'Abbot's Bridge' (72G)

georgeT

Hi mate, I do like the finished hut, what colour are you doing the brickwork and mortor?

if you stick the points to the tape how do you intend to fine tune the track alignment?

Looks good so far.

Andy.

• RMweb Gold

My only experience with track stuck down on double sided tape was on a club Z gauge layout which I was wiring up. The adhesive doesn't go hard and the curve ends moved a little creating dog legs so I would suggest that at joins on curves some extra fixing may be required. In practice 0 gauge points being larger may get a better grip.

Don

George,

I just watched the video and I am amazed how easy this is. At least you make it look easy :sungum:

The buildings I want to have for my layout Schietwedderooge have a lot of stucco applications around the windows and doors. I am just wondering whether I should add the before I cover the basic structure with a layer of DAS or if I add them afterwards. I plan to make the out of 2mm plywood.

Here is drawing to show what I mean:

MicroLayoutHuser-1.jpg

Hello Ulrich, With the DAS you can put your base coat on first, then roll out some more to the thickness you require, the carefully cut out the shapes of extra pieces you need, put some PVA on and laminate them together whilst they are wet, and when its all dry you can scribe whatever you want.

Glad you found the videos helpful, should you need further assistance just ask, l am sure me or Andrew P can help............

George....

Hello Duncan,  l get the 2mm plywood from   SLEC Ltd (01953 885 279)   l bought some 3'x1' sheet's, but it was very flimsy and warpped, so l cut it all up to a smaller size, and it was fine, now l buy it 12"x12" about £1.20 a piece, and its much better.

l agree MDF is not very good for model making, plus it is not so easy to cut out windows etc etc, 2mm ply is a much better option, also get some POWERBOND 806 superglue, as it stick's the plywood instantly,

My baseboards for 'Abbot's Mead' are 6mm MDF, on a 3"x1" softwood frame, and l had to give them 2 good coat's of PVA before any track laying took place hope this help's.

George

Hi, Having spent a few day's with Andrew P, (Sir Lune) l couldn't help but be inspired by the thing's he was doing, he even had time to work out a track plan for my 'Abbot's Mead' layout, which l have now built, there is still so much to do, but the picture's give you an idea of what's happening.

The engine shed had to have major surgery to fit in with the plan, but l like the change's, l have to build a good's shed to go along side the station bay platform, also the mainline run's on through the station to a additional baseboard, to be made at at much later date, so it will be run as a terminus at home.

George

post-7716-0-06962500-1358846979_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-77328500-1358846988_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-78303600-1358846997_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-34630000-1358847006_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-21387000-1358847023_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-87086600-1358847032_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-48368200-1358847042_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-12457100-1358847051_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-15250100-1358847061_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-43122500-1358847073_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Morning George.

Nice to see the number of 2mm ply devotees seems to be increasing. Not surprising after what you've done on here. I'll be constructing my platform bases from a 2mm ply honeycomb, so your current batch of photos is very interesting!

Jeff

Morning Jeff, l have done platforms this way for years, but with plasticard, finding the 2mm ply has made my modelling so much easier, its better to cut, sand and marking out is better too, plus with the 806 glue, it sticks instantly.

l will coat the platform edges with DAS and scribe, l am thinking of a thin layer of DAS on top of the platform to scribe paving stones into?

l used to by the ply in 3'x1' sheets, but l found it warps, now l buy it in 12"x12" so much better, even buy 4mm strips 12mm wide, great for ribs in the buildings, just cut and glue, hope this helps.........

George

(Cor that's rich coming from  ALL TRACK PETERS   (hahahaha)

Andy, l will have a little roon for some green promise, anyway track laying is complete, apart from the fiddle yard, and can now take the layout apart, and work on one board at a time,

George

post-7716-0-52040200-1359012259_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-25029100-1359012268_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-09326600-1359012277_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff, l have done platforms this way for years, but with plasticard, finding the 2mm ply has made my modelling so much easier, its better to cut, sand and marking out is better too, plus with the 806 glue, it sticks instantly.

l will coat the platform edges with DAS and scribe, l am thinking of a thin layer of DAS on top of the platform to scribe paving stones into?

l used to by the ply in 3'x1' sheets, but l found it warps, now l buy it in 12"x12" so much better, even buy 4mm strips 12mm wide, great for ribs in the buildings, just cut and glue, hope this helps.........

George

Cheers George. Next time I place an order with SLEC (in the next month or so) I'll ask them about the ribbing. Is it 4mm thick ply - and I guess you rang them up as I don't think it's advertised on their website.

Just give Old lune a kick and he'll behave himself!  :O

Jeff

Hello Jeff (Sir Lune)  Yes the strips are 12mm x 4mm x 900mm, and are about 80p, they are great for lots of uses much easier than cutting them.

things are getting back to normal now that Old Lune has gone home, l need another holiday to get over it. must have put half a stone on.    hahaha

George

Archived