Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling a traditional parcels train

No picture of the train or loco id but this info passed to me recently regarding a "return to" instruction . Friday 22 July 1988 at Stockport a Carlisle/Mayfield upside running round( we think the route was from Vic and Denton) hence the run round and pickup on the up. Formation was BG 80604 NJV 93706/886 NEX 92314 BG NDX 844512, 93886 carried a return to Longsight

post-13564-0-83975000-1517003016.jpg

The friend says this was not the only van to carry a white band, heres 4M19 bound for Red Bank with a white stripe van https://www.flickr.com/photos/neil_harvey_railway_photos/6730442543/in/album-72157628952884109/

• Like 6

OK I can usually instantly recognise NPCCS, but what is that? LMS origin? but no lookout. At least 57ft. straight side with a tumblehome... Must be LMS from truss rods - the long BG???

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul

OK I can usually instantly recognise NPCCS, but what is that? LMS origin? but no lookout. At least 57ft. straight side with a tumblehome... Must be LMS from truss rods - the long BG???

Paul

I think it an ex GWR BG (Dia K42)? Lasted in service until at least 1970 if so.

Could the Bachmann Sorting Van be found a long way from the Western region in 1963? 

I like this coach...should it be in my parcels train?

I'm sure others can provide more info but these Travelling Post Office vehicles could be seen as far North as Inverness at least, so they were well travelled. Usually they would be seen in service at night in the fastest mail trains on principal main lines, with mail being sorted en-route and often with a similar Stowage Van. Mail could be picked up and dropped off en-route non-stop using the side nets etc until this dropped out of favour. They could also be seen in some ordinary parcels trains, often as part of a returning empty service. They could also turn up tacked onto a passenger train. I have a photo in a book showing a photo of a Class 26 with just a Mk.1 BCK and a TPO in tow so you could get away with one in a short train if it takes your fancy, and in any case "Rule 1" can always apply!

There were still a lot of pre-nationalization vans about in 1963, for example the stock that was involved in the Great Train Robbery was exclusively LMS despite being the premier WCML postal.  I think the offset position of the LMS Gangways would have been something to do with that set being retained intact.

Jim

There were still a lot of pre-nationalization vans about in 1963, for example the stock that was involved in the Great Train Robbery was exclusively LMS despite being the premier WCML postal.  I think the offset position of the LMS Gangways would have been something to do with that set being retained intact.

Jim

Also the offset gangways precluded access form Passenger carrying LHCS, supposed to be a 'security' feature............

Don't help if yer robbers are outside the train tho' :no:

Having just found the 1962 Ian Allan abc of British Railways Coaches whilst [desperately!] looking for something else, I can offer information that deliveries of TPO sorting vans [POS] for other regions had begun by the beginning of 1962.  M80309-14 and E80318 had been delivered, as had Sc8035-7 which were not fitted with nets or traductors when built.  Remember that some later TPO stock was converted from BSKs.

I'm sure it's all in Parkin but forgive me for not looking right now because I still haven't found what I was looking for when I found the abc!

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Also the offset gangways precluded access form Passenger carrying LHCS, supposed to be a 'security' feature............

Don't help if yer robbers are outside the train tho' :no:

I always thought the off set gangway connection was allow for the full length of the coach to have pigeon holes for sorting the mail. Mk1s being a tad longer meant central gangways could be fitted and not lose the number of sorting tables.

It would be fascinating to ask my late Great Uncle about his experiences on the Royal Mail trains.  Having left the RN at the end of WWII he was a sorter on them.  Sadly he died long before I was interested enough in model railways to have anything other than the Hornby GWR operatign mail coach set, although my current mail train is run in his honour!

Nice photo and an inspection saloon, could post that in the Prototype for everything corner thread.

I nearly did, the saloon is probably the Newton Heath one as the window arrangement matches. Differs from the Bachmann which is the more common arrangement.

I nearly did, the saloon is probably the Newton Heath one as the window arrangement matches. Differs from the Bachmann which is the more common arrangement.

Bob,

Probably the Manchester Area Saloon usually kept in the bays at Victoria or Red Bank - never saw it at Newton Heath

Again as part of an empty parcels train for Red Bank

25042, DB999503 ManVic 010685

post-1161-0-51447600-1517528513_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I believe it differs primarily because Bachmann modelled the LMS version and that is the BR variety.

Mike.

I always thought the off set gangway connection was allow for the full length of the coach to have pigeon holes for sorting the mail. Mk1s being a tad longer meant central gangways could be fitted and not lose the number of sorting tables.

The Mk1's have the frame on one side as well, the opposite side has the hangers for the mail bags.

I'm glad to have stumbled over this thread. It brings back memories of watching them load trains in Darlington station. The train was made up of a mixture of vehicles in colours from pure filth, through dirty Bauxite, grimy Maroon, grubby Green to almost pristine Blue/Grey, all hauled by an equally filthy Green EE Type 4. The train had 4 wheel, 6 wheel and bogie vehicles distributed at random throughout, with some dating back to pre-war and others almost new. It was always amazing to me that so many Green CCTs made it to Darlington!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1