WCML Drag

Mark Pelham

Good Afternoon,

I am thinking of modelling a WCML Mark 3 set with a failed Class 90 being hauled by a Class 57. The DVT will be visible at the rear so my main question is would the DVT need a tail lamp or could the Class 57 provide power for the normal tail lighting?

Would it depend on the extent of the defect with the 90 as to whether the pantograph could remain raised for electrical train supply or would it have to be lowered as a standard practice?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

As the DVT would be trailing a tail lamp wouldn't be required. The in built tail light is sufficent, howver if the 90 iis trailing the BIS would be out and a tail lamp would be required.

The only time a tail lamp would be required on the DVT in this situation when trailing would be if the batteries were u/s.

Al Taylor.

• RMweb Gold

I agree with 45125s post above, the batteries on the DVT should be sufficiant to power the tail lights even with the pantograph is down on the 90

The battery switch on the DVT has 3 positions, normal, isolated and off, NORMAL is as it says the normal position when running which allows power to everything, ISOLATED position will leave the tail lights lit running via the batteries and the OFF position switches everything off which is when you will need a tail light

Thanks for all your replies, I think I will go with just the DVT lights as it will be easier to just fit a function decoder rather than deactivating the tail lights and installing a tail lamp.

Thanks Tim for the photo, it is the first I have seen of the rear of a failed train but I guess most people who take photos are more interested in what's at the front! I wonder if the tail lamp may have been fitted in that instance as "a matter of course" or whether it was pre-emptive of loss of the DBSO battery, do you recall if the tail lamp was working by any chance?

It never occurred to me that the DVT would have batteries which could also be used solely for the tail lights under those circumstances.

Cheers,

Mark

Many years ago I was waiting on Derby station and two or three class 47s coupled together were standing in platform 6. I noticed the flashing tail light was out and told the driver, who disappeared into the rear cab (no engine running on this loco) and turned on the built-in lights. I guess this would have been OK until it ran the battery flat!

It depends whether the rear vehicle has battery power for the built in lamps. On the SW, we used to have a formation that was (variable) 4VEP/33/4TC. Sometimes it was 8VEP/4TC, in which case the TC would need a tail lamp as there was no ETH feed to run the lights, so a tail lamp was needed.

There were reported intances of a 33+4TC arriving at New Street from Cardiff or Southampton; the New Street staff would moan about having to run round; the southern driver would change ends and prepare to drive away, having thrown away the oil tail lamp in disgust saying it wasn't needed as the red blinds on the TC were illuminated! This was before the days when push-pull working was common.

Archived