Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

27 minutes ago, melmoth said:

Apparently the Lima model makers only had side and end elevations to work from.  That made it appear that the vents were arranged in 4 rows of 3 instead of 2-1-2-1 (or thereabouts)

And why I think the HO scale 4F had a reversing rod on both sides!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

American 00?

For once the Merican's have done something sensible and simple, 19 mm gauge track, closer than EM at 18mm or 18.2mm

Then of course there is 00fine, or what ever name it has this week  at 16.2mm.

As for Lima steam locos, I have a Crab ready to be made wider and converted to one with poppet valves.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, melmoth said:

Apparently the Lima model makers only had side and end elevations to work from.  That made it appear that the vents were arranged in 4 rows of 3 instead of 2-1-2-1 (or thereabouts)

It is a hedgehog box.

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Funnily enough something they got right on the N and O Gauge versions!

Jason

Not on the N gauge one they didn’t! It had a planked running plate and was nearly TT in width. 

Tim

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, Mark Laidlay said:

Like this?  And Lima, I think I have a H0 "scale" 4F somewhere so I have hit two topics with one loco.  But maybe I just dumped it being pretty awful. 60103again.jpg.006f4b9765d6bd92830b2cec0869391e.jpg

The Trix/Marklin A3 isn’t too much better.  It is detailed thoroughly, but the whole front end is off.  Between the wrong chimney, the underscale cylinders, the flat and seemingly big smokebox, and the look of the front of the running board, it throws the whole model off.  Such a shame considering the price of it.  At least she (Flying Scotsman) has been made better in brass. 

Rohan

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

Not on the N gauge one they didn’t! It had a planked running plate and was nearly TT in width. 

Tim

Ah. I meant not having two reversing rods!

Both the N and O versions are LHD LMS versions.

Thankfully by the time I wanted a 4F the Airfix one was available.

Jason

Lima has been mentioned. 

How about this....................?

LimaCrab01.jpg.ef9dd920800b03dfce22b1387d864c34.jpg

LimaCrab02.jpg.496c03956ca6f47ae71dfb860aa8dadd.jpg

A friend is donating several models for sale on behalf of CRUK (thanks so much, Ron).

They include this rather battered Lima Crab. What I find amazing is that someone has taken the trouble to remove the tender drive and fit a Mashima can motor and two-stage Comet gearbox in the loco!. Amazingly, it runs rather well. 

I'm tempted to scrap the thing, but retain the drive (which must be worth 40 quid). Any thought, please? I'm reluctant to make a replacement front buffer beam (time constraints) because I don't think that would add much value. 

Does anyone know the driving wheel axles' diameter, please? If the gear wheel has been altered (assuming it's not one eighth), then that will lessen any value. 

BachmannClass24.jpg.2b99f0828c164d38a2e39bcc0faa3658.jpg

My friend has also donated this Bachmann BR Sulzer Type 2.

It runs beautifully, but needs cab handrails (were these separate items, because fixing holes are present?). Has anyone any idea of a price for this, please?

More donated models should arrive tomorrow..............

Returning to Lima............

Lima45XX10.jpg.3a05184c82d484b60c519dd2abe9d2c8.jpg

Readers might remember my 'Budget Modelling' articles in BRM of late, where I turned this £20.00 loco into something 'more acceptable' (the chimney rim is now painted black). 

• Like 11

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

It runs beautifully, but needs cab handrails (were these separate items, because fixing holes are present?). Has anyone any idea of a price for this, please?

Bachmann do seem to have the spares available for it - https://bachmann-spares.co.uk/product/category/709/class-24--handrail-packs---cab%2bfront-door-grey-plastic--32-400/e3240-mis-01

I've broken enough over the years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

8 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Bachmann do seem to have the spares available for it - https://Bachmann-spares.co.uk/product/category/709/class-24--handrail-packs---cab%2bfront-door-grey-plastic--32-400/e3240-mis-01

I've broken enough over the years.

Brassmasters also do them, as well as a few other bits and pieces to tart these machines up a bit. Being etched brass they are probably a bit nearer to scale than the plastic Bachmann version.

Bernard

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

GWR 45XX being far too big over the tanks, firebox and cab to fit the motor in. I'm pretty sure the 94XX suffered from similar enlargement.

Also the Crab having the cab and tender the same width!

I'm afraid Lima did have problems with scale and seemingly reading the drawings. Still befuddled by what was going on when it came to the horse box roof....

L305826_3088503_Qty1_1.jpg

Despite the livery and crude chassis it's not a bad model of a GWR horse box. Obviously superseded by the newer Hornby one.

Jason

I'd understood the 94xx to be pretty good dimensionally and the King while crude, has a "massiveness" that the contemporary Hornby model didn't quite have.  I know the Small Prairie is tall but I have great affection for mine.  It came in GWR green but I really wanted a BR black one, just not lined, so hand-painted the green bits gloss black.  Considering I was about 13 at the time it still looks quite good now, even with the late BR emblems left over from an Airfix 9F.  Last year I bought some Gibson wheels and axles to replace the very poor pony wheelsets, I've some nice sprung scale buffers and Modelmaster early BR emblems.  Just needs finishing after nearly 40 years......!

• Like 2

Hi Tony,

I am glad that you have a plan for decent pipework on the class 5.  Personally I find this the most enjoyable bit of building standards.

I also enjoyed the pictures posted. To think that at the time the spotters thought them too modern...spaceships indeed!

Anyway I am looking forward to the result.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

GWR 45XX being far too big over the tanks, firebox and cab to fit the motor in. I'm pretty sure the 94XX suffered from similar enlargement.

Also the Crab having the cab and tender the same width!

I'm afraid Lima did have problems with scale and seemingly reading the drawings. Still befuddled by what was going on when it came to the horse box roof....

L305826_3088503_Qty1_1.jpg

Despite the livery and crude chassis it's not a bad model of a GWR horse box. Obviously superseded by the newer Hornby one.

Jason

I did say "some"! The 94xx body was a couple of mm too long but otherwise well proportioned.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Lima has been mentioned. 

How about this....................?

LimaCrab01.jpg.ef9dd920800b03dfce22b1387d864c34.jpg

LimaCrab02.jpg.496c03956ca6f47ae71dfb860aa8dadd.jpg

A friend is donating several models for sale on behalf of CRUK (thanks so much, Ron).

They include this rather battered Lima Crab. What I find amazing is that someone has taken the trouble to remove the tender drive and fit a Mashima can motor and two-stage Comet gearbox in the loco!. Amazingly, it runs rather well. 

I'm tempted to scrap the thing, but retain the drive (which must be worth 40 quid). Any thought, please? I'm reluctant to make a replacement front buffer beam (time constraints) because I don't think that would add much value. 

Does anyone know the driving wheel axles' diameter, please? If the gear wheel has been altered (assuming it's not one eighth), then that will lessen any value. 

The driving axles on the Lima Crab are not 1/8th, as you have to open out the slots in the weird plastic to accept 1/8th axles when you fit romfords to them (I've done that, but have now moved over to Wills crabs!). Does seem an odd thing to do to keep the Lima pizza cutters. 

If you do scrap it, can I have the cylinders and valve gear please, as I use it on the wills ones..... (And yes I did hear the scream from here!).

Andy G

Edited by uax6
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

The best livery too, especially with a train of crimson-and-cream coaches.

201606210046026KingJohnandCollettcoaches.JPG.a5739be3a4db1c4ce3761c508c2273de.JPG

Still looks good despite launching itself into the loco turntable pit on Leeds Victoria( an old layout built by members of the Leeds MRS).

Baz

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, uax6 said:

The driving axles on the Lima Crab are not 1/8th, as you have to open out the slots in the weird plastic to accept 1/8th axles when you fit romfords to them (I've done that, but have now moved over to Wills crabs!). Does seem an odd thing to do to keep the Lima pizza cutters. 

If you do scrap it, can I have the cylinders and valve gear please, as I use it on the wills ones..... (And yes I did hear the scream from here!).

Andy G

Good morning Andy,

I'll investigate further, though I'm in a bit undecided what to do. The options are.......

1. Make a replacement buffer beam, add buffers and then sell it complete. It is a good runner after all. Value? £25.00? Everything going to CRUK

2. Sell it as it is for; £20.00?

3. Dismantle it, throw the plastic bits away and release the motor gearbox. The problem might be, having ruined it as a runner, that the gear wheel has been permanently altered to accommodate the Lima axles. If it's just a sleeve, then that won't be a problem, but I can't see well enough without taking off the drivers (which are friction-fit). 

4. If 3 is successful, buy the motor/gearbox for future use in something more-worthy (the drive is worth more than the complete loco!) and sell you the motion for a modest donation to CRUK. 

5. If 3 is unsuccessful (which I won't know until the process is done), chuck the plastic bits but retain the motor and see if a replacement (final) gear can be obtained. Then sell the motion to you for a modest donation to CRUK. 

Anyone, any thoughts, please? 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

If you were being commercial it would be (2) every time. It’s just not worth the time to do anything else. Anything more is for love and I can’t see you putting much love into a Lima loco, so it’s still (2)!

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

The best thing to do with your Lima Crabs !!

5b5ytnrl.jpg

And your Replica B1's also. A nice place to sit in the Wigan sun and scoff your pies !!!!!

gijm3q61.jpg

Central Wagon, Ince, Wigan Mid 60's, Photos care of Wigan World.

Brit15

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

58 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

If you were being commercial it would be (2) every time. It’s just not worth the time to do anything else. Anything more is for love and I can’t see you putting much love into a Lima loco, so it’s still (2)!

Thanks, and agree!

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, APOLLO said:

The best thing to do with your Lima Crabs !!

5b5ytnrl.jpg

And your Replica B1's also. A nice place to sit in the Wigan sun and scoff your pies !!!!!

gijm3q61.jpg

Central Wagon, Ince, Wigan Mid 60's, Photos care of Wigan World.

Brit15

Whoa!

Look at that asbestos blanket flapping in the breeze!

CJI.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2