Stephen Fay’s diorama builds. GCR Kirton Lindsey tunnel

steve fay

• RMweb Gold

New banana van transfers from Steve @ Railtec, best get the wheels on order to get it finished as I have another one to build!

You know, i've looked at that photograph several times and thought, what an odd arrangement to the under frame.  Only this morning have I realised the box wagon is sat on a dogfish!!!  Duuuhhhh :) Just goes to show, even us idiots can be stupid at times!  

The transfers look good tho, I presume (having now twigged about the dogfish) that you still have the under frame to build?  Whose kit the wagon body?

Rich

It's a Jltrt kit, the under frame is partially built I just need to order some wheels to get it finished. The hopper seemed a good place to sit it!!!!

They are great kits to build. I shall be building quite a few more and try intend on adding some LMS banana vans along with some GW examples in the future

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Steve,

Will have to take a look at what JLTRT do with wagon kits - for some reason I never think about them for wagons, always associate them with loco kits.  Looks really good tho.

Rich

There wagon kits are superb, they have quite a few I want to build for Gaer junction.

I'm on with painting the signal box today for STE

I'm looking forward to their CovHop wagons. I saw the body samples at Reading and they looked excellent!

JF

• RMweb Gold

Hi Steve,

That box looks superb.  I presume you've done an all-over base paint, then picked out individual bricks in different shades?

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Steve,

Looks great - as a matter of interest, what have you used to wipe it off? I've been using kitchen paper, but haven't got the overall standard effect that you've achieved.

Rich

Yes I used BR bauxite as the base colour then 3 different shades on various bricks, then the white emulsion painted all over and wiped off.

Hi Steve,

What are the other three colours you use for the brick work?

Regards

Chris

The paints are humbrol Matt 82, matt61 & gloss 9 I use the number 9 first, I didn't intend on getting gloss but that's all the shop had. If you use it first the other dry brushing and the white tones it down.

I do use tissue to wipe away the excess, what I find is best is to give the base a few coats of grey primer then a few white before the top colour goes on, this will seal the MDF nicely that way when you brush on the emulsion you can wipe it away similar to slaters brick work. If you don't use enough under coat the MDF can still absorb the emulsion and it's not very easy to wipe away any excess paint.

I also dry brushed the Matt 61 all over before adding the emulsion. I also dry brushed some Matt 33 black to highlight certain areas.

post-5983-0-46980100-1464971818.jpegpost-5983-0-59250400-1464971831.jpegpost-5983-0-55279900-1464971844.jpegpost-5983-0-89888600-1464971859.jpeg

The only bit of chocolate & cream I could get on the signal box!! I had a delivery of wagon posters today from Sankey scenics, very good value at £3 a pack, of interest to me is the Geest labels. Just cut out and peel the backing off as they are self adhesive. It's a nice additional detail.

• Like 8

post-5983-0-10099400-1466538689_thumb.jpegpost-5983-0-67288700-1466538712_thumb.jpeg

The signal box is nearly finished now, glazing is in and I've added the down pipes and soil pipe. I'm not to sure if I will change the down pipes as I feel they might be a bit big.

Severn tunnel mouth next.

• Like 8

It is a superb job, Steve, but can I add an observation -

The diameter of the rainwater goods looks too big, as you say, but the soil pipe from the toilet looks too small also. Reverse the diameters (soil pipe large, downpipes small) and you would be about right.

John