Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

RETFORD HAS BEEN SAVED!

The best news of all in these most-difficult times, Roy Jackson's magnificent creation has been saved intact and is to 'stay at home'. 

The intention is to complete it, if nothing else but in memory of the great man. 

Terrific news indeed.

I'd been wondering about its future for a while given its more than 12 months since Roy passed away.

Andrew

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, Clem said:

Hi Frank. Thanks for the kind comment. I've bitten the bullet and banged an order in for a set of Ultrascale wheels for my next 0-6-0, whatever and whenever that may be. (Could be J5, J6 or a J39/3). A quick question: it's been a long time since I last used Ultrascale. Can you remind me, are the crankpin screws 14BA as Alan Gibsons wheels? If it's a J39,  I'll need to tap the crank for the lubricator drive on the RHS. 

Cheers

Clem.

Clem I have been using both crankpins recently. The Gibson are M1's counter sunk screws and the ultra scales I have are 14BA. thankfully the threads are very very close. I have changed over to the Ultra scale recently as I found some (with out knowing what they were) in a box of bits from a member of our group who had passed away. I have been the custodian of, said, box for about 10 years now.  They certainly help with the counter sunk nuts for the front crank pin on the V2's 

i hope that helps

6 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hello Tony

Yes I did it twice tonight, second time because I forgot to put the cab interior back in.

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who does things like that! :jester:

8 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Some items of stock that were on "long term semi permanent loan" were removed from the layout by their owners when the future of the layout was still undecided. I think that some of it may well re-appear, if the new owner would like it back. Mine will certainly be offered.   

Thanks, I'm sure it will be welcome, but it's early days for the new owner, as the purchase only completed at the end of last week. There is lots to do aside from the railway, as is typical when someone buys a house.

3 hours ago, DougN said:

Clem I have been using both crankpins recently. The Gibson are M1's counter sunk screws and the ultra scales I have are 14BA. thankfully the threads are very very close. I have changed over to the Ultra scale recently as I found some (with out knowing what they were) in a box of bits from a member of our group who had passed away. I have been the custodian of, said, box for about 10 years now.  They certainly help with the counter sunk nuts for the front crank pin on the V2's 

i hope that helps

Hi Doug. Cheers for that. Do they still do a 6'2" wheel?

I know Tony might think this a bit of a gimmick, - one of my friends has an O gauge Cravens set. Depending on which direction of travel is set by the DCC controller, a driver will magically appear in the appropriate cab!

You'll have to bite the bullet and get inside it Tony, it doesn't look right without a driver!

This is your photo Tony - I can't remember what happened to it in the end, I must have sold it on, the MTK set on Stoke before a ready to run version was even dreamt of:-

166686947_MTK-builtCravens02.jpg.4ec06ef210156e794578fd27a2a18086.jpg

Regards

Tony

Edited by dibateg
making a mess of it
  • Like 10

14 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

RETFORD HAS BEEN SAVED!

The best news of all in these most-difficult times, Roy Jackson's magnificent creation has been saved intact and is to 'stay at home'. 

The intention is to complete it, if nothing else but in memory of the great man. 

I shall be definitely offering my assistance................

848218281_Retford12101923O21onGN.jpg.7d0d26a5de3a752a7988e2143149eb0b.jpg

225069556_Retford12101924V2approachingcrossing.jpg.4d8e388b41d554aff79409ea6d415a72.jpg

1873957986_Retford12101927FLYINGSCOTSMAN.jpg.14323b4ebb046966742498e8545bb754.jpg

1017537708_Retford12101929D11.jpg.0f13904bda314e40a2a647d067503569.jpg

553050216_Retford12101931A4byfootbridge.jpg.e1da3086c52952344a890715f258b4f4.jpg

I'll post progress reports as and when............................

That's good news Tony. Although I never met Roy, I hope to see Retford running one day

Best Regards,

Lee

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, Clem said:

Good evening Tony. I may be mistaken but I would have thought that this service would have been a class 114. (E500xx/E560xx twins). Not being a diesel person, does anyone make these. They were the only type you ever seemed to get on the ER around Nottingham, Derby and Grantham - at least before about 1962/3.

Good morning Clem,

It's probable you're not mistaken, but can you see me making a DMU (of any kind)? 

There is a Derby Lightweight twin to call on as well. Is that more appropriate? 

Regards,

Tony. 

10 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hello Tony

Yes I did it twice tonight, second time because I forgot to put the cab interior back in.

001.jpg.bd32cd998d9410fc4a31cab7dbc68bcb.jpg

Three credit/bank cards and my library card to hold open the  eight clips.

002.jpg.616c9b5eda7c32f5ab3f516a3a21d8dd.jpg

The chassis falls out.

003.jpg.fd63b3db4c90814d6676e703176e9e36.jpg

To get at the destination display the cab interior is clipped out. The PCB come lighting is removed and I didn't drop the two tiny screws, in the red circle.

004.jpg.b88802c6a0b0493295466bb993c71c98.jpg

The rear of the destination display is glued in place. I didn't remove it as I am not in a position to change my destinations on my units as yet.

a015.jpg.df55f34211a0fa3d2ddb1ca25252e27c.jpg

Same unit a few moments later arriving at Sheffield exchange.

I do like the destination displays that you have fitted to your unit.

That's amazing!

Thanks Clive.

It would seem, from the myriad bits of card you've had to employ, that Bachmann's intention was to make entry into its units as difficult as possible. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

No rush, Doug.

Most great western stuff so no use to me really:D... 

It is a box of sundry bits and pieces that have no identification... can be rather random. We all have this collection of stuff.. so when you've gone to the great fiddle yard... some one else has to either sort through it and figure out what it was, or chuck it all in the bin, or just gift it to another modeller to pick through and use bits! 

I see this box as a collection of things that if some one one asks me if I have.a what ever. I tend to just hand over the bits to them. So they aren't in a land fill some where, and bring some joy of another finished item to another modeller.  All a bit of "pay it forward" as an idea. Bit the same way that Tony here fixes things and helps modellers with reasonably priced second hand bits and pieces and helping out CRUK. Some more generousity in the world can only be a good thing. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Clem,

It's probable you're not mistaken, but can you see me making a DMU (of any kind)? 

Regards,

Tony. 

Why not?

Clive and I make our own DMUs.

This is 95% complete

DMU2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 10
  • Round of applause 1

11 hours ago, Adam88 said:

How will you manage the ECML gauge change?  I think you need to have a transshipment shed at the very least.

It might not be quite as difficult as you think, Adam,

I'll explain. At the moment on Retford there's an A2/2 for which I built the chassis and tender frames for - in EM. That same combination exactly fits underneath one of my own A2/2s, which runs on LB (in OO). What I used to do was just swop the two sets of frames as needed, so my A2/2 could then run on Retford. When Roy built his own A2/2, I gave him the EM frames, though I was told (in no uncertain terms) that he'd build a 'proper' chassis for it one day. I did the same with an A1 and an A2, but eventually sold the EM frames for those. 

With Retford under new ownership, I'll build more EM frames to go underneath my locos - those new V2s spring to mind. 

Regards,

Tony. 

7 minutes ago, MJI said:

Why not?

Clive and I make our own DMUs.

This is 95% complete

DMU2.jpg

I'm not going to 'argue' with you about my making DMUs...............

Not if those crushed cans in the background are anything to go by! 

Strictly-speaking, I shouldn't run a DMU of any kind on LB, especially since the sequence should really represent a weekday in the high summer of 1958; when the DMUs didn't run on the main line between Peterborough and Grantham. 

Looking at your picture, what's happened to the far end of the middle car? Is it off the track?

Regards,

Tony. 

15 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

RETFORD HAS BEEN SAVED!

I shall be definitely offering my assistance................

In what is a though time for many, this is really wonderful news. Lovely to know Roy's legacy is going to live on and it certainly sounds like it is in good hands.

Edited by Hawin Dooiey
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, robertcwp said:

Thanks, I'm sure it will be welcome, but it's early days for the new owner, as the purchase only completed at the end of last week. There is lots to do aside from the railway, as is typical when someone buys a house.

I appreciate that and the present restrictions on meetings and suchlike will also mean that things will all have to happen in good time but the new owner is known to us and has already put out some "feelers" to those who have previously worked on the layout. That was really nice to hear as several people have put many hundreds, if not thousands of hours of their own time into the layout and quite a few were part way through tasks when Roy became ill. If things work out as we hope they do, they should get the chance to pick up where they left off.

There are certainly some who would like to get involved again, both as a "thanks" to the new owner for taking it on and as a fitting memorial to Roy.

But as you say, I am sure it will be a busy time with much to do and it will be a case of when the time is right, the "Retford Mob" will be ready for action as and when required.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

It might not be quite as difficult as you think, Adam,

I'll explain. At the moment on Retford there's an A2/2 for which I built the chassis and tender frames for - in EM. That same combination exactly fits underneath one of my own A2/2s, which runs on LB (in OO). What I used to do was just swop the two sets of frames as needed, so my A2/2 could then run on Retford. When Roy built his own A2/2, I gave him the EM frames, though I was told (in no uncertain terms) that he'd build a 'proper' chassis for it one day. I did the same with an A1 and an A2, but eventually sold the EM frames for those. 

With Retford under new ownership, I'll build more EM frames to go underneath my locos - those new V2s spring to mind. 

Regards,

Tony. 

For years, the layout only had 2 V2s. Then there was one provided by Rick Hunt (the best V2 model I remember seeing) and one from me (rebuilt by Roy) that made it 4 but even then, I always thought that the balance was a bit heavily weighted in favour of Pacifics.

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I'm not going to 'argue' with you about my making DMUs...............

Not if those crushed cans in the background are anything to go by! 

Strictly-speaking, I shouldn't run a DMU of any kind on LB, especially since the sequence should really represent a weekday in the high summer of 1958; when the DMUs didn't run on the main line between Peterborough and Grantham. 

Looking at your picture, what's happened to the far end of the middle car? Is it off the track?

Regards,

Tony. 

The DMSL body is too far down the chassis and the TSLB body has sprung up.

Next job is placing locating blocks to get the body height correct.

Still need to do wipers, curtains, repair TSLB body after it rolled off and split roof joint, more chassis paint, exhausts and some bar couplers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

That's amazing!

Thanks Clive.

It would seem, from the myriad bits of card you've had to employ, that Bachmann's intention was to make entry into its units as difficult as possible. 

Regards,

Tony. 

I think Bachmann have listened, as getting into their new Class 117 (I know way out of area for Little Bytham), is a piece of cake, just requiring fingernails to ease the bodyshell off the lugs. Hopefully they will modify their other units in the future. 

Regards, Chris

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

I appreciate that and the present restrictions on meetings and suchlike will also mean that things will all have to happen in good time but the new owner is known to us and has already put out some "feelers" to those who have previously worked on the layout. That was really nice to hear as several people have put many hundreds, if not thousands of hours of their own time into the layout and quite a few were part way through tasks when Roy became ill. If things work out as we hope they do, they should get the chance to pick up where they left off.

There are certainly some who would like to get involved again, both as a "thanks" to the new owner for taking it on and as a fitting memorial to Roy.

But as you say, I am sure it will be a busy time with much to do and it will be a case of when the time is right, the "Retford Mob" will be ready for action as and when required.

I'm sure the new owner will reveal himself/herself in due course but in the meantime, Tony, please pass on my good wishes and hopes that we will see more of Retford before too long.

• Agree 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Clem,

Good morning Tony,

I think the lightweights were around as early as 1955 and actually ran on the Derby line for trials.  It prompted me to get one in for conversion some years ago. But to be honest, I've got enough on doing steam (which is always going to come first with me, obviously) and I'm not sure when or if I'll get around to it. Clive made the point that there were Cravens  at Lincoln in 1958 but I must say that I never saw one in all my trips to Grantham in the late 50s/early 60s. It was always the class 114s.

If you did decide to build a DMU Tony, I'm sure it would be of top quality but, Deltics aside, I'm sure you're a 100% steam man (like me - with all respect to Clive and other diesel fans).

Edited by Clem
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I'm sure the new owner will reveal himself/herself in due course but in the meantime, Tony, please pass on my good wishes and hopes that we will see more of Retford before too long.

In the meantime, here is a video clip taken on my phone on my last visit to Retford in 2018. Roy can be heard in lively dialogue with the operators.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3