Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

52 minutes ago, Atso said:

While not in the same league as Mr Haynes regarding the quality of the paint job, below is an almost complete N gauge GWR County that I've been building for a customer. A few more bits to fit and then I can put a coat of matt varnish down to finish it off.

GWR County 9-4-19.jpg

Steve,

I'm sure if I were a modeller in N Gauge, a modeller of the GWR/WR and one of your customers, I'd be absolutely over the moon with that County!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Today I had a visit from members of the Ilkeston Woodside MRC.

What a great time we had running trains on LB. 

Some locos were brought to run, and how interesting they were.

1309417257_BachmannBRC101.jpg.8c0fe08721daabb6d44ab94844dfb61c.jpg

809749759_BachmannBRC102.jpg.8b28da36cbb1f1cf9b2a09962b7a826f.jpg

First out of the box was a Bachmann BR C1, detailed and weathered by Pete Abbott.

2064871369_KernoBulleiddiesel10201.jpg.9d2c6e5930fa3b4ea2ccaf11ae0f9307.jpg

574610037_KernoNBA-1-AA-1-AWarship.jpg.a3e1f498c0275d02ff08c7a89f7d705a.jpg

He also brought this pair of Kernow diesels, again detailed/weathered by him.

1303321616_KernoBulleiddiesel10202.jpg.32fcfce6e83ed4bef074d8d1c6e997e7.jpg

Another Kernow diesel also appeared.

1494063177_KernoTramLoco.jpg.cb8cec4c879da2175d0b7e08f4c46daf.jpg

As did Kernow's latest little Tram loco.

1143269178_PDKJ17.jpg.ea55fccfabcc14860806676fa3125703.jpg

This beautiful PDK J17 was built/painted/weathered by Chris Trafford. 

80103404_Nu-CastK2.jpg.0122ebda11f1bf9adfcfbb0a3d40e422.jpg

The builder/painter of this rather nice Nu-Cast Scottish K2 is unknown. The pony wheels are to be replaced.

All the locos shown above ran superbly.

Gentlemen, thank you for your hospitality, friendship and downright good company today. And, a special thanks for your most-generous donations to CRUK. 

Edited by Tony Wright
spelling error
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Hate to be picky Tony, but it is Kernow as In Cornwall.

Those Bulleid Diesels are beautifully finished as is the C1; RTR yes but what a quality loco.

Two very neat kit builds as well. What a great cast of visiting engines. Such fun.

Phil

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Hate to be picky Tony, but it is Kernow as In Cornwall.

Those Bulleid Diesels are beautifully finished as is the C1; RTR yes but what a quality loco.

Two very neat kit builds as well. What a great cast of visiting engines. Such fun.

Phil

Be as picky as you like, Phil,

Is there a place called Kernow in Cornwall? I presume that's where the firm is based. 

I think the models are made by Rapido, and they are very good.

I'll alter the spelling in my post.

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Is there a place called Kernow in Cornwall? I presume that's where the firm is based. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Hello Tony

Kernow is Kernowek (Cornish) for Cornwall. 

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Regards,

Tony. 

Kernow is Cornish for Cornwall :)

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Tony

The little J70 ex GE tram engine that visited you yesterday is produced by Rapido for Model Rail. Kernow just happen to be selling them as well.

I got mine a few days ago via a friend with a Model Rail subscription as its cheaper that way.

Regards

Andrew

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

Tony

The little J70 ex GE tram engine that visited you yesterday is produced by Rapido for Model Rail. Kernow just happen to be selling them as well.

I got mine a few days ago via a friend with a Model Rail subscription as its cheaper that way.

Regards

Andrew

I should have known that, Andrew,

I was told where it was from, but forgot. I think I'm right in saying that the Bulleid diesels were produced for Kernow.

Bachmann produced the C1 originally for the NRM I believe. 

I think what was shown yesterday was the 'correct' attitude of modellers I respect who are quite happy to 'exploit' what an RTR manufacturer produces, but immediately make it 'their own'. Yes, the wee J70 had only just been bought and had nothing altered on it (though the dreaded tension-locks were immediately removed for the photo - thanks Pete). They make it 'theirs' by losing the couplings, weathering, detailing, adding a crew, adding lamps, coaling a steam loco's bunker and, if necessary altering its identity. They do it by themselves, for themselves. They are modellers, not just 'box-openers' or commissioners. 

What was also illustrated yesterday (and proven by your post) was my personal ignorance of modern RTR. Ignorance of not knowing about the origins of Kernow has now been addressed, but I'm quite happy to remain in complete ignorance of which manufacturer makes this or that. We now have retailers and publishers (via third parties) becoming RTR manufacturers themselves. It's all a bit bewildering. As a one-time, full-time model railway journalist, it was my duty to keep in touch. Now, I just don't bother! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Clive,

My ignorance level is diminished just a bit! 

I assume it has Celtic origins? Or had I better shut up? 

Regards,

Tony. 

Hello Tony

Your assumption is correct. This is quite an interesting read, it has a section on Kernwek grammar. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornish_language

It is all Edward VI's fault it died out as a living language.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

19 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hello Tony

Your assumption is correct. This is quite an interesting read, it has a section on Kernwek grammar. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornish_language

Thanks Clive,

Now, a further question, and one from your era.

1492522433_PeakatDurham.jpg.89d15a541b86b2ca4050c45c3e6726d4.jpg

Do you or anyone else know exactly where this is, please? 

All that's on the print is 'Durham 1978'. It could well be the only named Class 46, but where is it in the Durham area? Relly Mill, or further away? It looks like some tracks have been removed.

As for the working, are these HAA hoppers?

Many thanks in anticipation. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Clive,

All that's on the print is 'Durham 1978'. It could well be the only named Class 46, but where is it in the Durham area? Relly Mill, or further away? It looks like some tracks have been removed.

Yes, that's Relly Mill. The photo has been taken from the Stonebridge, looking towards Durham; the train is heading south. The trackbed on the right is the original ECML alignment; when the Bishop Auckland and Ushaw Moor routes were closed the curve on the main line was eased, using the old Bishop Auckland route alignment for part of the way. That's what the locomotive is effectively on. Just above the signals you can see, bearing away to the left, is the alignment of the north to west chord of the junction; this allowed trains from Durham direct access to the Consett line via the Lanchester  Valley.

Edited by MarkC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Clive,

Tony, this looks just like the merry-go-round trains that I used to see in the East Midlands in the seventies and early eighties, though I have no idea of the location.  The wagons were indeed referred to as HAA after TOPS was introduced.

Distinguishing between classes 44, 45 and 46 can be tricky sometimes, but I suspect this one is probably a class 45, given the split centre headcode: but Clive is probably more knowledgeable than myself in this regard.  The crest above the nameplate indicates it is probably one of the class named after a regiment?

Phil

• Thanks 1

Looks like a 45 to me, you can just make out the crosses on the underframe tanks which weren't there on the 46s.  The only named 46, 46026 also had, so far as I know, a single headcode box and not the split ones in the photo.

John

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hello Tony

Interesting.

Zasawzneck in Cornish meaning saxon speaking.

Any relation to sassernach that I once heard in Scotland?

It was no praise.

• Informative/Useful 1

40 minutes ago, Chamby said:

Tony, this looks just like the merry-go-round trains that I used to see in the East Midlands in the seventies and early eighties, though I have no idea of the location.  The wagons were indeed referred to as HAA after TOPS was introduced.

Distinguishing between classes 44, 45 and 46 can be tricky sometimes, but I suspect this one is probably a class 45, given the split centre headcode: but Clive is probably more knowledgeable than myself in this regard.  The crest above the nameplate indicates it is probably one of the class named after a regiment?

Phil

Thanks for that, Phil,

But could it also be 45 022 LYTHAM ST. ANNES, the only one not named after a regiment or member of a regiment. Didn't that have a device above the nameplate as well? 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Informative/Useful 1

44 minutes ago, MarkC said:

Yes, that's Relly Mill. The photo has been taken from the Stonebridge, looking towards Durham; the train is heading south. The trackbed on the right is the original ECML alignment; when the Bishop Auckland and Ushaw Moor routes were closed the curve on the main line was eased, using the old Bishop Auckland route alignment for part of the way. That's what the locomotive is effectively on. Just above the signals you can see, bearing away to the left, is the alignment of the north to west chord of the junction; this allowed trains from Durham direct access to the Consett line via the Lanchester  Valley.

Thanks Mark,

The caption has been sent off to Irwell.

I get this all the time. A picture is sent through from Irwell Towers with the usual - 'Where, what, why, when?' I'm usually OK with ECML steam-era pictures, but thanks for your confirmation of the Relly Mill location. 

A further question, if I may, please? Does anyone know about the cement traffic workings on the railways through Chester in the '70s? 

Isn't the interweb a fantastic resource at times? 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, grahame said:

Here's one of those Toby Tram types in N/2mm that I built from a white metal kit. It's in grey primer - I don't recall ever getting around to finishing or painting it.

DSC_9770ro.jpg.7a5590a43f1759f9794fc646a67062fd.jpg

G.

I also made one in OO for my children’s layout using an ERTL Toby the tram engine body and a Spud (?) mechanism. It used to ertl round the tracks with speed control achieved by it going on two wheels on the corners and loosing pickup momentarily. 

Tim

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

I also made one in OO for my children’s layout using an ERTL Toby the tram engine body and a Spud (?) mechanism. It used to ertl round the tracks with speed control achieved by it going on two wheels on the corners and loosing pickup momentarily. 

Tim

Sounds very similar to our O gauge Hornby tinplate escapades as a child! Literally a Flying Scotsman at times!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarkC said:

Wasn't the curve eased in preparation for the HSTs arrival? One of Lynne's colleagues at TTTV used to live in a house overlooking the curve. 

The train will be going between yards, as the 45s/46s didn't have slow-speed control to enable them to load/ unload using the MGR system. Trains to Northfleet cement works used to work like this, picking up a Slow-Speed-Fitted Brush in the Cricklewood area to work the train through the unloading hoppers.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Clive,

It is a Crompton (Class 45) two window center headcode display which puts it in the batch D30 to D67 or D137 as it is a namer. With a regimental nameplate, there is a round badge above the name. It is not D53, D60 or D61 as they had been refurbished and had the same triangular grille and a one piece headcode window as a class 46. It also appears to be a class 45/0 as I cannot see a ETH fitting, so I would guess at 45 014 (D137) as the other named 45/0s were split headcode locos except D60 but as that is already excluded because it was refurbished. So it is "The Cheshire Regiment". With the headcode displaying 0000 I would also date the photo as 1976 to early 1977.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3