Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling a traditional parcels train

On 23/07/2021 at 20:34, roythebus1 said:

I may have mentioned it on here before, the first secondman job in 1974I done at Rugby was a parcel train to Crewe. a class 83 9I think) and a single SR utility van.

Reminds me of one of my earliest secondmanning jobs at Stonebridge Park in '83, we took an 81 off the SP and picked up a single BG from Brent Yard, took it to Hemel Hampstead, shunted it into the goods shed road and came home light engine. It took nine hours because of a signal failure at Watford!

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Depends which sort of parcels they are/were: Royal Mail Parcels; or, Railway Parcels. Some trains carried both, and Royal Mail Letters too, carefully segregated, and handled by staff of the respective organisations, but a train conveying only Royal Mail (parcels and/or letters) was a Mail Train, rather than a female one.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

23 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

St Andrews Bank in Birmingham 1985 by Geoff Dowling

The Worcester van

The view there now is spoilt by overgrown vegetation and tons and tons of litter! I wonder where the 20s were heading with that single CCT.....?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Reading sir, not Plymouth! The loco is very probably 31 117 or 31 121, Old Oak's pet 'skinheads' ;)

Empty 'Papers from the West of England; the ex-LMS brake was branded 'for use on West of England Newspaper Train Only'. My recollection is that the script was in 'Rail Alphabet' but with the typically idiosyncratic GWR- style capitalisation.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1