RMweb

Blackgill: Tyne Dock to Consett in P4

Arpster

Looking forward to seeing it immensely - along with many others I'm sure.

Hope your dad doesn't overcommit - better to have fewer upgrades and additions that allow you to rest a bit and enjoy the exhibition than to have more but leaving you totally exhausted.

• 2 weeks later...

Those of you who are Scalefour Society members will have received the exhibition guide for Scaleforum 2013 through the post over the weekend. Blackgill has the honour of having been given pride of place on the front cover and they've done a really good job with it!

post-1044-0-86037600-1378113724_thumb.jpg

I'm told that a PDF version of the guide will be available on the Scalefour Society website soon too.

The excitement (and trepidation) is building now!

Arp

• Like 6

I'm told that a PDF version of the guide will be available on the Scalefour Society website soon too.

The excitement (and trepidation) is building now!

It's available now :-)

Free to download for both members and non-members of the Scalefour Society. 

http://www.scalefour.org/shows/scaleforumguide2013.pdf

I hope to see many RMWebbers at Scaleforum at the end of September.  Do come over and say hello on the Society Stand.

Cheers

Paul Willis

Scalefour Society Marketing Manager

Good to meet your dad again after a long time, at Blyth show the other week, I have been looking at the photos Blackgill on here, It is superb...Give him my best wishes, and you keep the pictures coming....Owen Lancaster....

I should think Eddie's insperation for the station building came from Staddlethorpe Junction, Hull Selby Line, and now called Gylberdyke.

Dunno about that...    :smile_mini2:

Beamish Station: Consett-Tyne Dock Line (Stanhope and Tyne Railway). From an old postcard.

Most stations between Leadgate and Pelaw were of a similar style.

post-508-0-69573900-1378647816_thumb.jpg

Porcy

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 3

Hello all,

Glad you enjoyed the MRJ article! As mentioned somewhere in there, the station on Blackgill is based on Shield Row (or West Stanley, as it was also called) on the Annfield Plain Deviation. But most of the stations on the line were of a similar design.

All the best,

Arp

p.s. I think the little wooden waiting shelter was based on the one at Hessle.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Blackgill made it to Aylesbury in one piece and so did its operators. After a night exploring the local cultural highlights we're now all looking forward to a restorative full English and then we'll be off to spend the day playing trains. If you're attending Scaleforum this weekend, please come and say hello!

I'll post some photos this evening.

Arp

• Like 3

Well, Blackgill made it to Aylesbury in one piece and so did its operators. After a night exploring the local cultural highlights we're now all looking forward to a restorative full English and then we'll be off to spend the day playing trains. If you're attending Scaleforum this weekend, please come and say hello!

I'll post some photos this evening.

Arp

Good luck, I will look forward to seeing them......Owen Lancaster....

Well, that was the Scaleforum that was! Thank you to all that came to see it and chat to us. I hope you enjoyed seeing Blackgill in the flesh. The layout survived the 250-mile journey reasonably well, thankfully. The scenic section worked pretty seamlessly (barring a bit of a dropped rail joint on one of the board transitions, but as many of you watching will have noticed, we really struggled with derailments at one fiddle yard exit and a bizarre electrical problem at the other that meant we had to haul trains unceremoniously off the scenic section by hand some of the time!

These kinds of problems are typical though, as we'd spent months ironing out all of the niggles in the safety of the loft only to find that in a strange environment and a different climate, things didn't behave as planned. I hope we had enough success in keeping things running that people were entertained and enjoyed their time at the layout. The schedule was admittedly a little bit slower than hoped at times. I had a lot of fun shunting though, which seemed to work reasonably seamlessly! It was the first time that some of the operators had really run it in anger, so there was a bit of a steep learning curve and a bit of swearing and self-flagellation required at times!

I hope we managed to chat to everyone who wanted to chat in between keeping the show on the road. I'm sorry I wasn't able to answer your tractor question at the time, Vonkey, but I am sure that Jonathan is correct. I can double check though. It originally came from Reivers Road, the layout that Doug Carr, one of the operators this weekend, built ten years or so ago.

As for the MRJ article, I did send a track plan to the editor and there is a lot of text about construction of the layout, operation, buildings, points and signals etc that wasn't used in the first part, so hopefully there'll be a Part 2 appearing soon!

There are some great photos of the weekend over on the Scaleforum 2013 thread in the Exhibitions section (including some really excellent ones of Blackgill) if anyone would like to have a look at them.

All the best,

Arp

• Like 8

Gosh, amazing. Absolutely amazing!

The layout looks superb and the photography is of excellent quality - especially as this was presumably done under exhibition conditions.

Now where did I put that S4 Society application form?!

Colin

I was disappointed not to make it to Scaleforum this year but will certainly look forward to seeing Blackgill at Railex NE next year. As someone who lives just 5 minutes away from the 'real' location of the model, it captures the feel of the area perfectly...

John

Edited by johndon