'Abbot's Bridge' (72G)

georgeT

• RMweb Premium

Are those shed doors on the wrong way round ? I thought the diagonals always pointed up and away from the hinges.

That's about the third new thing I've learned on the Forum today. I'd never had known that fact Stubby.

Irrespective, another brilliant structure, George. You are making a lot of "converts" here.

[btw, how about a secret microphone when Andy comes over - I bet you two are a right hoot!!]

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Are those shed doors on the wrong way round ? I thought the diagonals always pointed up and away from the hinges.

I would have thought it should be the opposite - as shown - as the diagonal forms a triangle with the hinge edge and the horizontal to support the weight of the gate.

Edit: Thinking about it, I'm wrong. as shown, the diagonal is in tension - which wouldn't work so well as the weak point is the join. If aligned as stubby says, the diagonal would be in compression, which works much better.

• RMweb Gold

I'm not claiming this is 100% the case, but I believe it's based on simple physics...

If the diagonal bar is let into the upright, the effort is transferred down the diagonal. If the diagonal is also let into the horizontal bar, the effort on the horizontal bar is away from the vertical. Thus, with two tailored joints at each end of the diagonal, and one pinned joint betwen the horizontal and the vertical, the triangle is self supporting ( and will also hold the addition of vertical planks).

However, if the triangle is made as illustrated, the natural effort is down & away from the vertical, so is not self supporting.

If that makes sense...

Edit : Compression & Tension - that's what I meant !

• RMweb Gold

Beat you to it, Stubby. (see edit above).

Just to add that if it was a metal gate, it would probably be the opposite way, as metal is stronger in tension than compression. Think supporting stays on railway crossing gates...

Thanks for the help lads,  l have modified the doors, and had a bottle of lager, feel better now and the shed looks better too,

"l think its the inpending visit of Sir Lune that has got me in a tizzy" HaHa  thanks again.

georgeT

post-7716-0-06880100-1358207123_thumb.jpg

A friend had given me half a dozen or so long flexable track that were taken off a layout that was broken up, they were a bit worse for wear, and covered in paint, so l thought l'd start by removing all the webbing between the sleepers, bit of a pig but l  think it looks more realistic and is so much easier to ballast, once you put all the sleepers in order.

georgeT

post-7716-0-20674500-1358238123_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-86676400-1358238134_thumb.jpg

Hello Richard, Yes it was a pain to hear that l had put the doors on wrong, but thanks to Stubby47 and others for putting me right, that they are now hanging correct, we learn something everyday.

With 'Abbot's Mead' l have decided to model it in 1963, the main reason l dont fancy trying to paint some of my locos in lined out green (eg the terrier for one), lifes too short to be fiddling around with all that masking ??  l know BR mixed traffic is hard but not as fiddly as southern.

georgeT

• RMweb Gold

If you ever make a planked door (T&G for a cupboard) you will know it has to be that way round for the brace. The problem sometimes comes because some plastic kits use the same moulding for both doors so one is always wrong. A lot of heavy duty planked doors are ledged and braced which means there is a frame round the outside. Much less likely to warp.

Don

Hello Richard, Yes it was a pain to hear that l had put the doors on wrong, but thanks to Stubby47 and others for putting me right, that they are now hanging correct, we learn something everyday.

With 'Abbot's Mead' l have decided to model it in 1963, the main reason l dont fancy trying to paint some of my locos in lined out green (eg the terrier for one), lifes too short to be fiddling around with all that masking ??  l know BR mixed traffic is hard but not as fiddly as southern.

georgeT

I find SR olive livery far easier than BR mixed traffic. The buildings are coming on nicely.

Hi George, Thanks for a wonderful few days, and all the work you have done on Trebudoc buildings, as expected they fitted in a treat.

I am looking forward to seeing Abbotts Mead develope, some great work so far on the buildings mate.

Cheers again, and all the best

Andy.

Enjoyng the videos George, keep em coming!

Never tried DAS before, made plenty of buildings over the years with embossed card, plasticard and brick papers etc. You get some great looking results, will have to give it a go.

Alan

Hello Alan / Andy, Really made a right cock-up with my little plate layer's shed, and l was going to scrap it, but as l started to cut the bricks off which were wrong l discovered you can scrape away the plaster until all the bricks are gone and you can start again.

The front of the shed you can see the plywood where l scrapped too much off, but l think it will be ok when l paint it, ? unless l get Andrew P to paint it for me ?so l got on with the build, and added a chimney, just have to put some more DAS on it.

George

post-7716-0-73573000-1358713459_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-96389100-1358713478_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-92245400-1358713494_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-12657100-1358713512_thumb.jpg

Hi, When Andrew P came up to the grim north and stayed for a few days, he worked a track plan out for 'Abbot's Mead' which inclued a 'Y' point 2 'RH' point's and a 'LH' point, in which l will have a single through line and a short bay platform,and a good's shed and a single track into the shed, away from the station in front of the fiddle yard, also l want a cartridge style fiddle yard,

There will be two tracks, going into the fiddle yard, and today l have managed to make a start on one off them. l like to use strong double-sided tape to stick the track down, l find the sleeper's are far to thick for pin's, plus you don't have hole's everywhere,

George

post-7716-0-19922900-1358714115_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-79871400-1358714143_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-20016300-1358714160_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-93439600-1358714179_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-17228800-1358714197_thumb.jpg

Archived