Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Howes DCC sound for Bachmann Midland Blue Pullman

Cliff Williams

Here is one of the first Bachmann Midland Blue Pullmans fitted with the newly released Howes of Oxford DCC sound.

In fitting the customer's set with the sound we quickly realised that the intended speaker position is not ideal for reproduction and we have gone with a bass reflex speaker fitted in the guards compartment of each power car. In order to fit one of the bulkheads will need removal, but it can be used as an alternative method to disguise the presence of the large speaker from the passenger compartment.

post-3421-0-23220900-1353370732_thumb.jpg

http://youtu.be/4YmYQXfPiMw

As there is very little authentic sound of the Blue Pullman on record, this project has been carefully created based on what can be regarded as the genuine, not dubbed recordings. The horns are produced to replicate the pitch and sound of the prototype, the F10 horn being a tribute to the double one heard on old archive footage.

As this train ran primarily ran between London and Manchester the station announcements have been created using the correct departure timings for those stations, noting in the interest of authenticity, that in those days there was no such thing as a 24 clock announcement!!.

The decoders are supplied as forward (Car A)driving and rear (Car F) trailing. The horn sounds have been made directional so they are only played from the lead power car. Pressing F2 and 3 at the same time plays both tones together, this practice was apparently used as by the driver as an emergency warning, pressing F2 and 3 together again stops the two horns.

F19 is a 4 step volume control and mute, by repeated pressing of the function button the operator can set the level they wish, F21 is a fade up/down control which is set at 25% on fade down, useful for entering or leaving the display area of a layout, the minimum level can be changed by the operator by altering the value of CV133, values are 0 min 128 max, the default is set at 32 (25%).

and here are the functions.....

F0 Head, Tail and interior lights on/off

F1 Sound on off

F2 Double Horn playable in direction of travel

F3 Double Horn playable in direction of travel

F4 Single Horn playable in direction of travel

F5 Carriage door slam

F6 Guards whistle

F7 Guard driver buzzer

F8 Table lights (Aux 1)

F9 Cab lights (Aux 2)

F10 Low high low high horn in direction of travel

F11 Station announcement at Manchester

F12 Station announcement at St Pancras

F13 Flange squeal

F14 Wheel / sleeper groan

F15 Accel Decel override

F16 Shunt mode - Half speed

F17 Diesel Notch up

F18 Diesel Notch down

F19 Volume control Mute to Max in 4 steps

F20 Disable Brake sound

F21 Sound fade up down

With thanks to Bryan Robertson, Howes and Big Jim who will be along soon with his video too!

• RMweb Gold

Thats the first time ive heard the howes blue pullman, bryans set is sat here on my dining room table ready to get a video on thursday evening at 250bobs house, with any luck we'll try and get a chase video done

I was laughing with bryan about how he put his best poshest accent on to do the station announcment (his wife did the other one), i dont think the announcment would have had the same effect with bryans normal west country accent

"Alroight luvver, the train on platform 1 dont stop manchester on wednesday"

I was laughing with bryan about how he put his best poshest accent on to do the station announcment (his wife did the other one)

ROFL, is that really how you did it, I was wondering where those recordings came from?! You had me fooled anyway. Well done, nice bit of lateral thinking guys, sometimes needs must :-)

If I heard correctly the station announcement of the departure from Manchester (Central) to London (St. Pancras) was from Platform 2

This is incorrect as it always departed from and arrived at the same platform at Manchester Central, Platform 6

• RMweb Gold

If I heard correctly the station announcement of the departure from Manchester (Central) to London (St. Pancras) was from Platform 2

This is incorrect as it always departed from and arrived at the same platform at Manchester Central, Platform 6

i will let bryan know tomorrow!

all useful info

• RMweb Gold

from bryan.....

Thanks for that info Ron, I chose a low platform number without doing any research, I may even be wrong about the St Pancras platform too, maybe someone can throw some light on that.

Lets just say that for the ones I have done already that there was a platform alteration!!. I worked at Paddington and saw WR ones on 5 and 6 regularly so if/when the WR one is forthcoming the Mrs can do the Paddington one correctly, and for you Jeff, I will do the Bristol departure with my Devon accent so twill be more realistic like. then of course there is the mid day Oxford Pullman departure and the Nottinghanm one from St Pancras too .

I knew when I did the announcements they might provoke a response. constructive comments or otherwise are always welcome. If anyone orders a BP decoder/pair through Howes and fancies doing an announcement of their own for it, record it as a wav file or MP3 and pm it to me via Jim I will gladly edit it, add the echo etc and program it on their decoders.

Personally I cant stand hearing my own voice on playback but with the reverb echo added it becomes bareable!!. I said that about the wifes announcement, Thats when the fight started!!,

The announcements were done because the BP only ran certain routes at certain times so it was easy to be specific thus making them more authentic. Any info re the platforms regularly used at Nottingham and Bristol will be welcome for future reference.

Bryan

from bryan.....

Thanks for that info Ron, I chose a low platform number without doing any research, I may even be wrong about the St Pancras platform too, maybe someone can throw some light on that.

Hi, Bryan

From examination of a number of published photographs of the BP at St. Pancras, it would appear that the BP normally arrived and departed from Platform 2. Exceptions were a number of trial and press runs

Ron

• RMweb Gold

Would it be possible to ask him if he could put a pair aside for me to collect and pay for saturday please.

Best wishes

Colin

Ill be speaking to him again later but it may be best to speak to howes and ask them what they can do

• RMweb Gold

right, video No1 from me, hopefully i can get the chase video edited later today and add it to youtube, this video was shot and edited entirely on my iphone

the chase video was done on a camcorder so needs editing on the computer

• RMweb Gold

Within the confines of a 4mm scale model, using miniature technology, and filmed & recorded ditto, I would regard that as a success. The prime mover sounds are very reminiscent of those in the shed at Derby on the BTF film.

I am not a customer for the BP - wrong era, wrong locale - but for those who like sound in small-scale models (I have 30+ HO sound locos) this is a great enhancement for the excellent Bachmann product, surely.

• RMweb Gold

Picked mine up at warly yesterday and fitted it last night. Absolutely brilliant sound. Would recommend it to anyone considering it.

Best wishes

Colin

Hi Colin.

Glad you like the BP, just one mod that I had to make after the first couple of decoder sets had gone out, the brake noise start threshold was starting too late so the sound continued on a fraction after the train stopped. to rectify this change CV64 to value 30.

Bryan

Thanks for the information Bryan. I need to ring Howes tomorrow as power car A suddenly stopped working . I tryed the original chip in it on its own and it still works i thought it was a motor failure but it seems the chip has failed. I tryed the chip in a spare chassis but had no response either. It was odd as it showed no sign of a short and the chip was not hot. The unit was coupled in the correct order as i had been running the unit before hand and just uncoupled the power cars to install the chips and had only had around an hours running all together. I have installed a few howes chips in locos but havent had a problem before. Does anyone have any idea what has happened?

Best wishes

Colin

• RMweb Gold

Colin.

Try a Cv 8 reset on the decoder this will reset all CVs to my default including address 3 if it does not respond it may well need to be returned cant offer any more than that, mine was on the test layout today at Warley for 3 hours, apart from on end cars lights not working which I will look at shortly, the train ran superbly. NB dont forget you cant program both decoders at the same time..

Bryan

Archived