Blackgill: Tyne Dock to Consett in P4

Arpster

I've just found this absolutely tremendous photo of Blackgill on Flickr. Thanks to Simon Edmunds for putting it online: https://www.flickr.com/photos/simage61/17029495350/

I hope that those of you who made it to Scalefour North at the weekend enjoyed watching Blackgill. It worked pretty smoothly 85% of the time, and we're finally getting the hang of the timetable at last!

All the best,

Arp

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Hello lads,

Let me start by saying how much I am enjoying this layout, I keep coming back to it ever so often reading it from the first post to the last. I love the craftsmanship and atmosphere of this layout.

Looking at the post on the previous page showing the end profile I am very curious what the single line on the back (right on the picture) of the layout is. I don't see this on the trackplan so I am wondering what the purpose of this line is. Is it a MI5 secret line to transport the queen and government to safety in time of crises or is it simple a way of running a train from one fiddle yard to the other without crossing the scenic section? :scratchhead:

attachicon.gifPlan.png
The plan of the layout, made in Powerpoint from a scale drawing my dad did!

Hello lads,

Let me start by saying how much I am enjoying this layout, I keep coming back to it ever so often reading it from the first post to the last. I love the craftsmanship and atmosphere of this layout.

Looking at the post on the previous page showing the end profile I am very curious what the single line on the back (right on the picture) of the layout is. I don't see this on the trackplan so I am wondering what the purpose of this line is. Is it a MI5 secret line to transport the queen and government to safety in time of crises or is it simple a way of running a train from one fiddle yard to the other without crossing the scenic section? :scratchhead:

Hi Ed, you should see it in the flesh, talk about atmosphere....

I know Eddy and his 'boy' have their hands full keeping the operating team in check but they're all good lads really.

Dave Franks.

Is it a MI5 secret line to transport the queen and government to safety in time of crises or is it simple a way of running a train from one fiddle yard to the other without crossing the scenic section? :scratchhead:

I know Arp will not mind me answering this as he hasn't been about for a bit.

I thought the Blackgill back passage was well known and much discussed due to it being often entered. Your basically correct with your reasoning outlined above.

Most train loads, coal, iron ore, 22t  plate etc. are removable so they can run empty or full dependant on direction of travel as prototypical for the Consett-Tyne dock line west of South Pelaw.

A loaded bogie bolster train with permanently fixed load and an empty bogie bolster/plate rake change fiddle yards using the back passage (which includes a passing loop) to avoid loaded and empty steel trains being seen running in the wrong direction. Two coal trains also run up the rear for positioning moves during the operating sequence.

The back passage used to suffer regular blockages but with more experience and Eddy's maintenance programme thing runs far smoother.

I know Eddy and his 'boy' have their hands full keeping the operating team in check but they're all good lads really.

Careful... or the team might just pay you a visit in two exhibitions time. That would lower the tone of your area.  (As well have a detrimental effect on property prices).

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2

Those are incredible photos, and some of the only ones I've seen of the little branch up to Glebe Colliery and the 'F' Pit. I went to primary school just behind where the photographer is standing in the second photo and you would never know there was ever a railway there. There used to be a colour photo somewhere on Fotopic before its demise of a Q6 trundling over that crossing, guarded by a chap with a red flag. I'm damned if I can find it now though. And the stories I've heard from my mam about being made late for school by having to wait for a coal train to pass...

Found this on the Hard Disk whilst having a clear out.

post-508-0-29856000-1438342669_thumb.jpg

I've no idea of it's origin so will remove it if anybody objects.

and the current view for those who don't know the area. The overhead power supply poles are still there. Somehow the place looked far more vibrant in the above image.

<iframe src="https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!1m0!3m2!1sen!2suk!4v1438342994357!6m8!1m7!1s0cgZu1Mc9zcck9KjgAMn2w!2m2!1d54.894471!2d-1.508591!3f37.62659380522844!4f-3.1062298297374866!5f0.7820865974627469" width="600" height="450" frameborder="0" style="border:0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 4

The back passage used to suffer regular blockages but with more experience and Eddy's maintenance programme thing runs far smoother.

Ooh, Er, Mrs.

I hear castor oil works wonders!

Careful... or the team might just pay you a visit in two exhibitions time. That would lower the tone of your area.  (As well have a detrimental effect on property prices).

P

Oh Dear, it seems I've had to cancel the booking....

Dave Franks

Ooh, Er, Mrs.

I hear castor oil works wonders!

I was trying to work that legendary product of Tyneside, "Andrews Liver Salts" into the missive. I even tried to include a reference to Liquid paraffin being part of Eddy's maintenance programme but knew someone would mention laxative somewhere along the line.

To quote a lyric from another North East legend  (amongst many others), Mr Bumble Bee Sumner, "It had to be you".

P

Which line was that street crossing on?

Washington F & Glebe Colliery's to Washington Station.

Clicking on the return arrow in the quote box would have taken you directly to these images in this post.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/6450-blackgill-tyne-dock-to-consett-in-p4/page-5&do=findComment&comment=934596

Clicking the google link takes you to the current street view.

For some reason embedding street view images doesn't work for me.

Same line:

4033713403_b0d7435478_z.jpgTyne Dock Railway by Sunderland Public Libraries, on Flickr

4367288801_b11fc85233_z.jpgColumbia - railway line 3 by Sunderland Public Libraries, on Flickr

4367288731_a4ecb42d13_z.jpgColumbia - railway line 2 by Sunderland Public Libraries, on Flickr

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 9

Nice view from the footbridge that crossed the Consett-Tyne Dock line showing what the rear of the buildings at the un-gated crossing looked like. The colliery branch curves right to left across the photo behind the sleeper stockade fence.

4368034428_0a50ff0726_z.jpgColumbia 13 by Sunderland Public Libraries, on Flickr

P

• Like 2

Street lighting over a Railway line , never seen that before !!

Quite common in the NE on NCB lines where coupling/uncoupling and raking the load level took place.

p

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Hello all,

Long time no post! The Blackgill Gang were assembled last night for an education and practise session in advance of the Newcastle MRS exhibition in a couple of weeks: http://www.newcastlemodelrailway.org.uk/exhibition

A few niggles were ironed-out and a few new problems identified but generally things ran well and we're all slowly getting the hang of Blackgill's foibles and idiosyncrasies (of which there are many!). Even Porcy managed to work out how to shunt the pick-up goods and how to get a coal train into the colliery sidings! Hopefully the old girl (she's nearly 20!) will perform well at Newcastle show and hopefully some of you will be there to see it.

All the best,

Arp

Whey hey. Never been called an old girl before but thanks for getting my age right.

Bye way of a thank you let me offer you this advice. "Never talk to strange men on Trains".

post-508-0-81717100-1446641971.jpg

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

Maybe you'll be able to spend a bit more time around the back than at the front this time, John? ;)

Arp

Oh err missus...

Porcy did invite me on the Saturday but I'm already booked to babysit but I'll be there on the Sunday so if your dad is feeling brave enough I'd be delighted to have a go.

John