Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

East West rail, Bletchley to oxford line

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just read that all services are suspended on the Bletchley to Bedford branch from tomorrow until further notice as a result of VivaRail going into administration.

What a pickle, bring back the 105s and 104s!

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

55 minutes ago, 08221 said:

Just read that all services are suspended on the Bletchley to Bedford branch from tomorrow until further notice as a result of VivaRail going into administration.

The line was run by a 150 & 153 before the recycled District Line tortoises were introduced.

I don't suppose loco haulage is an option?

• Like 3

On 15/11/2022 at 21:57, Pete the Elaner said:

Making good progress there.

How long before a modeller makes a DCC operated tipper wagon. I am not sure I could do it.

Might be tricky to make a DCC-operated tipper wagon, as there isn't really anywhere in the wagon to hide the mechanism (at least not in a model).

However it might be possible to have a servo linkage (or even, a rack and pinion mechanism) coming up from under the baseboard to top the wagon, especially if it tipped towards the viewer.

• Like 3

I still have my Trix operating tipping wagon, now probably 65 years old.  An electromagnet between the rails actuated the tipping mechanism.   I wonder if an electrically operated tension lock uncoupler could be used to operate a tipping linkage?

We also owned the German outline 2-4-2 tank engine with remote controlled uncoupling at both ends.  Another operating feature not yet available on any British RTR even with DCC. 

4 hours ago, 08221 said:

Is there no provision for an "operator of last resort"?

48 minutes ago, 2750Papyrus said:

Is there no provision for an "operator of last resort"?

I don't think the problem is the operator, as much as that Vivarail maintain the units and if they're not maintained, they can't be used in service.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 25/11/2022 at 16:46, Tony Teague said:

At the former site of Swanbourne Station both tracks are in place with ballast laid, although the nearest (east => west) track does not appear to have beem tamped:

SJP_T3A622702221124.jpg.55c12b749e3ad253ea6ad0ef4054c975.jpg

Is Swanbourne bridge open yet?

DF094809-B590-402B-A68C-D56717D37FDE.jpeg

The footbridge ringed red (12A) is definitely open, I went over it on Monday, and I’m 99% sure the one ringed blue is open too, although I haven’t been right up to it. Both road bridges are open, but the track/byway is still closed from the red ring down to the road near the former station site, because the works compound there is still in use.

My now ancient rant that the byway doesn’t need to be closed, because riders and walkers could safely be allowed to cross the works road out of the compound, and that the diversion along roads via Mursley village puts them in more danger, is getting worn out, so I’ll only repeat it once (today).

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, rodent279 said:

Is Swanbourne bridge open yet?

The only route currently closed between Winslow and Bletchley is the Whaddon Road - Newton Longville, which should be lifted some time this month. Their is some small plant by the Whaddon Road - Mursley, that looks to be final landscaping for handing back land used during the reconstruction works...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Davexoc said:

The only route currently closed between Winslow and Bletchley is the Whaddon Road - Newton Longville, which should be lifted some time this month. Their is some small plant by the Whaddon Road - Mursley, that looks to be final landscaping for handing back land used during the reconstruction works...

Came through Mursley en route to MK last evening and judging by the cars coming off the Newton Longville Road at Bottle Dump roundabout that the road may be open again.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ray H said:

Came through Mursley en route to MK last evening and judging by the cars coming off the Newton Longville Road at Bottle Dump roundabout that the road may be open again.

It was still closed yesterday morning when I passed, but I suppose they may have broken up for Christmas now.......

1 hour ago, JeffP said:

Bottle Dump roundabout?

Sounds like a WW1 battlefield name.

The site has some history, but nowadays it is more of a traffic warfare site, where the impatient ones are jockeying for position as the dual carriageway ends on leaving MK and heads west towards Buckingham by lane swapping and trying to beat one HGV only to get stuck behind another.....

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, 2750Papyrus said:

But you can be 5 minutes quicker to Buckingham without HGVs in front of you!

Providing you don't meet up with one or more of Mr Tuckwell's extensive agricultural fleet or any of the various (especially school) buses and coaches either...

Buckingham is quite a thriving little place now, university and lots of new housing, but I remember the first time I went there, c40 years ago when I first moved to MK, and it was very evident indeed that life had left it behind c1820. Very much a forgotten and not very prosperous backwater then.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1