Bakewell - Peak District Line BR - Layout Views

Alister_G

• RMweb Gold

To continue then...

First, I had to rectify the error I had made on the side landings of the bridge, by cutting them off and turning them upside down.

Then, I started adding the uprights for the sides of the bridge. These were cut out of a thin strip taken off the edge of a sheet of 20thou plasticard.

post-17302-0-70837300-1380050855_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-12657800-1380050858_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-41149300-1380050860_thumb.jpg

Then I cut two slightly wider strips of the 20thou plasticard, for the top rail. These needed bending into a curve, obviously, but rather than use the pinning and heating method, I simply ran the strips edgeways between my thumb and forefinger lots of times until they took up the required curve:

post-17302-0-80334200-1380050863_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-85613100-1380050867_thumb.jpg

I then stuck them in place on the model:

post-17302-0-13800300-1380050871_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-27615900-1380050873_thumb.jpg

Finally, I cut out the side members for the main staircases down to the platforms. Again, I used 20thou plasticard for this, as its easier to cut more intricate shapes from the thinner stuff.

post-17302-0-24971100-1380050876_thumb.jpg

They will eventually be braced by thicker framing inside.

That's the basic structure of the bridge span done then, so now it's on to the fiddly bit - the latticework :O

You'll see how I got on in a minute.

Al

(PS. Okay, for Jeff's benefit, not necessarily a minute, maybe longer... who knows!)

:D

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Footbridge Part 3

I've now got the basic structure of the main bridge deck completed, and it's time to add the detailing.

The signature feature of an awful lot of railway footbridges was the iron latticework which makes up the sides of the structure.

This is the bit I was dreading, but in fact, although time consuming, it wasn't as bad as I feared.

To make the lattice I've used some Slater's microstrip. I'm not sure what it's exact dimensions are - suffice it to say it's bloody small! :)

So, I started at one end, and gradually worked my way across the bridge, trying to keep an equal gap and angle between adjacent strips.

post-17302-0-62015200-1380052139_thumb.jpg

I suppose, that to do this properly, I should have measured and marked the position of each strip, and I'm sure there are modellers out there who would do just that.

I'm afraid, however, that I don't have the patience for that, so I'll just have to hope that my slapdash and shoddy method looks OK. :nono:

After an interminable length of time, I got to the other side:

post-17302-0-56396700-1380052142_thumb.jpg

And, in the best traditions of the Forth bridge, I went back and started again, only slanting the other way:

post-17302-0-40092700-1380052145_thumb.jpg

At this point, I ran out of microstrip of the right size...

post-17302-0-63369600-1380052148_thumb.jpg

Which is most annoying.

I though I had more, but on investigating it seems I have similar, but not exactly the same, and having experimented it just doesn't look right to mix even slightly different dimensioned pieces.

To get to this point, I used four 300mm lengths :O  so I'm going to have to get quite a lot more to complete the rest of the structure!

Anyway, as the latticework has ground to a halt, I added some of the detail of the iron supports for the bridge.

This is where I got to before coming to post all this on the computer this evening:

post-17302-0-29546200-1380052151_thumb.jpg

I'm really surprised, actually, as to get to this stage has only taken about 8 hours work, spread over the last couple of days since Sunday.

The majority of the time has been taken up with doing the lattice, and this will continue to be a pain, literally and figuratively, as it is very fiddly work. My shoulders and back are aching now.

Tomorrow, I'll make a start on the support legs and the staircases.

Thanks for looking,

Al.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

That's a fantastic job, Al. And guess what - I'm going to need a Midland-style footbridge for KL, so I may just nick your technique!

Your effort is deserving of more than one "like"...

Anybody watching what some of us get up to, be it walling or microstrip, must think we're crazy. I'll be starting my delapidated bothy shortly - so let me know what you think.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Most impressive.  Particularly like the curlicues between the main deck supports and the uprights underneath.  The way you have applied the bending method is really attractive too! 

Curlicues, eh? So that's what they're called :D I'll have to stop thinking of them as "funny round bits" :nono:

Thanks mate, I need to do some catching up on various folk's threads, yours included.

Cheers,

Al.

Not technically a curlicue, perhaps, but the best way I could think of of describing the funny round bits ;) 

Still, it's a term used in architecture, so appropriate I think.  Here's an example image:

XLARGE.jpeg

Not too much exciting on my thread, just how I built the model pub.

• Like 1

acg_mr

The speed your skills and knowledge are improving is fantastic. Very impressed with the baking idea. Thank you for sharing the details so clearly.Nicely lined up lattice too.

I echo Jaz's comments the way you've put the lattice footbridge together is very impressive Al, your skills base is phenomenal and an inspiration along with your easy going posts it's a pleasure to sit here at work reading your latest layout news.  :mosking:  :imsohappy:  8)

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Morning Al, good to have you posting again and I am very impressed with that scratch-building. Slaters is just down the road at Darley so I hope your microstrip supplies will soon be refreshed. I too will need a Midland footbridge but I think life may be a bit too short to scratch-build one. As I have previously said, I have an unopened etched kit which I may be tempted to have a go at, but the York Models' one does look tempting.

• RMweb Gold

Al

As I caught up on the thread just for a moment, with all these bits of plasticard floating around, I though I had logged onto Ron Heggs Manchester Central thread, right up to the point where you say "I suppose, that to do this properly, I should have measured and marked the position of each strip". :O

Looking at the (part) finished result I actuallycan't tell that you didn't measure each one out, so the "slapdash and shoddy method" will do for me. :sungum:

More praise for the way you post the each of the build "steps" as well. Forty years ago my modelling consisted of plonking plastic or card kit onto a layout and letting my imagination do the rest. Now I am getting ready to be active again following layout builds such as Ron's and yours (just a couple of the many amazing threads) I have realised that not only do I need to aim much higher but also that if I do, with a little time and effort (plus one of those damn "learning curves") its quite exiting what might be possible.

Keep up the good work,

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Al,

I must say that it is looking impressive.  I like the way you have the plan at scale size to make it to.  The heating technique sounds interesting.  I have done it with hot water for van roofs but it would be difficult for a shape like that so the heating is the way to go.  By the way it does not work on Preiser figures so that you can move their arms and legs, they just shrink!

The way you have laid out what you have done shows how "do able" it is.  I do not want to detract from what is obviously a skillful build but you are showing how you are building a kit, except that you are making all the parts.  I know scratchbuilding frightens people because they look at the finished article and they do not know where to start, but if you look at how it is done it is "easy".

(Definition of "easy" - fiddly, frustrating, eye and finger aching, exacting, time consuming, etc etc)

Now a question.  That 'round thing'.  Did you bend a strip of plasticard or did you cut the end off a tube?

Edited by ChrisN

• RMweb Gold

Footbridge Part 4

I've got some replacement stock of Microstrip on order from Slaters, which I'm hoping will be here by the weekend.

In the meantime, I've done a few more bits.

Firstly, I added the bracing struts that join the two sides of the footbridge together:

post-17302-0-22504800-1380143386_thumb.jpg

Then, I started a marathon cutting session.

I started with some Plastruct 3.2mm tubing, and cut eight lengths of that:

post-17302-0-70232600-1380143388_thumb.jpg

Then I took some Plastruct 4.8mm tubing, and cut loads of short bits of that:

post-17302-0-11427900-1380143391_thumb.jpg

In two different thicknesses:

post-17302-0-10639100-1380143394_thumb.jpg

then finally I took some Plastruct 6.4mm tubing, and cut eight very short sections of that:

post-17302-0-81020000-1380143396_thumb.jpg

Which leaves me with this pile of bits:

post-17302-0-78366700-1380143399_thumb.jpg

The construction, I'll do in the next post, as I've got too many photos.

Al

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Footbridge Part 5

The secret of all these different sized tubes, is that they all fit snugly inside each other.

So first, I take one of the 6.4mm sections, and push into it one of the thicker slices of the 4.8mm tube:

post-17302-0-44613100-1380143846_thumb.jpg

Then, I push in one of the 3.2mm sections:

post-17302-0-91903800-1380143848_thumb.jpg

You can just make out how they fit inside each other here:

post-17302-0-12423900-1380143863_thumb.jpg

Next, I push one of the the thinner slices of the 4.8mm tube on the other end, and hey presto! a column:

post-17302-0-35274000-1380143851_thumb.jpg

Only seven more to do! :)

I took the main section of the bridge, and at each end, I stuck on four of the bits of 6.4mm tube, one on each support leg:

post-17302-0-66824500-1380143854_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-79199300-1380143865_thumb.jpg

When they had dried, I pushed in the columns, and tried a test fit:

post-17302-0-34088700-1380143857_thumb.jpg

Note that these are not stuck in place yet, and need some straightening up and the length adjusting in a couple of instances.

I'll leave that until I try it with the side staircases in place, later in the build.

Oh, and I chucked the green towel behind it, 'cos I couldn't get the camera to focus properly with all the gubbins behind :nono:

For the moment, it gives some idea of the effect I'm after:

post-17302-0-45817300-1380143860_thumb.jpg

That's all for now,

Thanks for looking:

Al.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

acg_mr

The speed your skills and knowledge are improving is fantastic. Very impressed with the baking idea. Thank you for sharing the details so clearly.Nicely lined up lattice too.

Thanks Jaz, very kind of you. 12 months ago, I wouldn't have dreamed of attempting something like this. It's mostly thanks to encouragement from you and all the others that I even dare try.

I echo Jaz's comments the way you've put the lattice footbridge together is very impressive Al, your skills base is phenomenal and an inspiration along with your easy going posts it's a pleasure to sit here at work reading your latest layout news.  :mosking:  :imsohappy:  8)

Simon

Thanks Simon, don't work too hard now! :D

Morning Al, good to have you posting again and I am very impressed with that scratch-building. Slaters is just down the road at Darley so I hope your microstrip supplies will soon be refreshed. I too will need a Midland footbridge but I think life may be a bit too short to scratch-build one. As I have previously said, I have an unopened etched kit which I may be tempted to have a go at, but the York Models' one does look tempting.

Cheers Jonathan, It's good to be back! Yep, hopefully it shouldn't be long before I get some more microstrip. It's really surprised me how quick it's been to build the basic structure. The latticing is going to be the most long drawn-out bit, probably. It depends what you want on your layout, but I decided that none of the available kits were near enough to the prototype to make it sensible to buy one.

Al.

• RMweb Gold

Al

As I caught up on the thread just for a moment, with all these bits of plasticard floating around, I though I had logged onto Ron Heggs Manchester Central thread, right up to the point where you say "I suppose, that to do this properly, I should have measured and marked the position of each strip". :O

Looking at the (part) finished result I actuallycan't tell that you didn't measure each one out, so the "slapdash and shoddy method" will do for me. :sungum:

More praise for the way you post the each of the build "steps" as well. Forty years ago my modelling consisted of plonking plastic or card kit onto a layout and letting my imagination do the rest. Now I am getting ready to be active again following layout builds such as Ron's and yours (just a couple of the many amazing threads) I have realised that not only do I need to aim much higher but also that if I do, with a little time and effort (plus one of those damn "learning curves") its quite exiting what might be possible.

Keep up the good work,

Chris

Hi Chris, thanks very much for your comments. It's funny that you should mention Ron Higgs, as I've been an avid follower of his threads since I joined RMWEB. I wouldn't dare put myself in the same class as he is, but his threads showed me what is possible with plasticard and microstrip, and gave me the impetus to have a go.

I have a feeling that he does measure and mark every bit he does - which is probably why his finished structures look so bloody amazing! However, I'm satisfied with how this has turned out so far.

Thanks again,

Al.

I could guess where the bits of tube were going, Al, great stuff.  People (largely elsewhere) have said I work quickly, which is mainly a product of until this summer spending a couple of hours a day on the motorway so I could visualise what I wanted to build & just come home and start cutting, but this is super quick for the quality.

Looking forward to more...

• RMweb Gold

Al,

I must say that it is looking impressive.  I like the way you have the plan at scale size to make it to.  The heating technique sounds interesting.  I have done it with hot water for van roofs but it would be difficult for a shape like that so the heating is the way to go.  By the way it does not work on Preiser figures so that you can move their arms and legs, they just shrink!

The way you have laid out what you have done shows how "do able" it is.  I do not want to detract from what is obviously a skillful build but you are showing how you are building a kit, except that you are making all the parts.  I know scratchbuilding frightens people because they look at the finished article and they do not know where to start, but if you look at how it is done it is "easy".

(Definition of "easy" - fiddly, frustrating, eye and finger aching, exacting, time consuming, etc etc)

Now a question.  That 'round thing'.  Did you bend a strip of plasticard or did you cut the end off a tube?

Al,

Really love this, the way that you are putting it together.  Just like a kit of parts.

Hi Chris,

Thank you very much for your comments. I got round to answering eventually! :)

I don't think I could have attempted this without having the plans provided by Stan Roberts from when he built his model of Bakewell. It would have been too hard to visualize the correct relationship of all the bits, not to mention the dimensions. As it is though, with the plans as a guide, then my normal technique of creating all the bits like a kit, and then sticking them together, seems to be paying off.

I agree wholeheartedly that in the abstract, when you look at this or any other model I have done, the idea of scratchbuilding seems incredibly daunting. As I said to Jaz, as a relative newcomer to the world of railway modelling, I certainly didn't think I would be capable of producing such items twelve months ago when I started.

If nothing else, then I hope that with these posts, I have shown that if you approach each job methodically, and break it down into manageable sections and logical processes, then it is possible to tackle even the most apparently complex subjects.

Anyway, enough preaching :)

Oh, and yes, the "funny round bits" are offcuts of the 4.8mm tube shown in the above posts, as you've probably guessed by now.

Thanks Chris,

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I could guess where the bits of tube were going, Al, great stuff.  People (largely elsewhere) have said I work quickly, which is mainly a product of until this summer spending a couple of hours a day on the motorway so I could visualise what I wanted to build & just come home and start cutting, but this is super quick for the quality.

Looking forward to more...

I thought people probably would :D

I have to juggle work and domestic distractions, as you do, so I get certain times when I can crack on without interruption, and others, (as you've seen) where I can't do anything for a while.

Happily so far this week I've been able to just get on with it. I do do a lot of planning beforehand though, which doesn't really show up in these posts, but which means that when I do get the time to model, I usually have a plan of campaign mapped out in what little grey matter I have left...

Glad you're enjoying it mate, more soon.

Al.

cor all this gabbing ....and no colouring ......... :jester:

you take your time....only joking........beautiful work........you deserve all the comments....Evergreen must need restocking.........

was it from an Allan Downes plan???? LOL.

I'm going before I get a slapping.........

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic work Al, and it is great to see you have such a positive attitude to modelling. I personally think that we are all capable of most areas of modelling (buildings, loco kits, track construction, etc.) and it is fear of the unknown that holds us back from having a go. You'll be hand-building turnouts for Bakewell Mk 2 I bet ;) :D

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al, I don't want to appear to be super-citical but if you look at the photo of the bridge in post 526 the support columns are quite slender compared with what you have made. I don't know whether someone like Scalelink do columns that would suit. York Modelmaking seem to cheat and use square section tubes on their footbridge. Then again, it is your bridge.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al, I don't want to appear to be super-citical but if you look at the photo of the bridge in post 526 the support columns are quite slender compared with what you have made. I don't know whether someone like Scalelink do columns that would suit. York Modelmaking seem to cheat and use square section tubes on their footbridge. Then again, it is your bridge.

Thanks Jonathan, yes, I agree that in the photo they do look quite thin. I'm not in a position to check at the moment, as I'm at work, but I will have a look tonight as I thought I'd picked a size of tubing which was correct to scale.

If they are too thick, I do have some smaller diameter tube, or I could also sand down the existing stuff to match, if it's only a slight difference.

One thing I notice is that the diameter does not appear constant along the length, so I may sand a slight taper.

I have had to simplify the section at the top and bottom of the column as well, as they are quite intricately carved on the prototype.

Cheers mate,

Al.