Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Thanks John,

Is it the American spelling? If I used it, I deserve a smack! 

Discrete in English is 'individually distinct', which might apply to tension-locks. Discreet, in the OED, means 'judicious' or 'prudent', 'circumspect' or 'not speaking out'. 

Food for thought? 

Are tension locks any more/less distinct, separate, than any other coupling?

I took it, in both instances, that discreet was meant, which can, I believe, also mean 'unobtrusive', 'subdued'.

Hardly a smack, perhaps a very discreet 'tut'.

Thanks Tone,

The relaying of the erstwhile EM Dunwich to P4 seemed to be compromised even more by the building of junctions at both ends. 

I must admit, it puzzled me why a perfectly-working layout should need to be changed into one that didn't. I cannot deny that, visually, P4 is superior to EM (and especially OO) in close-up, and looking at the relaid trackwork prior to my taking the pictures, it did look fantastic (as one would expect from Norman Solomon). However, the running was then compromised. In fairness, a lot of that was down to the stock in my opinion. 

Regards,

Tony. 

I thought it was a weird thing to do, too.  Layouts built by the Roy Jackson team have many virtues, but for me the main one is that they run as reliably as the real thing.  If you take rolling stock to Retford and it falls off, you don't have to spend any time at all working out where the problem lies.

Thanks Steve,

The pictures are not my property and I usually request copyright restrictions apply. 

Obviously, these pictures (and many more) will form the subjects of the books on RA9 ECML locos I'm writing, so will not be available on line (I have to earn a crust, as does the publisher). A few 'tempters' like these are all right (they print-up very badly I'm told because they're small files - they're reduced from massive ones). 

My aim in the forthcoming books is to say a lot more about the trains as well as the locos. I do get sick of reading captions where I'm told the build-date of a loco, its allocations and withdrawal dates, yet nothing about its train or the location of the shot. Some caption-writers just copy Yeadon and the RCTS. 

Regards,

Tony.  

Why does our railway press have this obsession with giving the withdrawal date every time there is a caption to write? To me it's the equivalent of the skull on a medieval banquet table: "As you are so I once was, as I am now so you will be".  It's normally the least interesting fact relating to the photo, though I accept that those of us who like goods wagons are going to be left to our own devices in deciphering the makeup of goods (or is it freight) trains.

Tone

• RMweb Premium

Tony,

I’m just back from Railex at Aylesbury. It was an excellent show with some superb layouts and just the range of traders that anyone could wish for. No shortage of metal kits at this show! I came away with a J6 from SE Finecast and a RDEB Tourist BTO both of which I’m looking forward to making.

Anyway, reason for posting is that I was looking for some low melt solder on the Hobby Holidays stall, and the proprietor drew my attention to his 100C white metal solder which he told me sticks (is that the right word for solder?) to brass as well as white metal thereby removing the need to tin the brass first. Have you come across this as it sounds too good to be true?! I wil try it out over the next few weeks and report back.

Regards

Andy

Although it needn't be a route to disaster if care and thought are applied, presumably the extra heat needed to form joints with that solder will reduce the margin of safety with respect to the risk of melting the white metal castings. I say that needn't cause a disaster as I did once accidentally pick up 140 degree solder when I meant to use the usual 73 degree lowmelt and still managed, with some difficulty, to build a lot of the white metal body of my Little Engines J11. Is there less chance of separating joints again in boiling water if the solder only flows at 100 degrees rather than 73?

Thanks Steve,

My aim in the forthcoming books is to say a lot more about the trains as well as the locos. I do get sick of reading captions where I'm told the build-date of a loco, its allocations and withdrawal dates, yet nothing about its train or the location of the shot. Some caption-writers just copy Yeadon and the RCTS. 

Regards,

Tony.

Fully agree. One of the reasons I like the David Geen et al “GWR in the 1930s” is for the appendices listing where identifiable the coach diagrams. Invaluable for learning how to recognise different coach types.

David

• RMweb Premium

Fully agree. One of the reasons I like the David Geen et al “GWR in the 1930s” is for the appendices listing where identifiable the coach diagrams. Invaluable for learning how to recognise different coach types.

From what I have seen of published railway books, if you want to know about rolling stock/train formations as opposed to locomotives, the amount of available information is reduced by a factor of ten.

If you want to research station buildings or signal boxes, you can half that again.  

For other railway structures like bridges, viaducts etc., divide by ten again.  

For explanations of signalling practice, with thorough research you can manage to buy both books published on the subject.

It is amazing the number of new books being published - and often enthusiastically reviewed in magazines - which (to me anyway) are just endless collections of three-quarter views taken from the platform ends, with the odd wildly adventurous photographer who twice went to Dawlish.

Edited by Northmoor

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Steve,

The pictures are not my property and I usually request copyright restrictions apply. 

Obviously, these pictures (and many more) will form the subjects of the books on RA9 ECML locos I'm writing, so will not be available on line (I have to earn a crust, as does the publisher). A few 'tempters' like these are all right (they print-up very badly I'm told because they're small files - they're reduced from massive ones). 

Regards,

Tony.  

Hello Tony

The best captions are Class xyz built long time ago, scraped soon after this picture was taken seen here at Whatevertown, and a DMU. When the photo is of a DMU with the front of a steam loco appearing behind it. There is never a mention of the DMU class, the service it is on or any history of either the DMU or the service. Except if it is the last day of Whatevertown station being open. 

Tony,

I’m just back from Railex at Aylesbury. It was an excellent show with some superb layouts and just the range of traders that anyone could wish for. No shortage of metal kits at this show! I came away with a J6 from SE Finecast and a RDEB Tourist BTO both of which I’m looking forward to making.

Anyway, reason for posting is that I was looking for some low melt solder on the Hobby Holidays stall, and the proprietor drew my attention to his 100C white metal solder which he told me sticks (is that the right word for solder?) to brass as well as white metal thereby removing the need to tin the brass first. Have you come across this as it sounds too good to be true?! I wil try it out over the next few weeks and report back.

Regards

Andy

I've seen, but never tried, Phil's 100 degree solder.

I'll 'stick' with what I know. 

I think that's because most "Railway Enthusiasts" who caption these books are at best "locomotive enthusiats" who don't know much about the rest of the railway.  Even much of what is written abouit the locomotives is trainspotter hearsay rather than referenceable facts or the experience of professional railwaymen. This has got better over the last 30 years or so - at least there are now books on carriages and wagons where you can look some of this stuff up but the coverage is still very patchy.  Very glad to see that you intend to do this.

From what I have seen of published railway books, if you want to know about rolling stock/train formations as opposed to locomotives, the amount of available information is reduced by a factor of ten.

If you want to research station buildings or signal boxes, you can half that again.  

For other railway structures like bridges, viaducts etc., divide by ten again.  

For explanations of signalling practice, with thorough research you can manage to buy both books published on the subject.

It is amazing the number of new books being published - and often enthusiastically reviewed in magazines - which (to me anyway) are just endless collections of three-quarter views taken from the platform ends, with the odd wildly adventurous photographer who twice went to Dawlish.

I've been to Dawlish (more than twice), taken pictures of diesels there, written captions to my pictures and had them published in books - and received favourable reviews.

Gumph! (Readers of Viz will know what that means). 

• Like 1

Many years back, when I was conducting research for Leicester South and later for LNER passenger trains and formations, I found that the best approach was to do the research first and then find the photographs. That way I already had a good idea what I was looking for before trawling through photo collections.

Books can be incredibley misleading as photographic research material for two reasons. The first being that the quality of the captions are poor and the second being that they tend to represent the authors own biases to what is important. The best photographs were to be found in archives, private collections and those great little photo stands at exhibitions. In some cases, the images may not have been of the quality that would have made it into a book. However, they still contained a wealth of information that would otherwise have been lost.

Forearmed with a working knowledge of the subject to which I was interested, I was eventually able to write my own captions and then go back through books and find stuff that was hiding in plain sight. This was usualy because it had been mislabled as something else, had no information relevant to what was in the photo or was not the main subject matter. My own books will never sell on the second hand market due to the amount of crossing out of captions and copious marginalia.

• Like 2

Of course, not everyone wants to model an ECML depiction in BR steam days (in any scale/gauge), but I do, and, with help, have done. Today two dear friends came round and we ran every train on LB (over 50 movements) - in and out of kick-back sidings, round and round, at speed and at a crawl; with one derailment. Why? because I hadn't set the road correctly.  

One of the friends who came today was Graeme King. He brought some most-interesting pieces to run.

attachicon.gifM&GNR 0-6-0.jpg

How appropriate for the MR/M&GNR bit of the railway.

attachicon.gifP2 2003.jpg

This will go through its paces when LB goes LNER in August.

attachicon.gifA2 2 60503.jpg

This was suitable for LB in its current guise. 

Graeme will give chapter and verse as to how these ingenious conversions have been created.

I must apologize for taking a day or two to respond to the invitation to comment, and I must begin by thanking Tony and Mo for their hospitality on Friday. Little Bytham is certainly a pleasure to operate, and compared to Grantham with its strict interlocking the "use at will" controls for Little Bytham are much less demanding on one's powers of concentration when only limited numbers of simple moves are taking place at any one time. The "stage front" scenery on LB has become far more impressively complete since my last visit too, giving further cause for satisfaction.

The ex- M & GN 0-6-0 in those pictures is supposed to be one of those that became LNER class J41, formerly I believe class "D rebuilt", although its accuracy is restricted by its humble origins, the model being based on an absolutely ancient Triang 3F given to me more than 15 years ago. As the loco actually ran very nicely, even with its original (freshly cleaned) solid-backed Mazak wheels and I'm almost too mean to get rid of anything that might be useful, I felt I had to find a way to make use of it if possible. I did initially think of portraying an LMS 1930s condition 3F, for some reason working beyond Lincoln into the heart of Lincolnshire, but that idea (credible or not) gave way to the J41 option. The Triang tender consequently had to go, being replaced by a London Road Models (ex- George Norton) kit-built example. The chassis was improved with Markits/Romford wheels, representations of sandboxes, guard irons and brake gear, the moulded plastic brake shoes coming from either Ratio or Slaters I believe. Above the running plate I carved away the deep moulded skirts under the boiler, although the original chassis design prevents a completely convincing space under the boiler. The smokebox front was sliced off and moved forwards by the addition of some discs of plasticard behind it. Separate metal handrails were fitted, thin plastic used to add mock panelling to the lower cab sides, some careful filing and the addition of a capucheon re-styled the chimney, then various bits and pieces were used to improve or add items such as safety valves, whistle, lamp irons, lubricators, tablet catcher apparatus and brake pipes. I imagine that a more accurate J41 could now be made from the Bachmann 3F if anybody is so inclined.....

Here is the other side of the model:

post-3445-0-83110500-1527441946_thumb.jpg

Lord President in its A2/2 guise was the proof by example of my belief that a selection of the resin parts I had produced for A2/3 and A1/1 conversions, along with the etched valve gear drawn up by Morgan Gilbert, could be used to create an RTR-based A2/2 or A2/1. The loco uses a modified Bachmann A2 chassis, a substantial chunk of later style Hornby Margate A3 body, Hornby China A4 cab, Bachmann tender underframe with Hornby pattern A4 top, resin A1/1 smokebox, resin casting for the running plate ahead of the line of the first coupled axle, and resin frame pieces above the bogie. Tim Easter and Mick Bennett have I believe carried out similar conversions, possibly others have too. I also now remember that Simon Martin has produced an A2/1, or two, using the Bachmann V2 body as the basis for the body, making some aspects of the job much simpler, albeit at the cost of a compromised boiler shape and cab details that aren't as refined as they are on Hornby's A4s.

Lord President in its original P2 form is based on Hornby's Cock o' the North model, with, amongst other things, a replacement resin front for the body, new resin cylinders, more of Morgan's etched valve gear parts with some vital extras drawn up by N-gauge wizard Atso, another Hornby A4 tender top with full streamlined fairings added, along with (after a long pause and some head scratching) some metal strip, tube and wire made up into a representation of the Teloc speed recorder drive off the right rear coupled wheel, seen in the pictures below. As per most photographs of the P2s in their brief heyday, the presumably essential return crank is missing from the Teloc drive...

post-3445-0-03562000-1527443391_thumb.jpg

As this close up more effectively reveals, despite careful and thorough protective over varnishing, the only relatively recently applied edge lining transfers on the cab have already lost their white component in a couple of places:

post-3445-0-01256400-1527443528_thumb.jpg

Just for completeness, here are the other two members of the band now boasting inoperative speed recorder drives, Earl Marischal also having resin front and replacement valve gear, Cock o' the North having had only minor attention to details such as partial replacement of the ACFI plumbing and a "polished metal" finish to edges of wheel rims and to parts of valve gear.

post-3445-0-15081100-1527443830_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-49714500-1527443849_thumb.jpg

Edited by gr.king
  • Like 13

Lovely work Graeme, yes I have done all the Thompson Pacifics as mentioned above and one Bugatti nosed P2 and  lastly the W1 via Graeme's conversion kits, for myself and for others on commissions. All have gone together very well.

post-7186-0-61545300-1527448320.jpg

My last one, is on the workbench at the moment, a Apple Green A2/3 Edward Thompson what else !!!

Edited by micklner
  • Like 6

I must apologize for taking a day or two to respond to the invitation to comment, and I must begin by thanking Tony and Mo for their hospitality on Friday. Little Bytham is certainly a pleasure to operate, and compared to Grantham with it's strict interlocking the "use at will" controls for Little Bytham are much less demanding on one's powers of concentration when only limited numbers of simple moves are taking place at any one time. The "stage front" scenery on LB has become far more impressively complete since my last visit too, giving further cause for satisfaction.

The ex- M & GN 0-6-0 in those pictures is supposed to be one of those that became LNER class J41, formerly I believe class "D rebuilt", although its accuracy is restricted by its humble origins, the model being based on an absolutely ancient Triang 3F given to me more than 15 years ago. As the loco actually ran very nicely, even with its original (freshly cleaned) solid-backed Mazak wheels and I'm almost too mean to get rid of anything that might be useful, I felt I had to find a way to make use of it if possible. I did initially think of portraying an LMS 1930s condition 3F, for some reason working beyond Lincoln into the heart of Lincolnshire, but that idea (credible or not) gave way to the J41 option. The Triang tender consequently had to go, being replaced by a London Road Models (ex- George Norton) kit-built example. The chassis was improved with Markits/Romford wheels, representations of sandboxes, guard irons and brake gear, the moulded plastic brake shoes coming from either Ratio or Slaters I believe. Above the running plate I carved away the deep moulded skits under the boiler, although the original chassis design prevents a completely convincing space under the boiler. The smokebox front was sliced off and moved forwards by the addition of some discs of platicard behind it. Separate metal handrails were fitted, thin plastic used to add mock panelling to the lower cab sides, some careful filing and the addition of a capucheon re-styled the chimney, then various bits and pieces were used to improve or add items such as safety valves, whistle, lamp irons, lubricators, tablet catcher apparatus and brake pipes. I imagine that a more accurate J41 could now be made from the Bachmann 3F if anybody is so inclined.....

attachicon.gifSTA70960.JPG

Lord President in its A2/2 guise was the proof by example of my belief that a selection of the resin parts I has produced for A2/3 and A1/1 conversions, along with the etched valve gear drawn up by Morgan Gilbert, could be used to create an RTR-based A2/2 or A2/1. The loco uses a modified Bachmann A2 chassis, a substantial chunk of later style Hornby Margate A3 body, Hornby China A4 cab, Bachmann tender underframe with Hornby pattern A4 top, resin A1/1 smokebox, resin casting for the running plate ahead of the line of the first coupled axle, and resin frame pieces above the bogie. Tim Easter and Mick Bennett have I believe carried out similar conversions, possibly others have too.

Lord President in its original P2 form is based on Hornby's Cock o' the North model, with, amongst other things, a replacement resin front for the body, new resin cylinders, more of Morgan's etched valve gear parts with some vital extras drawn up by N-gauge wizard Atso, another Hornby A4 tender top with full streamlined fairings added, along with (after a long pause and some head scratching) some metal strip, tube and wire made up into a representation of the Teloc speed recorder drive off the right rear coupled wheel, seen in the pictures below. As per most photographs of the P2s in their brief heyday, the presumably essential return crank is missing from the Teloc drive...

attachicon.gifSTA70964.JPG

As this close up more effectively reveals, despite careful and thorough protective over varnishing, the only relatively recently applied edge lining transfers on the cab have already lost their white component in a couple of places:

attachicon.gifTeloc drive & lining, close up.jpg

Just for completeness, here are the other two members of the band now boasting inoperative speed recorder drives, Earl Marischal also having resin front and replacement valve gear, Cock o' the North having had only minor attention to details such as partial replacement of the ACFI plumbing and a "polished metal" finish to edges of wheel rims and to parts of valve gear.

attachicon.gifSTA70966.JPG

attachicon.gifSTA70971.JPG

That is stunning thank you Mr King.

Regards

Peter

I must apologize for taking a day or two to respond to the invitation to comment, and I must begin by thanking Tony and Mo for their hospitality on Friday. Little Bytham is certainly a pleasure to operate, and compared to Grantham with it's strict interlocking the "use at will" controls for Little Bytham are much less demanding on one's powers of concentration when only limited numbers of simple moves are taking place at any one time. The "stage front" scenery on LB has become far more impressively complete since my last visit too, giving further cause for satisfaction.

The ex- M & GN 0-6-0 in those pictures is supposed to be one of those that became LNER class J41, formerly I believe class "D rebuilt", although its accuracy is restricted by its humble origins, the model being based on an absolutely ancient Triang 3F given to me more than 15 years ago. As the loco actually ran very nicely, even with its original (freshly cleaned) solid-backed Mazak wheels and I'm almost too mean to get rid of anything that might be useful, I felt I had to find a way to make use of it if possible. I did initially think of portraying an LMS 1930s condition 3F, for some reason working beyond Lincoln into the heart of Lincolnshire, but that idea (credible or not) gave way to the J41 option. The Triang tender consequently had to go, being replaced by a London Road Models (ex- George Norton) kit-built example. The chassis was improved with Markits/Romford wheels, representations of sandboxes, guard irons and brake gear, the moulded plastic brake shoes coming from either Ratio or Slaters I believe. Above the running plate I carved away the deep moulded skits under the boiler, although the original chassis design prevents a completely convincing space under the boiler. The smokebox front was sliced off and moved forwards by the addition of some discs of platicard behind it. Separate metal handrails were fitted, thin plastic used to add mock panelling to the lower cab sides, some careful filing and the addition of a capucheon re-styled the chimney, then various bits and pieces were used to improve or add items such as safety valves, whistle, lamp irons, lubricators, tablet catcher apparatus and brake pipes. I imagine that a more accurate J41 could now be made from the Bachmann 3F if anybody is so inclined.....

Lord President in its A2/2 guise was the proof by example of my belief that a selection of the resin parts I has produced for A2/3 and A1/1 conversions, along with the etched valve gear drawn up by Morgan Gilbert, could be used to create an RTR-based A2/2 or A2/1. The loco uses a modified Bachmann A2 chassis, a substantial chunk of later style Hornby Margate A3 body, Hornby China A4 cab, Bachmann tender underframe with Hornby pattern A4 top, resin A1/1 smokebox, resin casting for the running plate ahead of the line of the first coupled axle, and resin frame pieces above the bogie. Tim Easter and Mick Bennett have I believe carried out similar conversions, possibly others have too.

Good evening Mr King,

Your P2 locomotives are stunning models but not exactly the kind of thing that was common on the southern end of the East coast mainline. No 062 will be the real star of the show for me. A locomotive unique to LB yet easily discarded in the grand scheme of things. I have to applaud your efforts with regard to the trouble being taken to get the LNER representation of LB right.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If you take rolling stock to Retford and it falls off, you don't have to spend any time at all working out where the problem lies.

In my case it would be because the wheels are too close together...

I must apologize for taking a day or two to respond to the invitation to comment, and I must begin by thanking Tony and Mo for their hospitality on Friday. Little Bytham is certainly a pleasure to operate, and compared to Grantham with its strict interlocking the "use at will" controls for Little Bytham are much less demanding on one's powers of concentration when only limited numbers of simple moves are taking place at any one time. The "stage front" scenery on LB has become far more impressively complete since my last visit too, giving further cause for satisfaction.

The ex- M & GN 0-6-0 in those pictures is supposed to be one of those that became LNER class J41, formerly I believe class "D rebuilt", although its accuracy is restricted by its humble origins, the model being based on an absolutely ancient Triang 3F given to me more than 15 years ago. As the loco actually ran very nicely, even with its original (freshly cleaned) solid-backed Mazak wheels and I'm almost too mean to get rid of anything that might be useful, I felt I had to find a way to make use of it if possible. I did initially think of portraying an LMS 1930s condition 3F, for some reason working beyond Lincoln into the heart of Lincolnshire, but that idea (credible or not) gave way to the J41 option. The Triang tender consequently had to go, being replaced by a London Road Models (ex- George Norton) kit-built example. The chassis was improved with Markits/Romford wheels, representations of sandboxes, guard irons and brake gear, the moulded plastic brake shoes coming from either Ratio or Slaters I believe. Above the running plate I carved away the deep moulded skirts under the boiler, although the original chassis design prevents a completely convincing space under the boiler. The smokebox front was sliced off and moved forwards by the addition of some discs of plasticard behind it. Separate metal handrails were fitted, thin plastic used to add mock panelling to the lower cab sides, some careful filing and the addition of a capucheon re-styled the chimney, then various bits and pieces were used to improve or add items such as safety valves, whistle, lamp irons, lubricators, tablet catcher apparatus and brake pipes. I imagine that a more accurate J41 could now be made from the Bachmann 3F if anybody is so inclined.....

Lord President in its A2/2 guise was the proof by example of my belief that a selection of the resin parts I had produced for A2/3 and A1/1 conversions, along with the etched valve gear drawn up by Morgan Gilbert, could be used to create an RTR-based A2/2 or A2/1. The loco uses a modified Bachmann A2 chassis, a substantial chunk of later style Hornby Margate A3 body, Hornby China A4 cab, Bachmann tender underframe with Hornby pattern A4 top, resin A1/1 smokebox, resin casting for the running plate ahead of the line of the first coupled axle, and resin frame pieces above the bogie. Tim Easter and Mick Bennett have I believe carried out similar conversions, possibly others have too. I also now remember that Simon Martin has produced an A2/1, or two, using the Bachmann V2 body as the basis for the body, making some aspects of the job much simpler, albeit at the cost of a compromised boiler shape and cab details that aren't as refined as they are on Hornby's A4s.

Thanks for all the information, Graeme,

It was great fun to operate LB with you and Charles on Friday. I said we ran every train, but did we run the pick-ups? I can't remember. 

Thanks, too, for your comments about LB's ease of operation. I know the layout's not that complicated (compared with some others), but, as I mentioned to you, I derive a great deal of pleasure in having guests/friends (they soon become one) visit, bring their own stock and run the railway. There's certainly no faffing around with loco addresses (weren't we Philistines regarding 'modernity'?) and no 'electrickery' present.

Returning to the locos you brought. For obvious reasons, the A2/2 interested me the most (I'm too young to have seen examples of the others), though the wee 0-6-0 was certainly the 'star'. I don't think I've ever seen a model of an M&GNR 0-6-0 before, particularly in LNER livery. Please bring it again in August. 

I'm amazed at your ingenuity, mainly because I wouldn't dream of tackling such complex conversions (much preferring all-metal construction). That others have exploited what you've done is a testament to your contribution to this great hobby. 

Being me, I couldn't resist a 'smug' moment when we tried out the Bachmann A2/3 conversion you did for me on that 14-car, kit-built 'extra'; where it just polished the rails. A near 40-year old metal A3, then just walked away with it. 

Many thanks again,

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

Tony,

Regards

Andy

Although it needn't be a route to disaster if care and thought are applied, presumably the extra heat needed to form joints with that solder will reduce the margin of safety with respect to the risk of melting the white metal castings. I say that needn't cause a disaster as I did once accidentally pick up 140 degree solder when I meant to use the usual 73 degree lowmelt and still managed, with some difficulty, to build a lot of the white metal body of my Little Engines J11. Is there less chance of separating joints again in boiling water if the solder only flows at 100 degrees rather than 73?

100 deg. solder has been available from Carrs for several years and, in my experience, is ideal for fixing w/m detailing parts to brass or n/s. It seems to have better flow characteristics than 73 deg. and so fills small gaps better. I don't know whether it would be good for building w/m kits if you feel you may have to dismantle them again.

Being me, I couldn't resist a 'smug' moment when we tried out the Bachmann A2/3 conversion you did for me on that 14-car, kit-built 'extra'; where it just polished the rails. A near 40-year old metal A3, then just walked away with it. 

Many thanks again,

Regards,

Tony.

So long as you actually wanted the rails polished just there, then at least no harm was done. Being serious instead for a moment, I agree that incidents such as that prove the value in certain situations of all heavy-metal construction. I know of one individual proposing to commence resin casting of loco parts using metal powder as a filler in the resin. Whilst I can see the potential for better weight, and possibly for a falsely metallic appearance, I cannot believe that strength will be maintained (especially in thin parts)if the overall quantity of continuous resin structure is interrupted by millions of metal particles.

No doubt somebody will be along in a moment with an amusing "heavy metal" image....

• Like 1

Good evening Mr King,

Your P2 locomotives are stunning models but not exactly the kind of thing that was common on the southern end of the East coast mainline. No 062 will be the real star of the show for me. A locomotive unique to LB yet easily discarded in the grand scheme of things. I have to applaud your efforts with regard to the trouble being taken to get the LNER representation of LB right.

Thank you for the kind remarks and I quite agree that "regionally typical" mundane money earners such as the (by then) elderly, re-built, high mileage Johnson-designed ex M & GN 0-6-0s will be a much more important part of a 1930s Little Bytham tribute / portrayal. I shall therefore be certain to provide J6s, a J2, a J3, a visiting J10 and a J11 or two for the big weekend, along with as many "lesser" 4-4-0s as I can muster. I might even manage to weather my J15 in time for the event, just in case there's a good excuse for its presence. Were time more strongly on my side I'd try to conjure up a D7, a 521 series J6 and a J5 to add to the mix, but those are likely to be projects for the future.

Edited by gr.king
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

So long as you actually wanted the rails polished just there, then at least no harm was done. Being serious instead for a moment, I agree that incidents such as that prove the value in certain situations of all heavy-metal construction. I know of one individual proposing to commence resin casting of loco parts using metal powder as a filler in the resin. Whilst I can see the potential for better weight, and possibly for a falsely metallic appearance, I cannot believe that strength will be maintained (especially in thin parts)if the overall quantity of continuous resin structure is interrupted by millions of metal particles.

No doubt somebody will be along in a moment with an amusing "heavy metal" image....

I believe that a form of 3D printing is available in metal, called I think, sintering.   My cousin who is a jeweller has produced some stunning work using this method.  Her speciality is architecturally inspired jewellery and she did a ring for a customer that had a model of Sydney Harbour bridge on it.  The model railway connection is that she helped me when I had some handrail supports cast for Long Preston.  I sent them off to be cast in brass and they came back, a bit bent in what looked like white metal.   I rang the firm to ask what had happened and they replied " We hadn't any brass so used sterling silver, you'll be able to straighten the pieces up OK.  The bridge was forever known as Faberge bridge after that.

Jamie

• Like 5

No doubt somebody will be along in a moment with an amusing "heavy metal" image....Thanks Graeme

Thanks Graeme,

It's a case of (race) horses for courses, of course. LB's needs are quite specific with regard to the hauling of heavy trains. If you recall, my one (much modified) Hornby A4 struggled to pull just nine cars.

It'll be interesting to see what happens during the LNER weekend. If the providers of stock wish, we can load some trains up to 15 cars. Hornby/Bachmann LNER locos might struggle with those, though. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

Thank you for the kind remarks and I quite agree that "regionally typical" mundane money earners such as the (by then) elderly, re-built, high mileage Johnson-designed ex M & GN 0-6-0s will be a much more important part of a 1930s Little Bytham tribute / portrayal. I shall therefore be certain to provide J6s, a J2, a J3, a visiting J10 and a J11 or two for the big weekend, along with as many "lesser" 4-4-0s as I can muster. I might even manage to weather my J15 in time for the event, just in case there's a good excuse for its presence. Were time more strongly on my side I'd try to conjure up a D7, a 521 series J6 and a J5 to add to the mix, but those are likely to be projects for the future.

I'm looking forward to it.

I should be able to provide a D3 as well, and a D9 (both right for the MR/M&GNER). And, another J6. 

• RMweb Gold

Finally today,

Just as a light relief from ensuring that I've got every detail right (or as right as I can) on a loco or carriage, how about this? 

attachicon.gifchickens.jpg

Anecdotal evidence suggests the stationmaster kept a bit of a 'smallholding' on his patch, including pigs and chickens. I have no idea whether this assembling of parts from Dart castings, Harburn Hamlet and a piddle of scratch-building is right. 

Firstly belated congratulations on passing the 1,000 posts mark Tony.

Now to chicken 'livery' - I would have expected to see Rhode Island Reds as the Stationmaster's favoured breed as they were the more prolific layer. (my aunt kept several hundred of them for her egg business) although the P;lymouth Rock whose livery you have favoured for the SM's henhouse were apparently easy to keep and pretty good layers.  The Large White is of course almost inevitably going to be the pig of choice for most folk back then so no debate there or indeed about the degree of weathering on your examples.  Lovely idea adding these features as it's all too easily forgotten the part played by allotments and keeping livestock in the lives of country station staff.

• Like 2