Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold

I did ask about some Stevenson kits in April 2021. I got a very quick and positive reply saying the ones I wanted were on order and would be a couple of weeks and gave a price. I replied saying that was fine and requested they let me know when in stock. I followed up a couple of times after a few weeks, then  a couple of months with no response.

Fortunately I found what I wanted elsewhere.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 18/02/2024 at 15:55, Tony Wright said:

A quick question, if I may (and it's way outside my comfort zone)?

A friend has been handed some 40 Lima diesels, all mint, boxed and unused. I know not from where or whence they came (though it looks like the result of a bereavement), but he's seeking to sell them and has asked my advice. Since that advice would be negligible I'm asking the question - what might they be worth each? 

I'm certainly not abusing the privileged position I have on Wws where Mo and I sell kit-built items on behalf of bereaved/distressed families (we don't 'deal' in RTR), but when I know exactly what there is I'll post a list should anyone be interested, passing on details to my friend. 

Thanks.

I'd be interested in a class 33 chassis if there was one ....  used them before and have another project build in mind.

Let me know

Hello all,

I'm currently dabbling in modelling some Eastern Region stock as, although my main interest is in the copper-capped machines from out West, I do have a soft spot for the Gresley Pacifics. The locomotive I'm wanting to model is A3 60066 Merry Hampton as she was in the early 1960s, as that is the era I mostly model in. In this condition, she had the A4 boiler as fitted to some A3s and this has given me a problem in finding a suitable base model to start. My original plan was to use the DJH kit for the A3 as I enjoy kit building, but the kit doesn't cater for the boiler variant I require for my chosen prototype. I did consider using a Hornby A3 as a basis, but the required base models are hard to find for a good price. As most residents and regulars to this chat are more seasoned Eastern modellers than I, what would you all suggest?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
On 18/02/2024 at 16:50, MJI said:

Yes they do, and compete against modellers,  need 47s, get 4 or 5 Lima for the price of a Bachmann.

They look like 47s even though moulded handrails and the like. But a bit of work, flushglaze, respray, nice transfers,  they look fine infront of a passenger train at speed.

The 31 is liked as well, tends to be a good rehome for Hornby mazak rot drivechains.

I would recommend Ebaying if they know ebay.

I go for the tatty rather than mint in box.

You've obviously had more Lima diesels than I have but would concur with your comments on the 47; it was the first 4mm scale 47 that looked like one.  Never had their 31, I'm actually quite happy with my Airfix and Triang ones, mostly for sentimental reasons.  Even my Deltics and 50s aren't being replaced, just tweaked.  I have a collection of Lima HST power cars for spares/repair in front of me right now and they look right as far as I'm  concerned, so I've never felt the need to spend a huge amount on acquiring a Hornby one. 

There are definitively cycles with Lima prices.  Many went up in value after the company went into receivership, but when Bachmann et al brought out their versions of the same classes, Lima models got dumped and prices fell sharply.  However, they quickly recovered when those who wanted four locos for the price of one new one, hoovered up all they could get hold of.

From Tony's POV, these aren't going to earn much so would recommend someone puts them on eBay in batches of four or five, unless as others said, there are special editions which can be worth much more than an ordinary liveried example.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Even my Deltics and 50s aren't being replaced, just tweaked. 

I have quite a few Lima locos and when detailed look very good, except the Deltic which is wrong in so many areas I gave up, probably the worst model they made!

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Lemmy282 said:

I have quite a few Lima locos and when detailed look very good, except the Deltic which is wrong in so many areas I gave up, probably the worst model they made!

Of their diesels, maybe, although I like mine.

If we consider their steam locos, the Hawksworth Pannier and J50 are quite good dimensionally above the running plate.  The chassis however, well there aren't the words in the English language.  Anglo-Saxon on the other hand..........  Probably their worst loco overall was the LMS Crab*; it is amusing to look back at the very easy-going reviews of the time and even they are pretty damning with feint praise.

*But we still have one!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Probably their worst loco overall was the LMS Crab

The buffers were quite good, as was the whistle, but anything between or below was awful.

Alan

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5

6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

American 00?

Something I’ve always wanted to see done to a high standard.  I do wish British H0 was more popular as well.  P4 feels best in my hands though.  I still have an omnipresent fascination with z scale live steam also, rather unfortunately  

Rohan

Edited by 1471SirFrederickBanbury
Forgot the punchline!
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

My 31s are Triang and Airfix.

47s a right mix. But 4 Lima ones.

One 50 is stretched bogies.

Western is ok.

Nothing BRCW yet.

Most of my Bachmann locos were when around £40.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Northmoor said:

You've obviously had more Lima diesels than I have but would concur with your comments on the 47; it was the first 4mm scale 47 that looked like one.  Never had their 31, I'm actually quite happy with my Airfix and Triang ones, mostly for sentimental reasons.  Even my Deltics and 50s aren't being replaced, just tweaked.  I have a collection of Lima HST power cars for spares/repair in front of me right now and they look right as far as I'm  concerned, so I've never felt the need to spend a huge amount on acquiring a Hornby one. 

There are definitively cycles with Lima prices.  Many went up in value after the company went into receivership, but when Bachmann et al brought out their versions of the same classes, Lima models got dumped and prices fell sharply.  However, they quickly recovered when those who wanted four locos for the price of one new one, hoovered up all they could get hold of.

From Tony's POV, these aren't going to earn much so would recommend someone puts them on eBay in batches of four or five, unless as others said, there are special editions which can be worth much more than an ordinary liveried example.

Good morning Rob,

Though I might 'move' the odd one on, I'm not taking on the 'Lima diesel project' for sale. I've learned that their sales are not on behalf of a distressed/bereaved family, which means using Wws as a vehicle for selling them is inappropriate.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

10 hours ago, B661Sutton said:

Hello all,

I'm currently dabbling in modelling some Eastern Region stock as, although my main interest is in the copper-capped machines from out West, I do have a soft spot for the Gresley Pacifics. The locomotive I'm wanting to model is A3 60066 Merry Hampton as she was in the early 1960s, as that is the era I mostly model in. In this condition, she had the A4 boiler as fitted to some A3s and this has given me a problem in finding a suitable base model to start. My original plan was to use the DJH kit for the A3 as I enjoy kit building, but the kit doesn't cater for the boiler variant I require for my chosen prototype. I did consider using a Hornby A3 as a basis, but the required base models are hard to find for a good price. As most residents and regulars to this chat are more seasoned Eastern modellers than I, what would you all suggest?

Good morning,

A couple of points, if I may? 

The DJH A3 boiler (if one can obtain the kit - it's been out of production for a long time) can be modified to produce a Dia. 107 type - move the last cladding band further forward to produce the combustion chamber, alter the boiler/firebox conjunction to suit (file and fill!) and reposition the firebox wash-out plugs. Also move the streamlined dome further forward. 

I was astonished when Hornby released its A3 with an A4 boiler (CORONACH, I think), something no kit-manufacturer has ever offered at source. 

Don't forget that MERRY HAMPTON had the raised roof ventilator at the time you're modelling (switching cabs with St. SIMON). The last time I saw her was 64 years ago, bowling through Retford on the Down morning Talisman'. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

Lima Diesels - Good in their day, not excellent, but good. I have quite a few bought in the late 80's / early 90's for around £15 - £20 a pop brand new. My 47 "special edition" collection numbers a dozen or so. They are quite nice, probably worth a few quid more.

They growl when running, a drop of oil on the pancake motor central bearings helps.

The wheels are brass and tarnish over time, just pop them out and clean them up, a drop of switch cleaner helps.

The traction tyres can spin / come loose etc. I bought a few packets cheaply at Wigan MRE a few years ago.

And that's it. Simple. No faffing around with  electrickery !!

Unlike Bachman and Heljan I have NEVER had one fail. They're like cockroaches you just can't kill them !!

Value today ? Not a great lot. Have a look on Elaines Trains for approximate values, good ones are around £20-£30 today.

Oh and yes, their Steam locos were dire.

Brit15

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

their Steam locos were dire

That's a bit harsh! They produced some locos that weren't available RTR elsewhere and which scrubbed up quite well. I still have my oft-repainted King, although it doesn't run regularly in Mid-Cornwall, and before the latest Bachmann 94xx came along the Lima body wasn't at all bad (the chassis was dire, though, so an easy fix, if you didn't mind the splashers being slightly misaligned, was to plonk it on a Bachmann 57xx chassis. See also http://www.gwr.org.uk/pro94xx.html.

Can't speak for any of the other railways' prototypes though.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

What about wheeling the old British HO one out of the cupboard?! 😉

Like this?  And Lima, I think I have a H0 "scale" 4F somewhere so I have hit two topics with one loco.  But maybe I just dumped it being pretty awful. 60103again.jpg.006f4b9765d6bd92830b2cec0869391e.jpg

Edited by Mark Laidlay
  • Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I'll know later this morning.

Hopefully someone can advise if anything of potential interest is present.

On 18/02/2024 at 16:44, Tony Wright said:

Do folk really collect Lima?

They certainly did, and some maybe still do*. The range ultimately developed for the collectorati, with new liveries released every month, to potentially enable the completists to have every class XX in every livery it ever carried, had Lima remained in business. 

*A new UK distributor engaged the revived Vi-Trains operation in an attempt to restart this programme with a couple of diesel models, but on the evidence available the collectorati had 'moved on' we know not where. I am still waiting for a report of a house collapsed under the weight of a RTR OO model railway collection...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

That's a bit harsh! They produced some locos that weren't available RTR elsewhere and which scrubbed up quite well. I still have my oft-repainted King, although it doesn't run regularly in Mid-Cornwall, and before the latest Bachmann 94xx came along the Lima body wasn't at all bad (the chassis was dire, though, so an easy fix, if you didn't mind the splashers being slightly misaligned, was to plonk it on a Bachmann 57xx chassis. See also http://www.gwr.org.uk/pro94xx.html.

Can't speak for any of the other railways' prototypes though.

GWR 45XX being far too big over the tanks, firebox and cab to fit the motor in. I'm pretty sure the 94XX suffered from similar enlargement.

Also the Crab having the cab and tender the same width!

I'm afraid Lima did have problems with scale and seemingly reading the drawings. Still befuddled by what was going on when it came to the horse box roof....

L305826_3088503_Qty1_1.jpg

Despite the livery and crude chassis it's not a bad model of a GWR horse box. Obviously superseded by the newer Hornby one.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
Autocorrect changing words!
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

Lovely Brits Tony.

Carlisle August 1967, Birmingham - Leeds - Glasgow train (Jubilee Leeds to Carlisle). 45562 Alberta comes off.

2013-01-09-21-10-33.jpg.bf142a8bbd8a3ee0b8c83110253c182b.jpg

And 70028 Royal Star awaits to go on. Nice tender view.

2013-01-09-21-11-09.jpg.e5bc571bf823f825bf750739b10f7d5c.jpg

2013-01-09-20-12-39.jpg.17989b60db2a9b744a02c1e5e820f9c5.jpg

Our ride home south to Wigan, mucky black 5. If I remember correctly the train was 1M31 !!!!!!!! (Anyone dare to model this ?)

2013-01-09-20-13-44.jpg.c39421b8ab7ba1da698f4928db7d0f05.jpg

The Brits put on a good show between Crewe & Carlisle until the end.

Vulcan southbound at Springs Branch. 1966/67, Dad's photos.

SPRINGSBRANCH70024SBDND.jpg.9b1f121e92c4d7a581051360982c12e8.jpg

Firth of Forth slogs up to Boars Head, Wigan. Plenty of steam !!!!

WHITLEYCROSSING70051NBDND.jpg.d7511b3ea9ced0c73b5acf0bd9530fe0.jpg

With steam to spare, Western Star coasts down the bank.

WHITLEYCROSSINGND70025SBDPSGR.jpg.abd81bb7d0ee57e2e2824c148b180c52.jpg

And soon they were gone, along with their wonderful chime whistles.

Brit15

Thanks for some great shots.

They've illustrated the variations in the mass of pipework/conduits on the fireman's side of a Brit's firebox.

I've yet to find two exactly the same, and have modelled them accordingly.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Still befuddled by what was going on when it came to the horse box roof....

L305826_3088503_Qty1_1.jpg

Apparently the Lima model makers only had side and end elevations to work from.  That made it appear that the vents were arranged in 4 rows of 3 instead of 2-1-2-1 (or thereabouts)

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2