Bromley North

BR(S)

After getting some help in the Electrics (non-DCC) section, I have spent today wiring up two point motors for my trap points (the only two points I have on the scenic area of the layout).  This is the first time I have ever used point motors.  I tried a SEEP motor first and didn't like the action for use with motor controlled points (I would use these to mimic the action of a hand point though). 

I chose to use Cobalt point motors from DCC Concepts with their switch and LED accessory pack (DCP-CMS-A or DCP157) and a regulated 9V DC power supply.  They are very easy to wire up; two wires from the switch to the power supply, two from the switch to the point motor and, if required for a signalling panel, a red/green LED soldered to the three points on the switch.  The DCC Concepts switches come with a PCB soldered to them and the wiring points clearly marked.  The point motors require no soldering as 7/0.2 wiring fits snugly in the terminals, but a soldering point is provided if required.

I haven't interlocked the points with the signals . . . something for the future!

Video 1: The cobalt point motor in action:

Video 2: The red/green LEDs on the panel, green to indicate point is in proceed position and red in trap position:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loi88ZluqyE

Video 3: I have also wired up some Express Models zebra crossing lights and added some Roger Smith road markings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJiPk0sgEi8

Following today's replacement bus service from Grove Park to Bromley North while new point motors were fitted, a couple of locos and a DMU have arrived for overnight stabling, ready for the Monday morning rush hour.  I've tried to use a level of sharpness that gives a sense of a crisp autumn night. 

This first shot is from an angle not normally used due to the difficulty getting the camera into position:

post-17625-0-34022000-1381096734_thumb.jpg

I liked this one due to the focus on the station building and the lights from the pub in the background:

post-17625-0-18014100-1381096924_thumb.jpg

And an overview facing south:

post-17625-0-54800800-1381096770_thumb.jpg

After adding the videos for my point motors etc., I noticed how unrealistic my Berko signals look on their bases.  They are supposed to represent a new installation (hence why there are a few P-way workers and their vans at this small station) so I don't want to weather them.  The bases have been sunk into the baseboard, just leaving the small circular area on the base in view, which I have painted in concrete.  I have also painted the telephone in grey to get rid of the unrealistic silver colour.  The ground mounted signal now just sits on a small concrete base.  Not as good as signals on some layouts (e.g. those on Widnes Vine Yard) but a definite improvement.

post-17625-0-95731500-1381275386_thumb.jpg

post-17625-0-23917500-1381274465_thumb.jpg

Can I ask if the station building is scratch built or from a kit?

I can't believe how wonderful this layout is. Having grown up in Cricklewood during the 80s and 90s I love NSE. Bromley North was a regular spot for me in the EPB days. My Aunt lived in Hayes, so it was EPB to Bromley North. Catch a bus to Hayes and an EPB home via the Mid-Kent. This really does take me back. If only those loco hauled trains had existed, I'd have visited my Aunt and Uncle every weekend!

Can I ask if the station building is scratch built or from a kit?

It is a credit to Hornby that the station building is actually from their Skaledale range!  The Hornby codes are R8713 (main building) and R8714 (add on pieces).  However, I think it's quite difficult to find now and only comes up on eBay from time-to-time and sells for around £50 for the three parts.  It is perfect for NSE architecture though and I have customised it by adding signs and posters.   

• RMweb Gold

It is a credit to Hornby that the station building is actually from their Skaledale range!  The Hornby codes are R8713 (main building) and R8714 (add on pieces).  However, I think it's quite difficult to find now and only comes up on eBay from time-to-time and sells for around £50 for the three parts.  It is perfect for NSE architecture though and I have customised it by adding signs and posters.   

Yours is actually a little more grand than the original, which was a 1925 single-storey rebuild by Southern Railway. In 1976/7 I spent many a morning there, checking accountancy before taking cash to Hither Green, which was the banking station. Your diversity of services would have made the place a lot more fun!

Yours is actually a little more grand than the original, which was a 1925 single-storey rebuild by Southern Railway. In 1976/7 I spent many a morning there, checking accountancy before taking cash to Hither Green, which was the banking station. Your diversity of services would have made the place a lot more fun!

The Hornby one is probably closest in style to Gravesend, with the pillars and the two symmetrical wings:

3256272931_9a75e923e8_z.jpg

Gravesend Station by kenjonbro, on Flickr

If Bromley North goes on for a few years, I may scratchbuild the actual station building, but this is just me thinking out loud!  One of my other options was Addiscombe with the lovely carriage sheds and that will definitely be a future project.  A scratchbuild of Southern Region carriage sheds wouldn't be too difficult.  But Bromley North isn't going anywhere for quite some time!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The Hornby one is probably closest in style to Gravesend, with the pillars and the two symmetrical wings:

Blow me down! That photo of Gravesend shows that they've actually restored the balustrade, which I think was removed in about 1880 (I'm not being clever, just quoting from Wikeley & Middleton, Railway Stations, Southern Region). The original building was 1849. The things you learn on RMweb!

I'm finally getting all those jobs done on the layout that should have been done before the ballasting etc was added, such as fitting point motors and adding extra lighting.  A lot of it requires holes to be drilled, but I have managed to keep disruption to the layout to a minimum (the greatest amount of damage was done when I got up off the floor and hit my head on the platform ramp that pokes off the end of the layout!).

One of the jobs that I have just completed was fitting the excellent Express Models' 3rd rail arc kit.  This involves putting a reed switch between a gap cut in a couple of sleepers and putting a tiny bulb underneath the 3rd rail.  You then feed the wires through two small holes and they connect to a couple of AA batteries.  Express Models also supply an on/off switch, but I don't personally use it.  The reed switch and bulb are then hidden underneath ballast.  Small magnets fitted to the underside of your third rail stock set off the bulb.  I either use blu-tac to hold the magnets in place, or they magnetise themselves to the bogie screw at the dummy end of the 2-EPB and 4-CEP.

Here is a picture of the arc effect as an ECS 2-EPB arrives in Platform 1 to await the Monday morning rush hour.  The blue bulb gives off exactly the right colour for a 3rd rail arc:

post-17625-0-57080000-1382306965_thumb.jpg

A wonderful looking layout. Thanks for sharing :)

I remember that area a little, I grew up in Barnehurst, and occasionally would head over to Bromley, though usually by bus. Remember the Bexleyheath and Greenwich lines better though, as used Barnehurst to go to London Charring Cross most of the time from there, or Slade Green to go to Uni in Woolwich (later the campus moved to  Greenwich) and from Woolwich Dockyard for a short while when I lived near there as a student.

The Networker converter unit is something i'll have to investigate as it could add some extra interest to my plans for a layout based near Woolwich Dockyard set around the late 80s/early 90s when Networkers were just coming in.

The Ikea INGO tables also give me some ideas.. as it happens I'm looking for a simple, small dining table having moved to a smaller flat which makes the current dining table way too big to fit! they'd be too wide for my layout plans, but maybe with a fair bit of hacking i might be able to make them a viable option.

On the subject of videas and youtube, it is indeed fairly easy. For Windows theres fairly decent free software by Microssoft called Movie Maker that should allow you to do basic video editing etc. Personally I use iMovie on my MacBookPro.

• RMweb Gold

I'm finally getting all those jobs done on the layout that should have been done before the ballasting etc was added, such as fitting point motors and adding extra lighting.  A lot of it requires holes to be drilled, but I have managed to keep disruption to the layout to a minimum (the greatest amount of damage was done when I got up off the floor and hit my head on the platform ramp that pokes off the end of the layout!).

One of the jobs that I have just completed was fitting the excellent Express Models' 3rd rail arc kit.  This involves putting a reed switch between a gap cut in a couple of sleepers and putting a tiny bulb underneath the 3rd rail.  You then feed the wires through two small holes and they connect to a couple of AA batteries.  Express Models also supply an on/off switch, but I don't personally use it.  The reed switch and bulb are then hidden underneath ballast.  Small magnets fitted to the underside of your third rail stock set off the bulb.  I either use blu-tac to hold the magnets in place, or they magnetise themselves to the bogie screw at the dummy end of the 2-EPB and 4-CEP.

Here is a picture of the arc effect as an ECS 2-EPB arrives in Platform 1 to await the Monday morning rush hour.  The blue bulb gives off exactly the right colour for a 3rd rail arc:

attachicon.gif3rd rail arc.jpg

A small point. The arc is caused by the high draw of current being interrupted over the gap. An incoming unit will have been coasting for quite some time, so will not be drawing any appreciable current.

The Networker converter unit is something i'll have to investigate as it could add some extra interest to my plans for a layout based near Woolwich Dockyard set around the late 80s/early 90s when Networkers were just coming in.

Nice to do your own conversion of course, but in case you hadn't seen them, Invicta Models are doing these: http://www.invictamodelrail.com/39-001x-exclusive-Bachmann-nse-translator-coach-pack-pre-order-6599-3146-p.asp

A small point. The arc is caused by the high draw of current being interrupted over the gap. An incoming unit will have been coasting for quite some time, so will not be drawing any appreciable current.

A fair point, but I'll have to use a bit of modeller's licence.  Enthusiastic braking by the driver (we are into slippy season!) meant he didn't have enough speed to get to the buffers and had to open up again! 

A nice little Network SouthEast addition to the layout today, a ticket booth kit from Ten Commandments (code L175), originally from the Peter Clark range.  The kit is brass and not overly difficult to put together, but it doesn't always fit together perfectly and time needs to be taken to line everything up.  It includes a little seat and shelf for the ticket collector.  I finished it in the mandatory Railmatch NSE red and embellished it with NSE lozenges, posters and signage.  The paintwork could be a little neater but overall I'm pleased with it.

post-17625-0-28262600-1382529699_thumb.jpg

post-17625-0-26428400-1382530403_thumb.jpg

Certainly aids the character of the station :) reminds me of times spent at stations with that clock ticking away...

And never showing the right time but normally something like %£:E3:aa!  I've modelled one with a digit missing and one showing 88:88:88

• RMweb Gold

And never showing the right time but normally something like %£:E3:aa!  I've modelled one with a digit missing and one showing 88:88:88

Ridiculous suggestion. When these were announced we were told they'd never show the wrong time. Yeah, right - or, sorry, wrong.

I ordered hundreds of them for South Central, all in batches costing just under £250k, of course, which was my boss's delegated limit.........

Guest oldlugger

I remember one at Salisbury; waiting for an hour on a cold Winter's night for a connection towards Exeter and just hearing this loud "tock... tock... tock" from the irritating clock above.

Having finished off my layout's lighting recently and added a lot of new scenic items, I thought a few night shots were in order to see how Bromley North is progressing.  I'm really pleased with the first picture and it shows the new station building lighting to good effect.  In shots three and four, the buildings in the background look more realistic as the lighting now shows through only a few windows. 

It's a quiet evening, with a solitary Class 50 ticking over in the No 1 siding, awaiting its next Willesden Jct turn. 

post-17625-0-95177400-1382568181_thumb.jpg  post-17625-0-45151700-1382569046_thumb.jpg

post-17625-0-34739800-1382568190_thumb.jpg

post-17625-0-93438600-1382568198_thumb.jpg

post-17625-0-73473900-1382568207_thumb.jpg

post-17625-0-81208000-1382568259_thumb.jpg

Some Friday evening dusk pictures.  A 2-EPB has arrived with an early evening service from Cannon Street and awaits departure to head back to the City for more commuters.  A Class 47 can be glimpsed in the No 1 siding, having just worked in a service from Willesden Jct and now awaiting its next duty.

post-17625-0-86130400-1382720640_thumb.jpg

post-17625-0-79257000-1382720649_thumb.jpg

post-17625-0-20533400-1382720658_thumb.jpg

And as the EPB departs, a short video of the recently installed 3rd rail arc:

Although I was originally using my signalling panel as a temporary item, I have put some work into it and have decided to keep it for the time being.  It's definitely not one for the purists; the colours representing the lines are not realistic, just what was to hand, and it doesn't adhere to any signalling principles.

From top to bottom, the lines represented are the freight line, number 2 siding, platform 2, platform 1 and number 1 siding.  The switches on the left illuminate a red bulb to indicate the related line is occupied.  The switches with no bulbs are for the signals and the two on the right (one with red bulb and one with green) are for the trap point motors.  The green and red push switches at the top right are for the level crossing and the hole next to these is waiting for the Dapol SR semaphore signal.  In the picture below, the number 1siding and platform 2 are showing as occupied and the trap point for the number 1 siding is in the proceed position, with that for the number 2 siding being in the trap position.

As I say, not one for the purists but the main aim has been to learn about basic electrics and wiring point motors in particular.  Any future layout (or a new panel on this one) will incorporate more signalling principles and any track occupation detection will occur automatically rather than by the manual operation of a switch.  For now though it's fun to play with! :senile:

post-17625-0-73407100-1382793369_thumb.jpg

And one other picture of a new piece of fencing.  This has been constructed from metal balustrade posts from 5and9 Models (http://www.5and9models.co.uk/), based on those found at Horsted Keynes.  Highly recommended.

post-17625-0-32454400-1382793863_thumb.jpg

Archived