Stephen Fay’s diorama builds. GCR Kirton Lindsey tunnel

steve fay

post-5983-0-91536800-1468012003_thumb.jpeg

Six hours of painting and stressing! The MDF not me! And a start on the dry brushing. Lots more still to do.

I've added the odd bush in place temporarily and a loco as it would be rude not too!

• Like 10

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

I've printed off the PDF that Phil has sent and mounted it on Some card to check the clearance, I've also cut out the hole for the bracket signal.

This is the last major piece of the puzzle.

Looking brilliant Steve, I've been looking forward to seeing how the bracket signal interacts with the tunnel mouth. Someone's going to be a lucky customer with all your scenic hard work now coming to fruition!

JF

Thanks Jon, You Phil and I make a good team. I have to admit I will be sad to put this one up for sale, I have enjoyed the build though & I'm looking forward to building something this side of the Severn!

How do Steve,

are you going to put some of the "hill" behind the tunnel mouth of Seven tunnel east? All you would need is about 12" to get the effect.  

Nice looking job.

OzzyO.

That Polak stuff looks really good, I tried looking on their site but couldn't navigate around it too well to see the products. 

Is there a British supplier at all, or do you have to deal with them directly?

The layout is really starting to come to life now, your scenery work is fantastic Steve.

That 42xx looks a rather nice thing, I do like the GWR 2-8-0T locos, they'd put many a tender freight engine to shame!!!

Jinty ;)

The polystyrene insulation board arrived today, I've cut two pieces giving a depth of 100mm. They have been glued together and will be left over night. In the morning I can tidy up the tunnel opening and cover it in decor fill. Once dry it can be painted Matt black.

Once glued securely in place I can finish the scenic work at this end.post-5983-0-64078900-1469047829_thumb.jpeg

http://www.greatescapegames.co.uk/basing-materials/modelscenemats.html

Try these for more great scenic items

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

This beast is joining the loco fleet next year, built from a JLTRT kit by 3 link ( Martin )

She will be renumbered to 4270 a Newport ebbw junction loco

I should check out the situation with the bunker before renumbering it 4270 - the preserved one is definitely different but I don't know why or when.

Sorry Mike I should have typed 4271. I spent some time going through some books to find a suitable local based loco

4271 may not be the best choice - unless you fancy removing the outside steam pipes! 4271 at Ebbw Junction 21st August 1959

post-5366-0-95390900-1469091485_thumb.jpg

Well to be completely honest I looked straight past that in the picture I found!!! 4247 was herself an ebbw junction loco around 1959 so I might just leave her as is.

I have to confess I've already got the plates here for 4271 but I won't worry I expect I will want another 42 at some point so one with internal steam pipes would make a nice little difference. A 72 with the raised curved foot plate over the cylinders will cover that variation as well.

Edited by steve fay

• RMweb Gold

Well to be completely honest I looked straight past that in the picture I found!!! 4247 was herself an ebbw junction loco around 1959 so I might just leave her as is.

I have to confess I've already got the plates here for 4271 but I won't worry I expect I will want another 42 at some point so one with internal steam pipes would make a nice little difference. A 72 with the raised curved foot plate over the cylinders will cover that variation as well.

Beware the minefield of running plate detail on the 72XX - they're as bad as the 42XX (and occasionally even worse).

Hi Steve,

There was only two reasons I picked 4247 at the time of building her, one was it had to have outside steam pipes ( as I think the 42's look better with them, saying that so does the 28's in my opinion ) and two was because she was down at St Blazey for a while.

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link
  • Like 2

Hi Martyn, I noticed in my allocation book she spent a bit of time in Cornwall. A simple shed code plate change to a 86A and job done.

I quite like the inside steam pipes, I've got a great pick of 2813 in that condition with the patches on the smoke box side. ( one for the future )

What I do like is variety between classes. Either way the 42 will provide the motive power for a variety of goods traffic that I'm building up.

Back to STE and the insulation board is now glued in place and decor full added to the inside of the tunnel mouth. I've sprayed this Matt black. Tomorrow I will fill in the gaps with silicone and glue the grass firmly in place then the bushes and bracken can be added

• Like 3