Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

27 minutes ago, ecgtheow said:

Well I had logged in to Wright Writes directly, wrote my question, & submitted it, so what else should I be doing. For what it's worth please see my question below -

“This a a plea for help for those WR participants who are familiar with 4mm  loco fittings from Alan Gibson, Markits & PDK. Frank Bulkan, who is building an HR Clan Class model from a Falcon Brass kit for me, has just discovered that though 3 chimneys are supplied (2 the same & one definitely not suitable), there is no dome, no safety valves & no whistle. 

Markits offer Poss-Pop safety valves (Tall), which look just right, but are not on a base, & a thin GW whistle, which by bending the support pipe could be made into something similar to the whistle on a Clan.

AGW offer "Ross Pop safety valves on a round base-Belpaire", as well as "GER Ross Pop one-piece  & 2-piece" The first would seem to be appropriate, but there are no photos of a any of them so, I don't know which would be best.

PDK offer domes for a Gresley 02/1 & 2, an 02/3 & an 02/4 & for a B16. They all seem quite suitable & probably the one for the 02/1 & 2 would be best, but again I don't know .

If anybody could advise me, I would be most grateful“.

William

Are you clicking "Start New Topic" by accident? 

If you click that it'll start a new thread. Easily done, especially if you are using a small device or phone.

Jason

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Are you clicking "Start New Topic" by accident? 

If you click that it'll start a new thread. Easily done, especially if you are using a small device or phone.

Jason

You are correct & it’s very helpful for someone to point that out.

Thanks,, William

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Good morning Tony, hello all, and Merry Christmas!

A little late to the grammar party, but does anyone else find the modern use of the word "like" objectionable?

"I told him the news, he couldn't believe it, but I confirmed what I'd said" becomes "I was like, 'yeah' and he was like 'no way' and I was like 'yes way'".

It used to be a young people / 'street' mannerism, but it's becoming astonishing widespread. People who are otherwise very well spoken, with wide vocabularies and excellent grammar, now use it all the time. I find it particularly annoying because I think it's actually mimicking a particular class and ethnic or national group's usag; hearing white middle class Londoners trying to sound like black working class Los Angeles teenagers "is, like, totally gross, dude". It also depletes vocabularies shockingly, because it's used in place of so many other words...

Ok, rant over: I hope everyone has a great Christmas! 😀 🥳 🍻

• Like 7
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 hours ago, MikeCW said:

I too am blessed with a supportive and loving wife.  The three or four fellow railway modellers with whom I associate most frequently have wives and partners who encourage their modelling efforts which, let’s face it, can cost both time and money. On their part, I’m sure that my friends are open with their partners about the costs involved.  

But I have also known a few railway modellers (all male) who concealed from their spouses the nature and extent of their spending on the hobby. A few years ago a local railway modeller died and his wife was faced with the disposal of his model railway collection.  The deceased had controlled the family finances, had consistently claimed that they could afford neither a holiday nor her reasonable requests for renovations and modest upgrades of household furniture and fittings. When, with the assistance of a couple of railway modeller friends, she had his model railway collection catalogued and priced, she understood that she had been lied to for a large part of her married life. Half of the amount he had spent on his models would have made life much easier, and probably more fulfilling, for her.  The double whammy was that she would recover only a fraction of his expenditure when the models were sold.

So, when I hear about modellers taking steps to conceal from their wives and partners the extent of their expenditure on railway modelling, or of wives who are hostile to their husband’s hobby, my reaction isn’t to blame either party. All I know for sure (and which you implied in your post) is that there is something wrong in their marriage.

As my wife, who can often cut to the chase faster than I can, put it: these stories aren’t about railway modelling, or any other hobby, they’re about relationships.   

Good morning Mike,

In the case I cited (there are others), it wasn't a case of the bloke spending money on his hobby at the 'expense' of other things. He and his wife were loaded (they had no children!), but she just couldn't abide railways in any form.

Both are now long-deceased, but it's lucky that she pre-deceased him; otherwise everything - books, photographs, drawings, documents, models, everything railway-related would have been skipped. 

Another deceased friend's widow, although tolerant of his hobby (and helping out at shows), at his funeral asked me if I'd 'dispose' of all his railway items, including scores of models. Within a fortnight, it was all out of the house, and before long I'd sold the lot (much to her 'delight' at the prices I got!). There were no 'money' issues (they, too, had no children), but she didn't share my friend's hobby, and all his stuff was of no use to her. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

I'm off to Liverpool (Hattons !!) love.

Oh, I'll come with you. ---- Quick think ------

OK, I'll drop you off at the Chinese Supermarket, I'll only be half an hour !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Worked more than once !!

Brit15

• Like 5
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Phil Brighton said:

I hope people don't mind me posting this here - just thought it nice to share as the main theme of this topic is making things.
We just got back from visiting a friend who moved to near Frankfurt to marry a German girl.
He mentioned his neighbour was into trains (my friend is a weirdo who for some reason isn't into trains) and that I should pop round and have chat with him. What a treat! His layout was good and the buildings very nice indeed but the loco's and rolling stock was exquisite. All pre 1870 in HO and all totally scratch built - even down to the wheels that he makes himself. They ran beautifully and were frankly real little works of art.

IMG-20231224-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20231224-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20231224-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20231224-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20231224-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20231224-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20231221-WA0095.jpg

Railways of that era really are quite something. This really is a beautiful layout, is there any further information about it anywhere?

Nestor 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, Phil Brighton said:

I hope people don't mind me posting this here - just thought it nice to share as the main theme of this topic is making things.
We just got back from visiting a friend who moved to near Frankfurt to marry a German girl.
He mentioned his neighbour was into trains (my friend is a weirdo who for some reason isn't into trains) and that I should pop round and have chat with him. What a treat! His layout was good and the buildings very nice indeed but the loco's and rolling stock was exquisite. All pre 1870 in HO and all totally scratch built - even down to the wheels that he makes himself. They ran beautifully and were frankly real little works of art.

IMG-20231224-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20231224-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20231224-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20231224-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20231224-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20231224-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20231221-WA0095.jpg

Exquisite!

Thanks for showing us.

I think folk would mind if you didn't post images such as these.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Premium

I hope someone on here knows what I mean.

I am building a LRM LMS 2P 0-4-4T

The bogie requires riveting the bogie sides to the bogie equalisation beams.

What do the rivets look like?

How do you rivet on a model as I only have pop rivet equipment?

Currently building the road runner + gearbox

1 hour ago, nest said:

Railways of that era really are quite something. This really is a beautiful layout, is there any further information about it anywhere?

Nestor 

HI Nestor - didn't realise you were going German with your modelling!

I don't know of any other information sorry. He said he didn't use online forums and I have no idea about the German modelling press. It's a shame because aside from the interesting explanations of how he built the models I didn't realise the complications of the period and place. For example when looking at works drawings from pre 1870 and unification he needs to check the units of measurement as every state and half the cities had different length feet and inches! Fascinating stuff. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

GordonHilldestinationboard.jpg.a9e7cc9ac5dea4a6ecfcdc9acfadbd0c.jpg

Ian Wilson asked me to take a picture of one of his latest Pacific Models destination boards.

I remember Gordon Hill playing on the left wing for Manchester United in the mid/late 70s. He was nowhere as reliable as a GER suburban tank.

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Phil Brighton said:

HI Nestor - didn't realise you were going German with your modelling!

I don't know of any other information sorry. He said he didn't use online forums and I have no idea about the German modelling press. It's a shame because aside from the interesting explanations of how he built the models I didn't realise the complications of the period and place. For example when looking at works drawings from pre 1870 and unification he needs to check the units of measurement as every state and half the cities had different length feet and inches! Fascinating stuff. 

Conversation for another time Phil but was briefly interested but have since moved on. Oh the joys of being between layouts! 

Nestor 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I've reached a point now where I'll do no more to the DJH S15 I've featured of late, leaving my friend to complete it.

DJHS1508.jpg.073f2832e5a006b69475b7a4de6bb377.jpg

Which he'll do when he visits in January. 

Some of the pictures I took of mine under construction survived the RMweb image crash. This was from back in 2015 and was my first go at both soldering white metal (as well as brass to white metal) and valve gear. I got her out for a spin last week and was pleased that she ran well straight out of storage, although one of the front steps needed repair.

spacer.png

• Like 18

10 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Mike,

In the case I cited (there are others), it wasn't a case of the bloke spending money on his hobby at the 'expense' of other things. He and his wife were loaded (they had no children!), but she just couldn't abide railways in any form.

Both are now long-deceased, but it's lucky that she pre-deceased him; otherwise everything - books, photographs, drawings, documents, models, everything railway-related would have been skipped. 

Another deceased friend's widow, although tolerant of his hobby (and helping out at shows), at his funeral asked me if I'd 'dispose' of all his railway items, including scores of models. Within a fortnight, it was all out of the house, and before long I'd sold the lot (much to her 'delight' at the prices I got!). There were no 'money' issues (they, too, had no children), but she didn't share my friend's hobby, and all his stuff was of no use to her. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Children costing you money, surely not!

35yr old has just come back home for two weeks over Christmas with the front end of his car smashed in.

His Insurance is sky high already, due to misdemeanours, so guess what his Christmas present will be.

(A trip to the body shop).

Anyway, enough moaning about kids.

I hope you all have a Merry Christmas and a Happy and Prosperous new year.

(Look in Currently Drinking thread).

Bon Noel.

Andy.

• Friendly/supportive 9

4 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

Some of the pictures I took of mine under construction survived the RMweb image crash. This was from back in 2015 and was my first go at both soldering white metal (as well as brass to white metal) and valve gear. I got her out for a spin last week and was pleased that she ran well straight out of storage, although one of the front steps needed repair.

spacer.png

Thanks Al,

It looks good.

One thing I might have to change on the one I'm building is the pipe (both sides) which runs from the clack to a position through the footplate. Its shape certainly varied, but I think I've arranged mine more like a Maunsell S15. 

See you in the New Year.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1