Is there a surprising lack of RTR GWR Coaches?

• RMweb Gold

I'm pretty sure it's one of the Saloons in that pic David, by 1964 there wasn't anything else on the WR like them! They were kept back in carriage shed at Old Oak for special occasions, sometimes being added to the Royal Train if needed.

They were also regulars on the Newbury races 'Members' train (cor that's going back - 3 specials every race meeting day from Paddington for the Newbury race meetings all with specially bulled up engines even into the early diesel era although standards in that area did fall of a bit in later years).

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Building kits is beyond everyone's skillset until they do it for the first time. ;)

That is why I suggested sticking the etched sides on some Hornby B-sets. You don't need to build a whole coach, just paint the sides and attatch them to the existing bodyshell (after opening out the windows). I have done the same in N gauge. It is much easier than building a full kit but is a good way to build some useful modelling experience.

But you have to be careful which coach sides you pick because some are bow ended and some are not.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I think they'll come. IIRC, Hornby have worked their way though new corridor stock for all of the big four: the LNER Gresleys, the SR Maunsells, the LMS Staniers and the GWR Hawksworths. Now we see them picking their way through non-corridor stock: the LNER Gresleys and Thompsons, the SR Push-Pull set, and now the LMS Stanier non-corridors. Is it therefore that unreasonable to expect some Collett non-corridor stock in Hornby's 2016 announcements? 

It's also pretty evident that Bachman are almost mid-way through a cycle of kicking-out new carriage fleets for each of the big four. We've seen the LMS Portholes, the LNER Thompson corridors are due next year, and then there are the perennial rumours of re-tooled Bullied corridor stock. Thus can we expect re-tooled GWR Sunshine stock by 2017 or so: hopefully with a wider range of diagrams?

Finally, I think there's a reasonable chance of seeing some come through as a commission from someone like Kernow or Hattons. As the pool of un-modelled GWR loco's dries up, perhaps attention will turn to coaching stock. We can but hope!

Cheers, 

CoY

Finally, I think there's a reasonable chance of seeing some come through as a commission from someone like Kernow or Hattons. As the pool of un-modelled GWR loco's dries up, perhaps attention will turn to coaching stock. We can but hope!

Cheers, 

CoY

I too would have thought that a commission of coaches would be ideal due to the lack of choice of rtr GWR coaches compared to the wide variety of prototypes produced.

However Dave Jones (our friend at DJM) has stated several times that there is not the margins on coaches compared to locomotives and they require a large amount of research and specific tooling.  Therefore I feel that unfortunately coaches are not really viable except from a major manufacturer.  

My guess is Hornby to announce Churchward Toplights next year. 

• RMweb Premium

I too would have thought that a commission of coaches would be ideal due to the lack of choice of rtr GWR coaches compared to the wide variety of prototypes produced.

However Dave Jones (our friend at DJM) has stated several times that there is not the margins on coaches compared to locomotives and they require a large amount of research and specific tooling.  Therefore I feel that unfortunately coaches are not really viable except from a major manufacturer.  

My guess is Hornby to announce Churchward Toplights next year. 

We live in the hope that some one will and preferably accurate.

• RMweb Premium

...... there is not the margins on coaches compared to locomotives .......

Depends on how much you sell them for.... To think carriages have gone from £15 to £50 in about 5 years(?)

Locos have pushed through the £100 barrier and progressive new models are coming in at £150...

How much would you pay for a carriage? Even at £50 several rakes of new toplights (with various different diagrams) come it at a hefty sum....

But of course in trying to build up a rake of carriages, any manufacturer would have to allow the stock to stay in production over a long time (maybe a couple of years) and these days that just does not seem to happen. Even the Hawkesworths, only were around for a short while and have not been re-issued. Although of course Bachmann do seem to keep producing the BR Mark 1 carriage, maybe its only Hornby that have limited supplies....

So at a discount price of (say) £50 you have to have deep pockets and then be quick to get two rakes... even more so when operating a large layout and you want 4 or 5 carriage trains.... 

• 3 weeks later...

Dunno 'bout you but I can't wait to fork out fifteen of your finest English pounds for a model of a fictitious four-wheeled coach popped from a 40-year-old mould, with cutting-edge raised lining, absolutely no GWR markings on it whatsoever, and complete without those nasty, fiddly, NEM couplings that we all hate so much.

£15...  :O

Having just bored myself by scrolling through 93 pages of Rails of Sheffield's eBay shop to see what they have for sale, those wondering about the availability of more GWR or WR coaches might be interested to know that there are quite a few Hawksworth coaches going second hand (and more than a few Maunsell coaches as well).  If Hornby reps asked the likes of Rails what sells, they might point out what stock they have for sale.

On the other hand, what I was looking for was Hornby Stanier coaches (the latest ones) and there are none for sale new or second hand.  Clearly this as imprecise a way to determine demand for a product as those who've added their "Nothing for me" to the recent Hornby announcements but I pass it on so that anyone wondering why there are no GW or WR may wish to bear in mind that they just might be a minority.

Happy Christmas!

Stan

Having just bored myself by scrolling through 93 pages of Rails of Sheffield's eBay shop to see what they have for sale, those wondering about the availability of more GWR or WR coaches might be interested to know that there are quite a few Hawksworth coaches going second hand (and more than a few Maunsell coaches as well).  If Hornby reps asked the likes of Rails what sells, they might point out what stock they have for sale.

On the other hand, what I was looking for was Hornby Stanier coaches (the latest ones) and there are none for sale new or second hand.  Clearly this as imprecise a way to determine demand for a product as those who've added their "Nothing for me" to the recent Hornby announcements but I pass it on so that anyone wondering why there are no GW or WR may wish to bear in mind that they just might be a minority.

Happy Christmas!

Stan

Well, considering that Hawksworth coaches are useless unless you are modelling the last year of the GWR or later (BR(WR)), there might be a reason why the GWR modellers are complaining about a lack of coaches. A 1930s GWR modeller can reasonably use some of the Staniers or the Maunsells on cross-country trains, but they can't use Hawksworths. You can't judge the popularity of GWR coaches based on sales when there are no sales to use as a comparison. 

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

Well, considering that Hawksworth coaches are useless unless you are modelling the last year of the GWR or later (BR(WR)), there might be a reason why the GWR modellers are complaining about a lack of coaches. A 1930s GWR modeller can reasonably use some of the Staniers or the Maunsells on cross-country trains, but they can't use Hawksworths. You can't judge the popularity of GWR coaches based on sales when there are no sales to use as a comparison. 

Adrian

Agree absolutely and there is another reason for the glut of Hawksworth coaches - after very good sales figures with the first batch Hornby desperately over-produced on the second batch with the result that they have been flogging them off cheap at various times ever since (except in High Street concessions)

I think the reason we got the Hawksworths (which are very useful to me of course) was because of the way they kept on scoring in wishlists and the simplicity they offered for a manufacturer looking for 'a GWR coach'.   The jungle which is GWR coaching stock must present quite a headache for a manufacturer and the continued shouting for Toplights probably doesn't help because of the changes they underwent over the years - for example produce Toplights suitable for 1930s condition and folk like me are unlikely to buy them as are folk modelling their early days.  The GW coaches which stand the best chance of commercial success are probably various types of Collett stock from the late 1920s/1930s which had a longish life well into BR days but suit several periods of GWR livery, and until the weight of wishlist voting and other lobbying settles in that sort of area I reckon we can carry on whistling for GWR coaches.

If Hornby were to produce "toplights" I don't think the alterations that occurred over the years (plating over the toplights, panelling etc) would bother them in the least. A company that can produce Hawksworths in GWR livery which many of them never carried and a LNER buffet car in Blue and Grey (ignoring the many alterations made to that coach by that time), is not going to be bothered by a few detail variations over the years.

Actually I think we have more chance of Bachmann doing toplights then Hornby, they seem a little more adventurous - look at the upcoming birdcage stock.

Or perhaps we all need to put our money we're our mouths are and crowd fund some GWR coaches - but I think DJM is going to a bit busy at the moment.

Archived