Hi Andy and Jason,

Thanks for that lad's, also thanks for the paint choice comment Jason. I'm not the best at colour and arty things but have always used No. 84 as you can probably see from that Milne photo of 10 years ago. I have about 8 tins of it.

There's been no suggestions for the name for Jeff's 'bunker' I'll have to get my thinking cap on, I just call mine the 'Den'.

Hi all,

Just an update to say I have spent the day finishing off the R/H spiral which I decided to raise a further level to allow a little more clearance below. It was not that straightforward as all the steel studding was cut off level and had to have a stud extender nut and short extension of stud iron and spacer tube all cut and fashioned into place - and there is 32 of them! I also had to make another set of boards for the track. So all in all a good days efforts but not really worth a picture as its difficult to see any difference from the last.

More station building work next week if all goes well.

Hi all,

Back on August 24th I proudly announced that the spirals were complete, then on 24 September 'ChrisN' gave me a rude awakening call for which I remain grateful. After a test run down came the spirals and they have now been re-engineered to lengthen the travel by 2300mm to reach the same height, it works out at about 1:75 and tests out 'satisfactorily' NOT perfect but.....

Its now the 24th November and I can announce both spirals are again complete - A full 3 months to get to where I once was !!!!  I have not taken any photos as the den is in a state of dishevelment but once all is back to normal I will post a few shots.

I have attached the 'Up' main line from the fiddle yard to the spiral entrance. I will lay the 'Up' exit fiddle yard pointwork next followed by a temporary passage through the layout level just to have a proper testing of the concept, too late now for any more changes so what will be - will be.

I have one more distraction to complete before getting really stuck in and that is to install a wood burner in the den as my electric meter is now 'hovering' trying to make the place pleasant to work in.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Back on August 24th I proudly announced that the spirals were complete, then on 24 September 'ChrisN' gave me a rude awakening call for which I remain grateful. After a test run down came the spirals and they have now been re-engineered to lengthen the travel by 2300mm to reach the same height, it works out at about 1:75 and tests out 'satisfactorily' NOT perfect but.....

Its now the 24th November and I can announce both spirals are again complete - A full 3 months to get to where I once was !!!!  I have not taken any photos as the den is in a state of dishevelment but once all is back to normal I will post a few shots.

I have attached the 'Up' main line from the fiddle yard to the spiral entrance. I will lay the 'Up' exit fiddle yard pointwork next followed by a temporary passage through the layout level just to have a proper testing of the concept, too late now for any more changes so what will be - will be.

I have one more distraction to complete before getting really stuck in and that is to install a wood burner in the den as my electric meter is now 'hovering' trying to make the place pleasant to work in.

Mike,

I don't think it was me.  It was a Chris but I cannot take the credit.

I have only been following your thread recently as, well there is only so much you can read but it looks really good so far.  Perhaps I can make useful comments later.

Mike,

I don't think it was me.  It was a Chris but I cannot take the credit.

I have only been following your thread recently as, well there is only so much you can read but it looks really good so far.  Perhaps I can make useful comments later.

Hi Chris 'N'

Quite right is was actually 'ChrisG' who flagged up the friction problem with the spirals, apologies to both Christopher's.

I've been tidying up over the past few days so should be able to post a pic' or two at the weekend.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

No need to apologise to me.  I did think as I read it, 'I hope that will be alright', but that was probably about a month after you had changed it as I am late coming to this thread.

Look forward to the pictures.

Mike,

No need to apologise to me.  I did think as I read it, 'I hope that will be alright', but that was probably about a month after you had changed it as I am late coming to this thread.

Look forward to the pictures.

Cheers Chris,

I was going hell for leather on the assumption if its a marketed product it surely must work pretty well and I did not really have anything set-up to test it out, however once you sowed that seed of doubt I just had to try it, the rest is history. It seems to be at least 50% better than it was but it will have to do.

Just in the middle of sorting out the den to fit a wood burner, hopefully when that is in I can spend a bit more mid-week time in there, its just not possible to keep it heated all the time or warm it for only an hour so I'm only getting in there at weekends. Once the wood burner is fitted I can keep it simmering away all day - can't wait!

• Like 1

Hi all,

A busy weekend but most of it taken up attaching the spirals to the layout proper. A good deal of re-alignment was required with the changes made to the spiral plus re-setting the layout height to take account of the extra level I added to each spiral to make access to the rear of the fiddle yard a little easier.

Here are some pictures to show things as they are now....

This is the 'Down end' of the layout showing the run-in to the spiral

This shows both the run-in and the run-out to the fiddle yard at 'Down' end

Templot track plan views along looking 'North'

View showing the 'Up' run-in to the spiral

This shows the run-in and run-out to the fiddle yard at 'Up' end

Templot track plan views looking 'South'

General views of the den showing the set-up of the layout, fiddle yard and spirals.

Once all connections between these are made it will be time for some serious track laying - watch this space!

That is an awesome bit of wood work .

It looks like the start of a great layout you have there .

Will be watching wih interest.

Brian

That is an awesome bit of wood work .

It looks like the start of a great layout you have there .

Will be watching wih interest.

Brian

Hi Brian,

Many thanks, it does help when one does it for a living and you can apply a bit of 'Parkinson's Law' ? I think that's the one where you can fill in time doing something worthwhile, someone will tell me I'm sure.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Just to update, I have now completed both layout to spiral trackwork joints with copperclad sleepers glued down and the SMP rail de-sleepered and soldered down. What's even better news is that I have ran a loco' over all four joints and they have proved themselves to be level and true - GREAT!

I now only have this task to complete at the lower 'Up' end fiddleyard to spiral joint, should get this done before the weekend.

The next 'proper' task will be laying the 'Up' fiddleyard points however I have temporarily laid about 6ft of the up main, the section as the line passes under the Coal Road bridge and I am tempted to lay the full length just to try it out - DISCIPLINE MICHAEL - DISCIPLINE :nono: I have been disciplined in the fact that I have closed the sleeper joints every 240mm to match the standard 60ft rail lengths, I hope its worth it as its a right pain.

I have to say it was gratifying to see something run even if it was only up a partial spiral section and about 2ft onto the layout. Will post a few pic's at the weekend.

Still undecided on the stove so energy giant is loving me.

• Like 2

Hi all,

Just a quick update to say all entrance and exit routes now fixed and soldered in place. R/H 'Up' fiddleyard points are next on the list, I hope I remember how I did the L/H lot !

• Like 2

Hi all,

Spent the day laying copperclad sleepers and have begun building the pointwork, all at the R/H fiddle yard 'Up' entrance.

Its all tedious and slow progress but its getting there. Will post some pic's tomorrow.

Hi all,

Sorry not much to show, so no pic's at present.

Got 3 points made and prepared the fiddleyard boards with cork ready for tracklaying, however having taken most things apart to do this it did not leave much to photo. However progress is being made and have ordered more SMP 'J' track, Code 75 rail and copperclad sleepers in readiness for the coming week and the holidays when I will get a fair bit done.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Another quick update. No pictures as there is not much really to see that is different.

Spent the weekend wiring up the spirals at both ends followed by further track building at the R/H fiddle yard.

I now have a single full track through the fiddle yard on the 'Up' side and only have the first single line of plain track to lay on the 'Down' side between the end boards before commencing on the layout proper. Again I intend to assemble the main line C&L pointwork 'in-situ' then progress the SMP through the formation. I will have something running around Christmas!

• Like 1

Hi Mike, I keep popping in for a look and read, I really can't get my head around the Helix idea, but don't worry, that's just me.

If it works for you and your layout well that's all that matters at the end of the day.

I am looking forward to the start of the scenics.

Great stuff. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Bodgit :sungum:

Hi Mike, I keep popping in for a look and read, I really can't get my head around the Helix idea, but don't worry, that's just me.

If it works for you and your layout well that's all that matters at the end of the day.

I am looking forward to the start of the scenics.

Great stuff. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Bodgit :sungum:

Hi Andy,

As soon as I get a circuit running I'll post a video of the inaugural train to show the whole scenario - be prepared though - I think it will take about 3 minutes to climb one spiral then a couple of minutes to pass through the station area followed by a further 3 minute descent before parking back in the fiddle yard. It will be like real trainspotting all over again!!!!!

• Like 3

Hi all,

Done a quick hour and a half tonight preparing the 'Down' fiddleyard link by applying some copperclad strips over the baseboard joints and have made up two temporary wiring kits to operate the spirals from top to bottom just for test purposes - and yes they work. At a reasonable and careful speed it takes just on two minutes to climb from entrance to exit. The spirals are actually wired into three separate sections with each level hard wired to prevent voltage drop.

The whole layout may be considered a 'roundy-roundy' but on average it will take about 10 minutes between trains passing through the station and that's covering several scale miles in doing so.

Another job will take priority over the next week and that is the fitting of a wood burning stove, the chimney system arrived today and the stove is due Wednesday. Can't wait to get rid of these electric £20 note burners. :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

• Like 2