Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Firstly belated congratulations on passing the 1,000 posts mark Tony.

Now to chicken 'livery' - I would have expected to see Rhode Island Reds as the Stationmaster's favoured breed as they were the more prolific layer. (my aunt kept several hundred of them for her egg business) although the P;lymouth Rock whose livery you have favoured for the SM's henhouse were apparently easy to keep and pretty good layers.  The Large White is of course almost inevitably going to be the pig of choice for most folk back then so no debate there or indeed about the degree of weathering on your examples.  Lovely idea adding these features as it's all too easily forgotten the part played by allotments and keeping livestock in the lives of country station staff.

Thanks Mike,

I have no idea which breed of chicken I've chosen to represent - I've just used blobs of various matt colours (not very scientific). 

My knowledge of them is scant to say the least, but I did make friends with a few when we rented a country cottage on a farm in Herefordshire some little time ago. Sitting outside having our meals, the hens made a bee-line for us. Never has the 'pecking order' been better illustrated to me. A bantam was so quick at grabbing scraps, it didn't bother with the others, but the last in line was always the dear old cockerel. Though by far the biggest (and dimmest?) of the birds, he'd moved from the adjacent farm because he'd been bullied by his 'wives' there, only to be bullied here. I took pity on him and saved a few crumbs. Even then, while he was sitting at my feet, the others just dived in. 

Regarding the pigs, a lady who was friends with the stationmaster's daughter said the porkers were fattened-up throughout the year before being slaughtered for Christmas by the butcher attached to the Willoughby Arms at the time. They avoided giving the pigs names, for obvious reasons. Rabbits were kept as well - not as pets, but as food. 

Regards,

Tony.

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 2

I've just spent part of the last two days adding more point rodding on Little Bytham. This is definitely a job done a bit at a time!

post-18225-0-73955400-1527524174_thumb.jpg

There's still at least another foot to add to this run. Despite my best attempts, it's still come out a bit wiggly (prototypical?). I thought I'd jigged it up straight (using MSE components and solder), but there you go - it's much more visible in the pictures. 

The K3 on the parcels train is a Bachmann/SE Finecast/London Road hybrid, which I wrote about in BRM a few years ago. 

post-18225-0-45292600-1527524370_thumb.jpg

A shorter run was completed at the south end (again, a bit wiggly). It's a pity the Wills plastic stuff is way over-scale, because it would have made the job so much easier. Still, point rodding is one of those details which have to be added (though there are still 'miles' to go). Note the runs from the 'box westwards, visible in the first picture, going under the fast lines and Down slow - really well worth doing, if very time-consuming.

It looked like I missed a great show at Stoke Manderville over the weekend. I was invited (to be a judge), but I've been so busy recently, I took a 'weekend off', offering my apologies for absence. I hope it was the success it deserved to be. Without doubt, Railex is one of the best shows in the calendar. Perhaps I should have gone. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 13

I've just spent part of the last two days adding more point rodding on Little Bytham. This is definitely a job done a bit at a time!

There's still at least another foot to add to this run. Despite my best attempts, it's still come out a bit wiggly (prototypical?). I thought I'd jigged it up straight (using MSE components and solder), but there you go - it's much more visible in the pictures. 

The K3 on the parcels train is a Bachmann/SE Finecast/London Road hybrid, which I wrote about in BRM a few years ago. 

A shorter run was completed at the south end (again, a bit wiggly). It's a pity the Wills plastic stuff is way over-scale, because it would have made the job so much easier. Still, point rodding is one of those details which have to be added (though there are still 'miles' to go). Note the runs from the 'box westwards, visible in the first picture, going under the fast lines and Down slow - really well worth doing, if very time-consuming.

It looked like I missed a great show at Stoke Manderville over the weekend. I was invited (to be a judge), but I've been so busy recently, I took a 'weekend off', offering my apologies for absence. I hope it was the success it deserved to be. Without doubt, Railex is one of the best shows in the calendar. Perhaps I should have gone. 

You should have done, but knowing what a busy soul you are and all that, it's impossible to be everywhere all the time.

Bring the timescale forward a tad, and just fit dummy point motors  :)  so much easier than point rodding methinks!

edited due to forgetting the difference between sole and soul :)

Edited by Wibble
  • Like 2

You should have done, but knowing what a busy soul you are and all that, it's impossible to be everywhere all the time.

Bring the timescale forward a tad, and just fit dummy point motors  :)  so much easier than point rodding methinks!

Thanks Kier,

And congratulations on winning some pots at Railex. 

Where are you next with your layout, please?

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Tony,

It’s a shame you didn’t make Raikex as I think it’s the sort of show that’s more to your taste than many of the more mainstream shows. A couple of layouts particularly took my fancy - Hornsey Broadway for a very convincing grimy take on North London in the Late sixties and Kirkby Stephen West which had a fantastic selection of intriguing wagons. I think there were too many oddities for it be prototypical, but they were fascinating. Apparently many were kits designed by a couple of the exhibitors, one working in etches and the other in 3D printing. Both kept the punters occupied with continual action.

My daughter voted Kirby Stephen West as her favourite layout ever.... but I think this was mainly because of the camp fire which emitted smoke!

Andy

• Like 2

Just a question, please............

Has anyone had trouble with Fulgurex point motors over time? 

It's a decade ago since Norman Solomon and I installed them on the scenic side of LB, and one or two (or three and four) are showing signs of failure. It's mainly the switches (which are extremely delicate and exposed), but one motor now won't go fully across. Luckily, the failures don't prevent running (like the real railway, we just get round it), but since Bytham's good running is paramount, I'm not pleased at all with the Fulgurex's performances. 

Am I asking too much to expect Fulgurex point motors to still work after a decade's use? I ask this because WMRC's exhibition layouts used Peco and and home-made point motors (ex-computer drives) and, in years of intensive operation, saw almost no point motor failures. The trackwork's fine (as expected), but it's these bl**dy point motors!

It might be wise to bite the bullet and change (27 of them) for Tortoise or Cobalt ones.

Any thoughts? 

Edited by Tony Wright

Tony,

It’s a shame you didn’t make Raikex as I think it’s the sort of show that’s more to your taste than many of the more mainstream shows. A couple of layouts particularly took my fancy - Hornsey Broadway for a very convincing grimy take on North London in the Late sixties and Kirkby Stephen West which had a fantastic selection of intriguing wagons. I think there were too many oddities for it be prototypical, but they were fascinating. Apparently many were kits designed by a couple of the exhibitors, one working in etches and the other in 3D printing. Both kept the punters occupied with continual action.

My daughter voted Kirby Stephen West as her favourite layout ever.... but I think this was mainly because of the camp fire which emitted smoke!

Andy

Andy,

It is a shame, but over the last few weeks I've hardly stopped; what with the (excellent) Bristol Show, an eight-day visit to France, processing pictures, attending the Ely Show (also excellent) and a lot of writing to be done, this weekend just gone was the first one I've had free for yonks. 

I usually go with a mate, but he's pootling around on a canal boat right now, so I didn't have the necessary motivation. You're right, Railex is exactly the sort of show which appeals to my taste - lots of good layouts, traders of interest to modellers and few (if any) 'box-shifters'. 

There's always next year. 

Tony. 

It's a decade ago since Norman Solomon and I installed them on the scenic side of LB, and one or two (or three and four) are showing signs of failure. It's mainly the switches (which are extremely delicate and exposed), but one motor now won't go fully across. Luckily, the failures don't prevent running (like the real railway, we just get round it), but since Bytham's good running is paramount, I'm not pleased at all with the Fulgurex's performances. 

Am I asking too much to expect Fulgurex point motors to still work after a decade's use? I ask this because WMRC's exhibition layouts used Peco and and home-made point motors (ex-computer drives) and, in years of intensive operation, saw almost no point motor failures. The trackwork's fine (as expected), but it's these bl**dy point motors!

It might be wise to bite the bullet and change (27 of them) for Tortoise or Cobalt ones.

Any thoughts?

We have used them on the scenic section of Alloa for a long time (Built starting 2002, exhibiting since 2008 and always available in the club) and I can only recall having to replace one (during the Wakefield exhibition!) and the one we replaced still seemed to work after testing later. I think these motors are very reliable, the motors can be replaced quite easily without total removal, the switches are a bit more difficult and may require cleaning. Can you trace the nature of any failures - is it consistent?

Chas

Edited by ScRSG

• RMweb Premium

There are Fulgurex point motors on the fiddle yard on Buckingham. They must be of considerable vintage now.

When the layout was dismantled, they had little boxes made from cardboard as covers. Sadly, two of these vanished during the move and haven't been replaced yet.

The two without covers have caused problems with dirty switch contacts and the one with the cover has given no trouble at all.

I have found that a very fine wet and dry paper glued to a strip of thin brass makes a good switch cleaner and a couple of wipes with that has always fixed them for several months.

I also lubricate the motor bearings and the gear/threaded rod assembly every once in a while, when the movement gets a bit sluggish.

With that minor attention, they continue to give good service.

Thanks Kier,

And congratulations on winning some pots at Railex. 

Where are you next with your layout, please?

Regards,

Tony. 

Hi Tony,

At the moment, the next 'planned' outing is at Glasgow in 2020, but that may change due to the enthusiasm of the operating team. Watch this space! 

As for point motors (and I've said this before) you'll have to go a long way to beat the good old H&M. I managed to acquire some fancy Japanese KTM type solenoid units which have been fitted and performed well on test, but unfortunately one of them fell apart during transit to Aylesbury at the weekend resulting in a couple of screws falling off and onto the floor. Not wanting to do any upsidedown remedial repairs during the show, we decided not to use the Down Slow Loop, and that is now on the 'to do list'. As much as I like them for their multiple auxiliary contacts, it won't be long before it's replaced with an H&M with VCF micro switch.

Now watch the price increases on the 'bay of e' because of reliability!!!   

We have used them on the scenic section of Alloa for a long time (Built starting 2002, exhibiting since 2008 and always available in the club) and I can only recall having to replace one (during the Wakefield exhibition!) and the one we replaced still seemed to work after testing later. I think these motors are very reliable, the motors can be replaced quite easily without total removal, the switches are a bit more difficult and may require cleaning. Can you trace the nature of any failures - is it consistent?

Chas

Chas,

Many thanks.

I think the problem with Fulgurex point motors stems from their being made in China from the mid-noughties, rather than (as originally) Switzerland. Norman Solomon told me this - he's used them for years, and never had any problems - until he discovered the change in manufacturing. 

Those on Buckingham must be Swiss-made, and thus entirely reliable. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium

Any thoughts? 

If you can't cure them for some reason I have about half a dozen that you could have as I probably will not need them. They do not have the linkage parts but you could just slot them in where yours were fitted, attaching the linkage as it was left?

All tested and fairly sure they are the Swiss type as they are quite old (pre used even when I inherited them).

However you may decide to just ditch yours but they can be useful as surface mounted, off scenic area motors.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

From what I remember with both the fulgarex and lemaco point motors was to use the clear packaging as a cover over the motors when installed. You both get protection and a means to see in easily if there was a fault.

• RMweb Premium

If you can't cure them for some reason I have about half a dozen that you could have as I probably will not need them. They do not have the linkage parts but you could just slot them in where yours were fitted, attaching the linkage as it was left?

All tested and fairly sure they are the Swiss type as they are quite old (pre used even when I inherited them).

However you may decide to just ditch yours but they can be useful as surface mounted, off scenic area motors.

Phil

Tony I also have eight Lemaco motors purchased around 1990, still unused and sealed in the original packaging, if you can make use of them. They have a switch placed either side of the motor but are otherwise mechanically identical to Fulgurex.

Those I used on previous layouts gave good service, and have since gone on to club use. The metal switches did develop a patina if left uncovered, but as Robert Thompson says, the plastic packaging gives good protection. They do need occasional maintenance, no different to loco’s with motors and contacts in that respect.

More recently I have switched to Cobalt iP which has a fully enclosed mechanism, albeit the digital ones. They are easy to install and wire up, and DCC Concepts make some very impressive claims about reliability and batch testing. Early days yet for me, but so far so good.

From what I remember with both the fulgarex and lemaco point motors was to use the clear packaging as a cover over the motors when installed. You both get protection and a means to see in easily if there was a fault.

Thanks Robert,

Norman Solomon suggested using the plastic packaging covers as, er, covers, once the Fulgurex motors were installed in a 'dusty' atmosphere; an exhibition layout, say. Since LB is in a very stable environment, I didn't bother. A mistake? 

In fairness to that decision, it's not dirt or detritus which has caused the problem, it's the switch 'towers' which have a tendency to move over time. This would appear to be because the plastic used in the manufacture in the Far East is 'inferior' to that used originally. One only has to get a soldering iron near it, and it distorts. Any subsequent movement then gets the minute switches out of alignment and either a short occurs or there's no power. Readjustment must be done with the greatest care because the even smaller springs just ping into oblivion. 

Though, at first glance, having the switches and springs exposed for ease of wire attachment, adjustment and maintenance might seem to be a good idea, I'm not too sure. Do Tortoise and Cobalt types (which have internal switches) have 'wiper'-type contacts? In effect, self-cleaning? 

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Robert,

Norman Solomon suggested using the plastic packaging covers as, er, covers, once the Fulgurex motors were installed in a 'dusty' atmosphere; an exhibition layout, say. Since LB is in a very stable environment, I didn't bother. A mistake? 

In fairness to that decision, it's not dirt or detritus which has caused the problem, it's the switch 'towers' which have a tendency to move over time. This would appear to be because the plastic used in the manufacture in the Far East is 'inferior' to that used originally. One only has to get a soldering iron near it, and it distorts. Any subsequent movement then gets the minute switches out of alignment and either a short occurs or there's no power. Readjustment must be done with the greatest care because the even smaller springs just ping into oblivion. 

Though, at first glance, having the switches and springs exposed for ease of wire attachment, adjustment and maintenance might seem to be a good idea, I'm not too sure. Do Tortoise and Cobalt types (which have internal switches) have 'wiper'-type contacts? In effect, self-cleaning? 

Regards,

Tony. 

Tortoise contacts are self cleaning with wipers and have proved very reliable for me, despite less than ideal storage and transport.   I think that Cobalts are the same but can't be sure. The switches on the Tortii (I think that's the correct plural but was never very good at Latin) are only rated at 1 amp so for Green Ayre I slave them to a 5 amp rated relay to cope with the heavier traction currents. Also the switch board is inside the motor enclosure.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tony,

At the moment, the next 'planned' outing is at Glasgow in 2020, but that may change due to the enthusiasm of the operating team. Watch this space! 

As for point motors (and I've said this before) you'll have to go a long way to beat the good old H&M. I managed to acquire some fancy Japanese KTM type solenoid units which have been fitted and performed well on test, but unfortunately one of them fell apart during transit to Aylesbury at the weekend resulting in a couple of screws falling off and onto the floor. Not wanting to do any upsidedown remedial repairs during the show, we decided not to use the Down Slow Loop, and that is now on the 'to do list'. As much as I like them for their multiple auxiliary contacts, it won't be long before it's replaced with an H&M with VCF micro switch.

Now watch the price increases on the 'bay of e' because of reliability!!!   

The uncoverd Fulgurex type point motors on Wibdenshaw are still working, and they must have seen some action over the years?

Mike.

Tony,

From a very small sample (small enough to invoke the Student-t test) we found digital Cobalts to be more reliable than analogue Cobalts.

Even so, I'm reverting to analogue for the last great project. First, I don't want to be faffing around under a layout during an exhibition; second, I don't want a motor to lose its digital address during an exhibition. So, surface mounted servos hidden in sheds and outhouses with Scalefour Society cranks.

I think, Tony, on a home layout that I would prefer Tortoises to Cobalts. But very much a personal opinion.

Bill

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Robert,

Regards,

Tony.

Cobalt iP point motors are claimed to have gold plated PCB switch contacts and the units come with a lifetime guarantee. (Though I havent needed to look inside to check!). Www.dccconcepts.com... owners manuals are available to view/download online via their website. The warranty section on their website is also worth reading. Should give you all the information you need.

One advantage of Cobalts over Tortoise is the size, they are a more compact unit. They also have mounting points for both vertical and horizontal mounting.

Phil