Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

I think it's getting to be a bit of an obsession...

Norm81

Just earlier I had a check to see what was in my stockboxes and did a quick roundup (excuse the cat's blanket...):

noddingdonkeys.jpg

Then there's the spare set of Choc & Cream and Provincial bodies and not to mention the numerous plain black spare bodies, underframes, seats, motors (inc the one for the unboxed choc & cream one)...

I'm waiting for SWMBO to ask if I'm trying to collect enough to represent the whole 96 in the class! Safe bet noone else on here owns more of them than me?

On the hunt for a cheapo Dapol 150 so I can cut 'n' shut 4 bodyshells onto it and make a class 146 (halfway between 142 and 150).

I'm not mad, the voices in my head tell me so. :crazy:

There is nothing wrong with a few Nodding Donkeys....particularly model ones.

One of the garish GMPTE orange ones seems to be not present though!

True, I have stuck to those liveries that were seen round my way in the 80's/early 90's, so no GMPTE / Merseyrail or post-privatisation.

I don't even mind the 12" to 1' variety, was on 096 twice yesterday, maybe that just shows how bad the buses/roads round here are though...

The mid afternoon 142 from York to Newcastle up the ECML was quite often the highlight of my bashing, back when Northern Spirit was the TOC, I may be wrong but I did show a unit reaching 81 on one of the runs, although it did sound like it was going to get airbourne.

My lords!!!!!

I think I have a load of pictures somewhere, but I know for a fact that I have a sound recording of that run, must upload to youtube....

<snip>

I think I have a load of pictures somewhere, but I know for a fact that I have a sound recording of that run, must upload to youtube....

If you find the pictures I'm always looking for more reference material.

I have a similar problem with peaks and baby deltics.

I guess we all have our favourites :)

• RMweb Gold

must admit i used to have all the livery Hornby variations of the pacer pus a few others i repainted into first north western and merseyrail livery , so at one point i had 10 of them

i used to quite like driving the real thing, had to have your wits about you to stop where you wanted to during leaf fall

• RMweb Gold

they seemed quite appealing when they first came out (along with the 141's which were even more esoteric) -

-seemed very new of course and quick of the mark compared to the old DMU's, they lost the appeal I think when they had the gearboxes changed - admittedly they were very unreliable- but seemed quite lively/interesting ride in the original spec. 

Appaling on longer journeys and particularly where the route was jointed track - travelling W yorks to Morecambe/Lancaster or Carlisle particularly unpleasant:

- http://www.johndarm.clara.net/Resources/96sc.jpg

link is admittably a 144 but they were interchangeable in West Yorks Metro & surrounding areas!

regards the models: has anyone ever attempted the more recent trend in doors the 4 panel doors were only relevant I think to the BR original liveries- and 143/144 style 2 panels fitted to most possibly around the time of the transmission mods? The later livery Hornby units are def. wrong on this count?

• RMweb Gold

t

regards the models: has anyone ever attempted the more recent trend in doors the 4 panel doors were only relevant I think to the BR original liveries- and 143/144 style 2 panels fitted to most possibly around the time of the transmission mods? The later livery Hornby units are def. wrong on this count?

all i did with my models was cut the centre leaf out of the each existing door, looked effective enough

Erm I have a few...142's not sure exactly but I have fifteen Branchline motorising kits with EM BB wheelsets and loads of other bits...to get added one day

Ian

I think I might fit the High Level Kits Pacemaker motor kits to mine, only one per 2 car set though, don't think the Branchlines ones are available anymore.

Been watching a RR livery one on eBay but I think it's going to go above what I'll pay.

• RMweb Premium

They have started to go for silly money on Ebay for some reason now, annoying as I fancied picking up a couple of cheap ones to redo into First Great Western dealer stock plain blue with grey roof at some point.  Don't need to worry about transfers other than numbers for that livery!!

• RMweb Gold

just found these pics going way back into my photobucket album, a coulpe of 142s i repainted back in 2003 or so

142fnwweathered.jpg

142arrivawales.jpg

obsession wise, this is part if my old lima collection above my old layout, sold it on ebay just before the bottom fell out of the market luckily

also slightly obsessed by long matching rakes of wagons it would seem, unfortunatly circumstances change so all those rakes have now gone due to redundancy, kids etc, wish i still had the EWS coal hoppers, RMC hoppers and MEA's

Picture_1864.jpg

They have started to go for silly money on Ebay for some reason now, annoying as I fancied picking up a couple of cheap ones to redo into First Great Western dealer stock plain blue with grey roof at some point.  Don't need to worry about transfers other than numbers for that livery!!

I know, I saw a couple for £50+ which is madness imho. I wanted a second RR one but let it go as it went for £59!

Archived