Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling a traditional parcels train

2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Is that a Monster behind the loco?

If so, I hadn't realised they'd survived so long - not a type I recall seeing on the southern at this time, although there were all sorts of other things.

See my post on this thread from just over a year ago:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Is that a Monster behind the loco?

If so, I hadn't realised they'd survived so long - not a type I recall seeing on the southern at this time, although there were all sorts of other things.

It is a Monster. I only ever saw one, IIRC, at Llanelli in the early 1970s.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Darstaed flagged last week that they are going to produce the Monster in r-t-r 0, which looks like a smart move in view of the longevity, and the variety of liveries that they must have carried under the crud.

We don't know the number of the one in the photos, but may well this one which certainly wasn't either old or cruddy when condemned a year later than those photos https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/gwrmonster/e2bbc3fcb

Antiquated yes. Would be big in 7mm - those photos show a nice comparison with GUVs alongside.

Paul

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

47 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

We don't know the number of the one in the photos, but may well this one which certainly wasn't either old or cruddy when condemned a year later than those photos https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/gwrmonster/e2bbc3fcb

Antiquated yes. Would be big in 7mm - those photos show a nice comparison with GUVs alongside.

Paul

The one I saw (in 1972, I think) was in similar condition; I believe it was W600W.

• Like 1

Off at an angle:

I think that the door design of the Monster altered at some stage between ‘early’ and ‘late’ built examples.

Did any ‘early’ ones, with louvres down as far as the door handles survive into BR use? The preserved one, 594, I think may never have passed to BR ownership, going army then industry, but I’m not sure.

EDIT: Answered for me by a friend https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/20431210374/in/photostream

Next question: how late did these early ones survive?

Edited by Nearholmer

6 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Off at an angle:

I think that the door design of the Monster altered at some stage between ‘early’ and ‘late’ built examples.

Did any ‘early’ ones, with louvres down as far as the door handles survive into BR use? The preserved one, 594, I think may never have passed to BR ownership, going army then industry, but I’m not sure.

EDIT: Answered for me by a friend https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/20431210374/in/photostream

Next question: how late did these early ones survive?

You're correct about the door design, the window frames also changed to being a plainer design.

Larkin states in BR Passenger Rated and Parcels Stock Vol 1 that after 1971 only the BR build batches of Monster remained, not much use really. I did check the RCTS observers for all of 1969 but there were no withdrawals of Monsters mentioned, in fact they listed very little detail on non passenger stock withdrawals in the copies I scanned.

Edited by Flood

1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

And now for something completely different....

Clapham Junction 25 March 1975

Does anyone know the circumstances of this incident as Googling it just brings up the 1988 crash. It looks like an EMU ran into the back of it.

All by Ian

No report in the Railway Observers at the time but W99W and W275W were noted at Old Oak Common with end collision damage late March/early April 1975. Both of these were K42 full brakes which matches the design of the two shown in the photos.

A closer look on flickr shows that the van closest to the unit (76295 = 4TC 414) is W275W (no suffix carried).

Edited by Flood
  • Informative/Useful 3

21 hours ago, Flood said:

You're correct about the door design, the window frames also changed to being a plainer design.

Larkin states in BR Passenger Rated and Parcels Stock Vol 1 that after 1971 only the BR build batches of Monster remained, not much use really. I did check the RCTS observers for all of 1969 but there were no withdrawals of Monsters mentioned, in fact they listed very little detail on non passenger stock withdrawals in the copies I scanned.

Longworth records the condemnations image.png.95738ab2be01a7e72b5cf33792d7f48c.png

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Carnforth 1972 by Paul Townsend

Carnforth

So much interesting detail in this image.

Unfinished bodywork paint on the 25, obviously released into traffic with a patch still in undercoat;

Access to the LH bay crosses the Little North Western lines (presumably there was also access to them out of shot);

Disconnected track almost obscured by the 25, but it appears to be a double slip in the foreground.  Is that a lap point to the right of the loco?

The 25kV wires were brand new then, the semaphores are still there now but it's still an unusual juxtaposition.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Northmoor said:

So much interesting detail in this image.

Unfinished bodywork paint on the 25, obviously released into traffic with a patch still in undercoat;

Access to the LH bay crosses the Little North Western lines (presumably there was also access to them out of shot);

Disconnected track almost obscured by the 25, but it appears to be a double slip in the foreground.  Is that a lap point to the right of the loco?

The 25kV wires were brand new then, the semaphores are still there now but it's still an unusual juxtaposition.

That is not unfinished paintwork. The header tank overflow/pressure relief valve is just behind the rad fan, the coolant in use to take the paint off, many Sulzer twos suffered like this.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 24/06/2021 at 19:18, montyburns56 said:

And now for something completely different....

Clapham Junction 25 March 1975

Does anyone know the circumstances of this incident as Googling it just brings up the 1988 crash. It looks like an EMU ran into the back of it.

All by Ian

Piecing together some evidence from the photos, coach S76295 is a DTS from 4TC unit 414.

Reference to the excellent Blood and Custard website gives the history of this unit here;

https://www.bloodandcustard.com/BR-3TC-4TC-4REP-Bournemouth-1966.html

That reveals that the incident in the photo on 25th March 1975.

To quote;

’…the Weymouth boat empties were being propelled into Clapham Yard when the first vehicle (a bogie mail van) jumped the points and took the next two mail vans off the road.  All three snaked across the lines, colliding with S76295 of 4TC 414.  Much “matchwood” was strewn around the yard and the TC suffered a broken front window in the driver’s cab and two wheels of the front bogie were lifted off the rails.  Two bogies from the first and second vans became completely detached.’

I hope that helps.

Edited by 4630
  • Informative/Useful 7

On 27/06/2021 at 00:29, 45125 said:

That is not unfinished paintwork. The header tank overflow/pressure relief valve is just behind the rad fan, the coolant in use to take the paint off, many Sulzer twos suffered like this.

Hi 45125,

I have a book titled, "Looking back at class 24 and 25 locomotives" that shews just what you have described and in some cases where the patch repainting displays two completely separate shades of paint to that of the original making a two tone green livery a four tone green livery.

Gibbo.

• Informative/Useful 1

37 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

A not so short TPO that includes a passenger portion.

Aberdeen to Carstairs TPO at Arbroath 1081 by Jim Ramsay

25078 - Arbroath

Passenger portion came off at Perth and the four postal vehicles were attached to the West Coast Postal at Carstairs.  In steam days it was not uncommon to have an A4 in charge.

Jim

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4