RMweb

Blackgill: Tyne Dock to Consett in P4

Arpster

Interesting how brown the iron ore wagons are in that video rather than the red brown that is more typical in photographs.  I've also never seen the branding on the doors be quite as clear, normally the wagons are so filthy there is no sign of branding or numbers...

John

• RMweb Gold

Jon,

if you check out pictures taken during the initial change over period, the four class 25's, the 24/1 and 24's that were converted during 1966 only had the air pipes at the number one end. Early diesel operations always had the number two end leading with the locos still being turned at Tyne Dock just like the 9Fs.

P

The 24 in Tony Lambert's shot also has a boiler water tank. Perhaps it is an ordinary NE allocated 24/1 rather than one of the Consett locos?

The 24 in Tony Lambert's shot also has a boiler water tank. Perhaps it is an ordinary NE allocated 24/1 rather than one of the Consett locos?

The boiler tanks weren't removed from some of the 24s when first converted. Removal came later.

P

What do you reckon? Black livery or the later ice blue?

It's got me scratching my head now as to when the Pulverite works lost its rail connection. I was told Davy Roll used Pulverite. That'll do nicely for confirmation.

I suppose I should get on building the wagons.

P

Poursee

It doesn't look black to me (unlike the factory behind)...but it doesn't look ice blue either...how old were these wagons by 1967...could it be very weathered and faded after 10 years on the road?

• RMweb Gold

The boiler tanks weren't removed from some of the 24s when first converted. Removal came later.

P

Are we talking about the period from July 1966 or earlier? This October 1966 shot of a Consett 24 has the air pipe fitted at the same end (no.2) as the Tony Lambert photo, and with boiler tank removed.

Wonder if they were kept filled for ballast? Helpful for braking I'd have thought.

The Nim.

Probably not thought neccessary as the loaded journey was uphill, only empties downhill.

Possibly. Although the conversion of diesels was planned the condition of the 9Fs at the time seems to have brought the work forward. It was reported in the contemporary railway press of the time that the 9F train engines were having to stop up to three times between South Pelaw & Medomsley for a blow up although they were OK for banking.

They had a bit of an easy time during the Seamans strike of 1966 when Iron Ore to Consett was brought from Middlesborough in 21 ton hoppers using EE type 3s but after the strike ended the 9F's in conjunction with two Class 25's worked continuously to clear the stock pile that had built up at Tyne Dock.

D5112 was one of the first 24/1's to be fitted with equipment to operate the hopper doors retaining it's water tank at the time, the apparatus being removed later, once the main batch of 24s D5102-D5111 had finally been selected.

I suspect the Loco in Mr Lamberts photograph is D5112 as the front end scrapes and marks match a phot I have of the same loco taken in Sept 1966.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

Are we talking about the period from July 1966 or earlier? This October 1966 shot of a Consett 24 has the air pipe fitted at the same end (no.2) as the Tony Lambert photo, and with boiler tank removed.

As I said' the initial conversions had pipe connections at just the No1 end. The pipework on the initial six locos converted was visually quite different to that in the photograph you linked to. The pipework on the first six conversions was led out through the bottom two retaining clips for the end access doors.

As of July 1966, six Sulzer twos had been converted with another four being reported in Crewe works for conversion. The first six (Four class 25' and two 24/1's) converted to operate the hopper doors all had their pipes at one end only. These six later had the equipment removed not being part of the batch that received the permanent alterations.

Probably not thought neccessary as the loaded journey was uphill, only empties downhill.

Despite being fully fitted, braking the 56 ton hoppers down the banks wasn't an easy job. According to railwaymen this was due to the wheels wearing (and brakes) much quicker on one side that the other. This led to the wheels being turned in batches during slacker holiday periods at Shildon. Hello Mr Robinson  (The Wheel Turner) I know you'll be looking in to keep me right.

P

If you want to see a video of the iron ore hopper doors in operation (and have a ride in the brakevan of a train up from Tyne Dock to Consett) then it's worth watching the 1967 film 'Consett Steel' on the BFI Player (footage of the trains from about 9 minutes onwards):

http://player.bfi.org.uk/film/watch-consett-steel-1967/

Good old Turners. They turned out a good film but sometimes I wish the commentator would take all that cotton wool out of his mouth.  Looks like they edited in quite a lot of footage from their 1960 film on the building of the plate mill. The film also makes for a good comparison with Tom Stobarts anti nationalisation film.

Thirteen years later it was all finished...

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

D5100/01 were Holbeck engines not Tyne Dock locos I thought?

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the info on the early days Porcy. It should probably be in Johndon's thread. I agree about the 24 probably being D5112, I hadn't realised this one had ever been converted as it bore no obvious outward signs later on.

D5100/01 were Holbeck engines not Tyne Dock locos I thought?

Good job you didn't place a wager on it.

Thanks for clearing your debts at the Show le Plaid. Your slate is now wiped clean and I have a considerable supply of wagon ballast.

Till the next time.*

P

*Pesetas not accepted in lieu of Sterling.

(with the rusting line on the left being known, intriguingly, as the 'Tavern Siding')

After the pub called the... "Railway Tavern", he said knowledgeably. Actually, after checking the 1873 OS map of Washington Old Station. :wink_mini:

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

Excellent video of the high octane action that can be found on Blackgill. You need to put some kind of funky soundtrack on it, Porce. I'm sure you could come up with something from your extensive record collection. And what do you mean about "the operators battling with each other"?! Surely it would be "the soothing tones of a model railway being run calmly and efficiently"?

When do we get to see the video you took of the ore train looking down from the bridge at the other end?

Arp

p.s. I've been informed by the gaffer that the porter's name isn't Stan, it's Percy. It's important that we get these details right.

• Like 3

Excellent video of the high octane action that can be found on Blackgill. You need to put some kind of funky soundtrack on it, Porce. I'm sure you could come up with something from your extensive record collection. And what do you mean about "the operators battling with each other"?! Surely it would be "the soothing tones of a model railway being run calmly and efficiently"?

When do we get to see the video you took of the ore train looking down from the bridge at the other end?

Arp

p.s. I've been informed by the gaffer that the porter's name isn't Stan, it's Percy. It's important that we get these details right.

Something by The Animals or Lindisfarne ?

• Like 1

You need to put some kind of funky soundtrack on it, Porce. I'm sure you could come up with something from your extensive record collection. 

Funky? For the next soundtrack I'm getting the old band back together, so it's time to dig out the old Ukulele and oil up the bongo skins!

So here's the second attempt. Still crap at putting together a video. Things happen and I've no idea why, e.g. the borders vary but I'll sort it...  one day.

I'll apologise for getting his name wrong next time I meet him. I may have him a present.

P

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Funky? For the next soundtrack I'm getting the old band back together, so it's time to dig out the old Ukulele and oil up the bongo skins!

So here's the second attempt. Still crap at putting together a video. Things happen and I've no idea why, e.g. the borders vary but I'll sort it...  one

I'll apologise for getting his name wrong next time I meet him. I may have him a present.

P

You're getting good at this Mr Spielberg , I like the stop motion austerity tank at the same time as a moving train.

Mike.

You're getting good at this Mr Spielberg , I like the stop motion austerity tank at the same time as a moving train.

:blush_mini: 

Wait till you see the Blue Circle Cement Leyland Comet Rattling the planks at the level crossing.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

Ah, now that's much better, Porcy! As long as you don't tell anyone that it took 14 takes to get that video of the ore train then they'll all think you're a natural.

And John: that's a great photo! My dad doesn't need any encouragement to build another rake of 56t hoppers. He's already threatening to buy a rake of Dave Alexander's and build them before Warley in November!

Arp

• Like 2