Is there a surprising lack of RTR GWR Coaches?

• RMweb Premium

57 foot Colletts - Very nice!

Two questions :-

1. Which GWR livery? (several possibilities here)

2. where do I find £240 for the set?

When you find the answer to question 2, please let me know!

So as Hornby are working backwards from Hawksworth to Collett, what comes next? Some Deans with real mouldings would be very nice, including some convertibles that could be converted to broad gauge. Going back even further would be even better, but maybe wishing for too much! Forget the Toplights, as they're boring in comparison!!!

No one has to buy the lot. One would be lucky to find a whole train of 57' bow-enders at any period in railway history. The GW was known for its untidy train consists.....Only collectors, it seems, want tidy non prototypical trains. :no:

No one has to buy the lot. One would be lucky to find a whole train of 57' bow-enders at any period in railway history. The GW was known for its untidy train consists.....Only collectors, it seems, want tidy non prototypical trains. :no:

I totally agree. When researching the Great Western In the 1930's books, the authors found just ONE train out of the many hundreds of images that contained only 57ft stock. A Hall, siphon G, then five 57ft Collett's. This was so unusual that the image was used in the books. Out of my personal collection of 1930's GWR trains I have no images at all containing just 1925 stock.

Hornby are producing just three types. There were also three compartment brakes, brake compos, full brakes etc that do appear with the numerous all thirds seen so frequently.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Premium

I totally agree. When researching the Great Western In the 1930's books, the authors found just ONE train out of the many hundreds of images that contained only 57ft stock. A Hall, siphon G, then five 57ft Collett's. This was so unusual that the image was used in the books. Out of my personal collection of 1930's GWR trains I have no images at all containing just 1925 stock.

Hornby are producing just three types. There were also three compartment brakes, brake compos, full brakes etc that do appear with the numerous all thirds seen so frequently.

Mike Wiltshire

Small or large tendered Hall?

Wow, the pre-production smaple looks quite good. Methinks a few of these might make it into the valleys in 1929 on a rugby match special (wioth the odd clerestory thrown in for good measure). Especially if they do the fully panelled out livery (please Mr Hornby).

• RMweb Gold

57 foot Colletts - Very nice!

Two questions :-

1. Which GWR livery? (several possibilities here)

2. where do I find £240 for the set?

1a. Which BR livery? (some possibilities here also)

Small or large tendered Hall?

Large tender Hall, roundel on the tender, laterer batch with fireiron tunnel 5921 onwards, followed by outside framed Siphon G, D95 R/H, E127 L/H, E127 R/H. C54, D95 L/H. The entire train can be made from Hornby next year.

Mike Wiltshire

• 3 months later...

One word... beautiful

21298857516_fd9829ab05_c.jpg

21325106385_81a657c5a5_c.jpg

Both available as Kit / sides if you want a go yourself. Note the top coach, a C32, is actually steel sided and the paneling is painted on. Personally I am a total coward and went for simple livery. C32 available from Worsley works and can be fitted to a shortend Bachmann Collett with glue assembly bogies from David Geen. Anorak moment -  unlikely the coach would have been fitted with the short end steps to the bogie when painted in this livery in GW days.

post-9992-0-95605200-1442302421_thumb.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

Edit - I believe 'Nonedescript' was a Great Western coaching term for no class. It was a private hire vehicle and was not classified as either first or third class.

I am intrigued by the photos of the real coaches and presume they on the Severn Valley Ryl.? I ask because I remember the nondescript in GWR 1912-22 full panelled maroon but I wasn't aware of the toplight. They look absolutely superb and show how far preservation has come over the years when vehicles can be turned out like this. I think Hornby would find it worthwhile testing the market with one of their new Collett's in 1923-28 livery as a special edition. Even priced at something like £75.00, this is a fraction of the price we coach builders have to charge.

I am intrigued by the photos of the real coaches and presume they on the Severn Valley Ryl.? I ask because I remember the nondescript in GWR 1912-22 full panelled maroon but I wasn't aware of the toplight. They look absolutely superb and show how far preservation has come over the years when vehicles can be turned out like this.

You're right coachmann, 3930 and 9055 reside on the Severn Valley Railway and are owned by the GW(SVR) Association. Correct again on 9055, it was originally returned to traffic in 1986 in lined crimson lake livery with hand painted garter crests. There is also a GWR Toplight Full Third 2426 which resides at Hampton Loade and is currently used as staff accommodation. Hopefully it won't be long before 2426 does receive the full overhaul it deserves...

These are my favourite carriages on the SVR and their interiors are just as majestic. Whenever I look at 3930 and 9055, I do keep wishing that someday soon the Toplights will be announced by someone.

There is a Trust set up on the WSR to restore GWR Top Light Coaches they have several on the line.

http://www.wssrt.co.uk/ The trust was set up to run the steam trains along the coast during the summer before the WSR gave up the idea of running the commuter trains into Taunton Station, and decided to run the steam trains them selves. There are 10 toplight and is nearly 50% of all survives are on the WSR. 

Archived