Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, MJI said:

I need to get some solder paste or paint, for two types of jobs, laminating, and detail adding, such as lamp irons and foot steps.

Any recommendations please, just spent  an hour cleaning my 0-4-4T

There are lots of options on eBay and Amazon with different melting points with or without lead, some in syringes and some in little jars. If you go with a syringe they state that you should use it all in one go but if you have a proper syringe cap you will get more than one use out of it by putting cling film over the top of the syringe before you put the cap on. If you have used it with a blunt needle type applicator that some of them come with make sure you expel the solder from the needle before removing it from the syringe to do this hold it upright needle uppermost and draw the plunger backwards then remove the needle and push any air out and seal as above. The jar type can be kept fresh by covering the top of the open jar with clingfilm before you screw the top back on Even so I would go with Carrs if you are prepared to wait a bit longer for delivery as it seems to stick to the brass better when you paint it on. If it goes dry you can revive it by crushing it up into a powder and mixing it back into a paste with phosphoric acid but I would also use clingfilm as above to keep it fresher longer.

Regards Lez.

Edited by lezz01
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Just put in an order with Precision.

Thinners

Wagon underframes

Bus paint (PECO Leyland Nationals)

Solder

Will order other bus paint on bus 2

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

May have a go at a tender loco, for my BR blue era.

1985 colours

VERY clean

No outside valve gear

Got half the train already

Rode on footplate around Horton Road

Can't find any available Castle kits.

WIll I have to get RTR?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, lezz01 said:

Wizard Models do a chassis pack and there are RTR bodies on eBay. 

Regards Lez.

Thanks, I wil take this route, but later in year, I want a couple of 0-4-4Ts done first.

Taking ONE easy route, will be plain line, no station so they can just go past.

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, MJI said:

I am also after a MR 1P 044T is Craftsman LK3 suitable for 58071?

Is that the Belpare boiler version or the round top?

I don't think that there is much external difference between the Johnson 0-4-4Ts. I think that the main differences were internal i.e. cylinders but I may be wrong. 

Regards Lez.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hello Tony

The best I have had was when demonstrating how to misshape plastic card on a DEMU stand this chap telling me I was doing wrong as Clive Mortimore said how to do it in DEMU's Update magazine. My college sitting next to me waited for him to walk away, he checked my name badge and said "I hope I collected the right Clive Mortimore when I picked up this morning".

Well at least your mate had the decency not to roll around on the floor laughing his head off.

Regards Lez.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Is that the Belpare boiler version or the round top?

I don't think that there is much external difference between the Johnson 0-4-4Ts. I think that the main differences were internal i.e. cylinders but I may be wrong. 

Regards Lez.

Round top, difficult to find

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hello Tony

The best I have had was when demonstrating how to misshape plastic card on a DEMU stand this chap telling me I was doing wrong as Clive Mortimore said how to do it in DEMU's Update magazine. My college sitting next to me waited for him to walk away, he checked my name badge and said "I hope I collected the right Clive Mortimore when I picked up this morning".

Great stories, we need more of these

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, MJI said:

May have a go at a tender loco, for my BR blue era.

1985 colours

VERY clean

No outside valve gear

Got half the train already

Rode on footplate around Horton Road

Can't find any available Castle kits.

WIll I have to get RTR?

South Eastern Finecast make a Castle, or two as they do the 3500 or 4000 gallon tenders.

http://www.sefinecast.co.uk/Locomotives/Bodyline Locomotive Kits 5.htm

They also do an etched chassis for it or you could go with the Comet one.

Jason

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

As regards RTR or Kit build, I model in 7/8ths on Peco 0.16.5 track so everything is scratch built around RTR chassis or modified with HLK gearboxes... if I carry on at my present rate I will have more stock etc. than track...

I take my hat off to those who can scratch build or kit build 4mm loco chassis that work like sewing machines

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MJI said:

I need to get some solder paste or paint, for two types of jobs, laminating, and detail adding, such as lamp irons and foot steps.

Any recommendations please, just spent  an hour cleaning my 0-4-4T

You don't need solder paste for laminating, just clamp the parts together and run flux and solder along the edges, capillary action will take the solder in.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, MJI said:

Round top, difficult to find

Rumney models do a nice chassis kit for both the Bachmann body and the Craftsman body, different kits you understand. The body is available as a spare part from Bachmann. Do you want the etched brass kit or the WM kit as Craftsman did both?

regards Lez. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Rumney models do a nice chassis kit for both the Bachmann body and the Craftsman body, different kits you understand. The body is available as a spare part from Bachmann. Do you want the etched brass kit or the WM kit as Craftsman did both?

regards Lez. 

Just found round top from a web search to a soon closing shop

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, MarkC said:

That looks to be a bargain, tbh. Surprised that it's still available at time of tryping this...

Matk

No it's still there. as of right now. It might be because that it's in the wrong place it should be under Locomotive kits or kit built locomotives but it's just under Locomotives so it doesn't come up if you search locomotive kits.

Regards Lez.

Edited by lezz01
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I have used the Hornby 110 for several BRCW conversions , 2 car, 3 car and 4 car. A Gloucester 2 car 100, a Derby 2 car 108, a Derby 2 car long underframe 114, a Derby 107 and both of the Derby Lightweight single cars have been made form the humble 110. I keep thinking about a doing a Press Steel 103, I have a 110 that has not as yet been attacked. 

I thought the Cl.103 was built by Park Royal?

An addiction to Multiple Units and an allergy to paint!  Poor chap.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's a little K1 telephone kiosk constructed from the Shire Scenes kit in the Dart castings range.

IMG_20240120_190751888.jpg.05334e93c3b1620092cea6c77908a027.jpg

The idea is that this 1920s kiosk will be interchangeable with the more familiar K6 red kiosk on my layout. One thing I like about railway modelling is you learn a lot about social history and technology beyond the railway boundary.

Cheers, Al

• Like 14
  • Agree 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

I thought the Cl.103 was built by Park Royal?

An addiction to Multiple Units and an allergy to paint!  Poor chap.

Hi Northy

You are right they were, I will edit my post.

Still can't make up my mind to convert a 110 into a 103.

• Like 1