Plastic wagon kits for iron and steel works.

RT Models produce some white metal kits relating to iron and steel manufacturing (slag wagons etc.) Does anybody make any similar plastic wagon kits relating to the production of iron and steel ? I thought I had seen such things in the past but I cannot locate them now.

When most internal steelworks traffic was moved by rail, the purpose-built wagons, such as slag ladles, ingot-mould carriers and so on were normally in a minority. Most movements of scrap, semi-finished product and so on would be in ex-mainline vehicles. Sometimes, these were wagons destined for scrapping, which would run, as bought, until the body was scrap itself, then rebodied if the underframe was sound enough. On other occasions, main-line stock would be 'borrowed' until someone noticed it was missing- pre-TOPS, this could be a very long time for something like a 16-tonner.

Paul Bartlett's site has several albums dedicated to rail activity in steelworks; to add to the vehicles he shows, I would add a couple from the former Llanelly Steelworks (later Duport) site:-

ex-SR Bulleid Pacific tenders, bodies removed to, as ingot carriers. The middle axles were removed fairly quickly, due to issues with the curves on site.

ex-Shell-Mex-BP 14t tank wagons, with the top half of the barrel removed, to give a 'bathtub' shaped scrap carrier- they weren't repainted, so the bottom half of the lettering was still very evident.

Wagons to carry finished or semi-finished product would often have the corners picked out in yellow or white to allow crane-drivers to see where to load in the dust-laden atmosphere of the loading bays.

Most works had wagon repair and fabrication facilities, where new bodies could be built, and even drastic modifications to chassis carried out.

There are photographs and a few drawings in

Monk-Steel, David (2005) Industrial wagons: An introduction. Publ by Industrial Railway Society, 100 pages ISBN 1 901556 33 6.

My photographs are findable in this gallery http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/industrialinternalwagons

There is a Yahoo group for steel works http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Rustfans/ If you look back through the messages there may be information about kits being available.

Paul Bartlett

RT Models produce some white metal kits relating to iron and steel manufacturing (slag wagons etc.) Does anybody make any similar plastic wagon kits relating to the production of iron and steel ? I thought I had seen such things in the past but I cannot locate them now.

I'd be very tempted by a airbrake-fitted 9F with eight or nine 56 ton iron ore wagons:

http://www.scalefour.../rolling-stock/

(There are other -- more humdrum -- ore trucks on Dave's list).

The three main suppliers are all US based, Walthers, STD and Rix. The later make ingot bogies which are easy enough to scratch build.

Walthers make a short torpedo ladle and a Pollock type slag car, both, the latter in particular, are well suited to UK operations. Here are a couple of my slag ladles.

post-6861-0-44709800-1356200386.jpg

post-6861-0-57437400-1356200397.jpg

I fitted plate frame bogies to one, and diamond frame bogies to the other, both from Cambrian. Those, and buffers, are about the only changes needed to anglicise them .As has been said, though actually HO, they look fine against 4mm stock.

STD make a couple of variants of hot metal car, here's the Kling type;

post-6861-0-48875900-1356200409.jpg

post-6861-0-61651100-1356200420.jpg

Nice kits, they require a bit more work to anglicise them. One of Steve's links shows the open topped ladle variant. Either are suited to the UK.

Unless it's been changed, the Plastruct kit contains the trucks but the body is built from a selection of provided standard Plastruct tubes, cones and sections. A bit more work is involved than a normal kit.

• 4 months later...

Very nice work Brian, they've come out really well. Well worth all the time and effort that you have put in.

Thanks Arthur. The lighting is a bit dark and it does not show the rusty metal effect. I probably should have used the flash but the photos always seem a bit too bright with the flash (and too dark without it).

• 4 months later...

Archived