The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Ravi Shankar has died

PenrithBeacon

• RMweb Gold

Ravi Shankar did so much to make audiences in the 'West' aware of Indian music, and was a breathtakingly wonderful player. A giant of a musician, but I suspect in his case, the music really will live on. Safe journey Mr Shankar and thanks,

Alastair M

Also on the Beeb at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-20690632

I was fortunate enough to see him play at close quarters at a concert in Bahrain about 30 years ago.

One of his daughters is Norah Jones - a 'not many people know that' fact I suspect.

RIP and condolences to his family, a dignified man and great virtuoso.

Just echoing the above - and if anyone thinks they don't "get" that sort of music (as I once thought), find some footage of him in a concert, and just watch, as well as listen to, the interplay between him and his tabla player as the piece builds up.

• RMweb Gold

One of his daughters is Norah Jones - a 'not many people know that' fact I suspect.

I did know about his daughter but until the BBC news item this morning I didn't know he had started as a dancer.

• RMweb Gold

Just echoing the above - and if anyone thinks they don't "get" that sort of music (as I once thought), find some footage of him in a concert, and just watch, as well as listen to, the interplay between him and his tabla player as the piece builds up.

...and his work with diverse talents as George Harrison and Yehudi Menuin.

Archived