Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby Stanier coaches in "Blood and Custard"

Barry O

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I managed to have a good look at these in the flesh. The carmine looks fine as it "dulled" very quickly in use - probably a pigment problem as some reds aren't good with the sun and there appears to be a big difference in the actual colour of carmine used.

They are a lot better than the original maroon ones - you can see the lining!

cbeagleowner's quote from John 3:16 is EXACTLY what Christmas is all about.

Oh yes, I see... Can't argue with that, but you had me re-reading St. John's Gospel to find the bit where he expressed an opinion on Hornby and Bachmann paint jobs...

• 3 months later...

I thought I might resurrect this thread a little while on. For me the issue with these coaches is the cream. It might be the lighting I the loft but up there it just looks so must more custardy then the Bachmann offering o. The mark ones to the point of looking a bit out of place. It's the same with the Hornby Maroon too. I have two Hornby Maroon coaches. The Gresley looks too plum, the stanier too brown to my eye. Certainly different from the Bachmann maroon. Because I'm a bit of a pedant, I'm thinking that I might stick with the Bachmann portholes, 57 fts and mark 1's for the moment....just my choice. But hey ho.

I thought I might resurrect this thread a little while on. For me the issue with these coaches is the cream. It might be the lighting I the loft but up there it just looks so must more custardy then the Bachmann offering o. The mark ones to the point of looking a bit out of place. It's the same with the Hornby Maroon too. I have two Hornby Maroon coaches. The Gresley looks too plum, the stanier too brown to my eye. Certainly different from the Bachmann maroon. Because I'm a bit of a pedant, I'm thinking that I might stick with the Bachmann portholes, 57 fts and mark 1's for the moment....just my choice. But hey ho.

Rich,

I agree with you completely on the Hornby maroon staniers - I used to have a pair of 3rd's. The more I looked at them the quicker i got shot of them. MRJ did do a very good article on improving them which I can scan for you if you want. 

I'll be keen to see the port hole stock should be available soon. Hopefully maroon will follow!

• 2 weeks later...

I hope so. I'm looking forward to the portholes. Am I right that the Maroon on the gresley full brake was better? I've never seen one in the flesh. That gives me hope that perhaps one day we might get some nice maroon staniers too.

• RMweb Premium

I hope so. I'm looking forward to the portholes. Am I right that the Maroon on the gresley full brake was better? I've never seen one in the flesh. That gives me hope that perhaps one day we might get some nice maroon staniers too.

The maroon full brake certainly looks a better colour than the earlier Gresleys to me.

Does it match Bachy mk1's do you know please?

I have posted a few pictures for you.  I know some 'photographers' will complain about unequal lighting but it should give you a good idea.  I could have been cheeky and asked you which particular Bachmann Mk1 Maroon you were comparing with as there are huge differences with time of manufacture.

You may also find the pictures on this Post on my Blog of interest - it was all abou the ride height of the Gresley FB

Let me know if you want anything more specific.

Regards

Ray

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Steve. Does it match Bachy mk1's do you know please?

Not easy to say, now - I've weathered it!  However I was getting bored with all the parcels vans being filthy, so I 'weathered' it to try and represent an almost ex-works van (they must have been clean then surely?) - this picture may help:

post-31-0-27629000-1364817886.jpg

As far as the maroon goes, I've given it a thin coat of 'Kleer' which has given it a bit of a sheen, also I think improves the tone of the colour.  I've also painted and slightly weathered the roof, underframe and ends.  The Bacchy CK is straight from the box.

Thanks Ray too. Appreciate you going to that trouble. Totally understand what you say about the lighting and all. I guess the great thing for me about what you've done is that it's easily comparable.

My thoughts are that the early Hornby Gresley looked too plum and the stanier too brown. I'm surprised at how 'red' the Stanier looks in the photos though. Maybe that's to do with mine being lit by one strip light in the loft, and yours having much better lighting. i'm not sure whether the fact that the Stanier has red interiors reinforces the fact it's not that red.

Is the period 2 the restaurant car? I see it doesn't have the horrible cut out - makes it looks way better!

Also the lining thickness looks much better on the BG too.

Re the crimson cream, for me the bachy / mainline BG looks way better then the Hornby. The crimson is less flat as David pointed out and the custard less yellow and more cream. Lovely paint job. Is the model that far off the Hornby one?

If I had one last question for you Ray - Is the cream on Hornby's gresleys more creamy then yellow?

Thanks for all your help guys!

Rich

The matt-mud that passes for crimson lake or maroon on Hornby coaches in no way captures the prototype appearance. The colour does need sorting as does a change from dead matt to semi-gloss. If the proprietary companies can go out and measure up preserved coaches, they should have a good look at the paintwork while they're at it, or match their paint to Railmatch!

Post 1956 maroon was a rich colour (I have some), but it requires a satin-gloss finish for it to look right.

One should be aware of the differences from cameras too. Having tested a Canon and Nikon DSLR in the past few weeks, the Nikon delivers far more accurate maroon even when slightly over-exposed. I am about to test the Nikon on blood & custard (awaiting bright sunlight)!

If I had one last question for you Ray - Is the cream on Hornby's gresleys more creamy then yellow?

Rich - I am guessing that you mean 'Staniers more creamy than yellow'.  I have added another picture to the 'set' which might clarify the colour differences.  The latest picture shows the Stanier (Crimson and Cream) much more yellow than the Bachmann Mk1 which is more like cream. 

You have also spotted that the lining on the Hornby Gresley Maroon Full Brake is finer than the lining on their super detail brake second - makes you wonder why. 

Yes my Hornby twelve wheel RC has been refitted with the old Dapol underframe with no cutouts.  I have written a Blog Post about lowering the ride height to match Bachmann Mk1s  (and I guess Hornby Staniers).

Regards

Ray

Is the model that far off the Hornby one?

Rich, you have me puzzled.  Two completely different models coupled together - a Bachmann/Mainline ex LMS BG and the latest Hornby Stanier BCK.  I love the colour of the Hornby coach but I do rather suspect that it is too bright.  When I was train spotting (1959/1961) there were still a few crimson and cream coaches around in the north east - from what little I can remember they were rather grimy and the colours washed out.  I would guess that any coach that is left out in the rain and sun for any period of time is going to look faded next to one freshly painted.  I think artists will confirm that reds always fade when exposed to light.

Regards

Ray

Hi Ray - thanks for your replies. I should have been clearer - my fauly - I was trying to type while small people were bouncing raucously next to me on our bed :-)

With the BG - I was meaning to ask is the Bachmann / Mainline one a much less detailed moulding then the new Hornby BG. I have a nice crimson Hornby BG and was wondering whether it would completely show up the older B/M model

With the other question - I did mean Hornby Gresleys :-) I'm thinking of getting a BCK in Crimson / Cream and from the pics I've seen the cream looks more cream then custard then the Staniers.

I'm on paternity leave now, so will read your blog with interest - and sorry for creating confusion - really appreciate your help!

One last question - I know from my books the maroon varied in colour. Di the crimson cream vary the same? the pictures I have show it fairly constant...

I have a photo somewhere of a post-'56 train with a crimson/cream Mk1 in it. The coach has faded to be effectively red and white - there are chocolate/cream WR coaches in the rake to compare the cream to and it is definitely closer to white than cream, also it is alongside a maroon Mk1, and the crimson looks more like faded scarlet than anything else.

Adrian

Hey Larry - thanks for the info - I do love the colours that your coaches come out of your shops in - I'm not holding much hope out they'll ever be that good, but I do thin that colours should be easy to change. They seem to have done it.

Thanks also for solving the mystery of the Porthole BTK - I always wondered why the big red band at the top - now I know :-)

With the BG - I was meaning to ask is the Bachmann / Mainline one a much less detailed moulding then the new Hornby BG. I have a nice crimson Hornby BG and was wondering whether it would completely show up the older B/M model

Thanks Rich - not quite the answer you were looking for.  Sorry but I do not know anything about the Blood and Custard Gresley coaches, not really my choice of region or era.  Also I cannot comment on the Hornby BG.  I have a number of Bachmann ex LMS BGs in crimson, lined marroon and, crimson and cream.  I think they fit in well with both Bachmann and Hornby stock and given the colour of the other Hornby coaches I was not tempted to buy anything else. 

I bought my Hornby Staniers to replace older Airfix and Mainline Staniers (which have recently been reinvented by Dapol).  The colour of the maroon Hornby is not right but as the pictures show is just bearable.  The coaches are very detailed and as a result very delicate.  They are also quite light weight and I think I have been inside the maroon coaches to add lead shot as they run at the ends of a seven coach rake and had a tendancy to jump the track occasionally.

Thanks

Ray

In view of discussion about the Hornby blood-and-custard Staniers I show below a fairly ordinary view of two of them behind a Bachmann LMS Compound, and very nice they are, too!

My feeling is that much depends on lighting, both in prototype and modelling situations, and the predominantly yellowish hue of many model railway settings would not help the cream colour on the models. I still like them.

post-7929-0-74826200-1365460244.jpg

Rob

Archived