Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

On another point does anyone have a use for 2 spare Hornby coach bodies free to a good home. i've used the chassis and boigies for a couple of coaches I am building

if so send me a message

Sparecoachbodies.jpg.de5470ce113ab09c32d9238d7e512d72.jpg

Edited by John Besley
  • Like 1

This turned up on my facebook page this morning. Seeing that this seems to be the place for information about the history of these machines I will post it here. No doubt more knowledgeable folk can provide chapter and verse on were it is going for its holidays. Apologies re lack of copyright information.

Bernard

417438337_10161891807503313_8953617535549043962_n.jpg.0267d2ce8d7b40f9269e8d032c883bf9.jpg

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

This turned up on my facebook page this morning. Seeing that this seems to be the place for information about the history of these machines I will post it here. No doubt more knowledgeable folk can provide chapter and verse on were it is going for its holidays. Apologies re lack of copyright information.

Bernard

417438337_10161891807503313_8953617535549043962_n.jpg.0267d2ce8d7b40f9269e8d032c883bf9.jpg

Good morning Bernard,

Liverpool? Not going on holiday to, but from.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Bernard,

Liverpool? Not going on holiday to, but from.

Regards,

Tony. 

Morning all, my first thought was 4472 going off to Australia but I can't distibuish the number. Terrific looking photo though, great composition with all the girders, the crane and the ship dwarfing a loco we're used to seeing as the largest thing in the picture!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Is that when 4472 was shipped of to USA in 1969 as she has a crest on her cabside instead of the loco number, which was on one of her two tenders

Well spotted, I think that's right. I'd been puzzling over the cabside marking and of course it's not a number at all!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Yes it's Liverpool with the floating crane Mammoth.

Thanks Mike,

The reason I thought it was Liverpool (not knowing of the MAMMOTH crane) was that the buildings across the Mersey looked to be those in Birkenhead (where I taught for three years).

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

Thanks folks for the folow up comments. There is a video on ytube The full stoty of Flying Scotsman's trip to the USA, and it was 1969. Liverpool to Boston on the Saxonia. I was not aware of the details, nor that it was a political tour backed by Harold Wilson, nor to the extent of the stock that also made the journey.

Bernard

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

. I commissioned it from Kings Cross/EAMES in 1976, the cost being £27.00! What that is in today's money, I've no idea, but a fair bit.

According to the BoE it’s £174.12. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

According to the BoE it’s £174.12. 

Probably what a (late lamented) DJH kit of one might now cost, had there been one... Nice job saving it from the bin, Tony.

• Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

Thanks folks for the folow up comments. There is a video on ytube The full stoty of Flying Scotsman's trip to the USA, and it was 1969. Liverpool to Boston on the Saxonia. I was not aware of the details, nor that it was a political tour backed by Harold Wilson, nor to the extent of the stock that also made the journey.

Bernard

There is also an excellent pdf article about the tour. See https://www.academia.edu/23561018/Flying_Scotsman_modernity_nostalgia_and_Britain_s_cult_of_the_past_  Free to download/read.

Afternoon everyone,

I'm still on the hunt for some Markits 6'2" 18 Spoke LNER Driving wheels, I can't seem to find them anywhere! Got to a point with my NER G class where I can't continue without them!

If anyone has any sat in a draw and you don't need them anymore, please direct message me so we can discuss a price. I only need 4, gauge not important 😀

many thanks,

Dylan

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Dylan Sanderson said:

Afternoon everyone,

I'm still on the hunt for some Markits 6'2" 18 Spoke LNER Driving wheels, I can't seem to find them anywhere! Got to a point with my NER G class where I can't continue without them!

If anyone has any sat in a draw and you don't need them anymore, please direct message me so we can discuss a price. I only need 4, gauge not important 😀

many thanks,

Dylan

It's seemingly difficult to source ANY Markits products!

I need a few axles of their LOWMAC wheels, but they can't be had for love nor money.

I know that Gibson do them, but I find that their narrower wheel treads drop into the crossing gap of Code 72 track.

CJI.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

For those suffering from insomnia............

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AiRP3jVN2v0pszzrSEL92Be9BFSC?e=w0yeuF

Excellent video Tony, and witness to the perfect running qualities of the locos that you have built.

Sad that all kit-built locos don't perform in this way (in my limted experience!).

Tony

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

Excellent video Tony, and witness to the perfect running qualities of the locos that you have built.

Sad that all kit-built locos don't perform in this way (in my limted experience!).

Tony

Thanks Tony,

I suppose I could be described as a zealot when it comes to running on my model railway; the running of the stock as well as the locos. 

I'm lucky in that I have scenic-side trackwork made/laid by the best in the business - Norman Solomon, who's due to depart these shores before long for a life in Australia. With good track, then good running should be relatively easy to attain; as long as the locos/stock are to the 'same' standard. 

I've gone on at length at how many kit-built locos pass through my hands which don't work. Not to the standard I insist upon, anyway. Many look quite good, well finished and accurate in appearance with quite often a high standard of painting. Then, I put them on the test track and it's a tale of woe! What I've found is that most (yes, most!) are noisy, jerky, rough, incapable of negotiating even large radii, subject to short circuits and derailments. Why? Most are built too 'tight'. The drive is not free enough, the bearings have not been reamed, coupling rods have a tight spot or two (the excuse that they'll run-in is twaddle!), pick-ups are a hopeless muddle, clearances are inadequate (a frequent fault is a loco-to-tender coupling which will only work on dead straight track) and 'thoroughly-tested' means that they'll go from one end of a yard of dead straight track, and back, but only just! And, only under full power.

In the main, I've got quite a few to work, and then sold them (in good causes). My 'donation' to these causes is my time, as is Mo's. Those where it would take a complete mechanical rebuild to get them running well, I sell to those capable of doing just that; at a price commensurate with that imperative. 

I know a few modellers who've now gone completely RTR, such is their dissatisfaction with kit-builds, some of which have been commissions.

Regards,

Tony.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Dylan Sanderson said:

Afternoon everyone,

many thanks,

Dylan

Theres a set of Sharmans on eBay which looks the correct size,depends if you're happy to use push on wheels? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155954217248?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=91BfgljoQsS&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=Kucr-G-lStW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Yes Captain . It happened to me many years ago , probably the late seventies when they were Romfords ; before Markits I would say . The milled ends were well out of quarter on one axle . 

Regards , Roy

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1