• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

Just a quick update to say that I have finally finished the tracklaying on the scenic section as I had hoped. Eureka!

Well get your camera out, then, and lets all look at your smoothly flowing curves!

Jeff

ps. Well done, Mike.

• RMweb Premium

What stopped you John?

Mike, did you see the P4 Dent layout that John acquired from an acquaintance?

I thought he was brave to contemplate the overhaul - it was a huge undertaking. John, where did it go after Big Jim (I think?) took it off your hands?

Jeff

Hi guys,

Quite a few things conspired against me, main one being that my good lady was suffering a spell where she was pretty poorly for a long period and this had quite a detrimental effect on me.

Next thing, the layout was about 18" too long for the room it should have gone into - I then had the utterly MAD idea of increasing the length further to get the layby loops to look more realistic. To be set up and operated in a gazebo of sufficient size!

I also found that the track had been built in the ply & rivet method, using rivets that had corroded somewhat so that made track rebuilding rather difficult!

All the scenery, platforms, the few buildings etc were rather poorly constructed i.e. by 1970's standards at best (& smelt like it, very musty!!!).

Finally, I had a huge burst of interest in German outline in H0.

I was very grateful to Big Jim offering to take it off my hands and if memory serves, it went to a local P4 group down Chester way. I only hope they can make a go of it, it was a worthwhile project but too much for me!

At least it gave me a lasting appreciation of the S&C and later, the Peak lines AND got me firmly involved with the Lunesters! Gawd knows where I'd be without you guys!

Cheers,

John E.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

John, hope you didn't mind me jumping in and part answering Mike's question re. your Dent layout. I can remember your thread - and the photos when you "unfurled" your new acquisition! Must look at those again, sometime!

And please remember - YOU started the S&C section, so were indirectly responsible for the Lunester mayhem which has been unleashed!

Jeff

• Like 1

Hi John and Jeff,

Oh yes I visited the P4 Dent thread and also wondered why it seemed to halt, understandable now, hope the good lady is a bit better these days.

No problem jumping in Jeff, I regularly absail into KL without any chastisement. Long may it continue - both ways!

You don't have to be Mad to be a Lunester, Just a Railway Modeller, hahaa

See you Sat, it will be good to put a face to a name, I will probably be wearing my RM Web badge if I remember to put it around my neck, George T will be with me as well. I will let Polly (Southern42) and her husband Ray (Tender) know where and when were meeting as well.

MORE PICS PLEASE, but not the wiring, its worrying me :no: :no: :no: :no: hahhaa

And :O

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

John, hope you didn't mind me jumping in and part answering Mike's question re. your Dent layout. I can remember your thread - and the photos when you "unfurled" your new acquisition! Must look at those again, sometime!

And please remember - YOU started the S&C section, so were indirectly responsible for the Lunester mayhem which has been unleashed!

Jeff

No, not at all matey! Jump in whenever, wherever - as Shakira might say!!!

Yeah, guess I did make the first suggestion to Andy Y about the S&C section - turned out all right, didn't it!?! It would be nothing without everyone else's input, of course!

Never in my wildest dreams did I consider where it might lead, ha, ha, ha!!!

Well Mike, that's your thread thoroughly corrupted now, sorry!

Thanks for the wishes about (my) Bev, she's getting a whole lot better now, thankfully.

Cheers all,

John E.

• Like 2

Hi John,

Corruption at last! I've waited decades to reach those high echelon's.

Andy... RMWeb badge? Who do you have to kidnap to get that?

Edited by mike61680
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Edit to add,

I'll wear my Blue Peter badge then............so there.......nah, nah :beee:  :beee:

And I bet you've actually got one as well. Show off!!!!!!!!!

I'm jealous!  :cry:   :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Jeff

ps. Question in KL re. your perspex, if you'd care to have a look.

Hi John,

Corruption at last! I've waited decades to reach those high echelon's.

Andy... RMWeb badge? Who do you have to kidnap to get that?

Hi Mike, it was from the RM Web open day in Stafford a couple of years back, we need to lobby Andy Y for some even if we had to pay a fiver or so for them it would be good at shows.

And :sungum:

• Like 1

Hi Jeff,

YES I HAVE GOT ONE............... :beee: presented by Val, Chris and John in 19...... drat..... the ribbons ran out. I'll give you a clue. I wrote in after Hornby introduced their English Electric Type 3 (Class 37 to these young whippersnappers) They announced its arrival and stated you could see the real thing on the London Midland, Eastern, North Eastern and Western Regions......Well I was horrified because they were also to be seen on the Scottish Region......so I told them so. I got a nice letter of apology and a badge for my troubles, a type 3 would have gone down better then but the kudos of having the badge is worth far more. 

Andy, I was at the Stafford RMWeb day back then, did you have to be exhibiting to get one?

See you tomorrow.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

YES I HAVE GOT ONE............... :beee: presented by Val, Chris and John in 19...... drat..... the ribbons ran out. I'll give you a clue. I wrote in after Hornby introduced their English Electric Type 3 (Class 37 to these young whippersnappers) They announced its arrival and stated you could see the real thing on the London Midland, Eastern, North Eastern and Western Regions......Well I was horrified because they were also to be seen on the Scottish Region......so I told them so. I got a nice letter of apology and a badge for my troubles, a type 3 would have gone down better then but the kudos of having the badge is worth far more. 

Andy, I was at the Stafford RMWeb day back then, did you have to be exhibiting to get one?

See you tomorrow.

Many congrats!

That must have been a while ago. I didn't start watching Blue Peter until the Val, John and Peter Purves era. Don't think I ever watched an episode with Chris Trace.

Thanks for the perspex inspiration. I think white perspex is the perfect material for me!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

In answer to your question about pick up goods trains at Dent in the Summer 1961 WTT the northbound Class K 9:13am Skipton to Carlisle is shown as stopping at Dent from 1.03pm to 1.18pm Mondays to Saturdays. The southbound 8;30am Carlisle to Skipton is shown as stopping "when required" without a time. It was scheduled to leave Garsdale at 2;20pm (SX) and 3.25pm SO and pass Blea Moor at 2:35 or 3:25. 

The complete freight WTT is on my website in the section about Hellifield at:

http://steverabone.com/Hellifield%20Website/freight_working_timetables_for_s.htm

The rest of this section of my website may also be of interest to you:

http://steverabone.com/Hellifield%20Website/index.html

Stephen Rabone 

• Like 5

Many congrats!

That must have been a while ago. I didn't start watching Blue Peter until the Val, John and Peter Purves era. Don't think I ever watched an episode with Chris Trace.

Thanks for the perspex inspiration. I think white perspex is the perfect material for me!

Jeff

Jeff, it was Peter not Chris........its the old memory again!

In answer to your question about pick up goods trains at Dent in the Summer 1961 WTT the northbound Class K 9:13am Skipton to Carlisle is shown as stopping at Dent from 1.03pm to 1.18pm Mondays to Saturdays. The southbound 8;30am Carlisle to Skipton is shown as stopping "when required" without a time. It was scheduled to leave Garsdale at 2;20pm (SX) and 3.25pm SO and pass Blea Moor at 2:35 or 3:25. 

http://steverabone.com/Hellifield%20Website/freight_working_timetables_for_s.htm

Stephen Rabone 

Hi Stephen,

Hi there, yes someone put me wise to your site some time ago which I have trawled through many times, great source of inspiration and factual information, a big vote of thanks from me and many others on the S&C thread. Well done that man!

I was trying to work out if say any 'Up' goods was uncoupled at say the platform while the loco run forward to collect a wagon from the station siding, pulled back across the main line and carried on southbound. If so it would give me a good excuse for a bit of shunting.

• RMweb Premium

Stephen Rabone 

Yes, can I second Mike's comments. This kind of thing is a great primary source for those of us looking at steam era operations and involving the S&C.

I've looked at it before - but I'll make a proper note of the link this time!

Many thanks.

Jeff

Hi all,

Off to Stafford tomorrow but managed a little more in the den through the week and tonight, it was mainly wiring (sorry Andy but there's going to be photos soon) but tonight I managed with the help of John to final fix the 'Coal Road' bridge in the correct location and at the correct height, for those among you who may have noticed it looked too high (but kept quiet) it was all in the planning - honest. So Andy with a bit of luck I will make a start on some scenery at that end very soon.

There's a tunnel mouth to blend in behind the bridge, 'Monkey Beck' to form flowing under the line leading up to the station platforms, the Station Masters house and approach roads to form etc. on that board, estimated time 3 years at the rate I'm going at!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Stephen,

Hi there, yes someone put me wise to your site some time ago which I have trawled through many times, great source of inspiration and factual information, a big vote of thanks from me and many others on the S&C thread. Well done that man!

I was trying to work out if say any 'Up' goods was uncoupled at say the platform while the loco run forward to collect a wagon from the station siding, pulled back across the main line and carried on southbound. If so it would give me a good excuse for a bit of shunting.

The method that would have been used for an Up goods would be 1) leave the train in the platform line 2) locomotive to back across the crossover and pull any wagons from the very short siding at the south end of the Down platform across to the Up line and couple up to the train.

If there were any wagons in the long layby siding to be collected it would be possible to run round these in the very short loop in front of the signal box. 

Goods facilities were withdrawn at Dent on 1 October 1964, although I believe they were still used for the odd engineering department's wagons after this and no doubt also for wagons removed from trains with hot axleboxes from time to time.

Incidentally the reason the SO southbound working ran later was it was recessed at Appleby and Kirkby Stephen to be overtaken by various expresses and class 4 freights..

The method that would have been used for an Up goods would be 1) leave the train in the platform line 2) locomotive to back across the crossover and pull any wagons from the very short siding at the south end of the Down platform across to the Up line and couple up to the train.

If there were any wagons in the long layby siding to be collected it would be possible to run round these in the very short loop in front of the signal box. 

Goods facilities were withdrawn at Dent on 1 October 1964, although I believe they were still used for the odd engineering department's wagons after this and no doubt also for wagons removed from trains with hot axleboxes from time to time.

Incidentally the reason the SO southbound working ran later was it was recessed at Appleby and Kirkby Stephen to be overtaken by various expresses and class 4 freights..

Hi Stephen,

Many thanks for that info. You may not believe this but I have been asking about this since I started this project off and on without any definitive answer, it would appear its like buses, you get two at once! I was at the Stafford show today and picked up 'The Best of Eric Treacy' book and casually opened it somehow at page 91 where I could not believe it, it was Dent station with Ivatt Mogul 43139 shunting back from the 'Up' to the 'Down' to shunt the siding............What can I say, I must have had divine guidance!

Cheers for the info Stephen.