RMweb

Wright writes.....

Just the pannier and the PO wagon to sell now, after the other three went at Stamford (making £60.00 for CRUK! - can I make a round £100.00?). 

It's a very good show and worth attending.

See you there today? 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I expect this video is old hat to many, but I recently found it and thought there might be some interest. 

Tim

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
On 07/05/2024 at 17:47, St Enodoc said:

It's definitely not a Cotswold - I have one of those too. When I got it, I thought it was Nu-Cast (son of Cotswold?) but I'm sure I saw something on it marked DJH. When I have a chance I'll have another look.

In the meantime, a quick search reveals:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/364859478867

However, that's the only search result for DJH 42xx, so it's possibly described wrongly, although there's definitely a DJH box in one of the photos.

I had a chance to look at 4247 today. For a start, despite what I said above, I couldn't find any markings to indicate that it was a DJH model, so I reckon we can discount that.

The chassis is a typical Nu-Cast style thick frames, tubular spacers design, unlike my older Cotswold 4206 that has an ancient milled brass one-piece chassis, shaped to take an X04 motor. 4247's body assembly is subtly different from that on 4206 though. Perhaps when Nu-Cast took over the model and changed the chassis they changed some of the body moulds too?

Anyway, I'm not going any further and I think I'm happy now that 4247 is certainly a Nu-Cast model, nicely put together by the late Graham Bradley.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Chas Levin said:

Very nice job, but I thought the new Nu-Cast management were able to supply spares now? Mind you, thoroughly in keeping with the oft-stated principles of Wright Write to make things ourselves! 😊

I may not have been keeping up - the last I saw was that the existing kits had been transferred to Branchlines, but there was no clear news about spares or continued production of the kits. Let's hope the range continues. In the meantime, as you say, I kept to the spirit of Wright Writes and now that I've fitted the steps to the loco, they look really good!

Edited by Barry Ten
typo
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Apologies gents - looks like I was the one not keeping up to date! Though as someone commented on the NuCast Partners thread, it's a fast-moving hobby...

• RMweb Premium

At ExpoEM today I was able to pick up a several bargains*, including something I've needed for a while, a GCR tender for my K's O4 (which, Tony, you brought back to life at Woking show a few years ago).  However, while it appears to be a complete K's tender, unfortunately the chassis has been aligned using a rhombus.  What's the best way to dismantle it to rebuild it properly?  It's glued together and I seem to recall "dunking it in hot water" as an effective and safe method mentioned on WW before.

*A complete Cotswold GWR 72xx kit, part-built, including chassis assembled = £20

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

At ExpoEM today I was able to pick up a several bargains*, including something I've needed for a while, a GCR tender for my K's O4 (which, Tony, you brought back to life at Woking show a few years ago).  However, while it appears to be a complete K's tender, unfortunately the chassis has been aligned using a rhombus.  What's the best way to dismantle it to rebuild it properly?  It's glued together and I seem to recall "dunking it in hot water" as an effective and safe method mentioned on WW before.

*A complete Cotswold GWR 72xx kit, part-built, including chassis assembled = £20

Simmer in a saucepan of boiling water for a while and it'll revert to it's component parts.

Regards Lez. 

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

The GWR 42/52/7200 2=8=0/2-8-2T locos were also produced by K's. These had 16th inch thick brass chassis with screw assembled spacers. 

The Sutherland/Cotswold kits mostly had brass block chassis, whilst the Nu-Cast kits mostly had cast witemetal block or 'bar frame' looking chassis.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, jimwal said:

The GWR 42/52/7200 2=8=0/2-8-2T locos were also produced by K's. These had 16th inch thick brass chassis with screw assembled spacers. 

The Sutherland/Cotswold kits mostly had brass block chassis, whilst the Nu-Cast kits mostly had cast witemetal block or 'bar frame' looking chassis.

Thanks. Perhaps 4247 is by K's then? Any detectives out there?

202205080014270readyforreassemblyas4247.JPG.54c8763fa25cea9a221d262d282c1550.JPG

202205270054247complete.JPG.70e45b5fc0a4581d080b85a46f2afe94.JPG

202205270024247complete.JPG.2004d24673cf8b6e10e6591db6c8236c.JPG

202205270064247complete.JPG.02ffedeb6acb12812d212303c01ee538.JPG

Edited by St Enodoc
too many photos
  • Like 11

31 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Thanks. Perhaps 4247 is by K's then? Any detectives out there?

202205080014270readyforreassemblyas4247.JPG.54c8763fa25cea9a221d262d282c1550.JPG

202205270054247complete.JPG.70e45b5fc0a4581d080b85a46f2afe94.JPG

202205270024247complete.JPG.2004d24673cf8b6e10e6591db6c8236c.JPG

202205270064247complete.JPG.02ffedeb6acb12812d212303c01ee538.JPG

Looks Great Western to me 🤐

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Any detectives out there?

Here are some possible clues/red herrings (caveat - some may be due to different levels of bodgery between Graham and myself):

- 4206's footplate is continuous from front to rear. 4247's is in two parts, with the join in line with the tank front.

- The rivet patterns are different on the side tanks, bunkers and smokeboxes (hard to describe and I can't get a decent photo).

- 4206's cab doors have a representation of a handle near the top.

- 4206's whistles are further forward on the firebox top.

- 4247's boiler has a more pronounced taper and consequently its firebox projects further above the side tanks.

- 4247's cylinders have no backs.

- 4206 has a better-defined rivet pattern on the valances.

- 4206 has tapered buffers. 4247's are parallel.

- 4206's pony truck pivot is in line with the leading drivers. 4247's is in line with the cylinders.

- 4206's slidebars, crossheads and side rods appear "finer" than 4247's.

Oh, and thanks to @Jesse Sim for pointing us all in the right direction.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

Posted (edited)

It looks like what eventually became Nu Cast 42xx. The tools had an interesting life starting off as Western Precision Castings, then Sutherland Models and then Cotswold before moving on again to Nu cast.

It is the lost wax  crosshead that point me in this direction. The above kits would make only the straight frame version, hence the one piece footplate. For the over the cylinder footplate, you had to go down the K's route which came as a two piece casting to allow the alternatives.  Note both the K's and the Sutherland kit both became Nu cast to add to the fun.

Original frames were a solid milled brass block only replaced by a pair of sides with spacers in the Nu cast years.

A GWR  47xx and 4-6-0 County kit had a similar history.

Mike Wiltshire

wpc4.jpg.3b73cec3da169c5f4d6651c3c0a1484c.jpgwpc3.jpg.a774214984669680e7a168313e324cd9.jpgwpc6.jpg.01d0e7aeccd2e4dcb57222ade4d632ed.jpg

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Coach bogie said:

It looks like what eventually became Nu Cast 42xx. The tools had an interesting life starting off as Western Precision Castings, then Sutherland Models and then Cotswold before moving on again to Nu cast.

It is the lost wax  crosshead that point me in this direction. The above kits would make only the straight frame version, hence the one piece footplate. For the over the cylinder footplate, you had to go down the K's route which came as a two piece casting to allow the alternatives.  Note both the K's and the Sutherland kit both became Nu cast to add to the fun.

Original frames were a solid milled brass block only replaced by a pair of sides with spacers in the Nu cast years.

A GWR  47xx and 4-6-0 County kit had a similar history.

Mike Wiltshire

wpc4.jpg.3b73cec3da169c5f4d6651c3c0a1484c.jpgwpc3.jpg.a774214984669680e7a168313e324cd9.jpgwpc6.jpg.01d0e7aeccd2e4dcb57222ade4d632ed.jpg

Thanks Mike. I should have mentioned that 4206 - definitely Cotswold - has lost-wax crossheads and slidebars (integral with the cylinder backs). The boiler barrel was also, well, barrel-shaped...

From what you say, I now think that 4247 is from the Nu-Cast successor to the K's version rather than the Cotswold (and predecessors) version.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

I may not have been keeping up - the last I saw was that the existing kits had been transferred to Branchlines, but there was no clear news about spares or continued production of the kits. Let's hope the range continues. In the meantime, as you say, I kept to the spirit of Wright Writes and now that I've fitted the steps to the loco, they look really good!

I picked up this price list from the Branchlines stand at Expo EM at the weekend. He had kits on his stand.

Hope this helps.

Tony

IMG_1920 - Copy.JPG

IMG_1923 - Copy.JPG

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Just to report that I made over £80.00 for CRUK at the Stamford Show over the weekend. This was mainly from sales of my first BRM series of 'budget models', all but the Hornby pannier I reworked being sold. Had this gone, I'd have achieved my target of £100.00, but it'll eventually go...

Hornby57XX09.jpg.4f75f55c87ccf47f7d2d8b38bbdb32c9.jpg

Judging by prices asked for unaltered (and some rather tatty!) equivalents at Stamford, I thought £30.00 was fair.

Anyone interested (it's been in print!).

Budgetmodelling02Jinty08.jpg.c6d7a50ae8290cef947b859492209cc7.jpg

I've sold this Jinty from my second 'budget modelling' series already, for £35.00, all proceeds going to CRUK.  

• Like 18
  • Round of applause 1

1 minute ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

No front coupler! That knocks a tenner off the value in the perception of 'Mr Economy Purchaser' in my experience. I have one spare somewhere if that will help?

Many thanks,

Though I have a spare one which I can fit if required; it just looks better without it, but I take your point. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Baldyoldgit said:

IMG_1920 - Copy.JPG

IMG_1923 - Copy.JPG

I spoke to the proprietor of Branchlines at Expo EM. Some kits are available but of those that are not, some may reappear in the future, there is a lot of sorting out to do before that can happen. I was after an ex Great Eastern E4, sadly one of those not currently available.

Martyn

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Hello Tony and everyone

A friend found the items below during a clear-out of a modeller's garage. I'm not sure what scale the items are but the wheelsets are roughly 42mm back to back. They are sitting on a sheet of A3 paper.

If anyone wants the bits and pieces - and I would really insist on 'a modeller' as opposed to 'a dealer' - please PM me. I will post free of charge but will ask you to consider making a small donation to CRUK.

Fair enough?

Brian

IMG_9650.jpg

Edited by BMacdermott
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1