Molinnis - Present Day Cornwall in N

Revolution Ben

• 2 weeks later...

Following prototype practice?

At the Warrington show this weekend (excellent show by the way) - there was a spate of multiple unit failures:

• Class 150 - never got going - looks like gear train problems
  • Class 220 - coupler issues (guess who forgot to take along spare pack of couplers!)
  • Class 153 - didn't want to go around any curves
  • Class 156 (hired in from big brother railways) lasted only a few trips.

This meant that passengers had to put up with a strange visitor - not sure how they managed to get the 3rd rail down...

The main loco fleet was fine - any thoughts on why multiple units should suffer more or is it just me?

More pictures to follow...

Following prototype practice?

At the Warrington show this weekend (excellent show by the way) - there was a spate of multiple unit failures:

• Class 150 - never got going - looks like gear train problems
  • Class 220 - coupler issues (guess who forgot to take along spare pack of couplers!)
  • Class 153 - didn't want to go around any curves
  • Class 156 (hired in from big brother railways) lasted only a few trips.

This meant that passengers had to put up with a strange visitor - not sure how they managed to get the 3rd rail down...

The main loco fleet was fine - any thoughts on why multiple units should suffer more or is it just me?

More pictures to follow...

post-15737-0-39440800-1413835472_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Were the lights working on the DMUs?

The springs that carry power from the bogies to the main chassis on Dapol's class 156 and 153's aren't the best invention and are responsible for most of my problems with those two classes. Pull the bogies off and stretch them a little.

The biggest problem with the Farish DMUs (101, 108 and 150) are the sprung contacts from the PCB to the motor loosing contact with the motors connectors.

Both problems could be caused by vibration whilst being transported to an exhibition.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

• 1 month later...

2 x new Farish polybulks have arrived.

Excellent models, but at a price!!!. The unusual body shape and many separate hand wheels along each side no doubt contributing to the cost.

To model the original Cornwall - Switzerland service with 22 wagons is around £900!!!!. You could buy several pendalinos for that. Will stick to wagonload traffic.

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nick,

Could you even fit 22 wagons on Molinnis??   As you know, with Horseley Fields we tend to compress some of our trains a little (though we may not need to now we have our extension!) so you could perhaps "represent" the Switzerland train with, say, a "budget" 11 wagon train!

cheers

Ben A.

Ben / Paul

Although the Swiss traffic was the main use of the polybulk wagons for china clay, they were also used for various UK flows. John Vaughan's book An illustrated history of west country china clay trains shows 3-4 wagons being used as part of a wagonload service. They were also used in Cornwall for calcified seaweed ( picture of a single wagon in picture 215 of the book).

As they are no longer in use at the time my layout is set, rule 1 applies, china clay or seaweed; I haven't decided yet.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nick,

Yes, they can certainly be used in smaller numbers.  I got the impression you had your heart set on a long train of them!

Though if you shop around I reckon you could get that £900 nearer to £750....!

Still enough for plenty of Pendolinos!!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

From my visits to Cornwall in the late 80s/early 90s. it was common to see two or three Polybulks in the afternoon Speedlink and associated trip workings to/from St Blazey, mixed up with Tiger 55s, PAAs and assorted vans and tanks. No need for a full block train of the things if you don't want to shell out £££s.

They weren't just used for the block train to Switzerland; there was another smaller wagonload flow to Mossend in Scotland.  In later years they also turned up on the Cliffe Vale flow mixed in with Tiger 55s until the newer Imeris hoppers replaced both types.

Thanks Simon

One question that has bothered me about the pictures in John Vaughan's book is the picture of the train at Clapham junction. The train is on the down main line - but how did it get there? Having lived in that part of the world, there hasn't been a connection between the Victoria lines to the Waterloo lines for some time - or am I mistaken?

Nick

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Simon

One question that has bothered me about the pictures in John Vaughan's book is the picture of the train at Clapham junction. The train is on the down main line - but how did it get there? Having lived in that part of the world, there hasn't been a connection between the Victoria lines to the Waterloo lines for some time - or am I mistaken?

Nick

I don't know the picture in question, but I suspect it crossed over via a combination of Longhedge, Pouparts and Ludgate GW junctions (ducking under the main Waterloo lines near Latchmere Road, having traversed the South London Line (diverging at Factory Junction).

Thanks Claude

Going back 40+ years to trainspotting days at Clapham Junction, freight trains were few and far between. Those I remember generally either ran via Ludgate Junction and the Windsor lines or via Pouparts Junc and the Victoria lines.

I think that a connection at Pouparts Junc is the most likely answer.

Regards

Nick

• 3 weeks later...