Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Much of my early inspiration came from admiring the various model locos of much larger scales at the Science Museum.

Yes, I was inspired by the many steam engines on display at the old Birmingham Museum of Science and Industry on Newhall Street.  These and a Mamod model working steam engine set me on my way.  Then I visited the annual show on Southampton Common and entered the marquee of what may have been the Eastleigh Railway Engineering Society* to see the most beautifully crafted larger scale models.  I was hooked!

*I do remember that many of the locomotives were crafted by employees at Eastleigh Works in their spare time.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just a question and apologies it is general (I have asked elsewhere but I know this thread has 'interested parties').

The Comet Triplet Set. Does anyone have access to the drawings (Comet) that I might see please? I need to confirm the underfloor arrangement for the First Class Diner Carriage. I have misplaced my set and they are no longer available on the web site (PDF).

I suppose other sources might be helpful but I do not have those either (e.g. completed model/ alternative kit instructions).

I have the Isinglass Drawings on order but it would be helpful to have the above Comet set.

Many thanks

Phil @ 36E 

Yes, I was inspired by the many steam engines on display at the old Birmingham Museum of Science and Industry on Newhall Street. These and a Mamod model working steam engine set me on my way. Then I visited the annual show on Southampton Common and entered the marquee of what may have been the Eastleigh Railway Engineering Society* to see the most beautifully crafted larger scale models. I was hooked!

*I do remember that many of the locomotives were crafted by employees at Eastleigh Works in their spare time.

What a sad loss that museum in Birmingham was - spent many a happy hour there. I remember my first sighting of 'City of Birmingham' - it was/ (still is) ?@&£'#### HUGE!!! Even the wheels were twice my size when I first saw it!

Can someone remind me where everything from there was move to?

Edited by sp1

What a sad loss that museum in Birmingham was - spent many a happy hour there. I remember my first sighting of 'City of Birmingham' - it was/ (still is) ?@&£'#### HUGE!!! Even the wheels were twice my size when I first saw it!

Can someone remind me where everything from there was move to?

It's all here  http://www.birminghammuseums.org.uk/thinktank

I liked Newhall street, also spent many happy hours there.

Edited by Bulldog

Just a question and apologies it is general (I have asked elsewhere but I know this thread has 'interested parties').

The Comet Triplet Set. Does anyone have access to the drawings (Comet) that I might see please? I need to confirm the underfloor arrangement for the First Class Diner Carriage. I have misplaced my set and they are no longer available on the web site (PDF).

I suppose other sources might be helpful but I do not have those either (e.g. completed model/ alternative kit instructions).

I have the Isinglass Drawings on order but it would be helpful to have the above Comet set.

Many thanks

Phil @ 36E 

Phil,

Please borrow my model again, if that'll help.

Just a quick post to thank the numerous folk - friends, both old and new - who came along and chatted to me at my stand at Doncaster over the weekend. The conversations were stimulating, interesting, controversial (?), provocative, fascinating, educational, enlightening but never boring. How refreshing, and my salutations indeed. 

My thank, too, to all those who listening to my ramblings in the theatre on both days. I learnt a lot. 

Finally, my most sincere thanks to all those who wished me well. You cannot know how much that was, and is, appreciated.

• Like 7

post-18225-0-77854600-1423512053_thumb.jpg

Whilst at Doncaster, I took along a demonstration chassis I've just completed for Dave Ellis of SE Finecast. The frames are from an old Hornby-Dublo R1 replacement chassis, and are not important; the main reason for making it being the fitting of Scale Link (or is it Scalelink?) driving wheels. These are alternatives to the traditional Romford/Markits, have plastic centres and are considerably cheaper. I was asked to assess them because some folk have reported the wheelsets being under gauge. Since they fit on the standard Romford axle, this seemed a puzzle. On fitting, I noticed that with one or two of the wheels the tyres were pushed inwards off their centres under pressure. This was no matter, because I just pushed them the other way - back into position. If, however, the tyres aren't pushed back into place, they will remain too tight on the back-to-backs. The tyres won't move under normal rotating motion, and a tiny bead of the most fluid superglue will retain them permanently. 

Has anyone else come across this problem, please? Graeme King told me he'd used them and been entirely satisfied. 

What was also commented on was the silky-smooth running of the SE Finecast motor/gear/mount combination. I've used this combination many times now (FE019, Mashima 1024) in anything from a small tank to a K3. Obviously, care is necessary in assembling it but it is exceptionally good value and does work smoothly. 

My thanks to all who asked questions, and answered some of mine.

Usual disclaimer: I have no connection with SE Finecast, though I do test products for the firm on occasions. And report accordingly, as I do for many others. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 6

I have had that problem with W & T wheels, Tony, but only one particular size. From memory it was a J71 - 22mm? Others of a different diameter I've used since were absolutely fine. I punched circles from A4 paper, impregnated them with superglue and stuck them on the backs, then filed the hole back though when they were fully set.

wheels_zps2f42f9d3.jpg

At more or less the same time I did a J72 using the same manufacturer's wheels and found them spot on. Both locos run perfectly well with them.

Edited by jwealleans

Is it just my strange mind (probably) or does the frame profile at the rear of that R1 replacement chassis make it look like a six-wheeled wheelbarrow?

I used the Scalelink coupled wheels on my P1, built over the winter of '08/'09 and they've been no trouble so far, although I wouldn't claim that my locos run up high mileages or operate under gruelling conditions. The fact that the ends of the spokes do not flare into the boss or the rim but instead end at a sharp right-angle will probably disappoint some, but they are the only self-quartering lower price alternatives to the Markits wheels of which I am aware.

• RMweb Premium

Is it just my strange mind (probably) or does the frame profile at the rear of that R1 replacement chassis make it look like a six-wheeled wheelbarrow?

I used the Scalelink coupled wheels on my P1, built over the winter of '08/'09 and they've been no trouble so far, although I wouldn't claim that my locos run up high mileages or operate under gruelling conditions. The fact that the ends of the spokes do not flare into the boss or the rim but instead end at a sharp right-angle will probably disappoint some, but they are the only self-quartering lower price alternatives to the Markits wheels of which I am aware.

I thought it looked a mite odd, then realised that the frame design is quite old, and the rear is cut away for fitment of a X04/MW 5 pole motor, the standard used for many a year. How times change.

Izzy

A quick question Tony - are the Scalelink wheels the same profile as the Romford RP25 (RP110 I believe,  RP79 would be nicer)?

I haven't measured them, but they are very similar, if not the same.

The chassis has been posted back to SE Finecast, so perhaps someone else might comment, please.

It does, doesn't it?

Actually, the 'handles' are designed to fit into a slot underneath the bunker of a Hornby-Dublo R1. Dave Ellis and I considered it a 'waste' of a current state-of-the-art chassis, just to test the wheels (this one has no provision for brakes, for instance), so I used this one. 

Thanks for the comments about the wheels, Graeme. In a way, it illustrates a paradox for the kit manufacturer. Many used to carry stocks of Romford wheels, and provided them in their kits (DJH). However, once Markits started making correct driving wheels for each class, stocking so many variations (at much-increased costs) became non-viable. Though this appears 'backward-looking' in a way - the same 26mm wheel provided in a 'Duchess' kit (until the 27mm one became available), A1 and 'King', say - it meant just one diameter of wheel was needed, as required. 

The new wheels give that option again. 

Some folk say Markits wheels are expensive and even too-expensive. Right, so have a good look at one with its cast centre, its ready tapped boss and perfectly aligned square axle hole, an insulating rim and nickel silver tyre all precision turned. It is expensive...... to produce!! And yet Markits has a large range of diameters and spoke variations produced not at the height of the kit-building era but over the past few years where there has been less call for wheels. No I don't have shares in the firm, but I do have a brain. 

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

Some folk say Markits wheels are expensive and even too-expensive. Right, so have a good look at one with its cast centre, its ready tapped boss and perfectly aligned square axle hole, an insulating rim and nickel silver tyre all precision turned. It is expensive...... to produce!! And yet Markits has a large range of diameters and spoke variations produced not at the height of the kit-building era but over the past few years where there has been less call for wheels. No I don't have shares in the firm, but I do have a brain. 

I hope it didn't come across that I personally thought Markits wheels were too expensive. I don't, and I agree with everything you say about their quality. That's why I use them (almost) exclusively, in preference to any of the non-self-quartering types. I, too, do not have shares in the company, but I applaud Mark Arscott's production of these entirely user-friendly accurate wheels. 

I was merely passing on a statement of fact, having been in conversation with three kit manufacturers over the last week. Though Markits wheels are splendid, because of the high-production costs they are expensive compared with other options. This now puts them beyond the 'pocket' of some modellers, so the less expensive Scale Link wheels offer a viable alternative, even though they don't look as good. It also offers a viable alternative for the likes of SE Finecast, where the firm can offer a complete kit, and it doesn't cost getting on for three times the price of an RTR alternative. Yes, the latest wheels might not look as good (though they're a lot better than, say, Bachmann's K3 drivers) but they cost considerably less. It is a matter of choice. Also, in fairness, the ones I tested ran just as well as Markits.

I model in 7mm scale and use Slaters wheels, which has a machined steel tyre, black nylon moulded spokes and outer boss, with a machined brass centre to the boss with perfectly aligned square axle hole.  The axles are machined square with a tapped blind fixing hole. The crank pins are 12BA machine screws, with a brass top hat bush. For a GWR 57xx pannier tank, they work out at £60 inc VAT per set.  I have just looked at the Markits' website and their latest price list. The wheel sets for a 4mm 57xx would cost you £41.52 inc VAT. From a production engineering point of view, the number of operations are very similar and a mould tool has to be made for both. OK, there is less material, but I believe that to be marginal. The Markits price does not appear unreasonable to me.

Paul,

I entirely agree, but with back-of-fag-packet calculations, a Scale Link set of drivers for a 57XX would be just over half the price of a set of Markits. Unless they've shot up in price. 

Cost is the crucial point with the W & T wheels, as Tony has said.  This is the (almost) completed J72 mentioned earlier.  It is a cast K's body bought for £20 on the club stand at Wakefield, then fitted to a Comet chassis and Mashima/High Level drivetrain.

A set of Markits wheels for it would have cost almost as much as all the rest of the components and might have put some people off what was an enjoyable project finishing off a deserving little loco.

J72_zps7f036cd8.jpg

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 9

Back in the days when pickups were often designed in the "American" style with tender insulated from loco, it was normal to save money by ordering non-insulated drivers for one side.  They didn't look the same, of course, but you could only ever see one side at a time (unless you happened to have a mirror handy).  All my 1960s and 1970s kits had this arrangement and I also have an MDC Roundhouse prairie with a legitimate "American"pickup system which I built in the 1980s.  They work for most tender engines, even 4-4-0s.

I have to admit that these days I would not use this system, but that's because I have a little more spare cash than I did back then.

Back in the days when pickups were often designed in the "American" style with tender insulated from loco, it was normal to save money by ordering non-insulated drivers for one side.  They didn't look the same, of course, but you could only ever see one side at a time (unless you happened to have a mirror handy).  All my 1960s and 1970s kits had this arrangement and I also have an MDC Roundhouse prairie with a legitimate "American"pickup system which I built in the 1980s.  They work for most tender engines, even 4-4-0s.

I have to admit that these days I would not use this system, but that's because I have a little more spare cash than I did back then.

Paul,

DJH used to recommend the 'American' style of pick-up for its tender locos, providing sets of insulated and non-insulated Romfords. Instructions were given on how to short-out the tender wheels (which were all-insulated) for one side. Because the all-mazak non-insulated Romford drivers used to collect so much muck, the firm (many years ago) began to provide nickel-silver-tyred non-insulated wheels, The only difference between the insulated and non-insulated was then the presence of the band of brown paper providing the insulation between the mazak centre and the tyre. 

The advantage of the 'American' system is the need for no wiper pick-ups. The disadvantage is that if ever the two units touch (other than via the insulated drawbar), one gets a short. I've never used it, always preferring to make wiper pick-ups (which I've demonstrated many times). That way it's possible to run the chassis all by itself. It also makes the fitting of tender pick-ups easier. 

The wonders of the Internet.

Will anyone out there help me, please? I've been commissioned to write (at least) one more book by Irwell on diesel days. Apparently Into The Blue has sold very well (despite a missing caption), and a follow-up is planned. This time it's more Region-specific, in fact line-specific. It's also going to include green diesels. The line (of course) is the GN main line, and the period 1960-1980. I'm providing the blue diesel pictures and a few of the green ones. The majority of the green ones were taken by the late Andrew Forsyth. These are superb, showing every type of class (including the one-offs). 

My request? Though I have the GN four-digit train-reporting numbers for most of the main line Down trains, my lists for 1960-1967 don't include the Up. The convention was (is this right?) even for Down and odd for Up. I've also come across some confusion as to which departure-point/destination the letters refer to. 'A', I think, is an express to and from Newcastle/Edinburgh and 'B' and 'E', the West Riding. 'S' (again, I think), refers to a service going further into Scotland. This is what my lists suggest, but then 'The Master Cutler' appears in one picture as '1G' something. 'B', also appears to refer to Cambridge trains. So, can anyone out there supply me with the appropriate lists, please? Or, point me in the direction of a suitable publication, please? I can't offer much in the way of royalties, apart from copies of the book.

Many thanks in anticipation. Please PM me if you think it's easier.  

• RMweb Premium

I model in 7mm scale and use Slaters wheels, which has a machined steel tyre, black nylon moulded spokes and outer boss, with a machined brass centre to the boss with perfectly aligned square axle hole.  The axles are machined square with a tapped blind fixing hole. The crank pins are 12BA machine screws, with a brass top hat bush. For a GWR 57xx pannier tank, they work out at £60 inc VAT per set.  I have just looked at the Markits' website and their latest price list. The wheel sets for a 4mm 57xx would cost you £41.52 inc VAT. From a production engineering point of view, the number of operations are very similar and a mould tool has to be made for both. OK, there is less material, but I believe that to be marginal. The Markits price does not appear unreasonable to me.

And the Markits ones don't instantly rust.