Is there a surprising lack of RTR GWR Coaches?

• RMweb Premium

When I look for GWR RTR coaches from Hornby/Bachmann (in particular) and others, I'm always surprised on how little choice I have in terms of variety. Bachmann has the Collett coaches and Hornby has the Hawkesworth coaches, but they are mostly all 1st/3rd composites and brake coaches. I know that Hornby are coming out with surburban coaches and an autocoach next year.

Interesting observation.

I think that the types of carriage behind such as a 'Star' class in pre-war years for say a West-of-England express would be lovely, and wonder which would be most likely for RTR production. The Bachmann Colletts dont really look too flash to my eyes.

For even older GWR trains I wonder if the Hornby celestories would have any authenticity?

Rob

Hi All,

The Hornby clerestories are not based on any particular prototype as such or are only loosely associated to a diagram I believe but can be converted to recognisable prototypes with a little imagination. The use of etched sides on these or cut and shut can get you a long way. I am sure that the likes of Miss P. and Buffalo will give you the chapter & verse when they get here!

What coaches are Hornby doing next year? I don't remember seeing anything about them recently ( or I might be just being a dozy so and so as per usual!).

All the best,

Castle

• RMweb Gold

A decent range of proper GWR coaches is long overdue as the Hornby Hawksworth don't fill the void for the period.Perhaps they will follow after the release of the Star class and other GWR Castles.

What coaches are Hornby doing next year? I don't remember seeing anything about them recently ( or I might be just being a dozy so and so as per usual!).

All the best,

Castle

What Hornby have announced is a re-release of their Airfix B sets and Autocaoch held over from this years catalogue. Regrettably it neither are new toolings

Hi All,

I am surprised that the Hawksworth Autocoach wasn't one of the ones done in that batch of coaches that Hornby produced recently. It wouldn't have interfered with the Collett version (as it could be a railroad item and the Dart Castings kit will do a nice detail job on it). I don't expect we will see that any time soon now though.

It really is a case of building kits as far as most accurate GWR coaches in OO are concerned.

All the best,

Castle

Given the Hawksworths aren't really 'GWR' in strict time period, yes, there is a surprising lack of RTR GWR coaches, the only decent offerings being first produced by Mainline and Airfix in the '80s.

Thanks for that link. I had forgotten about the Hornby 'Centenary' coaches of which I once had a few. Those 1938 Colletts by Bachmann also...  but it may well be a safe area for personal carriage building... toplights and bow-ends,   choke, gasp!

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Hi All,

It really is a case of building kits as far as most accurate GWR coaches in OO are concerned.

All the best,

Castle

Yes at the moment but I find my RTR engines struggle with a rake of say Comet coaches.

Would welcome some toplights with open arms.

Those Bachmann Colletts were good in their day and must be 30 years old from Mainline tooling.

Those Bachmann Colletts were good in their day and must be 30 years old from Mainline tooling.

And Bachmann modified the original tooling to make them LESS accurate. The windows are smaller on the later ones compared to the original Mainline - altered for production reasons I am told.

Mike Wiltshire

My abiding memory of trips from Cardiff to Barry Island as a child was of long trains pulled by Prairies of non corridor stock.

I wish somebody would produce GWR non corridor coaches!

For GWR non-corridor stock you can make a fairly representative range by putting Comet sides over a B-set body. For improved accuracy you might want to adjust the vents to suit the new diagram. They are only £10 a pair.

http://www.cometmodels.co.uk/modules/viewcategory.php/GWR%20Coach%20Kits%20and%20Sides

Off the top of my head you should be able to get away with the following diagrams.

W21 Third Non-gangwayed-Bow end C61/63 60' 1930

W22 Composite Non-g.wayed-Bow end E141 60' 1930

W23 Brake Third Non gangwayed Bow end D109 60' 1930

Going of what is available, there isn't a lot of joined up thinking at either Bachmann or Hornby. Hornby's SR M7 needs a push pull set of pre-group or Mansell origins, Bachmanns LMS Ivatt 2-6-2T needs a push pull driving trailer. Hornby's passenger tender engines need 1923-29 bow-ended Collett coaches including a Diner, Hornby's Gresley corridor coaches need a Diner as does the LMS Stanier range and so-on. Maybe one day perhaps....

• RMweb Gold

Both the Slaters Toplight and non-corridor Clerestory plastic kits appearto be back on the market:

http://shop.cooper-craft.co.uk/index.php?cPath=60_67&osCsid=k9781khntq4cghth14rqm145c2

I wonder if I started building one someone would announce a rtr version to be released soon.

Not much detail given on whats in the D74 57' Toplight box by Coopercraft.

For GWR non-corridor stock you can make a fairly representative range by putting Comet sides over a B-set body. For improved accuracy you might want to adjust the vents to suit the new diagram. They are only £10 a pair.

http://www.cometmodels.co.uk/modules/viewcategory.php/GWR%20Coach%20Kits%20and%20Sides

Off the top of my head you should be able to get away with the following diagrams.

W21 Third Non-gangwayed-Bow end C61/63 60' 1930

W22 Composite Non-g.wayed-Bow end E141 60' 1930

W23 Brake Third Non gangwayed Bow end D109 60' 1930

Thanks for the info Karhedron,

Regrettably building such kits is well beyond my skill set  :(

Regards,

Dave

Both the Slaters Toplight and non-corridor Clerestory plastic kits appearto be back on the market:

http://shop.cooper-craft.co.uk/index.php?cPath=60_67&osCsid=k9781khntq4cghth14rqm145c2

That's a good sign even if there's obviously more work to be done on the Cooper Craft web site. With luck, we may eventually see some of the Blacksmith brass kits. Neither will help those looking for RTR solutions but it's probably the only way we'll get any early 20th or late 19th century coaches.

Nick

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that.

I wonder if I started building one someone would announce a rtr version to be released soon.

Not much detail given on whats in the D74 57' Toplight box by Coopercraft.

Hi Rob, I have made two of the Toplights, which are both very nice carriages. The kit from Slaters used to include everything you need (apart from the usual paint & glue!).

Has anyone made the Clerestory carriages? They also look good, but I've no first hand experience! Ages ago, I tried the Blacksmith Clerestory sleeper, but did not get on very well with the roof.

• RMweb Gold

What period is the D47 57' version suitable for and what are the destructions like in these kits .

Any photos Neal ?

Theres confusion over the diagram number of these as the Coopercraft website says D74 but this old ebay listing photo says D47.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Slaters-GWR-57-Toplight-Brake-Third-Coach-/160887934610?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2575ab0e92&nma=true&si=G5DUG%2BqePtE6oDsGpjVE%2FA0TtB0%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Archived