Bromley North

BR(S)

A few pictures of Bromley North to illustrate the newly wired signalling.  With all the scenic items now on the layout and no desire to invest in high quality photography equipment, I'm finding it more and more difficult to take pictures as there's nowhere to rest the camera! 

Firstly, no signals in this one, but we see a brand new Networker on test on a Sunday afternoon.  You'll notice that the no Networkers sign is being ignored; full permission has been given to pass this so tests can be carried out.  The Networker has a tail light on the rear as it is being hauled by a loco and EMU Translator Vehicle (which I am in the process of converting from a Mk1):

post-17625-0-06942500-1364746610_thumb.jpg

This shot shows three signals.  Just to the right of the shunter is the Eckon ground position light.  The lighting on these is known to bleed into the extinguished bulb and this is evident in this photo.  The picture makes it look worse than it is though.  For me, these position lights are an excellent representation of the real thing.  In the siding, a ground mounted Berko signal can be seen, with the red aspect at the top of the signal so it is closer to the line-of-sight of the driver.  On the platform line is a Berko standard three aspect signal.  I have got to add signal plates; the signals will be BN10, 12, 14 and 16, arbitrarily chosen but with correct even numbers for "up" direction signals.

post-17625-0-43645000-1364746616_thumb.jpg

Finally, a shot of the slightly different signal, being a Berko ground mounted one attached to a wooden post with an access ladder on the front and a stand alone signal post telephone.  I wanted to do something different here, but this shot also acts as a warning regarding the use of forward planning on a layout!  I hadn't planned in the ability to send the wiring through the baseboard, so it has to go back through the tunnel, as is clearly visible here.  However, I can hide the wiring using a piece of Plastruct U Channel material, which will look like a cable run when painted up.  This is about the only planning error that has become evident so far on this layout though!

post-17625-0-38494800-1364746623_thumb.jpg

Hi BR(S),

Re. resting the camera, you could always buy a mini-tripod for about £10.00.  Mine came from Jessops (r.i.p.) and extends from approx 6-12", with a tilting camera fixing screw.  Another trick I have used is to rest the camera on a 1" square of foam placed directly on the layout.  The camera can then be set for focus and using a timer, can produce nice 'eye-level' effects. 

All the best,

Colin

Hi BR(S),

Re. resting the camera, you could always buy a mini-tripod for about £10.00.  Mine came from Jessops (r.i.p.) and extends from approx 6-12", with a tilting camera fixing screw.  Another trick I have used is to rest the camera on a 1" square of foam placed directly on the layout.  The camera can then be set for focus and using a timer, can produce nice 'eye-level' effects. 

All the best,

Colin

Yes, I think a tripod is going to be the answer.  I want to take pictures like the Networker one above, where the picture looks a lot more realistic with little evidence of the room the layout's in.  The picture with the shunter and signals is more for showing something rather than showcasing the layout and is the sort of picture I want to move away from.  However, I don't want to keep moving or knocking over scenery to achieve the shots I'm after.  More photoshopping practice will also allow me to add in effects, such as sky, to make less effective pictures look better. 

In a few weeks, I'll be adding in my fiddleyard extension to allow me to run four car EMUs :yahoo:  The Network SouthEast rejuvination has created the need for these in the rush hour at Bromley North!

The Networker has a tail light on the rear as it is being hauled by a loco and EMU Translator Vehicle (which I am in the process of converting from a Mk1):

attachicon.gifNetworker on test B&W.jpg

Hi BR(S).

Just a couple of Prototype Helpful points for you.

Firstly, Due to the way the modern Electrical actuated 3 Step Brake system works on more modern EMU's, you will need another Translator Vehicle on the back to drag your 466 around. This allows the electronics to realise that the train is complete and then will release the brakes on the EMU when the Loco releases the train brake to move off with the train.

and

Secondly,

Met Cam built 465/2's ( and therefore the later converted 465/9 Weald Units ) and 466's have a removble lamp iron that slide into a slot on the drivers side overrider( Buffer shapped lump! ), they cut them in half and had someone weld a spacer in place when the "anti-train surfing" yellow sections were added ... Please see attached crop from a picture of mine, below. 

466006taillamptongueslo.jpg

HTH

Mike

Met Cam built 465/2's ( and therefore the later converted 465/9 Weald Units ) and 466's have a removble lamp iron that slide into a slot on the drivers side overrider( Buffer shapped lump! ), they cut them in half and had someone weld a spacer in place when the "anti-train surfing" yellow sections were added ... Please see attached crop from a picture of mine, below. 

Ah, I'd looked for pictures of the lamp iron when placing the lamp on mine and was sure I'd seen an NSE one with a lamp iron there a few weeks ago.  In the end, with no evidence, I placed it over the handrail as I'd seen one with a headboard clipped over it.  I shall move it to the correct place.

Regarding the translator vehicle, this is a bit of modellers' licence as I haven't got room to have one at each end, even when my fiddleyard extension has been built!

My new tripod arrived today, so I've taken some pictures from new angles.

I'm really pleased with this first shot.  An MLV arrives early in the morning with a GUV in tow:

post-17625-0-17263600-1365092870_thumb.jpg

post-17625-0-10267500-1365092877_thumb.jpg

Class 31, 31 268, arrives with a train from Willesden.  The photoshopped grass in the foreground could definitely do with improvement:

l

post-17625-0-63017500-1365122683_thumb.jpg

A Class 45 prepares to take the train back to Willesden:

post-17625-0-81717700-1365092938_thumb.jpg

Some night time shots with the new tripod.

I liked the overview shown by these first two shots; they show how the layout has developed over the last few months:

post-17625-0-93289200-1365120424_thumb.jpg

post-17625-0-51488000-1365120422_thumb.jpg

A Class 150 departs as an ECS to the sidings:

post-17625-0-99673400-1365120419_thumb.jpg

I couldn't decide which of these I preferred.  The first shows the colours as taken and the second has a reduced colour saturation:

post-17625-0-44857600-1365120414.jpg post-17625-0-03984300-1365120416.jpg

I'd have said the colours in the first of the two photos were a bit too warm, especially on the left - looks like a photo taken under tungsten lamps rather than halogen or fluorescents. Here's one nicked from the top of the two, with a quick mess with the colour balance - more green and less red - to imitate the effect of fluorescent tubes on film.

post-6971-0-90747800-1365164749.jpg

I'd have said the colours in the first of the two photos were a bit too warm, especially on the left - looks like a photo taken under tungsten lamps rather than halogen or fluorescents. Here's one nicked from the top of the two, with a quick mess with the colour balance - more green and less red - to imitate the effect of fluorescent tubes on film.

attachicon.gifmore-green-less-red.jpg

Yes, the colours you've produced there do look better; definitely more natural looking.  You've brought out some good colour in the station building especially.  With the next pictures I take, I'll play around with the individual colours a bit more.  I'm pleased with some of the pictures I've taken, but I'm still looking to produce one with a realism "wow" factor.

• 2 weeks later...

Four car EMUs have finally arrived at Bromley North :locomotive:  A nicely weathered Bachmann 4-CEP has arrived in platform 1 with a rush hour service from Cannon Street. 

post-17625-0-45781200-1366217330_thumb.jpg

The 4-CEP is an excellent model overall, let down in three ways.  Firstly, the lighting wiring was known upon release to be incorrectly wired on some models, of which this was one.  I have managed to get the lighting to work in 3 of 4 coaches and it is extremely dim in the fourth coach, to the extent that nothing much shows (this is not just "how it is", there is definitely something wrong with the LEDs).  While doing the rewiring, I managed to break the headcode LED in one end, but have been able to order another one from Bachmann as a spare part.

Secondly, this EMU definitely wins the award for most difficult model to get into, with the clips holding the body to the chassis being a very tight fit.  I'm amazed I didn't break anything during yesterday's rewiring.

Finally, you have to put the unit on the layout already coupled together with the electrical connectors, as they won't push into place if doing it on the layout.  This means lifting it as a four car unit, which is not easy.

However, despite the above, it is an excellent looking model and a superb runner, so all is forgiven!

To accommodate a unit of this length, the fiddleyard is being extended.  I have done this by buying a piece of cheap flat pack furniture that was nearly perfect dimensionally for the space I had and length I needed.  This is shown below in relation to the existing layout.  I will only be able to have one four car EMU; I was hoping to get a blue/grey 4-VEP when released, but I don't have the room for it. 

post-17625-0-31292900-1366217333_thumb.jpg

I picked up one as well. Be a fool not to at £89 !! Terrific value. I agree that they are a pain to get into and that manoeuvring them onto the layout coupled is a bit fiddly as well. This definitely needs to be a left on the layout type of unit. As for the lighting I think mine suffers the same type of problem but as I can't really notice it during daylight running hours (I don't run my layout in the dark) it isn't much of an issue for me at all. 

Now you've extended the fiddle yard any plans to extend the scenic section?

Definitely not!  I only extended the fiddleyard because I wanted to run a 4 car EMU (or preferably more than one).  Having previously built a huge tail-chasing layout that I became fed up with, Bromley North has purposefully been built as a small layout, but one that is densely packed with scenic items.  I also want to limit the amount of rolling stock I have (one of each class, all sound equipped), although I have bought slightly more than I orignally planned; this is mostly because I like to buy models when they are of good quality. 

Work has progressed on the fiddleyard revamp this weekend.  The area shown in the picture is now complete.  The main aim was to allow all rolling stock to have its own allocated track, making sure that nothing was blocked in.  From past layouts I have found that having to take any consist with more than one coach or wagon off the layout, or having anything blocked in, means that it doesn't get used very often. 

All the freight consists have been put together so that they finish behind the signal on the freight line.  I have catered for all future planned purchases; with the exception of the Dapol 121 and 122 I have on order, everything will have a track for storage.  I will treat the Bubblecars like locos, which I don't mind storing off the layout. 

To finish off the 1m 10cm extension on the right hand side, I am just waiting for delivery of two more curved points.

post-17625-0-81056300-1366545112_thumb.jpg

And a distance shot of the layout, showing all the clutter to good effect.  It is a peaceful Sunday lunchtime in south London.

post-17625-0-73791300-1366545289_thumb.jpg

The fiddleyard extension is now finished.  Nothing technical here, just the ability to have all stock on its own, unobstructed track so that nothing has to be taken off the layout.  As I wanted to use a flatpack piece of furniture rather than build my own baseboard, I was limited to the dimensions available.  Ideally, I needed a 120cms long table, but had to go with a 110cms one; this means that some of the track has to go beyond the end of the table so that there is room for some of the EMUs.  If I want to, I can always add a small extension using a couple of brackets, but I'm happy to leave it as it is for now.  There is a fold-up bed at the end of the fiddleyard to make sure nothing falls to the floor! 

As most of my fiddleyard track is Code 75 and I wanted to use Code 100 curved setrack points (Peco ST-244 and Hornby R8075) to curve the track through 90 degrees, I had to use the Peco SL-112 Code 75 to Code 100 rail joiners for the first time.  These are very easy to use and can be either insulative or conductive (via thin metal strips supplied in the pack). 

The first picture below shows the original fiddleyard from December last year and the other pictures are of the extension I've just finished.

post-17625-0-43412300-1366731742.jpg

post-17625-0-70078900-1366731731_thumb.jpg

post-17625-0-35483400-1366731739_thumb.jpg

A picture from midnight.  The station is now closed for the night and a 4-CEP has just arrived ECS from Cannon Street, ready for the solitary morning rush-hour four car train.  It will stable on platform 1, where we see it being cleaned before it is shut down. 

post-17625-0-55904000-1366819123_thumb.jpg

post-17625-0-58788300-1367011496_thumb.jpg

Edited to add extra picture with increased green colouring for comparison with original. 

Archived