Sandy,I've just checked a couple of photos of the ones belonging to Tennents foundry in Whifflet and they appear to have that piece on the right hand side.Just double checked some more shots and they all point to the front of the loco.Maybe it was something which was inter changeable.

Hope this helps.

Edited by asa

They are apparently 'Axle Adjusters'?? Something to do with chain tensioning or alignment? I'm not sure.

Sandy

According to a Sentinel publication:

"the axle boxes are held in place by radius rods adjustable in length to take up wear in the chains.  The end of the springs slide on hardened steel plates carried in deep brackets rivetted to the main frames"

Obviously the radius rods must run in the same direction on each axle as otherwise the axle would tend to twist when the springs were compressed.

Edited by PGH
  • Like 1

Mike Boucher - Thanks for the info on the Parallel reamers, costly little blighters aint they.  I seem to remember using a set in a wooden box, I think there were 6 or was it 9 in there but that was many moons ago.

Regards

Edited by Barnaby

According to a Sentinel publication:

"the axle boxes are held in place by radius rods adjustable in length to take up wear in the chains.  The end of the springs slide on hardened steel plates carried in deep brackets rivetted to the main frames"

Obviously the radius rods must run in the same direction on each axle as otherwise the axle would tend to twist when the springs were compressed.

Probably looking at the same publication ("Sentinel " Patent Locomotives and Concrete Cases ?) on the opposite page is an excellent diagram, which due to copyright I cant show here, however if you wish to PM me I can e-mail you a scan if it helps.

If any of you are interested in "Sentinel" loco's the diagrams and photo's in this book are invaluable. It only had a short print run but can sometimes be found second hand or in libraries, ISBN 0 85409 958 1 . 

Phil T.  

Probably looking at the same publication ("Sentinel " Patent Locomotives and Concrete Cases ?) on the opposite page is an excellent diagram, which due to copyright I cant show here, however if you wish to PM me I can e-mail you a scan if it helps.

If any of you are interested in "Sentinel" loco's the diagrams and photo's in this book are invaluable. It only had a short print run but can sometimes be found second hand or in libraries, ISBN 0 85409 958 1 . 

Phil T.  

That's the one - reprint of a 1931 Sentinel publication by EP Publishing Ltd in 1974. It covers earlier types than the subject of this model but the basic design features remained the same.

Sentinel extolled the virtues of chain drive which allowed the use of a more flexible suspension than on an ordinary locomotive and it was much easier on the track, which allowed the use of a lighter rail section.

It appears that, as the springs were not actually fixed to the brackets, the only thing which prevented the wheels "falling off" when the locos were lifted (apart of course from the radius rods and chains) were the bolts in the bottom of the brackets shown arrowed in the photo below.

post-14569-0-81955100-1362224372.jpg

The nuts on top of the brackets would be to retain the hardened steel wearing plates on which the ends of the springs were seated. 

• Like 3

Well done gents! A wealth of information. I even had a gent visit me at Kettering today with the gift of a couple of photos of the preserved example at a heritage industrial site in south Lincs. Thanks again Dave for the photographs.

Sandy

Just by way of a pleasant diversion I thought I might share with you these photographs taken at the weekend. They are of a HR Castle which appears to be a commercially built model circa 1930. The Big Goods, conversely, looks to have been scratch built by a gifted armature around the same time. The owners brother can recall seeing both models in his fathers house around that time.  Both models are Gauge 1 with the Castle fitted for outside third rail pick up. The 'Goods is fitted for stud contact and looks to be a coarser scale to the Castle. They appear to have had very little use, especially the Castle, and have lain in the back of a cupboard for many, many years!

Sandy

post-7733-0-33622900-1362758226_thumb.jpg

post-7733-0-15096000-1362758236_thumb.jpg

post-7733-0-39396000-1362758246_thumb.jpg

post-7733-0-80280000-1362758215_thumb.jpg

post-7733-0-63975800-1362758256_thumb.jpg

post-7733-0-38332800-1362758266_thumb.jpg

post-7733-0-67329900-1362758276_thumb.jpg

post-7733-0-52910500-1362758287_thumb.jpg

post-7733-0-69327100-1362758297_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sandy Harper
  • Like 12

Hi asa

I think I feel one in 7mm coming on!!!!!!!!!

Thats after I paint the coach and sheep van I have already finished plus the S15 and the Sentinel. And built the Schools, Dukedog and the Steam Railmotor that are lined up. So maybe 2015ish?  :stinker:

Regards

Sandy

• Like 1

Fantastic job Sandy,what livery will it be?

Just noticed it does'nt have a bunker but it should be easy enough to put one on.When I do mine it will have to be the blue and red of the Whifflet ones.

Summerlee Heritage site have one,I used to take my grandson to play on it often before he started school.Unfortunately the door has been welded shut because it is too rusty and dangerous.I'd love to see it restored and running on the tram line there.

Bo'ness also have one which I think was fully restored but I was told the injector had been stolen.

Regards Al.

Smashing job!

I had the pleasure of being on the footplate when we took 9376 on the old quarry system at Barrington cement works for an open day.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12a_kingmoor_klickr/7251975302/in/set-72157629560956868

They have a completely different feeling to a regular steam locomotive - a smooth and quiet ride!

Paul A.

• Like 1