Lincoln St Marks re-work OO Gauge Layout Project

steadtheimp

Hi everyone this is going to take me a while to get made up but it going to be Lincoln St Marks but with a twist, I'm going to be putting 2 bay platforms were the turntable used to be which if anyone knows is now where Argos goods bay is now, because of St marks station being the site of a retail park but in my eyes St Marks should never have been closed they could of re-directed the tracks from Doncaster and Sheffield into St Marks and add 2 or 3 bay platforms but to help with track laying for the bay platforms another bridge could of been put in next to the original track bridge into the station and yes i will be putting the river under both bridges.

The way I'm going to do the track work is to have a run round so's that i can have 4 DMU's 2 on each of the platforms and still be able to get the DMU at the buffers out and past the one at the front or have any steam train using the bay platform to run round the carriages and to be turned then put back to run back out the right way round.

I'm hoping it will all fit into the size I've got which is ether 11ft x 10ft or if we move bedrooms 16ft x 10ft.

I also have my own YouTube channel which if you click on the link below or copy and paste it you will be able to have a look.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MadonTrains83

bye for now

Adam

• RMweb Premium

As St Marks is partly the basis of my own (un-realised) musings, I'll be very interested to see how this develops.  Bays are an obvious addition to increase the operational potential, but in most of my schemes are inspired by the short bays at the east end of Central without runround facilities.  You could of course also extend the station sidings to form through roads and allow running round in the main platforms.

What era are you modelling?

BTW, in case you haven't already found them, these pages contain useful information for anyone interested in the lines around Lincoln:

http://www.photrek.co.uk/romintro.html

http://www.roscalen.com/signals/Lincoln/index.htm

I am glad that people think the same as me about St Marks.

As well as doing the bay platforms I'm thinking of changing the 2 tracks in the middle that used to be used as carriage storage to through lines and have 4 tracks going over what would be the high street and then out with possible run round and into a brake and then to fiddle yard or not bother with the brake and go into a small goods yard/the old TMD/steam shed and the era will be a mix of all era's hopefully but I'm not going to be putting the old over roof as it means I've got to take the canopy off the mainline station which mite make it look a mess as I've already got them on but i will hopefully get the planning part started its been a busy time for me with work done more shifts then I had hoped but there we go.

Hope that answers all your questions so far any more please do ask away.

Bye for now

Adam

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone sorry its been a while since my last post its been a busy time for me since the new year, but i also got the size wrong in my first post its not going to be 16ft x 10ft its going to be 16ft x 4ft or maybe 5 or 6 ft at the left hand side to have space for the bay platforms which you will see I've finally got round to doing my plans on Hornby virtual railway 2 (HVR2) and AnyRail free download but with AnyRail I've not been able to do the bay platforms as you will see below but I'm going to have another go soon though as you will see below.

St Marks plan AR

And the other thing that gets me is that you can only use 50 bits of track with the free download which is why I've only got done what you see in the pic but this plan was done on the base of 16ft x 4ft which at the moment isn't leaving much room for the bay platforms.  But as you will see on the next pic I've somehow managed to fit it all in on a 16ft x 5ft base with a fiddle yard or change it to a goods yard on the bottom left side as you will see below.

St Marks plan HVR2

This one is from HVR2 as you can see the platform has gaps in it on the main platforms which is where I've put the river going under to show where abouts it will be I've also put a level crossing in on the other end to show that its the high street end, as you will also see I've put the run round in the bay platforms but its not how its going to look when I do it on AnyRail or even do it myself when I've got all my boards but I'll have ago at doing that on another day off.

But for now let me know what you think so far and any ideas will be welcome.

Bye for now

Adam

Hi everyone sorry its been a while since my last post its been a busy time for me since the new year, but i also got the size wrong in my first post its not going to be 16ft x 10ft its going to be 16ft x 4ft or maybe 5 or 6 ft at the left hand side to have space for the bay platforms which you will see I've finally got round to doing my plans on Hornby virtual railway 2 (HVR2) and AnyRail free download but with AnyRail I've not been able to do the bay platforms as you will see below but I'm going to have another go soon though as you will see below.

And the other thing that gets me is that you can only use 50 bits of track with the free download which is why I've only got done what you see in the pic but this plan was done on the base of 16ft x 4ft which at the moment isn't leaving much room for the bay platforms.  But as you will see on the next pic I've somehow managed to fit it all in on a 16ft x 5ft base with a fiddle yard or change it to a goods yard on the bottom left side as you will see below.

This one is from HVR2 as you can see the platform has gaps in it on the main platforms which is where I've put the river going under to show where abouts it will be I've also put a level crossing in on the other end to show that its the high street end, as you will also see I've put the run round in the bay platforms but its not how its going to look when I do it on AnyRail or even do it myself when I've got all my boards but I'll have ago at doing that on another day off.

But for now let me know what you think so far and any ideas will be welcome.

Bye for now

Adam

Adam

It's well worth getting the full Any Rail 5 version, I have used it for planning my own layout & on my queries on here such as http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/66015-well-its-a-starting-point-layout/page-2

AnyRail is fairly intuitive to learn, a great aid

Hi,

Having lived in Saxilby (6 miles out of Lincoln) in the 80's, I spent many times seeing my grandparents off at St Marks as they always came by train to visit us (They lived in Hertfordshire).

When the station closed, I was lucky enough to be able to salvage a couple of station signs (with permission of course!).

Looking forward to seeing this one develop!

Best regards,

Jeremy

• RMweb Premium

Superb linked web sites mate. Thanks for those.

The 'old' Lincoln railway infrastructure was a bit run down but so full of interest; just look at the second and third  pics on the second linked site - fabulous.

P @ 36E (just across the Trent!!)

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone sorry I've not posted in awhile was busy working and not had a chance to do much but now i have sadly lost my job but still got the railway going but at a big stand still at the mo but I've got a few interviews lined up so hopefully i can get back on with things again soon :O :cray_mini2:

Bye for now

From Adam

• 1 month later...

Well i've planned the layout abit better and good news is that i'm now going to be doing it at 16 foot by 9 foot, everything i've been thinking of will fit on at the moment but i'm deffo going with having the 2 track's in the middle going across the high street, because the way i'm thinking for this layout is that its what i think St Marks would look like or possiblely be like if Lincoln Central had been closed and St Marks left open and had more then one train a day to London with full lengeth HST/Intercity trains because to that could of happened with abit more work and planning it could of very esaily been done, the plan that i've done is just a rough plan for now which i will put on here soon so keep your eye's open for more up-dates.

And just incase anyone is going i will be going to see the Lincoln Central layout at the show in Washingborough this Saturday so if you see someone with a beard and glasses that will be me and i dont mind if you fnacy a chat about my plans for this layout and JOHN i'll be seeing you there and i'll come have a chat if thats ok.

Bye for now

Adam

Hello again everyone I've finally got round to re planning my layout using HVR 2 (Hornby virtual railway 2) which can get on my nerves at times with things not lining up right, but i am planing on getting there new program and see how i get on with that one, don't really wanna use any rail at the mo with it only being the demo I've got and being limited to only 50 bits of track, but i am looking at getting the full version soon tho, so here is the layout as it could be.

post-17808-0-92134200-1370276120_thumb.jpg

As you can see its bigger then the last one up the screen because now its going to be 16ft X 9ft with 4ft wide for the station board and 3ft wide for the sidings part and as you will also see I've put the three track's in on the bay platforms with run round into the middle track, this is to allow 2 carriage DMU's on the buffers to then come out and go past another one in front to then allow it to leave the station before the other one, and also to allow other trains to go in there and detach from the carriages then run round to the turntable which will be in on the top left of the sidings. 

As you will see the 2 tracks in the middle are going right through and over the high street crossing on the right hand side of the station, with the bay platforms stopping right up against the high street and having platform then a wall going round the back of the buffers and a footbridge going from platform 1 over to what would be platform 2 and platform 3, platform 3 being the first of the bay platforms, I've had to use the straight points for this bit because its almost impossible to use the curved points on this program but i will be using curved peco points and the same with flexi track both being in there code 100 range, so that will give me a little bit more room but not much but enough to put the crossing in.

At the top you can see that I've put some sidings in but because they wouldn't line up right even though to me they looked to be in line, i thought i would just leave them like that for now but then join them up when i build the layout, but as I've said in the past this is just a rough plan at the min till i get a different program or till i get the full any rail program i no I've not put any buildings on apart from the station but that was because i just wanted to get that done for now, because I've been thinking for a while that i wouldn't be able to fit a full length HST or full length Mallard or Flying Scotsman in the station but i can after all so thats all good now, but back to the sidings I'm hopefully going to get the four road shed by Bachmann and I've already got a turntable so I'm part way there for now just got to get my boards now then i can get started on building this bad boy at long last ;) :imsohappy: , also on the gap behind the station is where I'm going to put a back drop in to make it abit smaller for the scenics and then put a fiddle yard in but I've got to find somewhere to put the points in on one of the sides or i mite even have them running straight through from side to side not to sure yet.

So thats all for now i think but i will be putting pic's up when i get started and keep an eye out for vids on my YouTube channel aswell when things get started which maybe soon hopefully.

So let me no what you think and I'll get back to people when i can with any questions you mite have.

Bye for now

Adam

• 3 weeks later...

Hello every body I've finally got the station layout done on anyrail, i was going to try and do it with curved points but it was going to take up to much space so I've changed it as you will see below to using medium radius points then bringing the track round to start the 4 tracks through the station, at the other end where the tracks stop for the bay platforms will be where the level crossing will be as you will see below. As for the bay platforms as you will see I've put 2 lots of 3-way points in for the run round and on this one I've left the middle track going to the end where the bit of platform is, I did tray to put the footbridge in where it would be going but for some reason it wouldn't do it as I wanted, but thats probably because I using the old version because my computer is over 10 years old but I'm not sure if thats why tho but hay ho :blum:, so let me know what you think to that plan and almost forgot to say I've not put it on yet, but at the end where the first 3-way point is, is roughly where the bridge for the river will be going on the layout or even where I've put the platform numbers at the left hand side of the layout but time will tell.

So thats the least for now.

Bye for now

Adam

post-17808-0-24942600-1371666214_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone been a while since my last post, been thinking for a while what to do for the sidings part of the layout, been thinking that i could do the shed that was at St Marks or do what became the TDM which is now the home of the bus deport on Great Northern Terrace (GNT) and put a turntable in somewhere as well.

But I can't seem to find any plan's of the track that had a turntable at gnt but i think i could put one in aswell as having all the track and 4 road shed, but if i was to do the sidings of St Marks which on my plan is where the bay platforms will be going, I could get the 4 road shed on and the turntable with no problem.

But going back to the plan's I've found of the TDM the tracks as people that know Lincoln will know, went off what is the line to Market Rasen,but what I'm thinking of doing is just after the points inside the TDM and before it splits for the shed put the points in for the turntable then have the trains come off the turntable then into the shed with pits at the side of the shed which is where i think they used to be back in the days of steam, i will also include the DMU washers that where at the Pelham bridge end of the TDM, which some people mite remember where at one point bright yellow but overtime changed to a mucky or mustard looking color lol.

So for now that's what i have planned input on which to do would help a a lot so please let me know what you think to and which one mite be a a better siding plan would be better to go for.

Bye for now

Adam

OOOOO and one more bit of news which is very good news I've finally got a job :sungum: :imsohappy:  at time of post just waiting for CRB check to come back then i can get started can't wait lol.

Thank you what do you think to the plans.

Hi,

I would go for the 4 road shed and turntable as this would allow for maximum interest with locos sitting on shed as well as trains arriving and departing from the station. Why not have the 2 middle roads of the station with buffers at the level crossng end like it was at st marks then you can park up DMU's and various other items of rolling stock.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• 2 weeks later...

hi everyone just to let you no i've finally had my crb come through so now i can get started with work i am also now on facebook just look for Adam Thompson in Gainsborough and you will find me.

bye for now

Adam

Nice one mate! I went to the Gainsborough model railway clubs exhibition layout based on the ECML about 25 - 30 years ago. Would love to go back and see how it has evolved if it is all still there.

Are you any further forward with your plans?

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi jez not as yet but been thinking about what you said about the two middle tracks on the station i was thinking i could always put a run round into the middle tracks to allow a DMU at the far end of the station and to still have a freight train go through aswell what do you think.

Bye for now

Adam

Hi jez not as yet but been thinking about what you said about the two middle tracks on the station i was thinking i could always put a run round into the middle tracks to allow a DMU at the far end of the station and to still have a freight train go through aswell what do you think.

Bye for now

Adam

Good idea Adam! Then you will have a through road too.

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone I no its been a while since my last post been very very busy working, but I am planning to get my boards next month and finally get my layout started, still planning on doing what I said in my last post about the middle tracks, but the other thing I'm thinking of is putting the all over roof back on to cover the parts of the station how it used to be.

I'm finding it hard to find pics on the net of the roof I found one but it wasn't very good I no they have pics hanging in the entrance at argos with the roof still on but really doing my head in at not being able to find them on the net can anyone help.

Bye for now

Adam

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Adam,

Just been into my garage and got out two signs that I was lucky to get when I was a small boy. Back in the 80's, I lived in Saxilby just outside Lincoln and upon closure of Lincoln St Marks, I wrote to the council (with the help of my parents) and obtained permission to acquire a few signs from the station before it became the site it is today. Here are a couple of photos.

The first was cut from one of the station lamps.

post-10222-0-87535300-1388595651_thumb.jpg

The second is one of the trespassing signs. It's a sign of the times as the penalty was £25 back then!!!

post-10222-0-11559100-1388595721_thumb.jpg

I used to have a Platform One sign but it mysteriously went missing in a house move to France....

Best regards,

Jeremy

Archived