RMweb

Bakewell - Peak District Line BR - Layout Views

Alister_G

• RMweb Gold

Seriously, that's the dog's doodads. Should I ever get back to your neck of the woods I'll have to try to track you down so that I can see this in the, erm, flesh as it were. I particularly like the weathered paint job you've given it, as well as your brass curlicues, they can't have been easy. I see I'm going to have to step up my game! :)

Hello Al, Just popped in to see how your getting on, the bridge looks great, cracking job l find the painting is the hardest job as it can make or break a build whatever it is, but it seems you have got it just right, keep the progress pictures coming...

George

• RMweb Gold

Al,

Well done.  You are obviously proud of it and so you should be.

I was a bit thrown by your first picture of your station yesterday as it appeared to be sitting on top of a picture of your next project.  Then I realised that you were using the local housing pages to work on.  So used to seeing modern brick without chimneys I forgot there are still proper houses being lived in.

• RMweb Gold

Returning to the main station building, the paint isn't dry enough to weather yet, but if handled carefully, I can at least try assembling the bits.

So here's the building tacked together:

post-17302-0-24986100-1383433474_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-64315300-1383433476_thumb.jpg

And here's a couple of views of it on the layout:

post-17302-0-09973800-1383433479_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-23374500-1383433481_thumb.jpg

Her's a view looking from the Road bridge north towards Hassop

post-17302-0-40541100-1383433483_thumb.jpg

and here's an overview looking the other way:

post-17302-0-97996600-1383433633_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

Your getting so much done, what drug are you on ;P. Looking good I think the footbridge option is going to work out nicely.

edit= lol missed the finished colouring correction = Spectacular!!!!!! (You need the voice from Strictly come dancing normally reserved for 'Disaster Darling!')

Edited by Jaz

• RMweb Gold

I've managed to get my plans down from the loft - first up the 2 chain line plan...

And a 40ft-1" station plan...

Probably a bit late now but finally the footbridge - the plans were drawn in 1960 for a proposal to raise the height by over a 1 ft - I cannot confirm whether the works actually took place.

This may also be of interest - the very sad sight of the demolition train. This was posted in the old Bakewell Facebook page...

Homesfeldian, that's great, thank you very much for taking the time to find those.

I've also received a copy of the two chain plan from Dave Harris at the Midland Railway Study Centre, but his copy is nowhere near as clear as yours, so that's brilliant.

Glynn Waite has also sent me some documents, including a sketch of the interior of Hassop made by Laurence Knighton in 1954 from the architectural plans. As far as I know, Hassop and Bakewell were built to the same plans, and it certainly seems to agree with my Father's recollections of the internal layout of Bakewell in the 50s.

With regard to the footbridge, yes, I'd read somewhere (I think maybe Bill Hudson's book) that there had been plans to electrify the line, and to that end they planned to raise all the bridges, and I believe they did actually insert a cast iron fillet at the top of the columns on the Bakewell footbridge. Quite what they planned to do to the adjacent road bridge, I don't know, as it would have required a full rebuild and a regrade of the road as well!

I think that photo appears in Bill's book as well, it is indeed a sad scene as they dismantle the signal box.

Thanks again mate,

Al.

• RMweb Gold

I can't publish Laurence Knighton's sketch of the interior plan, however here is my version of it.

post-17302-0-59637000-1383505549_thumb.jpg

Unless anyone knows any different, this is the layout of the walls that I will be working to.

Thanks very much to everybody who has helped with information and advice.

More soon,

Al.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I can't publish Laurence Knighton's sketch of the interior plan, however here is my version of it.

attachicon.gifmain-stationdetailplan.jpg

Unless anyone knows any different, this is the layout of the walls that I will be working to.

Thanks very much to everybody who has helped with information and advice.

More soon,

Al.

Al,

Glad to say that I was almost completely wrong with my guesses which means when I look at other outsides and chimneys it will be even more difficult. 

I notice that the 1st class passengers and ladies had a bigger fire compared to the 2nd and 3rd class passengers as they had a double chimney above their fires or was there a fire in the booking clerk's office and in the booking area?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris,

Yes, I believe that in each case where there is a double chimney, the fireplaces located each side of the wall, so the booking office and booking hall would each have a fireplace.

Cheers

Al

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al, I think you meant treble clef for your scroll shape, but they look the part all the same. For undercoating models whether brass or plastic I now use Halfords etch primer spray in grey. Works a treat ( thanks to Larry Coachmann Goddard).

Edited by Rowsley17D

Both metal and wood effects look great on the footbridge, Al.  I'd say it's hard o believe that's a scratchbuild, but it's only really scratchbuilding that can produce something like that, even hand painted I'm not sure something factory made could come out as well.

Also love the station building.  Shows what can be done with layering the materials!  As you know I'm a brickpaper-and-card rather than plasticard modeller, but I've always thought something inspired by this, if not actually this, would be entirely possible using layering techniques.

Out of interest how certain are you about the floorplan?  I just wondered about access to the staff side of the booking counter being through the First Class waiting room.

• RMweb Gold

Hi C&WR,

Thanks mate, I'm really pleased with how the bridge turned out.

Ooh, blimey, I think Battersea Power Station would be a challenge whatever material you used :O

Maybe Allen Downes might try it - it's not that far off being a cathedral, after all :D

As regards the floor plan, Yes, I agree it's slightly strange, but originally the Booking Hall was open on both sides, and that door would have led into the First Class waiting room without having to go outside. The ticket office was originally a half-hexagon shape on the platform wall where the windows are - does that make sense? - here's a plan:

post-17302-0-65377900-1383576690_thumb.jpg

Something like that...

However, sometime in the BR takeover period it was changed to a long counter and partition wall, according to both my Dad and Laurence Knighton, and who am I to argue?

There are still the double doors which lead onto the platform, so it may be that staff entered the office that way, rather than through the waiting room.

Cheers,

Al.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al

In the world of card modelling Chubber's your man. You might find post #1 interesting for his interior. Also, if you aren't 100% sure and want the ability to change your mind, you could always build the rooms separately and then drop them in. Personally, I think you have a good handle on things. :)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67105-a-free-lance-gwr-themed-terminal-station-building-for-bears-end/

Edited to say - C&WR, I've just looked at your beach thread, you do some amazing work!

Edited by JCL

• RMweb Gold

Blimey Al, you've 'made it' now - have you seen this guy's work? (check out the Downes vs Robinson thread for a thoroughly entertaining read and some truly inspirational modelling) ;)

:D

Way ahead of you Graham, I've been following that thread for ages...

I'm already overwhelmed by the interest shown by you and many other modellers who (in my opinion) are streets ahead of me, and any false modesty aside, I certainly couldn't have managed what I have without the suggestions and encouragement of you and many others.

You're the one that FORCED me to bend my crossover, remember :D

Cheers mate,

Al.

• Like 1