Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

56 minutes ago, Bernard Lamb said:

That is of course depending on your view as to the merits of changing the game.

While I appreciate the depth of field that Tony achieves by using a large f stop, as used in technical photography, I still find photographs that simulate the 1950s and 60s amateur shots with limited film speed and depth of field attractive. There is a skill and an artistic talent in getting just the right part of a scene in sharp focus.

Bernard

Photo-stacking or focus-stacking does not inevitably mean sharpness everywhere, and I agree that composition, lighting and sometimes even a degree of distortion play a big part in making an attractive evocative picture. 

I often use two pics for a 3/4 engine portrait so I don't need the extremes of high-number f-stop and super-long open shutter, each with its compomises like electronic 'noise' in the sensor and minute camera movement.

Many ways to achieve similar goals, certainly.  In playing with a couple of new Canon RF lenses in the last week, stimulated by TW, I have achieved astonishing sharpness and clarity, but I wouldn't want it over the entire frame. 

Now if only I had placed 46252 on a model scene as good as Little Bytham!  This pic is far from finished.

Img_0070abcdefg1ab_r2080a.jpg.ef932e71038e1c473bc70ed721e8a059.jpg

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

That is of course depending on your view as to the merits of changing the game.

While I appreciate the depth of field that Tony achieves by using a large f stop, as used in technical photography, I still find photographs that simulate the 1950s and 60s amateur shots with limited film speed and depth of field attractive. There is a skill and an artistic talent in getting just the right part of a scene in sharp focus.

Bernard

Is there a simple app to do this on the iPhone? Or is it still a case of post processing on the pc?

10 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Is there a simple app to do this on the iPhone? Or is it still a case of post processing on the pc?

I don't think iPhone's have the processing power to have stacking software unfortunately, as far as I'm aware, an app doesn't exist. I use Adobe Photoshop on my Mac to do all the appropriate editing.

• Thanks 1

If people do not have access to photoshop, I used to use a free online retouching programme called Pix lr. There are two versions X and E. X is for beginners but I went straight for E. It is all icons and far less complex than photoshop. Brilliant for cutting out back grounds, composing multiple images, altering colours etc. I used it with my classes, when I was teaching iMedia, who all used the E version from day one I have even introduced it to my wife's company and her team now use it for images in presentations.

You can create a free account but you do not have to, it will work from the web page

https://pixlr.com/

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Headstock said:

Model railways has taken a back seat to other interests in recent times, I haven't done any modeling since last summer and a couple of projects that were started two years ago, prior to the pandemic, have remained incomplete. However, things are on the move again and railway modeling has moved up the list, if not quite at the top.

My steel train is now complete, with more detailed weathering applied and with all loads are now attached. I used the relevant loading instructions book and an original steel products catalogue as a guide. Thank you Australia for supplying proper paper clip style chain link to the right scale. Couplings are also now fitted and the whole train is at last a rolling entity. 

614628990_QuintDfinished3.jpg.9fb72b5ffcf3eb0517ae6cde8b004b5f.jpg

A second project is also at well on its way to completion. I built one of two dia. 210 twins, almost two and a half years ago, that twin ran at LSGC final exhibition before lock down. The second twin, required to complete the set, has been a more protracted build, it took a year to get it to undercoat and it stood another year in base coat awaiting teak painting. It is now going through the paint shop at last. The teak paint has been applied and currently it is receiving a build up of weathering, so that it doesn't look out of place with the original completed twin.

417780144_Dia210CLteakpaint.jpg.3d859c6a97884a9d21ebef7c3a13a66b.jpg

Any chance of a few more pictures of the finished steel train Andrew? The bogie bolster (Quint D?) looks excellent.

Regards,

Simon

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, Headstock said:

Good afternoon Simon,

I'm rather lacking in posh photograph equipment I'm afraid, so I'm reliant on natural daylight to get a decent shot. I've only shot one other image so far, see below. The full train will have to wait until the good weather allows me to assemble it and shoot it out in the garden. 

Parkside double bolster, kit built as it comes* but with corrected brake pull rods and replacement tie bars. Flexible steel plate was allowed to be loaded onto double bolsters, as long as it touched the deck, it didn't overhang the edges and was secured to the bolsters.

1170353444_LNERDoublebolster.jpg.097b39fe415a45a732f74fbfe47c3d28.jpg

* The stanchions, Rings, shackles, hooks, artificial steel products and Aussie chain don't come with the kit.

I don't have posh photographic equipment and facilities either. The wait for good lighting conditions can be a little limiting at times, but there are worse things in life I suppose.

• Agree 3

25 minutes ago, gr.king said:

I don't have posh photographic equipment and facilities either. The wait for good lighting conditions can be a little limiting at times, but there are worse things in life I suppose.

Good evening Graeme,

I don't mind waiting, I wouldn't want to be photographing things all the time. I have a nice little area with lovely early morning light, a white background and some track on a plank. If nothing else, it's good for the insurance.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I've decided to apply some self-discipline (at last!). The discipline to try and actually finish things started far too long ago. 

A case in point is yet another 9F.

1893954186_DJH9Fex-Mick03.jpg.54fc3f8058845fff8c3fa3743ffd4a11.jpg

Regular readers might recall my buying back of this loco from Mick Peabody at the beginning of December last year. I'd started it, and then sold it to him part-built (the intention being he'd finish it). Since that was never likely (especially with Stoke and Charwelton sold - which tells you how long ago this was started), as stated, it's now my property once more. 

It's a DJH kit and came with a Midland Region-style tender. I'm building a Dave Alexander BR 1F sort, appropriate for an ER loco. David West very kindly gave me two Alexander 1F tender bodies (thanks again, David), but I thought I'd build one complete (I'll now sell the pair of bodies for CRUK). I had hoped to acquire a Bachmann 1F tender, but I'm going ahead and building this one (I need items for my demo stand at shows). The cab roof is only in place temporarily to check relative heights.

Yes, of course there's the Bachmann 9F, and very good it is, too. But, this one is 'mine' in a unique way. It also has the right number of spokes in its driving wheels  - like the Bachmann 9F, but unlike the other seven Model Loco/DJH 9Fs I've got! 

Next on this journey of modelling zeal? Jesse Sim's D2 and a 'Buffalo' for Geoff Haynes. Watch this space...............

You did talk of building a couple of tank engines - J50 and J52.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, 2750Papyrus said:

You did talk of building a couple of tank engines - J50 and J52.

Did I?

I've actually ended up with one of each, built by someone else, of course..........

824083016_J50weatheredbyGeoffHaynes.jpg.242c4651e8d3ffb0750c65ebedfd8821.jpg

Here's the J50, seen a short time ago.

1465385792_J5201.jpg.2df848be6ba10192972d6aaf25042fc7.jpg

1405669669_J5202.jpg.112232e517c09cb9cc44b1c4ad6dc910.jpg

And the J52. 

Both were professionally-built/painted, and Geoff Haynes weathered them. Both are from brass kits/scratch. 

In short, they were built (among others) for a client who died before they could be delivered. The J52 was donated completely and the J50 for around 30% of its value, the idea being that all proceeds would go to to CRUK. Out of around seven such models, this pair failed to sell (why, I don't know). Taking 'pity' on them, I've bought them myself (donating the monies to CRUK), and they now appear as light engines from time to time on LB; on their way to Donny Plant for repair, or returning after a light repair (which wouldn't have resulted in their being repainted.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, Headstock said:

Good afternoon Simon,

I'm rather lacking in posh photograph equipment I'm afraid, so I'm reliant on natural daylight to get a decent shot. I've only shot one other image so far, see below. The full train will have to wait until the good weather allows me to assemble it and shoot it out in the garden. 

Parkside double bolster, kit built as it comes* but with corrected brake pull rods and replacement tie bars. Flexible steel plate was allowed to be loaded onto double bolsters, as long as it touched the deck, it didn't overhang the edges and was secured to the bolsters.

1170353444_LNERDoublebolster.jpg.097b39fe415a45a732f74fbfe47c3d28.jpg

* The stanchions, Rings, shackles, hooks, artificial steel products and Aussie chain don't come with the kit.

They look fantastic!  Would you be kind enough to give the source please?

45 minutes ago, SuperD said:

They look fantastic!  Would you be kind enough to give the source please?

Good evening superD,

Did you have anything specific in mind or sources for everything?

Edited by Headstock

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I've decided to apply some self-discipline (at last!). The discipline to try and actually finish things started far too long ago. 

A case in point is yet another 9F.

1893954186_DJH9Fex-Mick03.jpg.54fc3f8058845fff8c3fa3743ffd4a11.jpg

Regular readers might recall my buying back of this loco from Mick Peabody at the beginning of December last year. I'd started it, and then sold it to him part-built (the intention being he'd finish it). Since that was never likely (especially with Stoke and Charwelton sold - which tells you how long ago this was started), as stated, it's now my property once more. 

It's a DJH kit and came with a Midland Region-style tender. I'm building a Dave Alexander BR 1F sort, appropriate for an ER loco. David West very kindly gave me two Alexander 1F tender bodies (thanks again, David), but I thought I'd build one complete (I'll now sell the pair of bodies for CRUK). I had hoped to acquire a Bachmann 1F tender, but I'm going ahead and building this one (I need items for my demo stand at shows). The cab roof is only in place temporarily to check relative heights.

Yes, of course there's the Bachmann 9F, and very good it is, too. But, this one is 'mine' in a unique way. It also has the right number of spokes in its driving wheels  - like the Bachmann 9F, but unlike the other seven Model Loco/DJH 9Fs I've got! 

Next on this journey of modelling zeal? Jesse Sim's D2 and a 'Buffalo' for Geoff Haynes. Watch this space...............

The DJH 9F has the wrong wheelbase though…..

On 01/02/2022 at 06:52, Barry Ten said:

Progress on that Princess chassis I started a while ago:

princess.jpg.3086ff91e2122d840d2dce309becf971.jpg

Following Tony's advice I split the motion support bracket into two halves. It's a slight cheat as I haven't fixed the return crank on the other side yet, but it's running very sweetly now, albeit after an enormous amount of fettling around the slidebars and their supports.

Probably time to confess that my original plan was to make this unmotorised. The tender drive was very smooth so my motivation for building the Comet chassis was purely one of aesthetics. The Hornby original had the wrong wheelbase, chunky valve gear and the brakes the wrong way around. However, the need to solder on the motion bracket compelled me to fit a motor at this stage and be done with it, which is probably for the best in the long run.

Al

I’ll second all of that, having wrestled with a Coronation chassis from Comet in P4 (dammit it looks good now, though!) to sit under the old (2005?) City of London in BR maroon. Just as a new one is announced…

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Just in for photography/review, Oxford Rail's latest wagons.

1285622191_OxfordGE10Tvans01.jpg.b82966bf5ddc14452baad6753e86b9d2.jpg

Ex-GE 10T vans

598129127_OxfordPilchard01.jpg.f9661a0e12974cfccbe3af3d95c11496.jpg

And a 'Pilchard'.

Any thoughts, please? 

No doubt faults will be picked up by the experts, but these do seem to be good value for money. Not sure sure how long that will last though as Oxford rail are now under the Hornby umbrella.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

8 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

The DJH 9F has the wrong wheelbase though…..

Good morning Mike,

'The DJH 9F has the wrong wheelbase though.....'

Too long overall? To accommodate overscale flanges (even though the centre ones are flangeless) and to give space for the brake gear? Either way, I cannot tell by just looking at it, and if it can only be proved by measurement (by how many millimetres is it out?), then that's not 'vital' for a 'layout loco' in my opinion. 

That's not to say dimensions are not vital, but one, two, three millimetres overall on a big loco's wheelbase...................

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 3

On 03/02/2022 at 20:12, robmcg said:

Photo-stacking or focus-stacking does not inevitably mean sharpness everywhere, and I agree that composition, lighting and sometimes even a degree of distortion play a big part in making an attractive evocative picture. 

I often use two pics for a 3/4 engine portrait so I don't need the extremes of high-number f-stop and super-long open shutter, each with its compomises like electronic 'noise' in the sensor and minute camera movement.

Many ways to achieve similar goals, certainly.  In playing with a couple of new Canon RF lenses in the last week, stimulated by TW, I have achieved astonishing sharpness and clarity, but I wouldn't want it over the entire frame. 

Now if only I had placed 46252 on a model scene as good as Little Bytham!  This pic is far from finished.

Img_0070abcdefg1ab_r2080a.jpg.ef932e71038e1c473bc70ed721e8a059.jpg

Good morning Rob,

Nice and sharp overall in your shot. 

1113986025_HDDuchessR391801.jpg.bcd67d213817983775e5c8fb7f4e3e7c.jpg

A similar view, but in 'one shot'. Eighth of a second at F.32, under powerful studio lights.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Mike,

'The DJH 9F has the wrong wheelbase though.....'

Too long overall? To accommodate overscale flanges (even though the centre ones are flangeless) and to give space for the brake gear? Either way, I cannot tell by just looking at it, and if it can only be proved by measurement (by how many millimetres is it out?), then that's not 'vital' for a 'layout loco' in my opinion. 

That's not to say dimensions are not vital, but one, two, three millimetres overall on a big loco's wheelbase...................

Regards,

Tony. 

What does show, though, is that the brake gear on the model is quite wrong. If the brake gear was more accurate, the wheels could actually be a bit closer together as the real 9F doesn't have a great big hanger that needs room for a mounting between the flanges. On the real thing, you struggle to see the hanger, which I recall is behind the wheel, so you only see the mounting bracket on the frame and the brake blocks, mounted low down to allow them to be below where the flanges and treads are close together.

Look at any photo of a real 9F and you will see what I mean better than I can describe it.

So the DJH kit is wrong in two respects. The wheelbase has been extended more than necessary to allow incorrect brakes to be fitted.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Just in for photography/review, Oxford Rail's latest wagons.

1285622191_OxfordGE10Tvans01.jpg.b82966bf5ddc14452baad6753e86b9d2.jpg

Ex-GE 10T vans

598129127_OxfordPilchard01.jpg.f9661a0e12974cfccbe3af3d95c11496.jpg

And a 'Pilchard'.

Any thoughts, please? 

Would it be possible to see some pictures of the vans which show the brake gear more clearly, please, as pictures I've seen elsewhere seem to indicate that the levers and push rods are not correct?   However I don't know whether the pictures I saw were of the finished versions, that are available to buy in the shops.  The upper parts look to be excellent though!

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

What does show, though, is that the brake gear on the model is quite wrong. If the brake gear was more accurate, the wheels could actually be a bit closer together as the real 9F doesn't have a great big hanger that needs room for a mounting between the flanges. On the real thing, you struggle to see the hanger, which I recall is behind the wheel, so you only see the mounting bracket on the frame and the brake blocks, mounted low down to allow them to be below where the flanges and treads are close together.

Look at any photo of a real 9F and you will see what I mean better than I can describe it.

So the DJH kit is wrong in two respects. The wheelbase has been extended more than necessary to allow incorrect brakes to be fitted.

The Bachmann RTR version captures the 9F brakes better, 

429AAF4B-3932-4BDC-949D-E2A4164C111A.jpeg.e4290e11a28641706ea28d2b9c35be9b.jpeg

FACE88B5-1CC6-41EA-ACAC-7E7FEE83430F.jpeg.0c5df7a50d71a10d0f9a9baa9dc76a83.jpeg

Not bad for an early noughties RTR model, it’ll be interesting to see how well the new Hornby 9F fares when released. Regarding the DJH kit it was originally the Model Loco limited edition release of the late 80’s, and for its time, was very much premiere league quality. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, PMP said:

The Bachmann RTR version captures the 9F brakes better, 

429AAF4B-3932-4BDC-949D-E2A4164C111A.jpeg.e4290e11a28641706ea28d2b9c35be9b.jpeg

FACE88B5-1CC6-41EA-ACAC-7E7FEE83430F.jpeg.0c5df7a50d71a10d0f9a9baa9dc76a83.jpeg

Not bad for an early noughties RTR model, it’ll be interesting to see how well the new Hornby 9F fares when released. Regarding the DJH kit it was originally the Model Loco limited edition release of the late 80’s, and for its time, was very much premiere league quality. 

They do look better but they are still wrong.

The real thing had the hangers behind the wheel flanges, between the wheel and the frame.

This will take you to a nice close up image:

https://www.alamy.com/close-up-of-two-of-the-driving-wheels-of-british-railways-standard-class-9f-locomotive-at-alresford-station-on-the-mid-hants-steam-railway-hampshire-image363423250.html

How you do that on a model is another matter altogether. The clearances look tiny in real life so doing it in OO wouldn't be easy. If I was doing one (I have built a few 9Fs but they are the GCR version) I wouldn't model the full height of the hanger at all. I would possibly solder a wire to the bottom edge of the frame and mount a brake block and the lower part of the hanger on it. I would then put a representation of the top bracket and the upper part of the hanger fixed to the frame.

Or I may decide that it is too much work and just pretend that they had conventional brake gear!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1