Bromley North

BR(S)

I have just uploaded my first DCC sound video to YouTube. It shows a Class 108 with Howes sound decoder and bass reflex speaker.

This is just a very basic test video as it's the first time I've used the movie function on my camera and the first YouTube account I've had. I will make much better ones once my new camera batteries have recharged.

I'm pleased with how the C&L Finescale track and Peco third rail looks once the 108 has departed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFPwBU1Yvpc

I've been playing around with some more movies of the layout and have put three more on YouTube. Due to the time it takes to upload them at the moment (I will look into reducing file sizes over the next few days), I have recorded these at the middle resolution on my camera, so the quality is not HD. My camera, a Fujifilm Finepix AV10, is fairly basic and the picture and sound obviously reflects this. The loco sounds are much better "in the flesh", so don't use these videos to make a judgement on these sound decoders (both by Legomanbiffo, bought through DC Kits). Over the next few weeks, I hope to edit my videos to a better quality and if I take to it, I may invest in some better quality equipment.

The three videos show the first train of the day from Bromley North to Willesden Jct. It's dawn (the light source is in the correct place for the rising sun!) and in video 1 Class 47, 47 612 "Titan", which was stabled overnight at Bromley North, has been prepped and fired-up ready to couple up to the inbound ECS. A Class 25, 25 060, nearly ready for the scrap merchant, arrives from Old Oak with two scruffy Mark 1s in blue grey livery, one with Network SouthEast logo. The 25 pulls up to the buffers and the 47 accelerates quickly from the siding and then backs on to the train:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSDzZ5LnJLc

In video 2, the Willesden service departs (a couple of minutes late . . .) and the 25 follows on once the signal clears to a single yellow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtwS-C7ybD8

Finally, the 25 stables in the east siding, the engine is shut down (while the Fitter who travelled down with it works on a few minor faults) and the driver heads to the messroom for a PNB until his next trip to Willesden:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4QQXgNat1Y

A couple more videos below, this time in HD but converted to smaller MPEG files. They show the Howes Class 108 sound decoder with a bass reflex speaker.

The 108 is being used by Christmas shoppers heading into central London. It has been running all morning and on its last arrival in platform 2 it sounded a bit ropey; the engine then failed while the driver was changing ends. We join him as he attempts to get it restarted:

Everything's coupled and it's time to go:

In post 55 above, I've added a couple of HD videos that I converted from AVI to MPEG format. At 350Mb, they still took about 25 minutes to upload to YouTube on ADSL broadband. Is this normal for YouTube uploading or am I doing something wrong?

In post 55 above, I've added a couple of HD videos that I converted from AVI to MPEG format. At 350Mb, they still took about 25 minutes to upload to YouTube on ADSL broadband. Is this normal for YouTube uploading or am I doing something wrong?

Hi

First I'd like to say what a great layout and videos.

I'd say that that is about right in terms of upload speed - the A in ADSL stands for Asymmetric, i.e. the upload and download are different, so you may have 8 or perhaps 16 or 20 Megabits per second download, but usually a lot less upload - typically only 0.5 Mb/s.

All I do is set the upload off then go for a cuppa.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

I'd say that that is about right in terms of upload speed - the A in ADSL stands for Asymmetric, i.e. the upload and download are different, so you may have 8 or perhaps 16 or 20 Megabits per second download, but usually a lot less upload - typically only 0.5 Mb/s.

Clever dick!

However, I do agree with Phil the layout is fantastic. Do you have any plans to exhibit?

All I do is set the upload off then go for a cuppa.

Phil

Thanks, as long as I'm not missing something obvious! I was just surprised that uploading seemed to be taking me back to the days of dial-up.

Do you have any plans to exhibit?

I don't have any plans to exhibit the layout. It was built with a home base in mind and isn't designed to travel. I suppose I could charge friends and family an entrance fee though :mosking:

I've been playing around with the settings on my very basic digital camera this afternoon.  Out of all the pictures I took, I selected four to further enhance.  Each image below has three versions: the colour original, a sharp-adjusted version of the original and a black & white version of the sharp-adjusted image.  The good thing about the b&w images is I was able to get rid of unrealistic shadows and parts of the wall.

post-17625-0-99788500-1356280233.jpg

post-17625-0-32513400-1356280248.jpg

post-17625-0-25317300-1356280263.jpg

post-17625-0-03921000-1356280297.jpg

post-17625-0-70987100-1356280310.jpg

post-17625-0-83535500-1356280321.jpg

post-17625-0-93607600-1356280335.jpg

post-17625-0-04538500-1356280344.jpg

post-17625-0-22185600-1356280351.jpg

post-17625-0-48686900-1356280359.jpg

post-17625-0-59052200-1356280368.jpg

post-17625-0-93932500-1356280376.jpg

Very nice layout :sungum: this is one of my favourite chapters in our railway history and I must say you have captured It very well :paint:

Agreed. Excellent layout - very well done. It's always nice to see something that I aspire to, knowing full well that I'll probably fall way short... :yes:

Hi BR(S),

These video clips are like a virtual exhibition. (Now there's an idea.)   Just how difficult is it to become a YouTube member and upload the clips. You have mentioned that uploading takes time, but is it a challenge in terms of editing and so on?  Also, I have never managed to paste links into my topic replies, so is it easy enough to do?

I do like the latest videos and those photos, especially the low-angled one over the concrete fence looking towards the station.

Colin

Hi BR(S),

These video clips are like a virtual exhibition. (Now there's an idea.)   Just how difficult is it to become a YouTube member and upload the clips. You have mentioned that uploading takes time, but is it a challenge in terms of editing and so on?  Also, I have never managed to paste links into my topic replies, so is it easy enough to do?

I do like the latest videos and those photos, especially the low-angled one over the concrete fence looking towards the station.

Colin

I have only become a YouTube member in the last few weeks and it's very easy.  You just give a few basic details (including creating a Google e-mail address to login, with password) and you're away.  Editing videos is very easy; it just takes a little while to familiarise yourself with the options YouTube gives you and then adding info to the clips is straightforward.  It's a bit like selling items on eBay in that all the hard work is done for you!

To paste a link to your videos, just copy the address bar and paste it in to your post; the video should appear automatically, like adding the BB Code from Flickr. 

When taking pictures, I always try to get the camera in a position where it looks like someone is viewing the layout.  Bearing in mind that I am using a really basic camera, I think the end product is pleasing once edited.  I am currently learning how to use my photo editing software so that I can add in sky and other backdrops.  It's not going well at the moment but I'll keep trying.  I have just ordered a transformer from Hatton's, so I'll hopefully take some pictures and videos with lighting in the next few weeks.

• RMweb Gold

I am a bit of a technophobe - being 64 helps! - but I have been a YouTube member for some time simply to listen to music. However, I did upload a motor-racing video I'd taken at Spa in the Summer, and it was quite easy, albeit your upload speed is typically a great deal slower than your download speed, so it does take a while.Not truly difficult IMHO.

• 4 weeks later...

A couple of pictures and a short video from me. 

I have started wiring up the lighting on the layout and have begun with my Express Models level crossing.  The video of this was taken from quite a high angle, but was the best of the few I made.  The shunter is the newest loco to arrive on the layout; it isn't sound equipped yet.  The crossing doesn't have barriers and protects a road used by rail personnel only.  Due to the lack of barriers, the warning sounds continue until the train has cleared the crossing.  No doubt the local Bromley North residents will complain about the noise eventually . . .  

The level crossing is controlled by an on/off switch rather than reed switches.  The sound is a bit higher in pitch than I'd like, so I will try replacing the speaker provided by Express Models with a base reflex speaker.

I've also been adding some detailing bits to the layout.  This picture shows some classic BR era posters:

post-17625-0-51155300-1358950642.jpg

post-17625-0-08883500-1358950652.jpg

The second picture gives an overview of the layout.  I have weathered my SR concrete hut, on the left of the picture I have added some Ratio SR concrete lamp posts with lamps removed and I've hung some NSE platform numbers from the canopies:

post-17625-0-60927300-1358950667.jpg

post-17625-0-87755600-1358950678.jpg

Some more pictures of the newly arrived Class 08, 08402, that shunts the local light industry at Bromley North for the Speedlink service.  I went for the Hornby model as, while I like the Bachmann offering, the Hornby one is finer, has more detail and runs better.  I will eventually equip it with sound, following this thread: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/65471-Hornby-08-dcc-sound-with-zimo-mx648/.

post-17625-0-77803000-1358969349.jpg

post-17625-0-77745700-1358969357.jpg

post-17625-0-80245800-1358969367.jpg

post-17625-0-79827800-1358969376.jpg

What make are the platform canopies please? I was looking for something like this after making my platforms a bit too narrow  :scratchhead:

Hi.  These are made by Kibri but I haven't got a part number for them as I got mine secondhand off eBay.  They come in green plastic with a black roof.

Hi.  These are made by Kibri but I haven't got a part number for them as I got mine secondhand off eBay.  They come in green plastic with a black roof.

Thanks. i'll take a look for them. Still liking the layout very much. Makes me think I over reached on size of my layout  (and underdelivered on quality)

Edit : I'm assuming it is this one - http://www.modelmasters.co.uk/acatalog/KI39569.html

Thanks. i'll take a look for them. Still liking the layout very much. Makes me think I over reached on size of my layout  (and underdelivered on quality)

Edit : I'm assuming it is this one - http://www.modelmasters.co.uk/acatalog/KI39569.html

Yep, that's it.  Worth keeping an eye on eBay though as I've seen a few come up on there.  I paid about £8 each for mine.

Archived