LNER B15 (NER Class S2) 4-6-0 -

mikemeg

The cab side detailing, on the inside, has now been completed with the window slides (for the sliding windows) being assembled on both sides. So now I'm all ready to start the initial body assembly.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-89786700-1353844676.jpg

So now I can begin the assembly process. The two sides are soldered to the footplate assembly, after securely locating all tabs. The cab front has been assembled and is then fitted to the cab sides and the smokebox saddle is just located between the front frames.

So far, so good but, perhaps, a few more challenges to follow? And that's it for day three of this build; now to part off and dress some more components, ready for tomorrow; followed by a bottle of moderately good Shiraz!

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-95490000-1353855394.jpg

The splasher tops have now all been formed and fitted. These are quite large splashers so do need some care in their forming to ensure that they exactly conform, in radius, to the splasher upstands on the footplate and that these upstands are perpendicular to the footplate, otherwise there are unsightly gaps.

I did temporarily remove three of the cradle transverse supports to aid in getting to these splashers; these will now have to be replaced

Anyway all went well and they are all on. I've also folded and assembled the various boxes which form the cab interior and added the rib for the cab roof.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-98230900-1353942903.jpg

The boiler has now been rolled and is just placed on the smokebox saddle and against the cab front to check the sit. All looks level and ok, so now the firebox can be shaped and then the boiler tube soldered up.

Now this model begins to look like a locomotive.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-34168300-1353994103.jpg

The most active thread, by far within this area, is the ongoing debate on the future of kit building. This kit builder certainly sees a future for kit building, otherwise I wouldn't be doing these trial builds.

When the boiler is rolled, the firebox is obviously also rolled. This must then be unrolled to provide straight sides to the firebox and then the firebox sides must be splayed to the vertical, to sit just outside the upper frames, between the middle and rear sets of driving wheels. If there is a small gap, between the firebox sides and the middle and rear splashers, this will be covered by the etches for some further angle, which sits at the junction of the forebox, the footplate and the rear of the middle splashers and the rear splashers.

The firebox and boiler seem to sit well so I can now proceed to the boiler detailing. The front of the smokebox has been covered in a coat of primer just as a proving coat on the joints around the boiler and smokebox front.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-82669900-1354010405.jpg

I have a cunning plan (Mr Blackadder) for the motor and gearbox. I'm hoping to be able to drive this on the middle axle, with the motor mounted vertically, or near vertically within the firebox. One of the motor shafts will need to be removed to do this but this was successfully done on Arthur's Q5/2, so shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers

Mike

• RMweb Premium

There is a lot of space in that firebox. The must be quite a lot of variations. One solution is a Highflier gearbox on the rear axle with the motor horizontal in the boiler. That would need a removable boiler to drop the chassis down but it would work.

ArthurK

There are still one or two fettling jobs and quite a lot of detailing jobs still to do on this body before it is complete, though most should be done today. I couldn't resist just sitting the chimney and cab roof in position and then photographing the model.

Nothing seems to provide that characterisation of a locomotive's period and lineage more than the chimney and dome. Now this model begins to assume the chracteristics of North Eastern locomotive design in Edwardian times. Clean lines, everything balanced and just aesthetically right. We can't match that design beauty, now; we probably never will!

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-86970700-1354188844.jpg

... the firebox is obviously also rolled. This must then be unrolled ...

I'm intrigued by this concept of 'unrolling'. I understand the need, but I wonder if you would mind going into the workshop techniques a little further and are there any other methodologies that would give the same result.

Regards

I'm intrigued by this concept of 'unrolling'. I understand the need, but I wonder if you would mind going into the workshop techniques a little further and are there any other methodologies that would give the same result.

Regards

Something of a play on words in the original posting, however, the firebox sides have the same curve as the boiler after the rolling operation. So first the firebox sides are gradually straightened, up to the point where the firebox contours diverge from the boiler contours. I normally do this using a steel ruler on a hardwood block and just tease the curve out of these sides - unroll them.

Once the firebox sides are straightened then they can be splayed out so that they are both vertical and spaced appropriately so that they sit tight with the outside of the rear of the upper frames. On the photograph, there are gaps between the firebox and the splashers and footplate. These gaps will be covered by etches for the 2" angle which will sit tight against the footplate and splasher tops, covering those gaps. This angle will only be applied once the boiler assembly is soldered to the petals on the cab front and bolted up at its front end.

Hope this explains it. Bear in mind I am building this with almost no instructions so I do have to work out how best some of the operations can be done and how best some of the parts can be assembled. That said, this, as with all of Arthur's other kits, is just a joy to build.

Cheers

Mike

• RMweb Gold

i knew i shouldn't have had a look at this tread Every time i have look at one of Arthur kimber's kits it makes me want to go other to the dark side (NER)! and it seems to get worse each time! i wonder if the wife would notice if my locos all became apple green instead of ex LMS ones.

i knew i shouldn't have had a look at this tread Every time i have look at one of Arthur kimber's kits it makes me want to go other to the dark side (NER)! and it seems to get worse each time! i wonder if the wife would notice if my locos all became apple green instead of ex LMS ones.

What colour were NER locos? In pre-grouping days? I had it in my head they were blue?

Nice work Mike, as expected from yourself and Arthur.

Saxony Green. (well, passenger till the end, goods changed to black earlier.)

post-7104-0-59681000-1354221957.jpg

And isn't that just beautiful? Pretty as a picture in its saxony green with black and white lining. One can but imagine what a shed full of locos, all resplendent in this beautiful livery, must have looked like.

Cheers

Mike

And if you feel that then the other part of this job with Arthur is working. For these threads are, as much as anything, intended to tempt the unwary, the unprepared to take the plunge and build one (or hopefully more than one) of Arthur's kits and, like me, to become forever entranced and enchanted with the locomotives of the once great North Eastern Railway.

Though the locomotives of Gresley, Thompson and Peppercorn do have a certain fatal attraction too.

Cheers

Mike

And if you feel that then the other part of this job with Arthur is working. For these threads are, as much as anything, intended to tempt the unwary, the unprepared to take the plunge and build one (or hopefully more than one) of Arthur's kits and, like me, to become forever entranced and enchanted with the locomotives of the once great North Eastern Railway.

Cheers

Mike

Or any of the NER kits available from London Road Models and others too, I hope Mike.

Having designed the NER G1 for LRM I have to have one for London Road. That means a rake of D&S NER carriages to go with it and also a LRM M class as a "spare" for exhibitions.

Although the LNWR is my main interest, the attraction of a couple of delightful green 4-4-0s was too much.

Jol

• RMweb Premium

Or any of the NER kits available from London Road Models and others too, I hope Mike.

Having designed the NER G1 for LRM I have to have one for London Road. That means a rake of D&S NER carriages to go with it and also a LRM M class as a "spare" for exhibitions.

Although the LNWR is my main interest, the attraction of a couple of delightful green 4-4-0s was too much.

Jol

Point taken Jol. I am well aware of the NER offerings of London Road Models both your own contributions and those from the ex George Norton and Banfield. ranges. My policy is to avoid duplicating locos which are already available from others or which were once available but are no longer produced. However others are in fact duplicating some of those that I have produced albeit in cast form.

I would, for example, love to do the J21 but that is aleady in the LRM range and it is also as a cast kit so I won't. Also the Q6, I have already done one of those purely as a exercise and development of my Q5 but it is unlikely to see general release as there are aready two (cast and etched) on the market.

Meanwhile there are may other NER locos which have not appeared in kit form so there I have plenty more to think about.

Perhaps there should be a catalogue of all the NER locos available from all suppliers.

ArthuK.

Meanwhile there are may other NER locos which have not appeared in kit form so there I have plenty more to think about.

Perhaps there should be a catalogue of all the NER locos available from all suppliers.

ArthuK.

Hello Arthur,

perhaps that is something the NER Association could do.

The LNWR Society have already done something along those lines, to assist the modeller of the Premier Line. http://www.lnwrs.org...delling/4mm.php

Jol

Jol

Comes to many of us, eventually Jol, these ex-NER locos. I'm not sure what livery the B15 will be finished in; whatever livery these locos carried after the war in their final days.

And, of course, if this thread, or any of the other threads around building Arthur's kits prompt anyone to build any of the LRM ex-NER locos, then so much the better.

Regards

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Comes to many of us, eventually Jol, these ex-NER locos. I'm not sure what livery the B15 will be finished in; whatever livery these locos carried after the war in their final days.

Regards

Mike

In a word (or rather rtwol) - Dirty Black!

A world apart from their NER days when some wore black lined with red, white and gold! Later they were simply black lined red but the war saw an end to that.

ArthurK

In a word (or rather rtwol) - Dirty Black!

A world apart from their NER days when some wore black lined with red, white and gold! Later they were simply black lined red but the war saw an end to that.

ArthurK

Thanks Arthur. Were any of thes locos renumbered under the 1946 LNER renumbering scheme? If so, what numbers did they carry and if not what numbers were still extant at the end of the war?

Cheers

Mike

Archived