Stephen Fay’s diorama builds. GCR Kirton Lindsey tunnel

steve fay

• RMweb Gold

WOW x 2 !!!!

Wow x 3, then doubled and squared!

Steve, hope your really pleased and proud with that - it looks amazing.  Hope your photo shoot tomorrow does it justice, just a shame your selling it!  If i had space for the fiddle yards either end, to run trains over it, i'd be seriously interested!!

Well well done, The second of the two shots you posted this evening really make me look twice.  Another inspirational example on rmWeb to give us idiots (thats me!) something to aspire to....  :scratchhead:

Rich

Severn tunnel had been safely stored away in the Railway room, so this week I'm back to work on a warship conversion. I've stripped the body shel down of all detail components and it's ready for it bath in detol! I've also taken the opportunity to strip D845 back down as I'm going to redo the paint on this one. She didn't come out as good as D806 so it has to be redone.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

post-5983-0-80703800-1475678840_thumb.jpg

I'm still here!! I've been working away on Warship conversion D805 Benbow. I've added the first body stripe today and will do the second one tomorrow. This one isn't for me I'm afraid it's due to head off to its new home and another little project of mine!! Canton.

• Like 8

There are some great threads on here Larry providing plenty of inspiration. Your own projects have provided me with inspiration as well.

I particularly like your avatar picture as that is of course my main project in O gauge.

Edited by steve fay

I went scoured pages 3 & 4 to learn how you ballasted the track to no avail Steve. I presume you used the spread ballast/Fairy Liquid in water/diluted PVA dropper method....?  I aim to carry out several experiments tomorrow, but i just might (reluctantly) have to use the dropper method in order to cover the Peco web below the rails. 

I've used Dapol O gauge ballast on this project, once the track is fixed in place I add the ballast working it in place with a paint brush, tapping it down to cover the webbing. I also use the brush ( a 4" brush ) to tidy up the shoulder. Once I'm happy with it I give it all a mist of water from a spray bottle. I then add the usual PVA water washing up liquid either straight from a PVA bottle or a syringe.

This track bed is on a 6mm ply base to raise it up a little as main line track had a more pronounced shoulder.

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 1

I've used Dapol O gauge ballast on this project, once the track is fixed in place I add the ballast working it in place with a paint brush, tapping it down to cover the webbing. I also use the brush ( a 4" brush ) to tidy up the shoulder. Once I'm happy with it I give it all a mist of water from a spray bottle. I then add the usual PVA water washing up liquid either straight from a PVA bottle or a syringe.

This track bed is on a 6mm ply base to raise it up a little as main line track had a more pronounced shoulder.

Thanks Steve.  My first attempt some 10 years ago ended as bubbly porridge and I reverted back 50 years to the glue and ballast in one go method. That said, I can see how good and accurate your ballasting looks so i will give it another go.

• 2 weeks later...

As some of you may have seen on Jon's signalling thread, I'm going to see a room with in a premises on Monday with the intention of setting up an O gauge group. It's early days yet but it's looking positive.

The initial plan will be to get a loop running with Severn tunnel east forming the scenic side and if all agreed Severn tunnel west will be added.

Ideally it will be a club to run trains, Most of us have to make do with end to end layouts so this will provide a weekly opportunity to see locos and stock stretch there legs.

• Like 6