Peco Point microswitches

Beardybloke

Afternoon all,

Another quick (I hope) question in my ongoing saga of trying to get my layout wired up... and lets hope there are as many helpful folk out there as last time :)

On my 009 layout rebuild, I'm going for solenoid point operation as a replacement for the bodged wire operation method that I did have, mainly as I already have a few Peco PL-10Es lying around from an earlier aborted project - I'm sure that something like Tortoise with inbuilt microswitches would be better if I were starting from scratch, but that's by-the-by.

My main problem is that I don't know which microswitch to go for to change the frog polarity - the PL-13 'Accessory Switch' or the PL-15 'Twin Microswitch' - I've had a play on Google and searched the old RMweb, and it seems that the PL-13 is the basic one and will do the job (it certainly appears to have the contacts for an DPST) but quite a few people seem to advocate the PL-15 as being required to make the point/switch combination equivalent to a Tortoise - why is this? Is it simply because it's easier to wire extra accessories to it (e.g. point indicators, LEDs, signals etc.) or is there some other nefarious reason? If it's the former, I'm not too worried as I'm running a quarry layout with no signalling, and am quite happy to splice an LED or two into the circuit in parallel to give an indication on the control panel. However if it's the latter, I don't really want to waste my money buying something that'll need replacement...

So... if there's anyone out there who can provide some clarification, I'd be very grateful :)

You'll find the PL-13 will disintergrate under heavy use, especially if your making a layout for exhibition use, go for micro-switches every time, avoid the PL-13's like the plague, they are weak, and lightly assembled.

edit. By micro-switches, I dont mean Peco PL-15's, but one piece complete jobs from the likes of Expo tools(280-31) etc.

IMO neither of them are much good :(

PL13 - wear out quite quickly and are subject to environmental conditions - especially dust which seems to get inside and foul up the wiper.

PL15 - much more fiddly to set up - but more reliable in operation. But I don't think the extra cost brings much benefit - In my experience they also work loose but this can be resolved with some thread lock.

I would ebay the PL10's and use any funds towards something far more reliable - like a Tortoise ;)

• RMweb Gold

11 pl13's have been fitted to my layout as construction progressed over the past year. Of those 11, 4 need to be replaced already and the layout has only really seen anything other than test running until the last few months. Easy to fit, they need to be.

No connection to the manufacturer other than as a disatisfied customer.wink.gif

Right, thanks chaps, that's me told :blink:

Two things then arise from this... can someone recommend a decent type of DPST microswitch that would be usable with a Peco solenoid and how best to mount it so that it works reliably; or can someone recommend a supplier for Tortoises?

If the latter, does anyone want to buy some PL-10s? ;)

• RMweb Gold

Use something like this

http://www.maplin.co...?ModuleNo=20406

mount the switch on a suitable block of wood close to the solenoid. You can then ben the long paddle on the switch so that the switch works at the mid-point of the throw of the solenoid.

I had some pics somewhere on the old forum, I'll have a dig around later if I can ....

found it - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26875

Cracking, thanks Redgate - I'll get myself half a dozen of those and have a bash... it'll be cheaper overall given that I've got some PL-10s already!

Is it necessary to solder the back of the motor pin to the switch (or secure it in some other way) or are the switches sprung and return to their original position (and polarity) when released by the solenoid being thrown in the opposite direction?

Don't want to sound fussy here, but in case you're going shopping at Maplins etc. you should ask for SPDT switches (single pole, double throw) not DPST.

Oops :blush:

I'll pretend that I don't have a degree in electronics at this point... or blame it on the very Irish coffee :lol:

• 1 month later...

Could someone post a pic/drawing of the PL10 + microswitch assembly, please? There used to be one on the old rmweb site but it's gone now, and I can't visualise how to orientate the switch to make it work in both directions. Or am I just being thick...?

Thanks.

I didn't realise the PL-13 switches were so prone to failing. Would covering them in something like shrink wrap possibly help to keep dirt ingress to a minimum or are they a no hoper? I look to the underside of my layout and see too many PL-13s for comfort now. And the glue I used to stick them on was powerful stuff - wouldn't want to have to chisel them off in a hurry.

I will jump on the 'avoid PL-13' bandwagon too.

The only drawback with Tortoises would appear to be their size - you need well over 3" clearance to mount them under the baseboards. The other issue you may want to consider is that they need to be wired differently to solenoids so would not be a like-for-like replacement.

Also, why does everyone on this site recommend Maplin when Rapid Electronics sell the same gear for a fraction of the price? huh.gif

I have used Tortoise on my last layout and wouldn't go back. However, for the club layout we are using SEEP solenoid point motors with an inbuilt polarity change switch - PM-1 is the one you would want (4.00). I think PECO track is OK but their accessories have always been a disappointment to me - expensive and poor quality. My 2 cents.

John

Would covering them in something like shrink wrap possibly help to keep dirt ingress to a minimum or are they a no hoper?

No I don't think that will help. It is probably more of an environment/oxidation of the internal strip/wiper than a dust/dirt issue - but that may depend on where the layout is based.

If you have a working layout without any problems I would leave them in place and continue to use them - the only driver for change would be to eliminate the thumping of the points (I know some like this)

Only when and if one fails change it.

But if you are building a new layout there is no contest. (well perhaps the DIY servo route)

The wiring of Tortoise motors is simpler and requires no CDU.

Also, why does everyone on this site recommend Maplin when Rapid Electronics sell the same gear for a fraction of the price? huh.gif

Maplins are well known but I have not heard of Rapid Electronics before. If you know of a good model of microswitch they sell then a link would be very welcome. :)

EDIT: - Is this the one you mean?

http://www.rapidonline.com/sku/Electronic-Components/Switches/Microswitches/Paddle-lever-microswitch/28681/78-0720

I would agree with the comments about Tortoise motors. I started out using Peco motors and microswitches. They were a pain to set up and i could not get them to work correctly with the single and double slip i have on my layout. I switched to Tortoise and would not go back now. Wiring is easy and the built in switches are great to work with. You only need standard DPDT switches to control them. Good luck

Could someone post a pic/drawing of the PL10 + microswitch assembly, please? There used to be one on the old rmweb site but it's gone now, and I can't visualise how to orientate the switch to make it work in both directions. Or am I just being thick...?

Thanks.

I've managed to bodge a few on my layout into working order, dunk - I'll post up a photo or two for you once the server's been transferred across (I'm at work at the minute) - though the old RMweb will hopefully be back by then!

Archived