RMweb

Heljan LNER Tango 2-8-0

mardle

• RMweb Premium

Hello, 

An ignorant question if I may. I picked one of these up for my dad, but I know nothing about them, and have no literature on them. The loco I have acquired is 3965, which from what I can work out in this thread is an O2/3 - is that right? My dad models pre-war and my question is, did locos in this condition (side-window cab, step-sided tender) run pre-war? Or, to put it another way, can I renumber the loco using shaded numerals?

Thanks in advance! 

• RMweb Premium

Bit here

https://www.lner.info/locos/O/o2.php

Reading the text some where built during the war. A photo(s) would be a good idea re lettering.

Thanks, Mick. I'd found my way to the LNER encyclopaedia page but it just confused me: 

"In March 1939, the original eleven GNR O2s were rebuilt with lower cabs to fit the 13ft 0.5in loading gauge. Side windows were also fitted to the cabs. No. 3461 (the original O2) was classified as O2, whilst the remaining GNR locomotives were classified as O2/1 with the fitting of the side window cabs." 

I thought the lower cabs were still the GN pattern, and I thought the side-window cabs were O2/3. Were the 1932 and 1933 batches built with side-window cabs? 

• RMweb Premium

I actually found that I have RCTS 6A and it shows a loco in 1934 with side-window cab, stepped tender and, of course, shaded transfers. 

The ambiguous wording of the LNER encyclopaedia page does then in fact only refer to the original locos having their cabs rebuilt in 1939, rather than the whole class, and it seems that the 1932 and 1933 batches may have been built with the side-window cab. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

What do I think of it? As a representation of an O2 I can't comment as I don't know the class. As a model per se, I suppose it's fine. The motion support bracket seems all wrong, and the chimney possibly (?), and there are a few foibles that annoy me: the unpainted handrails and the plastic stanchions. I got mine secondhand for £55 but with a few broken stanchions and a weathering job that looked as if it had been done with a 1-inch brush. The tender brake gear is fiddly too - it had mostly come loose so I need to work out how to get it back in place. I've taken the loco to pieces to strip the weathering off and Graeme's post a page or so back makes me worry I might not get it back together again! 

What do you think of it, Mick? 

Thanks for the offer of Yeadon help but I think I'm sorted for a number - I'll just use the one in RCTS 6A shown in 1934. There's not much point trying to find a loco that could have operated in the north - it's not as if O2s were overly common through Goathland (the setting of my dad's layout).... 

What do I think of it? As a representation of an O2 I can't comment as I don't know the class. As a model per se, I suppose it's fine. The motion support bracket seems all wrong, and the chimney possibly (?), and there are a few foibles that annoy me: the unpainted handrails and the plastic stanchions. I got mine secondhand for £55 but with a few broken stanchions and a weathering job that looked as if it had been done with a 1-inch brush. The tender brake gear is fiddly too - it had mostly come loose so I need to work out how to get it back in place. I've taken the loco to pieces to strip the weathering off and Graeme's post a page or so back makes me worry I might not get it back together again! 

What do you think of it, Mick? 

Thanks for the offer of Yeadon help but I think I'm sorted for a number - I'll just use the one in RCTS 6A shown in 1934. There's not much point trying to find a loco that could have operated in the north - it's not as if O2s were overly common through Goathland (the setting of my dad's layout).... 

Only seen photos as not my area either. Doesn't sound too impressive to me either !!.

Yeadon list 3965 as a post war 1946 number on 3835 built in 1942 . Doesn't list Tenders attached.

it also states that the first 12 built with stepped out Tenders

2954 to 2961 and 2430 to 2433. 

2954 , 2955,  2956 have pictures in the book, all look in standard condition as per the model in Hattons photos.

• RMweb Premium

Only seen photos as not my area either. Doesn't sound too impressive to me either !!.

Yeadon list 3965 as a post war 1946 number on 3835 built in 1942 . Doesn't list Tenders attached.

it also states that the first 12 built with stepped out Tenders

2954 to 2961 and 2430 to 2433. 

2954 , 2955,  2956 have pictures in the book, all look in standard condition as per the model in Hattons photos.

Thanks, Mick. I've done it as 2959 as per 6A. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Can I take it that people are generally happy with the build and pulling quality of the Heljan O2?

Am not interested in one per se, but am interested in the upcoming 47xx.  Given the problems with the B-G it seems like the mechanical issues have in general not been repeated with the O2 as this thread has been pretty quiet by comparison.

Can I take it that people are generally happy with the build and pulling quality of the Heljan O2?...

If Bach or Hornby or any other OO maker currently working to similar standards produced a Gresley O2, Heljan wouldn't get a look in from me.

The build is where the problems are for me, all of design - over complex - some poor materials choices, fragility, and some outright crudity. (The loco to tender drawbar looks like a piece of sprue...) All that said, it measures and looks like an O2, is refined in some respects, and is a good canvas to which improvements can be made.

Running and pulling, it's a winner. Best traction of any RTR OO 2-8-0 thanks to a lot of weight, a trouble free performer on full size trains and has now accrued significant mileage on the layout. I run it more often than is realistic, modelling a location which at that date and time had the 9F and WD dominating the heavy freight traffic, and that's simly because any excuse will do to see this characterful beast in action.

The only fly in the ointment is where are the infinitely more desireable versions with the GNR pattern cabs and tenders? You likely feel the same about the 'where?' of the 47xx...

So long as you don't want the loco to negotiate the hairpin trainset bends for which the model has been awkwardly adapted, you can re-bend various parts of the odd looking motion bracket, improving the appearance and bringing the slidebars parallel with the centre line of the loco, as they should be, rather than sticking out as if the loco is trying to rudely elbow its way to the front of a crowd.

That still leaves you with the anomaly of the having the foot of each expansion link in the valve gear wrongly represented as an upward bend on the front of the eccentric rod, but you can even sort that out if you wish with a replacement set of correct expansion links from some left-over etched valve gear. I haven't bothered with that particular final correction on my model yet, but as the following picture will show, pending the promised appearance of the version (or versions) with GN cab, a tolerable substitute can be created by dressing up the current model with a replacement chimney, dome, cab and tender (all resin in this case) and possibly some laterally transferred features to give the loco a right-hand drive appearance. The running plate height over the coupled wheels remains about 1mm too high for the earlier version of the loco, but we won't dwell on that particular niggle.

This picture has certainly appeared elsewhwere, but not in this thread.

post-3445-0-69054100-1511206703_thumb.jpg

It's tempting to think that the other loco versions wouldn't be that hard for Heljan to produce fairly quickly, given that they have already released packs of plastic sprues featuring many of the necessary parts, but I'm sure there's more to the major model production game than most of us imagine. Maybe they'll re-visit the valve gear and motion bracket arrangements on a new version?

I've got no complaints about the smoothness of running and the pulling power of my example of this model which I think I've had for around eighteen months now. Something perhaps for potential buyers to be wary of are the extremely fine wheel flange dimensions which have exposed, by persistently derailing in certain places, the presence of uneven track on curves on one or two layouts

Edited by gr.king
  • Like 5

...Something perhaps for potential buyers to be wary of are the extremely fine wheel flange dimensions which have exposed, by persistently derailing in certain places, the presence of uneven track on curves on one or two layouts

Graeme is right to draw attention to this: but look at the photo he kindly provides, and the positive effect of the fine flange on the appearance of the very small pony truck wheel fitted to this class. Combined with the correct pattern of large boss etc. this is a refined aspect of the model which is part of why I like it very well, despite other reservations. (It has proved entirely trouble free in operation but isn't 'pushed' on my layout in that the minimum radius it has to operate on is 30", and smallest point a Peco electrofrog medium radius, and there are no humps and bumps or other irreguiarities.)

• 1 month later...

My pre-order with Hattons is in the second expected delivery. Can anyone suggest a suitable replacement chimney casting for a BR late O2/3?

Still looking forward to this, but a lot of fingers are crossed!!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Just acquired a O2/3 in this a case a  poorly version , it needs a decent LNER period Chimney, a B1 chimney has been mentioned, any good any other suggestions please ??.

Edited by micklner

• 3 weeks later...

The Heljan O2/3 this is simply the worse r.t.r for actual overall quality including design etc etc, I have owned for a number of years.

Chimney replaced with a Gibson B1 version , valve gear repaired (twice), numerous parts repaired glued back on and replaced as missing when bought secondhand. Resprayed ,numbering and weathered. Loco Number chosen because Yeadon mentions he saw her at Hull Sheds, near enough to the North east to justify me owning one.

post-7186-0-09465100-1517332576.jpeg

post-7186-0-64321200-1517332590.jpeg

post-7186-0-43043700-1517332600.jpg
  • Like 2

I must have been fortunate. The two I've got were perfect from the box.

Mine is a secondhand example, ok may have been abused before I bought it. Even then it is still a poorly made/designed model.  

David be very wary of the Valve Gear ,any pressure applied form the side will pop the rivets out very easily. Also check the sideplay on the front drivers, this ones slop/freeplay was ridicolous, I had to add two Peco fibre washers to each side to stop it hitting the valve gear.

• 4 weeks later...

Looking for parts for my early release LNER black O2 (Broke the NEM pocket on the tender) Howes had an LNER pre-owned one for sale for £65. I couldn't see a reason for why it was so cheap and took a punt on it. Not only is it absolutely mint but it runs better than mine too.......BUT......it has a broken tender NEM pocket too! I never did get a replacement for mine either LOL

• RMweb Premium

I used a Bachmann screw on pocket mount to replace the Heljan one, so it would take a Bachmann NEM pocket. Trouble is I took the Bachmann pocket mount from my own spares stash (probably salvaged from a wagon u/f repurposed in some way) and I don't think it is a piece that is sold separately.

Parkside (Peco) sell NEM mounts - PA34 Mounting Blocks for Bachmann 36-027 Mk2 Couplings, NEM Shaft (Cranked) with pocket (10).

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• 2 months later...

Hattons are now flogging these off for under half price at £89

How surprising given the lack of significant discounting until now. I am curious as to which models will sell out first.

Wouldn't want to be a retailer with unsold stock on the shelves.'