Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

An update to say that I at last have some real movement - the trains running on the tracks kind :no:  :no: :no:  :no:  

OK its not something worth showing yet as its only the 'Up' main and the joints and C&L points need to be 'fettled' before thrashing anything through. I did not want any track pins in the sleepers so chose to temporarily fix the track down with double sided tape, unfortunately I have found this method whilst sticking to the baseboard like 'glue' it does not stick to the SMP track base so well, therefore the sections not yet ballasted are lifting and causing mis-alignment, once this is all sorted out I will post a video - honest.

I have also got the point motors wired up on the scenic section.

Mike, I found exactly the same thing and gave up on double sided tape very quickly.

I don't like track pins. I stuck the normal (non-turnout) track down onto a bed of PVA and weighted it in position until the glue dried. Turnouts were "locked" in place by the surrounding track and the wires soldered to them and through the baseboard.

It'll be nice to see the first video of Dent coming to life.

Jeff

Mike, I found exactly the same thing and gave up on double sided tape very quickly.

I don't like track pins. I stuck the normal (non-turnout) track down onto a bed of PVA and weighted it in position until the glue dried. Turnouts were "locked" in place by the surrounding track and the wires soldered to them and through the baseboard.

It'll be nice to see the first video of Dent coming to life.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Its one of those things, I've always used Peco and trackpins but read somewhere the sticky-tape method and thought - what a good idea - NOT. Never mind all will be well in the end, just another little dilemma to conquer. It was nice to see 72009 on a semi-fast trundle southbound albeit for 20ft !

• Like 2

GRASS ANDY! You keep those KL or LK2 comments to yourself my man!

Progress is slow because its being built on an exhibition layout principle which as you know means a remote control panel as there are 4 scenic boards, 4 fiddle yard boards and two 5 mile spirals!

Keep your up mate, the house move will soon be sorted and modelling can commence once again, I was really disillusioned when my den got flooded but now I have rebuilt and got a whole new project out of it - it wasn't so bad after all.

• Like 3

Hi all,

Just another update. All the main scenic boards are now wired up and undergoing test, needless to say a few gremlins need ousting! Thought this was supposed to be a relaxing hobby!

On an observation of my previous post I'm a bit miffed about the moderation to the quite acceptable English language comment I made to 'Andrew P' by saying 'keep your pec-ker up mate' This phrase has been in use in this country for decades and is even plentiful in old movies yet in todays 'PC' world its been deemed otherwise, I am not very happy about the 'supposed' connotation which obviously hashed out the word without actually checking if any bad language was inferred. Something needs addressing here before we lose our wonderful language.

Hi Mike, I know you well enough, even though we've only met face to face the once to know you weren't being rude to me. I do agree because the hasses made an innocent phrase look really bad.

Anyway, glad to here you have things running at last which is great news for us railway starved mortals waiting for the VIDEO. Will it be in High Definition Colour to show up the GRASS, hahahahee

Can you recommend the Helix yet or is the Jury still out on that one?

All the best mate,

Andy :sungum:

Hi Mike, I know you well enough, even though we've only met face to face the once to know you weren't being rude to me. I do agree because the hasses made an innocent phrase look really bad.

Anyway, glad to here you have things running at last which is great news for us railway starved mortals waiting for the VIDEO. Will it be in High Definition Colour to show up the GRASS, hahahahee

Can you recommend the Helix yet or is the Jury still out on that one?

All the best mate,

Hi Andy,

Hey good buddy you need to hold your horses a bit. I'm struggling with wiring the single slips (I've only ever used Peco before so its learning 'leap' not a simple curve, I can manage those no bother.) Helix has not seen any action as yet and GRASS is a long long no even longer way off :jester:  :jester:

I think you and Jeff will be fighting over the Lawn Mower in 2017.

Good luck with the wiring, I'm thinking of taking Jason's advice and going for the simple option and doing my points through the hand set.

If the Helix doesn't work you could always sell it to Alton Towers for Mice to use for a Toboggan Run, hahha

All the best mate.

• RMweb Premium

Mike, I stuck another couple of Dent pics onto KL for your delight and delectation....

Here's a couple more. I think the second pic is the "15 guinea special" on the last day of mainline steam in August 68. If Dave reads this he may correct me if I'm wrong.

post-13778-0-55672500-1392331020_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-99594000-1392331025_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 9

Mike, I stuck another couple of Dent pics onto KL for your delight and delectation....

Here's a couple more. I think the second pic is the "15 guinea special" on the last day of mainline steam in August 68. If Dave reads this he may correct me if I'm wrong.

attachicon.gif2-19-2008_033p.jpg

attachicon.gif4-10-2013p.jpg

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

You surely can't be wrong with that assumption as the crowd level would equate to Dent's entire passenger figures for about 5 years :no: Cracking pic's, loving it!!!!

Going to Shildon on Sunday now due to weather. I am going to give 60009 a good thrashing with a branch in Fawlty Towers fashion as this loco' let me down on a special a few years back and I need to vent my anger :stinker: I need to think of a diversionary tactic now.

• RMweb Gold

Good luck with the wiring, I'm thinking of taking Jason's advice and going for the simple option and doing my points through the hand set.

There's still feeds and polarity changing to worry about, wiring to a switch is the easy bit, haven't had the pleasure of a slip yet, may build one one day!

(Pekker?)

Ha! Ha! Spelling it wrong gets it through!

Hi Paul,

Cheers for that, all those English teachers I had must be turning in their graves.

I have followed Ian Rice's diagram and downloaded several wiring diagrams but no combination pans out as yet. I have a friend who will easily sort it out but then I won't understand it if you get my drift.

Update:

Gave up on slips for now and turned to painting the track in readiness for ballasting, also fine tuning the alignment between boards and tidying up control panel etc. Will post a few pic's of the panel later.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Thought I best post these photo's now as I'll probably forget later.

post-5296-0-25272500-1392486839_thumb.jpg

This is the first stage of the track colouring applied via airbrush - which decided to give up the ghost part way through, and not for the first time. I think its time for a replacement!

post-5296-0-63668900-1392486868_thumb.jpg

General panel overview with temporary labelling in place.

post-5296-0-73357500-1392486888.jpg

post-5296-0-40843100-1392486921.jpg

Internal views, which in honesty look worse than they are.

post-5296-0-49000400-1392486950.jpg

Rear view showing Sub-D outlets which I have found successful in many years as chosen power transfer, others may differ!

• Like 4

Hi all,

attachicon.gifIMG-20140128-01271.jpg

This is the first stage of the track colouring applied via airbrush - which decided to give up the ghost part way through, and not for the first time. I think its time for a replacement!

attachicon.gifIMG-20140215-01311.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG-20140215-01312.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG-20140215-01313.jpg

Internal views, which in honesty look worse than they are.

attachicon.gifIMG-20140215-01314.jpg

Rear view showing Sub-D outlets which I have found successful in many years as chosen power transfer, others may differ!

THAT'S NOT A CONTROL PANEL FOR A SIMPLE MODEL RAILWAY MIKE, :no:

That's Mission Control

:O

Confused even more of Swad :scared: :scared: :scared: :boast: :boast: :boast: :boast:

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

"This is Mike McManus to Major Tom, you've really made the grade. And the papers want to know whose shirts you wear. Now it's time to leave Dent station if you dare...."

"This is Major Tom to Mike McManus - I'm climbing out of the (waiting) room. And I'm floating in a most peculiar way.... And the 9Fs look so very different today....."

Sorry, Andy's post just set me off!

Jeff

EDIT: "Mike McManus to Major Tom, MY circuits dead - there's something wrong..... bl**dy dodgy LEDs again"

Edited by Physicsman

"This is Mike McManus to Major Tom, you've really made the grade. And the papers want to know whose shirts you wear. Now it's time to leave Dent station if you dare...."

"This is Major Tom to Mike McManus - I'm climbing out of the (waiting) room. And I'm floating in a most peculiar way.... And the 9Fs look so very different today....."

Sorry, Andy's post just set me off!

Jeff

EDIT: "Mike McManus to Major Tom, MY circuits dead - there's something wrong..... bl**dy dodgy LEDs again"

Really good Mike :O

NOT :no:

No it is really good :locomotive:  for this time of night after I have just had a shot of Whiskey in my Coffee, :stinker: :stinker: :stinker: :stinker: :stinker:

Andy :beee:

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

attachicon.gifIMG-20140128-01271.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG-20140215-01311.jpg

Lovely work. Did you knock all that up in your shop?

The track work looks real nice BTW, something I think which is beyond my abilities.

Though I'm past

one hundred thousand miles

I'm feeling very still

And I think my eight F knows which way to go

Now I'm gonna have that song in my head for the rest of the weekend.

Oh an Irish coffee sounds just the ticket Andy. With squirty cream on top!!

Regards Shaun

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 2

I'm not concerned with the ability of Sub D's to transmit low powers (like 1A-2A), but don't recommend them when used with DCC power- which is where my recommendation further up came from.  Since Dent is going to be DC, then it doesn't matter as much...

I do use a pair on Long Marton...

8037792047_d139b6fc1d.jpg
Xmas 2009 069 by Peach James, on Flickr

the gray Telco wires behind my older assistant's head connect to a 25 pin set.  Used for connecting the torti to the signalbox.

James

• Like 1

Hi all,

You lot are raving madmen and a happy youngster for good measure. I have been laughing that much er' indoors thinks I'm having a funny turn, well what if I am!

It was just the tonic I needed after my 370 + mile trek to Shildon via 'Dent' of course. The drive up was uneventful and at Dent I met the owner of the Station Masters house who had just returned from unblocking his water supply from 'Monkey Beck' !!!!! Yep' they still don't have mains water up there and the poor soul was frozen. I did learn that the lean-to at the rear was an addition by him, less for me to make :no: I also noticed a small window in the gable of the station building which I don't see on the plans or had even noticed before but he told me it was put in at the time a school owned the property as the loft was used as a dormitory. WHY DIDN'T I GO TO THAT SCHOOL?

As I was passing through the Fells I was truly thinking how inspiring it is to model somewhere in this location and as I passed through Kirkby Stephen Jeff's Kirkby Luneside layout came to mind, however at this time I had no idea that Jeff had composed a classic S&C anthem based entirely on 'my circuits dead  there's something wrong' had I known that then I would have perhaps been thinking negative thoughts. No no let's stay positive!

On my travels I took a couple of pictures of (I think) Shotlock Hill Tunnel mouth and nearly got bogged down in the verge in the process, I'll post them once I've downloaded them.

To answer a couple of questions posed above:

Jeff: Blackpool's roller coaster wouldn't be anywhere near as much fun! Note* I have not opened the PDF as yet but hoping it different to what I have already done, cheers Jeff.

Andy: How did you know I referred to it as 'Mission Control'? I really meant to put that term in when I loaded the photo's. :locomotive:

Shaun: Yes knocked Mission Control up during the odd quiet moment at the workshop but all the electrics have been done at home.

James: I know they don't recommend 'Sub-D' connectors on DCC  but I have no intention of following that method, I can't be doing with any more learning curves at my time of life! :nono:

Took me a while to compile this as Julia 'B' is on TV and being a Lunester I'm duty bound to follow her every move, aren't I?

• Like 4

I missed her tonight, I was in the conservatory dooooooodling EVEN MORE TRACK PLANS.

Just off to KL to find Jeff's plan of KS to see if the goods yard would work for me.

Disconnecting my umbilical cord and floating down I just hope I don't put a BIG DENT in someones layout, hhaha

Captain Andy :sungum: