The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

A Sight To Please The Lancaster Aircraft Fans

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20886684

Wouldn't it be nice to have another 'Lanc' flying again and it could happen if this lot get their way.Gladdens the heart and this is what lottery funding should be used for.

Looking at the website it seems you can have a taxi ride in one on several days through the year with all four engines running.What a brilliant idea and moneyspinner.This along with the £50 footplate ride on Goliath from Paignton is a 1950s schoolboys dream surely.

Its 70 years in May since the Dambusters raid.

• RMweb Gold

And "The Dam Busters" was shown yesterday on Ch 5 - unedited. What a noise, all those Merlins :)

Mark

Yes I saw that. Brought back the memories. Pity that had to use Lincolns as the Lancs had already gone my then but much better than all this CGI nonsense.

I had the pleasure of meeting Fred Panton about fifteen years ago on a photoshoot at the museum. Over a cup of tea in the superb cafe there (wonderful cakes), we chatted and his passion for the place was unbelievable. At that stage, he was pretty cool on the idea of it ever flying again though, he said it was an irreplaceable piece of history he'd been given custody of and being a memorial to his brother, he'd want to make sure he did everything he could to preserve it.

The news in 2010 that there was a desire to have 611 certified to fly again didn't come as any great shock but a natural progression of the work done at East Kirkby to create a living memorial to Chris Panton and all those in Bomber Command who paid the ultimate price.

The museum is a fantastic place for a visit, non-event days are particularly poignant as the peace and tranquility of it are at odds with how it would have been there when it was operational in wartime. The cakes are still fantastic and it's dog friendly on all but flying days.

http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/

I Remember seeing this Lanc., many years ago, at Hullavington, Wilts.

The show, there, centred around flying model aircraft, but, the conversation stopper was the sound of four R.R. Merlins throttling up on the far side of the airfield.

The sound of those engines drew crowds from all points, who gathered to watch it taxi from the hanger, on to the apron..... What a magnificent sight.... I can still picture it....

..It was, even then, in pretty good nick.

From what I can recall, some time after, the aircraft was moved to Blackpool airport.

Having lost touch, over the years, It's good to see the 'Old Girl' still in one piece and undergoing TLC.......Good on yer Bros

The Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum routinely offers flights in their Lancaster, and the sound of those engines as it flys overhead is something that always grabs your attention, friends of mine have taken the flight, and are amazed that the bomber crews had to fly in some very confined spaces for long periods of time.

http://www.warplane.com/pages/aircraft_lancaster.html

• RMweb Premium

I just long for the day we'll be able to see both Lancs flying together - now that would be REALLY impressive, an unforgettable sight!

Worth it for the "Merlin Sound" x 8 alone!

• RMweb Premium

Great news. My dad was involved in the return of the Lancaster from Australia and I have a lovely colour slide of me standing under the wing in Bahrein in 1966 (I think - long time ago!!). I saw her fly then and then saw her again at Scampton when we lived there in the 70s. Dad was involved in the restoration when she was gate guardian at Scampton but I haven't seen her since those days.

It will be great to see her fly again and perhaps maybe visit Scampton again with the BBMF Lancaster.

Yes I saw that. Brought back the memories. Pity that had to use Lincolns as the Lancs had already gone my then but much better than all this CGI nonsense.

Sorry to correct, but they were able to use Lancasters in "The Dam Busters." According to the book of the same title by Jonathan Falconer, which has a chapter on filming the movie, the four main aircraft used for the flying sequences were Lancasters Mk.7, serials NX673, NX679, NX782 and RT686. The first three had already been film stars, appearing in "Appointment in London."

'673, '679 and '686 were all modified to ersatz dambuster configuration, with mid-upper gun turrets and bomb-bay doors removed, and a dummy bouncing bomb installed. '782 was left unmodified to represent Gibson's aircraft from 106 Sqn, before he was given command of 617 Sqn.

All aircraft retained their original serials for the film except '679, which had the serial of Gibson's AJ-G (ED932) added. The three modified dambuster machines wore different squadron codes on each side of the aircraft, to represent six aircraft on screen.

All four Lancs were scrapped shortly after filming.

The Lancasters were flown on screen by Lincoln bomber crews from RAF Helmswell.

Guest Belgian

Sorry to correct, but they were able to use Lancasters in "The Dam Busters." According to the book of the same title by Jonathan Falconer, which has a chapter on filming the movie, the four main aircraft used for the flying sequences were Lancasters Mk.7, serials NX673, NX679, NX782 and RT686. The first three had already been film stars, appearing in "Appointment in London."

'673, '679 and '686 were all modified to ersatz dambuster configuration, with mid-upper gun turrets and bomb-bay doors removed, and a dummy bouncing bomb installed. '782 was left unmodified to represent Gibson's aircraft from 106 Sqn, before he was given command of 617 Sqn.

All aircraft retained their original serials for the film except '679, which had the serial of Gibson's AJ-G (ED932) added. The three modified dambuster machines wore different squadron codes on each side of the aircraft, to represent six aircraft on screen.

All four Lancs were scrapped shortly after filming.

The Lancasters were flown on screen by Lincoln bomber crews from RAF Helmswell.

I believe a number of Lincolns were also used in the film, in the background when the three flying Lancasters took off, to represent a larger 'squadron' of Lancasters.

JE

I believe a number of Lincolns were also used in the film, in the background when the three flying Lancasters took off, to represent a larger 'squadron' of Lancasters.

JE

I was sure I read that somewhere too, but I couldn't see a mention of that in Mr Falconer's book. the I've just ordered the follow-up book "Filming the Dam Busters," which hopefully will clear up the matter. That's not the only reason I ordered the book, though! I'm a huge fan of the film, the mission and the squadron, and have plans to eventually make models of some of the aircraft used in the raid, and some or all of the Lancasters from the movie.

• RMweb Premium

I was sure I read that somewhere too, but I couldn't see a mention of that in Mr Falconer's book. the I've just ordered the follow-up book "Filming the Dam Busters," which hopefully will clear up the matter. That's not the only reason I ordered the book, though! I'm a huge fan of the film, the mission and the squadron, and have plans to eventually make models of some of the aircraft used in the raid, and some or all of the Lancasters from the movie.

There were certainly Lincolns based at Hemswell (not Helmswell by the way, in case anybody is looking for info under that name) at the time the film was made and it would have been quite tricky filming the scenes there without them appearing in the background!  A very well known modeller who lives nearby clearly recalls the thrill of seeing the Lincolns taking off over "The Cliff" as the ridge, on top of which Hemswell base stands, is known.

It is an excellent book with some brilliant photos and "behind the scenes" stories. Having lived at Scampton, had a father who had 617 as one of his squadrons (in Vulcan times) and having met Barnes Wallis there (I was very young and he was quite old!) I also have a good deal of personal interest! I even got to sit in both the gate guardian and the BBMF Lancasters, the latter with the engines running. Happy days.......

Tony 

Archived