Is there a surprising lack of RTR GWR Coaches?

Another fine example of restoration on the Severn Valley Railway... GWR Collett Brake Third Open Excursion Carriage 650. This is the latest GWR restoration at the SVR. Looks beautiful and the interior is just as amazing. Hopefully won't be long before I can get some better photos of 650...

21287110129_de05a4b37b_c.jpg

Another fine example of restoration on the Severn Valley Railway... GWR Collett Brake Third Open Excursion Carriage 650. This is the latest GWR restoration at the SVR. Looks beautiful and the interior is just as amazing. Hopefully won't be long before I can get some better photos of 650...

21287110129_de05a4b37b_c.jpg

It is an unusual coach this one. It always intrigued me why would any company build excursion stock during the war? Also as it was not built until 1940, at a time when coaches were being painted in overall brown, why was this coach, and the other to this diagram, 651, appear just as the SVR have painted it, in chocolate and cream? 247 Developments used to produce a set of sides for this one that could be fitted to the Bachmann body. I have a spare set of them if anyone fancies a go at this coach.

Mike Wiltshire

Billed as Excursion Stock yes, but they would still have been very useful during the war with perhaps more room for military bags and equipment. There was sometimes long lead times and these coaches could have been slotted for production before the worst effects of war were felt in the UK. There is a noticeable list of cancelled orders following these Lots. Brown & Cream paint would have been bought in by Stores for months ahead and applied to coaches until it ran out or until air raids caused second thoughts at high levels.

Archived