Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

I assure you that they were in the register, in their correct alphabetical place. 

At the beginning of each term I would write down the names of all my class in the register (in alphabetical order), then call out each name at the beginning of every day. How would 'miscreants' add names? The pupils never had access to the register. When I began teaching (in Birkenhead, in 1970) I was told that failure to keep an accurate class register (in every way) would result in (strict) disciplinary action. The school secretary collated the registers every Friday and the weekly attendances were sent to the LEA offices. 

Just across the Mersey, 20 years before, things were obviously different from the way they were in the 'Pool, as they were in Wolverhampton in 1974. 

I don't doubt you for a moment, Tony.  I remember being told by our Head of Sixth Form (late '80s) that there were only two things a teacher could normally expect to be dismissed for: sexual relations with a pupil and failure to keep an accurate register.

My experience was at University (actually the Poly at that time), where I don't think there was actually a requirement to keep a register, but some lecturers did it anyway for their own reasons.

Congratulations indeed Tony on reaching 1000 pages.

My small contribution to this milestone is a photo of a twin I have just made from two Hornby 51 footers. A first and a third as built 1929 for outer GN services and shown in Historic Carriage Drawings Vol 1 by Nick Campling. I must have been undertaking this conversion at the same time as Jesse was making an articulated twin from two Hornby coaches! I have rebuilt the underframes, mostly using the Hornby parts but also MJT 61'0 truss rods and queen posts as well as vacuum reservoirs. I probably should have also replaced the vacuum cylinders as they are rather small in diameter but then they are not really that noticeable on layout coaches. The battery boxes also should have been lengthened as it appears in Campling that they were longer than any fitted to normal stock. I have temporarily used a Hornby Gresley bogie for the articulated bogie until some MJT heavy duty bogies arrive. They are quite close together but will comfortably traverse 3 ft radius curves. Next time I have the air brush out the roofs will become grey!post-18984-0-62362100-1527295672_thumb.jpg

Regards

Andrew

Edited by Woodcock29
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Post no 25000 - just because I can.

Well done Tony and look forward to catching up later in the year.

So mine is the first post after 25,000 has been achieved. This thread has become a daily read for me... thanks to all.

I was hoping to find a nice picture of a locomotive number 25,000 but the nearest I could find was 25 001 in the wrong shade of blue.for this thread, so I’ll let the opportunity pass on this occasion!

• Like 1

Congratulations Tony on reaching page 1000.

I've been following this very informative thread for some time now and really enjoy reading it regularly.  There's been some magnificent contributions/discussions from yourself and many writers.

This is a picture of my 4mm offering "Grisedale".  I do build etched brass coaches (mostly Comet), but I must admit the locomotive and leading Mk1 you see on this picture are both RTR with a few tweaks by me along with the weathering I carried out.  The rest is scratch built though; drystone walls are scribed DAS clay, barn & tunnel mouth built from Wills plasticard, long grass from carpet felt dyed with Doncaster Green (a Barry Norman method).  Normally my layout is set firmly in 1963, but to appear in a modelling section of a magazine 2 years ago, the author requested I wind it forwards to 1967 for his readership.

Best Wishes

Edmund

Many thanks Edmund,

There is no need for you to 'admit' anything. What a wonderful picture. Does it matter whether the loco/stock is modified RTR? Not a jot to me. What's most important is that everything seen here is your own work. I've said before, I consider those who modify/improve/detail/weather/etc RTR items themselves are just as meritorious as those who build kits (many do both). 

You're not writing a report about who's done this or that for you, not 'boasting' about your latest acquisition nor having folk believe (by omission) that you're a 'modeller'. 

If this thread does nothing else (and we're already on page 1001!) than encourage folk to research and observe the prototype, and, above all else, to motivate guys/girls (why is a group addressed as 'guys' now, whatever its gender make-up?) to have a go at making things for themselves, by themselves and become self-reliant in their modelling, then it'll be all worth while - despite being 'long-winded'.

And finally, as a piece of 'constructive criticism', by the time the 'Peaks' were blue, the ends of carriages were the same as the body colour (though I except your layout is usually set in 1963).  

Kind regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Congratulations indeed Tony on reaching 1000 pages.My small contribution to this milestone is a photo of a twin I have just made from two Hornby 51 footers. A first and a third as built 1929 for outer GN services and shown in Historic Carriage Drawings Vol 1 by Nick Campling. I must have been undertaking this conversion at the same time as Jesse was making an articulated twin from two Hornby coaches! I have rebuilt the underframes, mostly using the Hornby parts but also MJT 61'0 truss rods and queen posts as well as vacuum reservoirs. I probably should have also replaced the vacuum cylinders as they are rather small in diameter but then they are not really that noticeable on layout coaches. The battery boxes also should have been lengthened as it appears in Campling that they were longer than any fitted to normal stock. I have temporarily used a Hornby Gresley bogie for the articulated bogie until some MJT heavy duty bogies arrive. They are quite close together but will comfortably tranverse 3 ft radius curves. Next time I have the air brush out the roofs will become grey!attachicon.gifIMG_9092 ps small 1.jpgRegardsAndrew

Great work Andrew (and Jessie),

This conversion’s been on my list for some time, but was pondering on how to do the underframe. Your approach sounds like a sensible approach which certainly captures the look of these elegant twins. I will promote mine up the ToDo list!

Andy

PS. Congratulations from me too Tony for your milestone. As others have said, this thread is a must read. It’s like my morning papers!

Great work Andrew (and Jessie),

This conversion’s been on my list for some time, but was pondering on how to do the underframe. Your approach sounds like a sensible approach which certainly captures the look of these elegant twins. I will promote mine up the ToDo list!

Andy

Thanks Andy - I must say I was planning this conversion from the time I got these when they first came out so they stayed on my 'To Do' list for quite a while! Not as long as some items though as I have kits bought in the mid 80s that I haven't built yet!

Andrew

Edited by Woodcock29

Many thanks Edmund,

There is no need for you to 'admit' anything. What a wonderful picture. Does it matter whether the loco/stock is modified RTR? Not a jot to me. What's most important is that everything seen here is your own work. I've said before, I consider those who modify/improve/detail/weather/etc RTR items themselves are just as meritorious as those who build kits (many do both).

Not only that, it is becoming increasingly essential. Over the last year, I have found my own efforts to complete projects increasingly difficult, due mainly to lack of stock in everything from paints, carriage components and wheels.

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks Edmund,

You're not writing a report about who's done this or that for you, not 'boasting' about your latest acquisition nor having folk believe (by omission) that you're a 'modeller'. 

If this thread does nothing else (and we're already on page 1001!) than encourage folk to research and observe the prototype, and, above all else, to motivate guys/girls (why is a group addressed as 'guys' now, whatever its gender make-up?) to have a go at making things for themselves, by themselves and become self-reliant in their modelling, then it'll be all worth while - despite being 'long-winded'.

And finally, as a piece of 'constructive criticism', by the time the 'Peaks' were blue, the ends of carriages were the same as the body colour (though I except your layout is usually set in 1963).  

Kind regards,

Tony. 

Tut tut Tony!!!!

Mike.

• Like 1

Tut tut Tony!!!!

Mike.

Well done that boy at the back! You weren't asleep after all.

Will you accept that it was a deliberate mistake? 

See me later, I'd like to see your work,

Sir. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well done that boy at the back! You weren't asleep after all.

Will you accept that it was a deliberate mistake? 

See me later, I'd like to see your work,

Sir. 

I suppose on this forum you could sentence people to having to line out locomotives or carriages.

I suppose a sliding scale would be appropriate, a BG for a first offence rising to a complete loco and tender for really serious ones.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

• RMweb Premium

A thousand pages, well less the banter, less the English lessons, the cricket reminiscing, less "Wot the 'ell is Mortimore on about", less, I am sure there is something I have missed out  :rtfm: , well done on fifty seven and a half pages of modelling. Wouldn't it be a boring thread if there was no interaction between those who pop on here. Well done everyone who contributes, even Enterprising Mike.  :fan: :fan: :fan:

• Like 6

Belated congratulations on reaching 1000 pages. As someone who, for health reasons, is often unable to do any modelling, this page is actually theraputic, often inspirational and certainly entertaining. Thank you Tony and everyone else.

• Like 4

Just thought I'd show off a little and put this here:

attachicon.gifP1020763.jpg

It's taken over a year, but turned out quite well in the end.  More information on my workbench thread:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/54704-31a-c-w/page-2ve, my compliments. 

Beautiful work Steve, my compliments.

Are they Southern Pride sides? They look too detailed to be BSL/Phoenix, unless you've done a lot of work.

Are they for you? 

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium

Just thought I'd show off a little and put this here:

attachicon.gifP1020763.jpg

It's taken over a year, but turned out quite well in the end.  More information on my workbench thread:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/54704-31a-c-w/page-2

They look fantastic Steve. I’ve only built the Mousa sides, but have a pair of the Southern Pride sides to build.

One question. You have put lining above the windows, whereas the photos I can remember seeing only have the waist level lining like most Gresley coaches in maroon. Do you have a photo on which you have based this?

Regards

Andy

As you're testing me to make sure I read all of the post, I think, with a slight variation on a theme, we've been here before!

Mike.

Am I testing you? 

My point about always mentioning the work of others (if that's what your post refers to), even though it might be repetitive, is that there are always new readers to the thread and I would be appalled if newcomers believed Little Bytham and all on it was solely my work. 

I really do tire of folk taking credit for the work of others (often by omission). It's not right and it's certainly not fair.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2

Finally today,

Just as a light relief from ensuring that I've got every detail right (or as right as I can) on a loco or carriage, how about this? 

post-18225-0-58630900-1527367303_thumb.jpg

Anecdotal evidence suggests the stationmaster kept a bit of a 'smallholding' on his patch, including pigs and chickens. I have no idea whether this assembling of parts from Dart castings, Harburn Hamlet and a piddle of scratch-building is right. 

post-18225-0-58630900-1527367303_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Beautiful work Steve, my compliments.

Are they Southern Pride sides? They look too detailed to be BSL/Phoenix, unless you've done a lot of work.

Are they for you? 

Regards,

Tony. 

Many thanks, Tony!  Yes, Southern Pride sides and most of the rest from Comet albeit that the bogies are MJT and the ventilators are 3D printed items from Mike Trice's Shapeways shop, which I was very impressed with.  Yes, they are for me and ideally I'd like another pair and the accompanying CK to make up a five coach set, but these have taken so long that I think the rest of the train will remain as Mark 1s, which did happen in later years anyway.

They look fantastic Steve. I’ve only built the Mousa sides, but have a pair of the Southern Pride sides to build.

One question. You have put lining above the windows, whereas the photos I can remember seeing only have the waist level lining like most Gresley coaches in maroon. Do you have a photo on which you have based this?

Regards

Andy

Thank you for asking, Andy - I hoped somebody would!  Initially when contemplating the livery I thought at least I'd only have to do the waist lining, as you say.  But the picture on p150 of "LNER Passenger Trains and Formations 1923-1967" (Banks & Carter) niggled me and I procrastinated long and hard!  To my mind, this picture DOES show lining above the windows although as you say, most Gresley outline stock didn't have it.  Looking for other pictures, in most it isn't possible to tell because of the light (e.g. p83 "Rail Centres - Peterborough", Peter Waszak) and another I found at Little Bytham of all places (p89, "Steam Memories: 1950s-1960s, East Coast Main Line: 2" almost convinced me that they should be there.  However I also found pictures of other Gresley outline flush panelled stock such as the ex streamliner coaches and Tourist stock, in which the upper line could definitely be seen.  So in the end, I decided to add it and now it's there, for better or worse!